Vifa TC9 - 3" Midrange/Widebander REVIEW/Measurements - Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-19-2014   #1
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 326 Hanatsu has a reputation beyond reputeHanatsu has a reputation beyond reputeHanatsu has a reputation beyond reputeHanatsu has a reputation beyond reputeHanatsu has a reputation beyond reputeHanatsu has a reputation beyond reputeHanatsu has a reputation beyond reputeHanatsu has a reputation beyond reputeHanatsu has a reputation beyond reputeHanatsu has a reputation beyond reputeHanatsu has a reputation beyond repute

Default Vifa TC9 - 3" Midrange/Widebander REVIEW/Measurements

Here's the data:

Linear Distortion

Nearfield FR:

Far-field FR 0-60deg:

CSD:

Impedance Plot (2 drivers):

Non-linear distortion (90dB/1m equivalent):

THD/%HD:

FR & HD

IMD:

All plots available here: Vifa TC9 Slideshow by Hanatsu2 | Photobucket

------------------

Ok. Here's a great driver. Considering the price its performance is no less but amazing! Linear behavior is great, a minor breakup node at/around 9kHz. Very smooth otherwise. Almost a 6 octave wide flat response. Plenty of HF for those who wanna use it as a widebander. Non-linear distortion is also good, considering its motor/cone design. THD stays around 0,7% above 250Hz and consist mostly of 2nd order HD. Non-existent tall order products. IMD is good to average depending on how you use it. It clearly doesn't like the 250-300Hz + 7000-9000Hz dual tones. 2nd order IMD is moderately high around the higher stimulus tone (f2).

Summary: Best used as a midrange between 300-4000Hz, if you can deal with the dropping power response above 4000Hz it's clean all the way up to ~8kHz. Used as a widebander I'd highpass it around 400Hz to avoid some of the IMD higher up in frequency. If you really want to push it you could highpass it around 250Hz with a steep slope. Very cheap driver and it performs just as good as much much more expensive drivers. Strongly recommended.

# In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act # (George Orwell)

- Active Build Thread - VW Passat 1.8T (2000) -
Hanatsu is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-19-2014   #2
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 326 Hanatsu has a reputation beyond reputeHanatsu has a reputation beyond reputeHanatsu has a reputation beyond reputeHanatsu has a reputation beyond reputeHanatsu has a reputation beyond reputeHanatsu has a reputation beyond reputeHanatsu has a reputation beyond reputeHanatsu has a reputation beyond reputeHanatsu has a reputation beyond reputeHanatsu has a reputation beyond reputeHanatsu has a reputation beyond repute

Default Re: Vifa TC9 - 3" Midrange/Widebander REVIEW/Measurements

Compared to the ETON 3-400 driver.

# In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act # (George Orwell)

Old 12-19-2014   #3
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 125 Wesayso will become famous soon enoughWesayso will become famous soon enoughWesayso will become famous soon enoughWesayso will become famous soon enoughWesayso will become famous soon enoughWesayso will become famous soon enough

Strangely enough, not many give this driver a second look because of it's price...
Very smooth driver... not very efficient though...

But I had to like them to do this;

And this way it IS efficient .

1982 Porsche 911 SC, Pioneer P88-RSII active 2-way front + sub, Genesis Series III 4 Channel, 1&2 to Hertz ML 1600 woofers, 3&4 bridged to a JBL GTO 804 sub in the front trunk, Vifa XT25 sc-90 04 tweeters powered by a Genesis Series III Stereo 60.

Last edited by Wesayso; 12-21-2014 at 03:18 AM..
Wesayso is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2014   #4
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 192 Bayboy has much to be proud ofBayboy has much to be proud ofBayboy has much to be proud ofBayboy has much to be proud ofBayboy has much to be proud ofBayboy has much to be proud ofBayboy has much to be proud ofBayboy has much to be proud ofBayboy has much to be proud ofBayboy has much to be proud ofBayboy has much to be proud of

Snobbery I suppose, but it is a damn good driver. Perhaps it is it's low cost or the fact that it is only 8 ohm which doesn't add to efficiency. Idk... however, there is a 4 ohm variant. For some reason no one carries it.

Bayboy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-19-2014   #5
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 194 Mless5 will become famous soon enoughMless5 will become famous soon enoughMless5 will become famous soon enoughMless5 will become famous soon enoughMless5 will become famous soon enoughMless5 will become famous soon enough

I had these before as part of a 3 way, ~300 - 4000K w/12db slopes both ends in kick panels. I liked these for their smoothness as I am into smooth/pleasing/non fatigueing(sp?) sound, but I did find that I couldn't mate it with a metal dome tweeter due to lacking upper end that I wanted from these. They were almost too smooth, but again, it could have been my location. These are much more forgiving than glass version of these - TG9s. Overall, I liked these, but I am not playing with Dayton 3.5" extended range that seems to fill in missing gaps for me.
Mless5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-19-2014   #6
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 192 Bayboy has much to be proud ofBayboy has much to be proud ofBayboy has much to be proud ofBayboy has much to be proud ofBayboy has much to be proud ofBayboy has much to be proud ofBayboy has much to be proud ofBayboy has much to be proud ofBayboy has much to be proud ofBayboy has much to be proud ofBayboy has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mless5 View Post
I had these before as part of a 3 way, ~300 - 4000K w/12db slopes both ends in kick panels.

How much did you have to feed them to get good output from down there.... rated in 8 ohm of course? I've been contemplating kicks with them mated up with a small neo textile Dayton tweet on the pillars. Either that or back in the dash.

Old 12-19-2014   #7
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 194 Mless5 will become famous soon enoughMless5 will become famous soon enoughMless5 will become famous soon enoughMless5 will become famous soon enoughMless5 will become famous soon enoughMless5 will become famous soon enough

I've had 55wrms on hand on hand for those.
Mless5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-20-2014   #8
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 114 sierrarider will become famous soon enoughsierrarider will become famous soon enoughsierrarider will become famous soon enoughsierrarider will become famous soon enoughsierrarider will become famous soon enoughsierrarider will become famous soon enough

Nice review. Looks like a great driver for the money
sierrarider is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-20-2014   #9
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Yes. The results are on par with the Scan-Speak 12m I tested last year. I've done some listening, they should meet most audiophiles requirements. Excellent midrange!

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S5 using Tapatalk

Old 12-20-2014   #10
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Is there any way to get a hold of the 4 ohm version?

Old 12-20-2014   #11
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayboy View Post
Is there any way to get a hold of the 4 ohm version?
The 8ohm version is called: TC9FD18-08

and the 4ohm version is called: TC9FD00-04

Not the same driver. The TC9FD18-04, seem to be discontinued or incorrectly named at some sites. Tymphany themselves don't list it. Just buy two drivers and parallel connect them ;P

Old 12-20-2014   #12
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Must have been discontinued for I do recall having looked at the pdf for it. All construction appeared the same... frame, cone, etc... not sure why though. Anywho, already have the 8 ohm but seriously against doubling mids.

Old 12-20-2014   #13
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Quote:
Must have been discontinued for I do recall having looked at the pdf for it. All construction appeared the same... frame, cone, etc... not sure why though. Anywho, already have the 8 ohm but seriously against doubling mids.
http://catalogs.infocommiq.com/avcat..._Datasheet.pdf

Actually found it, the spec sheet that is...

The TG9 version got a 4ohm option. Should be somewhat similar, same driver with different cone.

Vifa TG9FD-10-04 3-1/2" Glass Fiber Cone Full Range

---------

That guy who measured both drivers seems to prefer the TC9 though: http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/multi...ed-them-2.html

Old 12-20-2014   #14
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Yeah, I've read the comparisons... I really like the sound of the paper. Then again, I've played with enough in my days. It's getting time to settle down with one set and relax from experimenting for a while. If I could get my hands on a set of JBL P6563c I probably would.

Old 12-20-2014   #15
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Quote:
Yeah, I've read the comparisons... I really like the sound of the paper. Then again, I've played with enough in my days. It's getting time to settle down with one set and relax from experimenting for a while. If I could get my hands on a set of JBL P6563c I probably would.
Hm... never heard.

The best midrange drivers I've heard were some huge ATC domes.

Old 12-20-2014   #16
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

The JBL P6563c is merely a 3-way version of the P660c component set. For some reason they were never offered in the US.

ATC is too rich for my blood and especially for the work.vehicle. I'll settle down with something, probably soon after.the holidays are over. In the meanwhile I still have the TC9 stored up for a worthy midbass mate.

Old 12-20-2014   #17
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 186 brett will become famous soon enoughbrett will become famous soon enoughbrett will become famous soon enoughbrett will become famous soon enoughbrett will become famous soon enoughbrett will become famous soon enough

Send a message via AIM to brett

thanks for the review!

bench testing those drivers now. looking to double up two 8 ohm versions in my pillars. so far i really like what my ears are hearing. next i'll compare them to the more efficient faitals.

changes coming....
brett is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-24-2015   #18
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 87 Rusty will become famous soon enoughRusty will become famous soon enoughRusty will become famous soon enoughRusty will become famous soon enoughRusty will become famous soon enoughRusty will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesayso View Post
Strangely enough, not many give this driver a second look because of it's price...

what is the impedance does the amplifier see on those?
Rusty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-24-2015   #19
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 125 Wesayso will become famous soon enoughWesayso will become famous soon enoughWesayso will become famous soon enoughWesayso will become famous soon enoughWesayso will become famous soon enoughWesayso will become famous soon enough

About the same as a single driver... 5 in series x 5 parallel

Measurement of the speaker above, 25 drivers but looks like one.

1982 Porsche 911 SC, Pioneer P88-RSII active 2-way front + sub, Genesis Series III 4 Channel, 1&2 to Hertz ML 1600 woofers, 3&4 bridged to a JBL GTO 804 sub in the front trunk, Vifa XT25 sc-90 04 tweeters powered by a Genesis Series III Stereo 60.
Old 02-02-2015   #20
Upgrade Your Membership!

<(O0=[][]=0O)>

Rep Power: 80 tjswarbrick will become famous soon enoughtjswarbrick will become famous soon enoughtjswarbrick will become famous soon enoughtjswarbrick will become famous soon enoughtjswarbrick will become famous soon enoughtjswarbrick will become famous soon enough

Just found the 4-Ohm TC9FD00-4 "new item" at PE! A couple bucks more, but still look like quite a bargain. Is it really the same driver, but 4 Ohm?

Graphs are impressive. 4Ohm gives 90dB sensitivity, but only 1.6mm Xmax. Doesn't go as low as I'd like to mate with underseat midbass.
Think this'll work okay in a 3-series door, with a tweeter in the sail to take over the highs?

E88 CiC mObridge DA3 ARC XDi v2 1200.6 & 600.4 Morel MT-350 a/d/s 344is Gladen HG 201 Illusion c10
tjswarbrick is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-02-2015   #21
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjswarbrick View Post
Just found the 4-Ohm TC9FD00-4 "new item" at PE! A couple bucks more, but still look like quite a bargain. Is it really the same driver, but 4 Ohm?

Graphs are impressive. 4Ohm gives 90dB sensitivity, but only 1.6mm Xmax. Doesn't go as low as I'd like to mate with underseat midbass.
Think this'll work okay in a 3-series door, with a tweeter in the sail to take over the highs?

Not the same driver. If you look back a few posts, you will see where Hanatsu & I discussed that a bit. The other 4 ohm TC9 with a polymer frame was never released into the market I believe. Probably made for some speaker manufacturer. Would have been nice though. If you pay attention you will see that the TC9 4 ohm currently at P.E. has less throw vs the polymer frame 8 ohm version.

Old 02-02-2015   #22
Upgrade Your Membership!

<(O0=[][]=0O)>

Rep Power: 80 tjswarbrick will become famous soon enoughtjswarbrick will become famous soon enoughtjswarbrick will become famous soon enoughtjswarbrick will become famous soon enoughtjswarbrick will become famous soon enoughtjswarbrick will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Not the same driver. If you look back a few posts, you will see where Hanatsu & I discussed that a bit. The other 4 ohm TC9 with a polymer frame was never released into the market I believe. Probably made for some speaker manufacturer. Would have been nice though. If you pay attention you will see that the TC9 4 ohm currently at P.E. has less throw vs the polymer frame 8 ohm version.
Ah. Thank you.
I read, but seem to have misunderstood his post on the 4Ohm one.
Thanks for clarifying.

E88 CiC mObridge DA3 ARC XDi v2 1200.6 & 600.4 Morel MT-350 a/d/s 344is Gladen HG 201 Illusion c10
tjswarbrick is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-02-2015   #23
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

No biggie.... gotta remember companies like Tymphany still build for other companies so not everything will be available to the public in raw form. Many other manufacturers/builders have gone that same route over the years unfortunately.

Old 02-03-2015   #24
DIYMA 500 Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesayso View Post

A distortion plot of 50 of the polymer basket TC9 running in stereo:

I'm convinced it does even better, these measurements were taken with a lot of ambient noise from a busy street.

There is another strange version out there:
Tymphany TYPY03W06O0111 3-1/2" Full Range Driver
Though that seems more like an extended midrange driver...
Pretty though...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg kevlar cone.jpg (63.4 KB, 738 views)

Last edited by Wesayso; 02-03-2015 at 04:24 AM..
Old 02-03-2015   #25
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Hmmmm.... woven kevlar. Looks quite attractive. High Q with a high ebp. Odd driver more reminiscent of car audio.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement