Average Joe Review: Illusion Audio C6 Carbon - Page 2 - Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-15-2014   #26
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 129 DonH will become famous soon enoughDonH will become famous soon enoughDonH will become famous soon enoughDonH will become famous soon enoughDonH will become famous soon enoughDonH will become famous soon enough

Default Re: Average Joe Review: Illusion Audio C6 Carbon

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
My issue with crossovers in doors is that I have seen about 4 pr of crossovers in doors over the span of my career that had coils, etc coming off the board. I don't think they are designed to be on a door that is constantly experience the shock that a door does.

I don't think it is a 50/50. I think if you asked skilled installers VERY few would say they belong in the door. To me, why take the risk? Kind of like running a wire through bare metal without a grommet. Sure, it might work for a while, but is it the right solution?

(I didn't take any offense, just offering my insight... Others could feel differently..)
not to mention water damage. you cant image the amount of crossovers we replace due to water damage from being in the door.

Rock Climbing
DonH is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-15-2014   #27
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

12V Company:
L&D Automotive
Position:
Owner

Rep Power: 150 LaserSVT will become famous soon enoughLaserSVT will become famous soon enoughLaserSVT will become famous soon enoughLaserSVT will become famous soon enoughLaserSVT will become famous soon enoughLaserSVT will become famous soon enoughLaserSVT will become famous soon enough

Send a message via Yahoo to LaserSVT

Its solid and sound insight. I have only delt with 1 set to fail but that's because the installer tightened the screws down so tight it cracked the board.
It seems though stuff may have been more rubust during the 90's. LOL

Denali:Alpine X009GM, SI TM65MKIII, SI M25, SI BM MKV, Helix G One & G Four amps.
LaserSVT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-15-2014   #28

Banned

Rep Power: 0 cajunner has a reputation beyond reputecajunner has a reputation beyond reputecajunner has a reputation beyond reputecajunner has a reputation beyond reputecajunner has a reputation beyond reputecajunner has a reputation beyond reputecajunner has a reputation beyond reputecajunner has a reputation beyond reputecajunner has a reputation beyond reputecajunner has a reputation beyond reputecajunner has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not in the habit of installing $1000 retail speakers, so obviously this post is irrelevant.

but the higher quality in the build of the crossover, the more mass in the coils and capacitors, and the greater likelihood for shock-induced damage to occur.

this may be why I've never had a problem with my crossovers in doors.

they are usually made with 20 gauge conductors and 50V or 100V poly caps, if that.

not the behemoths that the upper crusties like to use.

so people that say "never had a problem" may miss this slightly important observation.
cajunner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2014   #29
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

12V Company:
L&D Automotive
Position:
Owner

Rep Power: 150 LaserSVT will become famous soon enoughLaserSVT will become famous soon enoughLaserSVT will become famous soon enoughLaserSVT will become famous soon enoughLaserSVT will become famous soon enoughLaserSVT will become famous soon enoughLaserSVT will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by cajunner View Post
I'm not in the habit of installing $1000 retail speakers, so obviously this post is irrelevant.

but the higher quality in the build of the crossover, the more mass in the coils and capacitors, and the greater likelihood for shock-induced damage to occur.

this may be why I've never had a problem with my crossovers in doors.

they are usually made with 20 gauge conductors and 50V or 100V poly caps, if that.

not the behemoths that the upper crusties like to use.

so people that say "never had a problem" may miss this slightly important observation.
Excellent point. Before these the largest crossover I ever used was a Boston SPZ one. I only had them for a year or so before selling the car so I cant say if they lasted any longer than that. I can see what the greater possibility of damage is with larger crossovers now that you pointed it out.

I don't think I would try to shove a Focal Utopia or Hertz Mille in a door just due to sheer size. LOL

Denali:Alpine X009GM, SI TM65MKIII, SI M25, SI BM MKV, Helix G One & G Four amps.
Old 07-15-2014   #30

Banned

Rep Power: 0 cajunner has a reputation beyond reputecajunner has a reputation beyond reputecajunner has a reputation beyond reputecajunner has a reputation beyond reputecajunner has a reputation beyond reputecajunner has a reputation beyond reputecajunner has a reputation beyond reputecajunner has a reputation beyond reputecajunner has a reputation beyond reputecajunner has a reputation beyond reputecajunner has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaserSVT View Post
Excellent point. Before these the largest crossover I ever used was a Boston SPZ one. I only had them for a year or so before selling the car so I cant say if they lasted any longer than that. I can see what the greater possibility of damage is with larger crossovers now that you pointed it out.

I don't think I would try to shove a Focal Utopia or Hertz Mille in a door just due to sheer size. LOL
another good point.

the best crossovers aren't really able to fit behind a door panel. Or at least, shouldn't be squeezed through the speaker or access holes to mount inside the door, and anyone mounting a crossover actually inside the door is asking for trouble, especially in the area of window gasket leakage mounted positions.

now, if it's just the increased humidity and decreased climate control of the inner door space, say in a door without a moving window at all, that's different too.

then it's all about shock and alleviating failure modes on that front, but general corrosion concerns aside, most of the crossovers made for car use will accept a greater variety of climate conditions than the average passive for a home speaker.

when a car audio manufacturer makes their crossovers with the same price points as the home audio variety, there is less securing of components to the board, there is less structure involved.

a well-made car audio crossover should be built twice as strong as the home audio equivalent if not more, and even if less complex they should survive their install. Which is not always the case.
Old 07-15-2014   #31

Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
I am not quite sure what your post says?

There are some new, very promising drivers coming out soon from Illusion. I don't see any arc being burnt out quite yet...

Here is one thing I like about Illusion. I have talked numerous times with the guy who designs them. The guy is not some dude at a build house who throws parts together to make a speaker. He is a home audio engineer. He is in California. He knows what makes stuff sound good. He knows WAY more about things like that than I do. He can stand there with a C6 set and tell you stuff that went into its design that would give you some insight into the depths of thought that went into those drivers.

There are a number of cars on the west coast that compete with Illusion audio products and do very well.

And, to put all of this in perspective somewhat, I will exit with this picture..

I should probably also go over my somewhat unique *edit* or not reeeeally... mental process.

I see a post that is over negative, no fault of it's own, it's just meandered that way and I feel like I should tilt the balance back.

sometimes, you have to combat cynicism with overt cynicism, or heap cynicism on top of cynicism, to bring the numbers back, to get the meniscus above and below the line.

that's what my post attempted to do, in it's crude, bumbling way.

I don't believe a rash of Illusion bashing is going to result from my little "problem" of pare, or parity.

I do this all the time, but sometimes it's less subtle, for instance I was banned for doing the exact same thing, when dealing with racism-charged content.

and I don't always expect to be understood, I just think a little push to the middle is warranted...

Old 08-21-2014   #32
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

12V Company:
L&D Automotive
Position:
Owner

I have been getting some messages about what happened with the Illusions and really, not much.

I waited for final responses from Orca and after getting them I sold the tweeters and put the mids to other uses. Then someone from Orca contacted me to say they could do something about replacing the mids but I guess they changed their minds as they have yet to return a PM. No loss, as I said I still use both of them.

I have a vent above my desk that is always blowing my invoices and such around and the speaker has a great weight to hold them down.

The other is being used for my bad habits.

Good thing I don't drink! LOL

Old 08-21-2014   #33
Upgrade Your Membership!

Enthusiast

12V Company:
Pinnacle Autosound, Simplicity in Sound EAST

Rep Power: 144 JOey@simplicityinsound has a reputation beyond reputeJOey@simplicityinsound has a reputation beyond reputeJOey@simplicityinsound has a reputation beyond reputeJOey@simplicityinsound has a reputation beyond reputeJOey@simplicityinsound has a reputation beyond reputeJOey@simplicityinsound has a reputation beyond reputeJOey@simplicityinsound has a reputation beyond reputeJOey@simplicityinsound has a reputation beyond reputeJOey@simplicityinsound has a reputation beyond reputeJOey@simplicityinsound has a reputation beyond reputeJOey@simplicityinsound has a reputation beyond repute

You should buy a C10, looks like you are about to fill that C6 up pretty soon! :-)

2013 Mobile Electronics Magazine Top 12 Installer
MECP Advanced Installation Technician
www.1sixty8.com team member
JOey@simplicityinsound is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-21-2014   #34
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

12V Company:
L&D Automotive
Position:
Owner

I was thinking C12XL. Bet it can hold a cartons worth. LOL

Old 08-21-2014   #35
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 113 sirbOOm has a spectacular aura aboutsirbOOm has a spectacular aura aboutsirbOOm has a spectacular aura aboutsirbOOm has a spectacular aura aboutsirbOOm has a spectacular aura aboutsirbOOm has a spectacular aura aboutsirbOOm has a spectacular aura aboutsirbOOm has a spectacular aura aboutsirbOOm has a spectacular aura about

I don't like to do it but I've never had an issue putting a crossover in a door but I've never put in anything more complicated than a crossover like one that'd come from a JBL MS-62C or something similar. Solidly mounted with some double stick foam around it in two spots works. I put the crossover in the area between the door car and first layer of metal and try to get as close to the hinged side (front of car) vs. the back where the swing impact would be more pronounced.

2016 Ford Mustang GT PP
2019 VW Jetta S
sirbOOm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-21-2014   #36
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 186 BigRed is just really niceBigRed is just really niceBigRed is just really niceBigRed is just really niceBigRed is just really niceBigRed is just really niceBigRed is just really niceBigRed is just really niceBigRed is just really niceBigRed is just really niceBigRed is just really nice

I'm late to the party but how old were these drivers? And were they purchased from an authorized dealer? They look pretty beat up

Team Zapco
"once you go floor, you'll never go door"
"I can easily make the most expensive car stereo system sound like junk in less than 30 seconds"
BigRed is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-21-2014   #37
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

12V Company:
L&D Automotive
Position:
Owner

All in the op I believe. I bought them with a bit of usage from well known members that sell things on here all the time. They were purchased and installed at an authorized dealer that also uninstalled them. I was the next person to send a signal to them.

Old 08-22-2014   #38
Upgrade Your Membership!

Enthusiast

12V Company:
Pinnacle Autosound, Simplicity in Sound EAST

Rep Power: 144 JOey@simplicityinsound has a reputation beyond reputeJOey@simplicityinsound has a reputation beyond reputeJOey@simplicityinsound has a reputation beyond reputeJOey@simplicityinsound has a reputation beyond reputeJOey@simplicityinsound has a reputation beyond reputeJOey@simplicityinsound has a reputation beyond reputeJOey@simplicityinsound has a reputation beyond reputeJOey@simplicityinsound has a reputation beyond reputeJOey@simplicityinsound has a reputation beyond reputeJOey@simplicityinsound has a reputation beyond reputeJOey@simplicityinsound has a reputation beyond repute

I just can't believe people are selling speakers full of used cigarettes now! Craziness!!!

2013 Mobile Electronics Magazine Top 12 Installer
MECP Advanced Installation Technician
www.1sixty8.com team member
JOey@simplicityinsound is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-22-2014   #39
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 186 BigRed is just really niceBigRed is just really niceBigRed is just really niceBigRed is just really niceBigRed is just really niceBigRed is just really niceBigRed is just really niceBigRed is just really niceBigRed is just really niceBigRed is just really niceBigRed is just really nice

A bit of usage? Look at the screw indent on that one driver. Holy moly . Sorry u had a bad experience with them but being the third owner and the one driver looking like that it would be hard for me to warranty them if I were the mfgr.

Team Zapco
"I can easily make the most expensive car stereo system sound like junk in less than 30 seconds"
Old 08-22-2014   #40
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

12V Company:
L&D Automotive
Position:
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRed View Post
A bit of usage? Look at the screw indent on that one driver. Holy moly . Sorry u had a bad experience with them but being the third owner and the one driver looking like that it would be hard for me to warranty them if I were the mfgr.
Oh I don't blame Orca. They could if they wanted to but I don't blame them for not replacing them. And yes, very very little use. The person they came from is known ONLY to sell perfect stuff.

As for the way they failed, it is identical to how several other members on here C6 sets have failed. Like EXACTLY the same. A couple have had the drivers replaced several times, a couple have had them replaced once and no longer have issue and a couple have give up on them entirely.

Orca is a great company to deal with and I will buy Focal speakers again. Jacob is very helpful but his hands are tied. I understand.
Illusion I will never buy again though due to my issues and what others have had happen.
That's not to say they are a bad company but they were not good to me.

I have been told by 12 people now that they returned or canceled their orders due to this review. I have mixed feelings about this. On one hand it may have saved them some headache but on the other they may have never had an issue with theirs and are missing out on one superb tweeter.

I am not telling anyone not to buy Illusions. I am only stating my experience with them. I know where they came from and who installed and know that none of the issues were install/previous owner related. Defective drivers. Plain and simple. It is what it is.

All I know is I have much cheaper drivers in there now that perform 10x better and are significantly louder and clearer.

Old 08-22-2014   #41
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

I hear ya man. No worries.

Team Zapco
Old 08-29-2014   #42
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

12V Company:
L&D Automotive
Position:
Owner

Test.

Old 08-29-2014   #43
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 142 "that boy asad" will become famous soon enough"that boy asad" will become famous soon enough"that boy asad" will become famous soon enough"that boy asad" will become famous soon enough"that boy asad" will become famous soon enough"that boy asad" will become famous soon enough

Send a message via AIM to "that boy asad"

I don't mind taking those cigarette infested woofers from you

Mark Levinson | illusion Audio | Mosconi
"that boy asad" is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-29-2014   #44
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

12V Company:
L&D Automotive
Position:
Owner

They don't work as noise makers and I am using them. Makes for an interesting conversation piece at my shop.

Old 10-02-2014   #45
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 157 BlueAc will become famous soon enoughBlueAc will become famous soon enoughBlueAc will become famous soon enoughBlueAc will become famous soon enoughBlueAc will become famous soon enoughBlueAc will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaserSVT View Post
Oh I don't blame Orca. They could if they wanted to but I don't blame them for not replacing them. And yes, very very little use. The person they came from is known ONLY to sell perfect stuff.

As for the way they failed, it is identical to how several other members on here C6 sets have failed. Like EXACTLY the same. A couple have had the drivers replaced several times, a couple have had them replaced once and no longer have issue and a couple have give up on them entirely.

Orca is a great company to deal with and I will buy Focal speakers again. Jacob is very helpful but his hands are tied. I understand.
Illusion I will never buy again though due to my issues and what others have had happen.
That's not to say they are a bad company but they were not good to me.

I have been told by 12 people now that they returned or canceled their orders due to this review. I have mixed feelings about this. On one hand it may have saved them some headache but on the other they may have never had an issue with theirs and are missing out on one superb tweeter.

I am not telling anyone not to buy Illusions. I am only stating my experience with them. I know where they came from and who installed and know that none of the issues were install/previous owner related. Defective drivers. Plain and simple. It is what it is.

All I know is I have much cheaper drivers in there now that perform 10x better and are significantly louder and clearer.
My Carbon's pooped the bed again. I think this is like the 5th or 6th time now. I've tried everything up to and including changing my radio to get a better signal. I'm probably done with these speakers. They sound good when working but they just don't last. I have to consult with my installer to find a good set of replacements.

2007 Chevy Tahoe Z71- Pioneer AVH-W4400NEX / Helix DSP.2 / Focal ES 165K2 / Morel Maximo 6 / JL Audio 12w6v3 / Arc Audio 1100.5 (highs/rear/sub) / Arc Audio KS300.2 (mids)
BlueAc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-03-2014   #46
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

12V Company:
L&D Automotive
Position:
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueAc View Post
My Carbon's pooped the bed again. I think this is like the 5th or 6th time now. I've tried everything up to and including changing my radio to get a better signal. I'm probably done with these speakers. They sound good when working but they just don't last. I have to consult with my installer to find a good set of replacements.
Sorry to hear that man. I have quite a few messages from people that have had the same issues over the last month or so. Kinda ticks me off now the more I think about it as it is pretty obvious there are issues with a good portion of these speakers yet my amps were blamed by Orca.

Old 11-29-2014   #47
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 97 Maximilliano will become famous soon enoughMaximilliano will become famous soon enoughMaximilliano will become famous soon enoughMaximilliano will become famous soon enoughMaximilliano will become famous soon enoughMaximilliano will become famous soon enough

I'm having the exact same issue with a set of drivers that I purchased from a local dealer. I've bench tested them but have found that the speaker lead to the coil is damaged. Dealer said they would swap but I cannot risk going through multiple drivers to get one which will work for short durations and having to swap out constantly. One driver appears to be fine but the other is toast. tweeters however work perfectly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=45p2qW1-AiM
Maximilliano is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-01-2014   #48
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 216 tyroneshoes has a spectacular aura abouttyroneshoes has a spectacular aura abouttyroneshoes has a spectacular aura abouttyroneshoes has a spectacular aura abouttyroneshoes has a spectacular aura abouttyroneshoes has a spectacular aura abouttyroneshoes has a spectacular aura abouttyroneshoes has a spectacular aura abouttyroneshoes has a spectacular aura abouttyroneshoes has a spectacular aura about

Whats a shame about all this is pior to illusion being revamped, they sold Luccent 6.5s fo $40 a pair on ebay (old stock I guess) and I installed a set in my close friends car and 7 years later, not an issue. Still sound great. I never installed the carbon woofer because they looked too small.

Seems like the previous generation of illusions were more rugged.

Kenwood dnx573s - Kenwood X4R - MB Quart QTF 40 - Alpine F17 - Kenwood X1R - Sundown SD3-10
tyroneshoes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-01-2014   #49
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 113 sirbOOm has a spectacular aura aboutsirbOOm has a spectacular aura aboutsirbOOm has a spectacular aura aboutsirbOOm has a spectacular aura aboutsirbOOm has a spectacular aura aboutsirbOOm has a spectacular aura aboutsirbOOm has a spectacular aura aboutsirbOOm has a spectacular aura aboutsirbOOm has a spectacular aura about

Maybe their factory is screwing them over with incorrect materials or build quality... happens. Or maybe a couple duds made their way to the boards here. I sure have whined about my ZED amps but I should hope my experience is not typical.

2016 Ford Mustang GT PP
2019 VW Jetta S
sirbOOm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-30-2015   #50
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

12V Company:
L&D Automotive
Position:
Owner

So its been a couple months now that Orca has had them. Not getting calls or emails returned. Been trying for a couple weeks now. If they aint gonna fix or replace them I sure wish they would send them back.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement