At last! The Biketronics BT4180 amp review you've all been waiting for! - Page 12 - Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-11-2018   #276
Upgrade Your Membership!

Rep Power: 39 Bnlcmbcar will become famous soon enoughBnlcmbcar will become famous soon enoughBnlcmbcar will become famous soon enoughBnlcmbcar will become famous soon enoughBnlcmbcar will become famous soon enoughBnlcmbcar will become famous soon enough

Default Re: At last! The Biketronics BT4180 amp review you've all been waiting for!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbfoto View Post
NICE!

I think I need one or two of these in my life! What was the turnaround time for this?
About 2 weeks. But most of that was my doing. Instead of the yellow color that is standard by the connector plate, I requested a plain black plate. Slight delay in when he was sending out new plates out to be anodized to fulfill this request.

For couple days, I was out of town and not unable to provide the exact RCA measurements I wanted fulfilled which caused a delay. The RCAís are physically in the same place but the area around them has been milled out to a larger opening.

*The standard stock RCA opening can accept most RCAís out there. I was just being uber picky and wanted to utilize some Audio Esoteric E7 home audio RCAís with bulky cosmetic RCA heads. All other RCAís I tried fit fine (Stinger, Streetwires, blue jeans cable).

I also have a BT4180. The actual rca connectors are a tad bit closer to each other in the BT4180 model. Even if the area around them is milled out, there is just barely not enough clearance side-to-side after I line up the center post on adjacent positions for my bulky RCA heads. I attached pics of my unmodified BT4180.

I wasnít about to burden Mike with redesigning his circuit/product on the account of my RCA desires. This will be easily remedied by a female to male rca adapter, or just simply use another RCA cable.

Then for the graphic I put together, Mike reached out to Hypex for permission to use the wave graphic which was another slight delay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Architect7 View Post
That is awesome! And funny since it will do more like 1200-1600wrms at 2ohms, very underrated. Canít wait to hear how you like it.
No doubts about it. The linear power and clarity my BT4180 provided was already unreal to grasp. My build is a slow progress project and still have some work to do in my sedan trunk for a stealth false floor setup but I hope to have this amp singing before Thanksgiving.
Bnlcmbcar is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to Bnlcmbcar For This Useful Post:
bbfoto (10-11-2018)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-11-2018   #277
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 364 bbfoto has a reputation beyond reputebbfoto has a reputation beyond reputebbfoto has a reputation beyond reputebbfoto has a reputation beyond reputebbfoto has a reputation beyond reputebbfoto has a reputation beyond reputebbfoto has a reputation beyond reputebbfoto has a reputation beyond reputebbfoto has a reputation beyond reputebbfoto has a reputation beyond reputebbfoto has a reputation beyond repute

Default Re: At last! The Biketronics BT4180 amp review you've all been waiting for!

Thanks for the detailed info and pics!

And yeah, I love those EA E7 RCA's as well.

For the system I'm currently working on, I would probably need one of the BT4250 and one or two of the BT4180 as well.

I guess these are made to be placed inside a fairing or in enclosed saddlebags on a HD, but do you think they'd have any problems heatwise buried under a rear quarter trim panel or in the sealed front boot of a Porsche 911?

Would love to have these included in the next high-end "SQ Amplifier Shootout".
bbfoto is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-11-2018   #278
Upgrade Your Membership!

Rep Power: 39 Bnlcmbcar will become famous soon enoughBnlcmbcar will become famous soon enoughBnlcmbcar will become famous soon enoughBnlcmbcar will become famous soon enoughBnlcmbcar will become famous soon enoughBnlcmbcar will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Thanks for the detailed info and pics!

And yeah, I love those EA E7 RCA's as well.

For the system I'm currently working on, I would probably need one of the BT4250 and one or two of the BT4180 as well.

I guess these are made to be placed inside a fairing or in enclosed saddlebags on a HD, but do you think they'd have any problems heatwise buried under the rear quarter trim panel or in the sealed front boot of a 911 Porsche?

Would love to have these included in the next high-end "SQ Amplifier Shootout".
These things are of solid build quality. Once you hold it in your hand and feel its mini heft youíll understand. As you mentioned these amps are were physically designed to fit in bike fairings or saddle bags where they would experience long periods of exposure to heat/sun. I think they should do fine given their 90% efficiency. Plus they have active cooling via 2 internal fans.

I too would like to see these in an amplifier shootout. Anybody in touch with Matt Hall?

These arenít using GaN Fet tech like the SounDigital amps but these amps are near the pinnacle of Class D topology in regards to PWM and feedback filter design. Up there with the MMATS HIFi series that are based off the Infineon IRAUDAMP4 Class D design.

Very few amplifiers disclose the details about their Class D circuits. Biketronics uses Hypex UcD and I like that Hypex is more transparent about their empirical approach towards providing audiophile grade sound via the class D topology. *haha might need an electrical engineering degree/education to decipher it all but itís out there at least.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bnlcmbcar For This Useful Post:
Architect7 (10-11-2018), bbfoto (10-11-2018)

Old 10-11-2018   #279
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 364 bbfoto has a reputation beyond reputebbfoto has a reputation beyond reputebbfoto has a reputation beyond reputebbfoto has a reputation beyond reputebbfoto has a reputation beyond reputebbfoto has a reputation beyond reputebbfoto has a reputation beyond reputebbfoto has a reputation beyond reputebbfoto has a reputation beyond reputebbfoto has a reputation beyond reputebbfoto has a reputation beyond repute

Again, THANKS for the info and quick response.

Yeah, I'm curious to see the performance when more GaN Fet based amps come out.

From what I know about the Hypex UcD modules, I've heard that quite a few big manufacturers of both high-end and mid-level active/powered studio monitors are using them.

And I just realized that Mike has created and is working on a BT6180, so that along with one of the new BT4250 amps would be perfect for my setup.

I believe that you can reach Matt Hall via the web site or respective Facebook page Link at...

Revelation Audio
bbfoto is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-11-2018   #280
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 122 Bizarroterl will become famous soon enoughBizarroterl will become famous soon enoughBizarroterl will become famous soon enoughBizarroterl will become famous soon enoughBizarroterl will become famous soon enoughBizarroterl will become famous soon enough

IDK about a 911, but I'm in the process of putting 2 BT4180s and one BT2250 in a C7 corvette along with a MS-8. It is tight but it'll all fit. The Biketronics amps are very compact.
Bizarroterl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to Bizarroterl For This Useful Post:
bbfoto (10-12-2018)
Old 10-11-2018   #281
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 138 Architect7 will become famous soon enoughArchitect7 will become famous soon enoughArchitect7 will become famous soon enoughArchitect7 will become famous soon enoughArchitect7 will become famous soon enoughArchitect7 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bizarroterl View Post
IDK about a 911, but I'm in the process of putting 2 BT4180s and one BT2250 in a C7 corvette along with a MS-8. It is tight but it'll all fit. The Biketronics amps are very compact.
I would LOVE to see details/pics of this build!

Architect7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-11-2018   #282
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 122 Bizarroterl will become famous soon enoughBizarroterl will become famous soon enoughBizarroterl will become famous soon enoughBizarroterl will become famous soon enoughBizarroterl will become famous soon enoughBizarroterl will become famous soon enough

I'll try to put something together. I plan on doing some of the work this weekend.
Bizarroterl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-12-2018   #283
Upgrade Your Membership!

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 353 rton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond repute

Regarding a new SQ amp shootout, I doubt that Matt Hall will be doing any more. I thought I saw him post somewhere that while he may do some additional equipment shootouts, that because of his association with Revelation he wouldn't be publishing any more amp shootouts. I could be wrong, and it certainly doesn't hurt to ask him.

Pioneer DEH-80PRS | Helix DSP.2 | Zapco Z-150.6 AP + Z-400.2 AP (x2) | Illusion TL 25 BN | Illusion C5 | Raven 10XL (x2)
2015 MECA SQL Street | 2017 & 2018 MECA Modex California State Champion
Sonic Electronix Discount Code: hutsell
rton20s is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to rton20s For This Useful Post:
bbfoto (10-12-2018)
Old 10-12-2018   #284
Upgrade Your Membership!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rton20s View Post
Regarding a new SQ amp shootout, I doubt that Matt Hall will be doing any more. I thought I saw him post somewhere that while he may do some additional equipment shootouts, that because of his association with Revelation he wouldn't be publishing any more amp shootouts. I could be wrong, and it certainly doesn't hurt to ask him.
Nooooooooooooooooooo!

Womps thatís a bummer
Old 10-12-2018   #285
Upgrade Your Membership!

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 353 rton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bnlcmbcar View Post
Nooooooooooooooooooo!

Womps thatís a bummer
Not a problem.

If anyone wants to send me their ultra-rare, esoteric amplifiers, I will gladly hook them up to a cheap computer power supply, feed them low-quality music streams over a Radio Shack 3.5mm to RCA adapter and drive a couple PE Buyout mids sitting loose on a counter top. A full tiered ranking report scribbled on the back of of a political campaign flyer will be photographed with a potato and uploaded for all to review.

If anyone is interested, just shoot me a PM.

Pioneer DEH-80PRS | Helix DSP.2 | Zapco Z-150.6 AP + Z-400.2 AP (x2) | Illusion TL 25 BN | Illusion C5 | Raven 10XL (x2)
2015 MECA SQL Street | 2017 & 2018 MECA Modex California State Champion
Sonic Electronix Discount Code: hutsell
rton20s is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to rton20s For This Useful Post:
bbfoto (10-12-2018)
Old 11-07-2018   #286
Upgrade Your Membership!

Ordered a couple more!

Hereís a pic of the 4x180 guts vs the 4x250 guts
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bnlcmbcar For This Useful Post:
Architect7 (11-09-2018), bbfoto (11-18-2018), rton20s (11-08-2018)
Old 11-08-2018   #287

Rep Power: 49 tjframe will become famous soon enoughtjframe will become famous soon enoughtjframe will become famous soon enoughtjframe will become famous soon enoughtjframe will become famous soon enoughtjframe will become famous soon enough

For what it's worth, for the last 3 years I have had two of the BT4180s running my front sound stage, and have had no issues whatsoever.

They sound great, and the tiny size was perfect for my stealth install.

One of the units I purchased used from a forum member, and one was new from the company.

Highly recommended!
tjframe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to tjframe For This Useful Post:
Architect7 (11-09-2018)
Old 11-17-2018   #288
Upgrade Your Membership!

Attachment 233851
Quote:
I guess these are made to be placed inside a fairing or in enclosed saddlebags on a HD, but do you think they'd have any problems heatwise buried under a rear quarter trim panel or in the sealed front boot of a Porsche 911?
Confirmed from Mike himself that the amps are very stable thermal wise due to the extremely high efficiency of the Hypex modules, itís overbuilt power supply, and the two internal cooling fans.

They are stable to be stacked in the following configurations (pics attached).

SDS Velcro would be plenty strong to hold them together and even provide a tiny spacing.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg F01DD82A-E99B-402D-AE05-87F319078DFC.jpeg (901.0 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg C3D8C19D-9F15-4931-84A4-CA11AE9F4A9E.jpg (1.13 MB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg A55930F0-DC3E-4038-9A0E-506CFAFD179D.jpg (751.4 KB, 21 views)
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bnlcmbcar For This Useful Post:
Architect7 (11-18-2018), bbfoto (11-18-2018), rton20s (11-19-2018)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement