PPI DSP-88R - Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-21-2014   #1
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 161 stereo_luver is a jewel in the roughstereo_luver is a jewel in the roughstereo_luver is a jewel in the roughstereo_luver is a jewel in the roughstereo_luver is a jewel in the roughstereo_luver is a jewel in the roughstereo_luver is a jewel in the roughstereo_luver is a jewel in the roughstereo_luver is a jewel in the roughstereo_luver is a jewel in the roughstereo_luver is a jewel in the rough

Default PPI DSP-88R

Has anyone other than myself spent some time with this processor? Thoughts?

Chuck

HU, Processor, Amps, Drivers.
stereo_luver is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-21-2014   #2

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 93 REGULARCAB will become famous soon enoughREGULARCAB will become famous soon enoughREGULARCAB will become famous soon enoughREGULARCAB will become famous soon enoughREGULARCAB will become famous soon enoughREGULARCAB will become famous soon enoughREGULARCAB will become famous soon enough

Default Re: PPI DSP-88R

Quote:
Originally Posted by stereo_luver View Post
Has anyone other than myself spent some time with this processor? Thoughts?

Chuck
Just got mine installed but was waiting to do a full review until I actually get my fronts in. So far it started up flawlessly and I hear no noise. I will say the system plug and the controller plug seem a little loose but should stay in. Also the back plate rattled like crazy, but was an easy fix.

I will post up my thoughts and some pics once I have everything really up and running. I would love to hear what you think about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thehatedguy View Post
If you spend 6500 on a single sub, I will drive to your house and punch you in the balls.

Last edited by REGULARCAB; 07-21-2014 at 04:49 PM..
REGULARCAB is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-21-2014   #3

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 93 REGULARCAB will become famous soon enoughREGULARCAB will become famous soon enoughREGULARCAB will become famous soon enoughREGULARCAB will become famous soon enoughREGULARCAB will become famous soon enoughREGULARCAB will become famous soon enoughREGULARCAB will become famous soon enough

I suppose this is as good a place as any to post up some stuff. It will all be in my build log as well.

A few pics if yall want them of my unboxing of the PPI DSP-88r. I of course did not upload the pics of the actual unit, but we all know what it looks like.

The controller, with a pack of smokes to reference size

The controller cable

The wiring harness. There is also a wiring diagram sticker on the bottom of the unit...pic has yet to be found

The usb cable

Quote:
If you spend 6500 on a single sub, I will drive to your house and punch you in the balls.

Old 07-21-2014   #4

Enthusiast

Bump for the OP because I too would like to know what others have experienced.

Quote:
Old 07-22-2014   #5

Rep Power: 78 etroze will become famous soon enoughetroze will become famous soon enoughetroze will become famous soon enoughetroze will become famous soon enoughetroze will become famous soon enoughetroze will become famous soon enough

Working on the idea of putting my stock hu in or run this off my 80prs. Then the tinkering begins lol.

Pioneer AVH-X4700BS->Helix DSP->Mosconi AS100.4-> KAXBLTW, AS100.4-> Hertz ML1600, Mosconi AS300.2-> SI 12 MagV3
etroze is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-04-2014   #6

Rep Power: 65 Tacoma Dynamics will become famous soon enoughTacoma Dynamics will become famous soon enoughTacoma Dynamics will become famous soon enoughTacoma Dynamics will become famous soon enoughTacoma Dynamics will become famous soon enoughTacoma Dynamics will become famous soon enough

I've been playing around with the 88R for a few weeks now and I like it. I have no other dsp experience though. zero noise and the all in one screen is simple and easy. the remote is very small and only controls input, volume and preset number. easy to hide I guess. not sure if other processor do it but it would be nice if the eq affected L/R at the same time other than muting drivers to hear the effects. only issue I've had was not being able to save and readjust any new presets which left my tweeters screaming at me for a few weeks. I tried two other computers and the problem went away so I don't blame the unit. for $200 I think it does everything a dsp newcomer would want or for someone who doesn't need to control every little thing and likes clean and simple. the crossover control and slope is great. can set it anywhere between 20-20khz you please. didn't know in 3way mode two outputs only get 11 bands of eq but prob enough for a driver covering fewer octaves. I'm happy, and keepin it until it breaks. or I get rich.

Idmax10v3, Hertz ML1600 & ML28, PPI DSP-88R, Alpine mrx-m110, Hertz EP-4, Pioneer deh-x6500bt, big 3 and extra battery, 2" lift and 33's. i'm on a relentless pursuit of audio perfection.
Tacoma Dynamics is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-06-2014   #7
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 156 wdemetrius1 will become famous soon enoughwdemetrius1 will become famous soon enoughwdemetrius1 will become famous soon enoughwdemetrius1 will become famous soon enoughwdemetrius1 will become famous soon enoughwdemetrius1 will become famous soon enough

Good review.

2012 MECA World Finals Street National Runner Up!!!
2012 MECA Street National Points Champion!!!
2012 MECA Street Georgia State Champion!!!
2011 MECA Street Georgia State Champion!!!
wdemetrius1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-06-2014   #8
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 188 Bayboy has much to be proud ofBayboy has much to be proud ofBayboy has much to be proud ofBayboy has much to be proud ofBayboy has much to be proud ofBayboy has much to be proud ofBayboy has much to be proud ofBayboy has much to be proud ofBayboy has much to be proud ofBayboy has much to be proud ofBayboy has much to be proud of

The limited bands on on the sub & tweeter I believe, seems justified. They simply don't need it unless one is going to use the unit in another way other than designed.

OAN... this great news! No noise with little to no issues for that price is a steal! What about actual output voltage?

Bayboy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-06-2014   #9
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 113 sirbOOm has a spectacular aura aboutsirbOOm has a spectacular aura aboutsirbOOm has a spectacular aura aboutsirbOOm has a spectacular aura aboutsirbOOm has a spectacular aura aboutsirbOOm has a spectacular aura aboutsirbOOm has a spectacular aura aboutsirbOOm has a spectacular aura aboutsirbOOm has a spectacular aura about

I couldn't do this just because of the screen printed "hey I'm right here" controller. Looks like a mini-CB. But then again my RF 360's blue lights are like boat beacons...

2016 Ford Mustang GT PP
2019 VW Jetta S
sirbOOm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-06-2014   #10
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 188 Bayboy has much to be proud ofBayboy has much to be proud ofBayboy has much to be proud ofBayboy has much to be proud ofBayboy has much to be proud ofBayboy has much to be proud ofBayboy has much to be proud ofBayboy has much to be proud ofBayboy has much to be proud ofBayboy has much to be proud ofBayboy has much to be proud of

Is it my phone acting up or are the pics not showing?

Old 08-06-2014   #11

Enthusiast

Pics are there for me. I too am not liking the look of the controller but its a minor thing. I mean I would rather have the mosconi controller... But you know

Quote:
Old 08-06-2014   #12
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Ahhh... must be tapatalk. Switched to web view and is visible.

Old 08-06-2014   #13

Rep Power: 65 Tacoma Dynamics will become famous soon enoughTacoma Dynamics will become famous soon enoughTacoma Dynamics will become famous soon enoughTacoma Dynamics will become famous soon enoughTacoma Dynamics will become famous soon enoughTacoma Dynamics will become famous soon enough

The limited eq isn't limited for any particular driver except the sub. you can hook up drivers to any other of the six channels. I havnt actually measured the output voltage but my deck spec is up to 2v and now with the dsp I can have my gains at zero when they were about half way before. and some bad news, since I last posted I've encountered the preset issue again. seems like a software issue cause it will save when I mute a channel but my tweeter levels keep going back to a previous setting, which is too high. tech support told me to check a wire and i'll do that next chance I get. it's strange I can make saves and switch between them just fine but after cycling the ignition they go back to the way they were. once again I'm not condemning the until I figure out if it's the wiring or something else. I installed this and it's past 30 days so I hope ocs will take care of this if it is indeed the dsp. I really like this thing but I'm starting to get bummed out. it will derail my system for the remainder of the summer if I don't figure this out. once you go dsp, there's no going back.

Idmax10v3, Hertz ML1600 & ML28, PPI DSP-88R, Alpine mrx-m110, Hertz EP-4, Pioneer deh-x6500bt, big 3 and extra battery, 2" lift and 33's. i'm on a relentless pursuit of audio perfection.
Old 08-11-2014   #14
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 127 Alrojoca will become famous soon enoughAlrojoca will become famous soon enoughAlrojoca will become famous soon enoughAlrojoca will become famous soon enoughAlrojoca will become famous soon enoughAlrojoca will become famous soon enoughAlrojoca will become famous soon enough

So! how many eq bands for the sub section then?

Al

Pioneer Deh 80 Prs, JBL MS amps
Alrojoca is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-11-2014   #15

Banned

Rep Power: 0 Ultimateherts will become famous soon enoughUltimateherts will become famous soon enoughUltimateherts will become famous soon enoughUltimateherts will become famous soon enoughUltimateherts will become famous soon enoughUltimateherts will become famous soon enoughUltimateherts will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacoma Dynamics View Post
it's strange I can make saves and switch between them just fine but after cycling the ignition they go back to the way they were. once again I'm not condemning the until I figure out if it's the wiring or something else.
yeah that is definitely a wiring issue. To me it sounds like you have the 12volt constant wired backwards
Ultimateherts is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-12-2014   #16
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 119 ZeblodS will become famous soon enoughZeblodS will become famous soon enoughZeblodS will become famous soon enoughZeblodS will become famous soon enoughZeblodS will become famous soon enoughZeblodS will become famous soon enough

If I may add, this DSP is commercialized under a lot a different brands, such as Acustika DSP-1, Soudstream Harmony, PPI DSP-88R, BLAM LS28, and lot more not really known is Europe or America.
It's in fact a chinese product built only for rebranding, and mostly used in Asia and Africa in big setup for contests.

1995 Volvo 854 T-5R
ZeblodS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-12-2014   #17
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 139 PUREAUDIO will become famous soon enoughPUREAUDIO will become famous soon enoughPUREAUDIO will become famous soon enoughPUREAUDIO will become famous soon enoughPUREAUDIO will become famous soon enoughPUREAUDIO will become famous soon enough

[QUOTE=ZeblodS;2147625]If I may add, this DSP is commercialized under a lot a different brands, such as Acustika DSP-1, Soudstream Harmony, PPI DSP-88R, BLAM LS28, and lot more not really known is Europe or America.

Would you know if the Acustika or the BLAM could be bought in the states?

project 2013 GMC Sierra: underconstruction because i can't make up my damn mind.
PUREAUDIO is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-12-2014   #18
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 119 ZeblodS will become famous soon enoughZeblodS will become famous soon enoughZeblodS will become famous soon enoughZeblodS will become famous soon enoughZeblodS will become famous soon enoughZeblodS will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by PUREAUDIO View Post
Would you know if the Acustika or the BLAM could be bought in the states?
Acustika is a Thai brand (https://th-th.facebook.com/AcustikaDSP1) and seems to be sold only in Thailand.
BLAM is a brand made from a French guy, but whoses primary market is Asia and Arabia (sold in only one online seller in France afaik). For exemple:
-https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...8287684&type=1
-https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=1&theater

If you search on the web in Asia, I'm pretty sur you'll find other brand which sell the exact same product.

1995 Volvo 854 T-5R

Last edited by ZeblodS; 08-12-2014 at 06:11 AM..
Old 08-12-2014   #19
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

12V Company:
Ground Zero USA

Rep Power: 280 Scott@GZUSA has a reputation beyond reputeScott@GZUSA has a reputation beyond reputeScott@GZUSA has a reputation beyond reputeScott@GZUSA has a reputation beyond reputeScott@GZUSA has a reputation beyond reputeScott@GZUSA has a reputation beyond reputeScott@GZUSA has a reputation beyond reputeScott@GZUSA has a reputation beyond reputeScott@GZUSA has a reputation beyond reputeScott@GZUSA has a reputation beyond reputeScott@GZUSA has a reputation beyond repute

Scott@GZUSA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-12-2014   #20
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

I know they're all the same, but those foreign processors make the others look like poo aesthetically. Brushed cases look great!
Old 08-13-2014   #21
DIYMA 500 Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post

Nice!

Cirrus Logic CS47048C-DQZ, a chip with ADC/DAC/DSP all-in-one.
-98dB THD for both ADC and DAC isn't really great though, and the DSP part seems a bit limited. But as long as it do the trick, it can be a good cheap sound processor.

1995 Volvo 854 T-5R
Old 08-18-2014   #22

Figured I would report back about my preset saving issue. definitely wasn't a wiring problem. must be software or an internal issue. I was going to send it back but I decided to swap channels between the tweeters and mids cause I don't need to adjust the levels on the mids but maybe .5-1.0 db's on the LH mid. everything is great now! I'm so relieved. living in Alaska it's expensive to sends things back and forth not to mention the time it takes as well. I know the unit isnt 100% but it does what I need it to do. customer service was great. I talked to the same guy both times and he walked me through everything with equipment infront of both of us. no other issues with the unit and I am really happy with it. anyone know what the Q adjustment does below each channel?

Old 08-18-2014   #23
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 127 Alrojoca will become famous soon enoughAlrojoca will become famous soon enoughAlrojoca will become famous soon enoughAlrojoca will become famous soon enoughAlrojoca will become famous soon enoughAlrojoca will become famous soon enoughAlrojoca will become famous soon enough

Al

Pioneer Deh 80 Prs, JBL MS amps
Alrojoca is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-18-2014   #24
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacoma Dynamics View Post
anyone know what the Q adjustment does below each channel?
Width of frequencies affected.

Old 08-18-2014   #25

Rep Power: 63 BlueGhost will become famous soon enoughBlueGhost will become famous soon enoughBlueGhost will become famous soon enoughBlueGhost will become famous soon enoughBlueGhost will become famous soon enoughBlueGhost will become famous soon enoughBlueGhost will become famous soon enough

I don't have one, yet, but I have played with the software. When you adjust Q you can see its affect on frequency width in the graph in the center of the screen.
BlueGhost is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement