Comprehensive Review: " APL1 " - Advanced DSP / EQ / Phase Correction Unit - Page 40 - Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-18-2018   #976
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 125 LumbermanSVO will become famous soon enoughLumbermanSVO will become famous soon enoughLumbermanSVO will become famous soon enoughLumbermanSVO will become famous soon enoughLumbermanSVO will become famous soon enoughLumbermanSVO will become famous soon enoughLumbermanSVO will become famous soon enough

Default Re: Comprehensive Review: " APL1 " - Advanced DSP / EQ / Phase Correction Unit

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainobvious View Post
Nice Raimonds!

Is there a connection for the ribbon cable of the preset switch on the outside of the enclosure?

-Steve
I wouldn't be surprised if it's the same as the APL1, where the ribbon cable is sandwiched between the lid and the rest of the case.

I do need to get more info from Raimonds about how to make a simple 2-tune switch from the ribbon cable.

When the top comes off, the tops come off!
1986 Bronco Build
2010 Miata Build
LumbermanSVO is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-18-2018   #977
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 187 Weightless will become famous soon enoughWeightless will become famous soon enoughWeightless will become famous soon enoughWeightless will become famous soon enoughWeightless will become famous soon enoughWeightless will become famous soon enoughWeightless will become famous soon enough

Default Re: Comprehensive Review: " APL1 " - Advanced DSP / EQ / Phase Correction Unit

Quote:
Originally Posted by LumbermanSVO View Post
...I do need to get more info from Raimonds about how to make a simple 2-tune switch from the ribbon cable...
I'll get you started. I was going to do something similar, because when will I ever need 16 presets?

He sent me the pinout for the rotary knob. I haven't had a chance to take it past that, though.

His response about the pinout:

"Yes, you can use any multi-conductor cable and no need for shield.

Actually working wires are 5.

Here is cable's pinout

1 signal 1

2 ground

3 signal 2

4 ground

5 not in use

6 ground

7 signal 3

8 ground

9 signal 4

10 ground

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

...you got it buddy, the large print giveth and the small print taketh away...
Weightless is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to Weightless For This Useful Post:
captainobvious (03-19-2018)
Old 03-18-2018   #978
Upgrade Your Membership!

http://*****aplaudio*****/

12V Company:
Acoustic Power Lab APL
Position:
chairman

Rep Power: 63 Raimonds will become famous soon enoughRaimonds will become famous soon enoughRaimonds will become famous soon enoughRaimonds will become famous soon enoughRaimonds will become famous soon enoughRaimonds will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bnlcmbcar View Post
How soon can we expect the car version of the APL1012 to be available for purchase? Any pricing yet?

Iím going back and forth between going with APL-1S unit or the Dirac DDRC 22D or DDRC 88a. This car version APL1012 seems to be the most ideal!!
It is available! Please make your offer : )

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainobvious View Post
Nice Raimonds!

Is there a connection for the ribbon cable of the preset switch on the outside of the enclosure?

-Steve
YES! You can see two mini XLRs on back panel. The 5 pin one is for preset switch. The 3 pin one is for remote volume control.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oliverlim View Post
I also noticed that there is no optical input?
The optical in is available on main PCB temporarily.

Raimonds is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to Raimonds For This Useful Post:
captainobvious (03-19-2018)

Old 03-19-2018   #979

Rep Power: 0 Spartak802 will become famous soon enoughSpartak802 will become famous soon enoughSpartak802 will become famous soon enoughSpartak802 will become famous soon enoughSpartak802 will become famous soon enoughSpartak802 will become famous soon enough

APL1012 - Great device! Especially for those who will make 3-way active install. As I understood, appart from the preset switch, there is a separate volume control for the whole system. Or for subwoofer channel only?

Looking forward to install it in a new car.

Recently I have read an article by Chris Huff "Seven keys to making voices sound like you want them to sound" published in Church Sound 3/2018 and it reminded me some discussions about the target curve called mp1 from Rajmonds Scuruls.

Recommendations mentioned in this article are quite simple, but after their implementation, you will be surprised of how the shape of the final frequency response curve looks like. it is almost similar to the above mentioned target curve mp1. And it makes sense.

Last edited by Spartak802; 03-20-2018 at 01:11 AM..
Spartak802 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-21-2018   #980

Rep Power: 59 Durgesh will become famous soon enoughDurgesh will become famous soon enoughDurgesh will become famous soon enoughDurgesh will become famous soon enoughDurgesh will become famous soon enoughDurgesh will become famous soon enough

I was planning to upgrade my processor and have finally decided to buy either APL1 or 1012. Already in conversation with Raimonds on the purchase.

I am in two minds...whether I should buy 3 units of Apl-1 or 1xAPL1012.

3xApl1 should give me more freedom of use. My existing processor is alpine pxa-h800 which can do active 3 way front+ sub and also multichannel 5.1 surround (2way front/centre/rear/sub)

Having three units of Apl-1 will give me 06 channels of analogue input and 6 on output. They can used in multichanel surround system also. 3xApl can be placed between pxa-h800 and the amps.

Similarly I can use them in my HT also for testing the differnce in sq. At least front/center/sub and a pair of surround out from my Av-processor can be processed for eq with Apl-1.

My current car setup is 3way active front + sub setup.
1xApl1 can be used for mid range + tweeter (with passive crossover)
1xApl1 can be used for midbass
1◊Apl1 for sub (or rears if I add later)
All 3 units can be placed between my existing dsp and amps. Crossover and Ta can be managed from the dsp.

1xAPL-1012 will give more control in a 3way active front + sub+rears.

Considing the flexibbility 3xapl1 will provide, will Apl-1012 provide any major noticeable benefits in sq?

Pls help me in deciding.

Thanks

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Durgesh is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-24-2018   #981
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 119 Miguel mac will become famous soon enoughMiguel mac will become famous soon enoughMiguel mac will become famous soon enoughMiguel mac will become famous soon enoughMiguel mac will become famous soon enoughMiguel mac will become famous soon enough

Hi

Is someone using the VST?
Miguel mac is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-28-2018   #982

Rep Power: 0 Spartak802 will become famous soon enoughSpartak802 will become famous soon enoughSpartak802 will become famous soon enoughSpartak802 will become famous soon enoughSpartak802 will become famous soon enoughSpartak802 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miguel mac View Post
Hi

Is someone using the VST?
I do - with foobar2000 in Windows and with Viper4a in Android OS. What is the question? Do you have some issues with it?
Old 04-21-2018   #983
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 125 LumbermanSVO will become famous soon enoughLumbermanSVO will become famous soon enoughLumbermanSVO will become famous soon enoughLumbermanSVO will become famous soon enoughLumbermanSVO will become famous soon enoughLumbermanSVO will become famous soon enoughLumbermanSVO will become famous soon enough

I was just scanning this thread again because I'll be doing some more tuning soon. In the very first post there is a screen shot of Coneq PE1, and in that screenshot is the web address Coneq Out of curiosity I went there. I poked around on both branches of that site and was a surprised at how similar the software seemed to APL Workshop. Heck, the software for this hardware is even called Coneq Workshop!

As a Mac user, I was excited to see the Mac software, so I downloaded it. Unfortunately, I don't have a license key, and finding a way to get one is... Difficult. Hmmm.

So I continued to poke around on the site and found this: http://www.coneqpro.com/en/downloads...ologyshort.pdf
Read the History paragraph.

So now I have a couple questions for Raimonds:

1: Is Coneq Workshop compatible with the APL1?
2: If so, how do I get a license?
3: I got a warning about the software being old when I ran it on MacOS 10.13.4, have you ended development of it?

1986 Bronco Build
2010 Miata Build
Old 04-21-2018   #984

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 94 Elgrosso will become famous soon enoughElgrosso will become famous soon enoughElgrosso will become famous soon enoughElgrosso will become famous soon enoughElgrosso will become famous soon enoughElgrosso will become famous soon enoughElgrosso will become famous soon enough

Curious to get the end of this business story too, they have cool hardware and apparently use the same algorithm, but last time I tried when I had my apl was with no luck too.
But even if itís outdated and feature limited Iíd be interested.

Elgrosso is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-21-2018   #985
DIYMA 500 Club

Both companies are built on Raimonds tech, I wonder why the split?

Not having to fire up Windows would be awfully nice, especially now that JL has MacOS software for TŁN.

1986 Bronco Build
2010 Miata Build
Old 04-22-2018   #986

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 94 Elgrosso will become famous soon enoughElgrosso will become famous soon enoughElgrosso will become famous soon enoughElgrosso will become famous soon enoughElgrosso will become famous soon enoughElgrosso will become famous soon enoughElgrosso will become famous soon enough

How do you like TŁN so far?
I only quickly played with it, and if it looked nice I was a bit perplex.
But it must the mini plugins habits, I canít see myself dropping the biquads and rew integration though.

Old 04-22-2018   #987
DIYMA 500 Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elgrosso View Post
How do you like TŁN so far?
I only quickly played with it, and if it looked nice I was a bit perplex.
But it must the mini plugins habits, I canít see myself dropping the biquads and rew integration though.
At the moment, I'm not too happy with it, see here: https://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/...8-post231.html

1986 Bronco Build
2010 Miata Build
Old 04-22-2018   #988
Upgrade Your Membership!

12V Company:
Acoustic Power Lab APL
Position:
chairman

Rep Power: 63 Raimonds will become famous soon enoughRaimonds will become famous soon enoughRaimonds will become famous soon enoughRaimonds will become famous soon enoughRaimonds will become famous soon enoughRaimonds will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by LumbermanSVO View Post
I was just scanning this thread again because I'll be doing some more tuning soon. In the very first post there is a screen shot of Coneq PE1, and in that screenshot is the web address Coneq Out of curiosity I went there. I poked around on both branches of that site and was a surprised at how similar the software seemed to APL Workshop. Heck, the software for this hardware is even called Coneq Workshop!

As a Mac user, I was excited to see the Mac software, so I downloaded it. Unfortunately, I don't have a license key, and finding a way to get one is... Difficult. Hmmm.

So I continued to poke around on the site and found this: http://www.coneqpro.com/en/downloads...ologyshort.pdf
Read the History paragraph.

So now I have a couple questions for Raimonds:

1: Is Coneq Workshop compatible with the APL1?
2: If so, how do I get a license?
3: I got a warning about the software being old when I ran it on MacOS 10.13.4, have you ended development of it?
Hi,
Everything mentioned is at least 10 years old and stolen in that time.
Therefore, no any kind of support ...
Real Sound Lab is dead for long years already. Thanks to enormous level of crime ...

Regarding working environment.
From time to time I am suggesting to add to your measurement mic and sound card a piece of hardware for about $100 with 4 core 1.8GHz processor, 4G RAM, HDMI, Ethernet, Wifi, 2 USB and W10.
It is taking 2Wats from 5V power supply ...
Its size is 12x12x2 cm
It is called mini PC

Old 05-09-2018   #989

Is there a happy owner of the APL1012 on this forum? Wondering to hear a little review and practical experience with it. Pros and cons if any.
Old 05-09-2018   #990
Upgrade Your Membership!

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 47 Holmz will become famous soon enoughHolmz will become famous soon enoughHolmz will become famous soon enoughHolmz will become famous soon enoughHolmz will become famous soon enoughHolmz will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartak802 View Post
Is there a happy owner of the APL1012 on this forum? Wondering to hear a little review and practical experience with it. Pros and cons if any.
If you can wait a month or 3 then I will supply a review for you.

As far as the practical experience...

I have a new battery for the Mrs' MacBook-P, and I chucked in a new SSD into her windows work computer, so I have been going slow on the S/W front.
(Job 1 is to get S/W installed under the parallels VM)

But these things are the same for most tuning S/W that are windows based.
Holmz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-09-2018   #991

Enthusiast

Quote:
We should get feedback soon >
https://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/...-build-17.html

Old 05-17-2018   #992
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 322 Hanatsu has a reputation beyond reputeHanatsu has a reputation beyond reputeHanatsu has a reputation beyond reputeHanatsu has a reputation beyond reputeHanatsu has a reputation beyond reputeHanatsu has a reputation beyond reputeHanatsu has a reputation beyond reputeHanatsu has a reputation beyond reputeHanatsu has a reputation beyond reputeHanatsu has a reputation beyond reputeHanatsu has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elgrosso View Post

Yep, been a little busy. Review is 90% done, should be posted in coming days. Itís a very interesting unit...

# In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act # (George Orwell)

- Active Build Thread - VW Passat 1.8T (2000) -
Hanatsu is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-17-2018   #993
Upgrade Your Membership!

Diyma Ninja

Rep Power: 275 thehatedguy has much to be proud ofthehatedguy has much to be proud ofthehatedguy has much to be proud ofthehatedguy has much to be proud ofthehatedguy has much to be proud ofthehatedguy has much to be proud ofthehatedguy has much to be proud ofthehatedguy has much to be proud ofthehatedguy has much to be proud ofthehatedguy has much to be proud ofthehatedguy has much to be proud of

Waiting on one to get here...I hope I can figure it out and love it.
thehatedguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to thehatedguy For This Useful Post:
captainobvious (05-18-2018)
Old 05-22-2018   #994
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 322 Hanatsu has a reputation beyond reputeHanatsu has a reputation beyond reputeHanatsu has a reputation beyond reputeHanatsu has a reputation beyond reputeHanatsu has a reputation beyond reputeHanatsu has a reputation beyond reputeHanatsu has a reputation beyond reputeHanatsu has a reputation beyond reputeHanatsu has a reputation beyond reputeHanatsu has a reputation beyond reputeHanatsu has a reputation beyond repute

Here's a review of the new 1012 unit if you missed it:

APL 1012 DSP

# In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act # (George Orwell)

- Active Build Thread - VW Passat 1.8T (2000) -
Hanatsu is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-23-2018   #995
Upgrade Your Membership!

Rep Power: 32 oliverlim will become famous soon enougholiverlim will become famous soon enougholiverlim will become famous soon enougholiverlim will become famous soon enougholiverlim will become famous soon enougholiverlim will become famous soon enough

Quote:
I have a unit but have been using it as a desktop 2.2 system. It was meant to replace my apl1 and audison bit one HD. But I ran into space issue due to the size of the unit.

I also just completed the install of my sub in my trunk. Hopefully i can look into integrating the unit into my car soon.

In my desktop, just using it for the crossovers without measurement. It has sounded great. Probably the crossovers. Just sounds clean compared to LR24 crossovers. Just got my replacement mic so hopefully can run it with some measurements to see how it does in my desktop.
oliverlim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-11-2018   #996
Upgrade Your Membership!

12V Company:
Acoustic Power Lab APL
Position:
chairman

Dear Friends,
I must announce that the update of Windows 10 called "2018 April" is not supporting drivers of APL. It is just one Windows version that is known as not supporting.
May be it is because of fact that mentioned update is too much fresh and issue will be fixed.
BR,
Raimonds

The Following User Says Thank You to Raimonds For This Useful Post:
captainobvious (06-12-2018)
Old 06-11-2018   #997
Upgrade Your Membership!

Rep Power: 32 oliverlim will become famous soon enougholiverlim will become famous soon enougholiverlim will become famous soon enougholiverlim will become famous soon enougholiverlim will become famous soon enougholiverlim will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raimonds View Post
Dear Friends,
I must announce that the update of Windows 10 called "2018 April" is not supporting drivers of APL. It is just one Windows version that is known as not supporting.
May be it is because of fact that mentioned update is too much fresh and issue will be fixed.
BR,
Raimonds
Hi Raimonds,

I am happy to report that the latest one June 2018 feature upgrade supports APL drivers again.
oliverlim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to oliverlim For This Useful Post:
captainobvious (06-12-2018)
Old 06-11-2018   #998

Great news, thanks.
Old 6 Days Ago   #999
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 93 StabMe will become famous soon enoughStabMe will become famous soon enoughStabMe will become famous soon enoughStabMe will become famous soon enoughStabMe will become famous soon enoughStabMe will become famous soon enough

Since this is the main thread with a huge collection of APL related knowledge, i decided to post my question here.

If one wants to get the best sounding two-seat tune possible, that is, a tune allowing both listeners to enjoy relatively nice FR and image, how would one perform the measurements? Once at drivers seat and then at passenger's?

How one should setup the time alignment? Set in between the headrests of two seats?
StabMe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 6 Days Ago   #1000

Rep Power: 70 Alextaastrup will become famous soon enoughAlextaastrup will become famous soon enoughAlextaastrup will become famous soon enoughAlextaastrup will become famous soon enoughAlextaastrup will become famous soon enoughAlextaastrup will become famous soon enoughAlextaastrup will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by StabMe View Post
Since this is the main thread with a huge collection of APL related knowledge, i decided to post my question here.

If one wants to get the best sounding two-seat tune possible, that is, a tune allowing both listeners to enjoy relatively nice FR and image, how would one perform the measurements? Once at drivers seat and then at passenger's?

How one should setup the time alignment? Set in between the headrests of two seats?
Using the apl-technology you must use the whole volume of the cabin except 10-15cm from all the surfaces painting some curves with a mic., despite you are measuring for left or right channel.
Time alignment is necessary to obtain a perfect sound imaging.
For two persons it is not achievable. It will always be a compromise.
Try to use the same time delays for a driver and passanger seat.

Alpine CDA137BTi, Alpine CHA-S604, Hidizs AP100, Meridian Explorer DAC, Eton PA 4506,3way SO Audio front, APL1 sound processor, Peerless XLS 10'', JL Audio 500/1 monoblock
Alextaastrup is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement