Vifa TC9 - 3" Midrange/Widebander REVIEW/Measurements - Page 2 - Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-03-2015   #26
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 207 Babs is a jewel in the roughBabs is a jewel in the roughBabs is a jewel in the roughBabs is a jewel in the roughBabs is a jewel in the roughBabs is a jewel in the roughBabs is a jewel in the roughBabs is a jewel in the roughBabs is a jewel in the roughBabs is a jewel in the roughBabs is a jewel in the rough

Default Re: Vifa TC9 - 3" Midrange/Widebander REVIEW/Measurements

Yeah $24 a pair.. Folks would have that "too good to be true" idea about it. Nothing fancy to see here, but if the TC9 brings it, it's a diamond in the rough secret value bomb. I might have to get a couple just for giggles.

Might give me purpose to finally get the little OX vifa tweets going that have been in the drawer for too long. Would they be a nice match for these TC9's?

Makes me want to do a cute waveguide sail tweeter + the TC9 mid crammed in oem tweet spot behind the door card of the Tacoma, if the Vifa could be shoehorned in there, which I doubt.

2008 Civic Si Sedan - Fiio X5ii SPDIF, Phone USB HEC, Helix DSP Pro-2, Helix Director, JL XD1000/5v2 (2), Audiofrog GB10/GB25/GB60, Acoustic Elegance SBP12 (2)
Build Log
Babs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-19-2015   #27
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 191 Mless5 will become famous soon enoughMless5 will become famous soon enoughMless5 will become famous soon enoughMless5 will become famous soon enoughMless5 will become famous soon enoughMless5 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babs View Post
You could do better with a little more money.
Mless5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-19-2015   #28
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 207 Babs is a jewel in the roughBabs is a jewel in the roughBabs is a jewel in the roughBabs is a jewel in the roughBabs is a jewel in the roughBabs is a jewel in the roughBabs is a jewel in the roughBabs is a jewel in the roughBabs is a jewel in the roughBabs is a jewel in the roughBabs is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mless5 View Post
You could do better with a little more money.
Oh agreed.. When I got them, I had zero fabrication skills and figured it was tiny enough for the (brace yourself) stock locations in my Civic. So naturally, they're stuck in a drawer with no use. Might be a fun one to try with a waveguide possibly. Maybe a good first project for router skill development with a round-over bit for rear-mounted rings for sails maybe. But they'd most definitely need to be in a robust 3-way I imagine crossed fairly highish, if I had to guess, to fill in the top-end with a closely placed good 2-3" such as possibly this TC-9.

2008 Civic Si Sedan - Fiio X5ii SPDIF, Phone USB HEC, Helix DSP Pro-2, Helix Director, JL XD1000/5v2 (2), Audiofrog GB10/GB25/GB60, Acoustic Elegance SBP12 (2)
Build Log

Old 02-19-2015   #29
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 188 Bayboy has much to be proud ofBayboy has much to be proud ofBayboy has much to be proud ofBayboy has much to be proud ofBayboy has much to be proud ofBayboy has much to be proud ofBayboy has much to be proud ofBayboy has much to be proud ofBayboy has much to be proud ofBayboy has much to be proud ofBayboy has much to be proud of

Personally I'd go with one of the Small Dayton neo tweets. A mid that small doesn't need even a medium size tweet to accompany it.

Bayboy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-19-2015   #30
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Agreed. Got them too. The little OX is quite a bit smaller.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Build Log
Old 02-19-2015   #31
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 188 Bayboy has much to be proud ofBayboy has much to be proud ofBayboy has much to be proud ofBayboy has much to be proud ofBayboy has much to be proud ofBayboy has much to be proud ofBayboy has much to be proud ofBayboy has much to be proud ofBayboy has much to be proud ofBayboy has much to be proud ofBayboy has much to be proud of

I was thinking of the ND20FA-6 in particular. Have used them for an extended period over the years. Very overlooked tweeter when needing to mate up to a small mid. Very impressed with them.

Old 03-26-2015   #32
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 116 tulse will become famous soon enoughtulse will become famous soon enoughtulse will become famous soon enoughtulse will become famous soon enoughtulse will become famous soon enoughtulse will become famous soon enough

How are you guys mounting those flangeless Dayton Neos in a car or pod?
tulse is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-31-2015   #33
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

They're press fit so you have to make the hole pretty tight. I didn't like it like that so next time I may use some small black countersunk screws and drill some holes into the flange. The screws will have to be quite small.

Old 03-31-2015   #34
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Some DIY waveguide builds with some of these flange less tweets would be good reading fodder.

Build Log
Old 03-31-2015   #35
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 183 brett will become famous soon enoughbrett will become famous soon enoughbrett will become famous soon enoughbrett will become famous soon enoughbrett will become famous soon enoughbrett will become famous soon enough

Send a message via AIM to brett

the thought has crossed my mind, just not quite there yet. thinking mini guides in sail panels

changes coming....
brett is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-04-2015   #36
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 122 Wesayso will become famous soon enoughWesayso will become famous soon enoughWesayso will become famous soon enoughWesayso will become famous soon enoughWesayso will become famous soon enoughWesayso will become famous soon enough

Trough the kindness of a DIYAudio.com forum member I got a pair of the TC9's cousins, the Scan Speak 10F 8424G00...
It is scary how much they have in common, yet there are plenty of differences.
Cone material is different and the 10F has a real powerful motor and a real neat frame.
The 10F is the better one in almost every measurement I've seen but it is striking to see how the TC9 keeps up for way less money.
You can see them behave very similar in most tests including waterfall plots. As far as little 3.5" near full range drivers go the 10F sure is a winner.

I wish I could afford getting 48 more to fill my line arrays .

The TG9 8 ohm has a different frame compared to the TC9. I've always wondered about that. The 10F is more similar (apart from the material) to the TC9. The only odd thing on the 10F is the closed spider back. The TC divers are open there.

1982 Porsche 911 SC, Pioneer P88-RSII active 2-way front + sub, Genesis Series III 4 Channel, 1&2 to Hertz ML 1600 woofers, 3&4 bridged to a JBL GTO 804 sub in the front trunk, Vifa XT25 sc-90 04 tweeters powered by a Genesis Series III Stereo 60.
Wesayso is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-04-2015   #37
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 323 Hanatsu has a reputation beyond reputeHanatsu has a reputation beyond reputeHanatsu has a reputation beyond reputeHanatsu has a reputation beyond reputeHanatsu has a reputation beyond reputeHanatsu has a reputation beyond reputeHanatsu has a reputation beyond reputeHanatsu has a reputation beyond reputeHanatsu has a reputation beyond reputeHanatsu has a reputation beyond reputeHanatsu has a reputation beyond repute

I can get a pair of 10f and measure

Skickat från min SM-G900F via Tapatalk

# In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act # (George Orwell)

- Active Build Thread - VW Passat 1.8T (2000) -
Hanatsu is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-04-2015   #38
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 122 Wesayso will become famous soon enoughWesayso will become famous soon enoughWesayso will become famous soon enoughWesayso will become famous soon enoughWesayso will become famous soon enoughWesayso will become famous soon enough

Be prepared to keep them, that's all I'm going to say .

1982 Porsche 911 SC, Pioneer P88-RSII active 2-way front + sub, Genesis Series III 4 Channel, 1&2 to Hertz ML 1600 woofers, 3&4 bridged to a JBL GTO 804 sub in the front trunk, Vifa XT25 sc-90 04 tweeters powered by a Genesis Series III Stereo 60.
Wesayso is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-04-2015   #39
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 323 Hanatsu has a reputation beyond reputeHanatsu has a reputation beyond reputeHanatsu has a reputation beyond reputeHanatsu has a reputation beyond reputeHanatsu has a reputation beyond reputeHanatsu has a reputation beyond reputeHanatsu has a reputation beyond reputeHanatsu has a reputation beyond reputeHanatsu has a reputation beyond reputeHanatsu has a reputation beyond reputeHanatsu has a reputation beyond repute

Heh. I know the 10f are great drivers. Never properly measured them though. I have a few other drivers stacking up from Alpine, Audio system and Eton that I will measure when I have time over

Skickat från min SM-G900F via Tapatalk

# In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act # (George Orwell)

- Active Build Thread - VW Passat 1.8T (2000) -
Hanatsu is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-04-2015   #40
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 183 brett will become famous soon enoughbrett will become famous soon enoughbrett will become famous soon enoughbrett will become famous soon enoughbrett will become famous soon enoughbrett will become famous soon enough

Send a message via AIM to brett

I've been hoping to snag a pair of 10f's for comparison, but a little out the budget, so I'm keeping my eyes peeled on the classifieds. Unless, one of you has a pair they'd like to part with???

Btw, I think I've officially ruled out the TC9 at this point but still not sure. To get the same sensitivity as others Im trying out, I'd have to run two in parallel and they still don't quite get close. I will say, I could probably listen to these without a tweeter in most cases and found these to be very un-offending.

changes coming....
brett is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-01-2016   #41

Rep Power: 79 atownmack will become famous soon enoughatownmack will become famous soon enoughatownmack will become famous soon enoughatownmack will become famous soon enoughatownmack will become famous soon enoughatownmack will become famous soon enough

I'm on the hunt for a 3" midrange right now. Is the tc9 good for the price, or good period? Has anyone heard the faitalpro 3fe22? I see this driver come up all the time as well.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk
atownmack is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-04-2016   #42
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

The TC9 is good period even if it costed twice the price. Only downfall some see is 8 ohm impedance, but that rarely causes an hindrance. Don't fall prey to turning a good driver down due to low cost. That puts you in the rat race. Buy a driver for it's attributes, not it's cost. The TC9 just so happens to suit both well.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement