Review of the Audible Physics NZ3ALBe 3" drivers - Page 2 - Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-21-2015   #26
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 188 bertholomey is a jewel in the roughbertholomey is a jewel in the roughbertholomey is a jewel in the roughbertholomey is a jewel in the roughbertholomey is a jewel in the roughbertholomey is a jewel in the roughbertholomey is a jewel in the roughbertholomey is a jewel in the roughbertholomey is a jewel in the roughbertholomey is a jewel in the roughbertholomey is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velozity View Post
Jason's first post is one of the most all-inclusive and useful reviews I've seen on this site aside from Erin's. Good job sir! Take care of my drivers Lol.

Thanks Mike! I appreciate that, and I am taking good care of them 😉

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbfoto View Post
x2

Thanks Billy 😊

bertholomey is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-21-2015   #27
DIYMA 500 Club

12V Company:
Audible Physics
Position:
Designer

Rep Power: 87 Rishi S will become famous soon enoughRishi S will become famous soon enoughRishi S will become famous soon enoughRishi S will become famous soon enoughRishi S will become famous soon enoughRishi S will become famous soon enough

Default Re: Review of the Audible Physics NZ3ALBe 3" drivers

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErinH View Post
What are the odds we can get a Beryllium tweeter, Rishi?

AlBe Ribbon foil or AlBe Dome?
Rishi S is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-21-2015   #28

Bikinpunk

Thanked 1,017 Times in 479 Posts
Rep Power: 26015 ErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond repute

Send a message via AIM to ErinH

dome.

ribbons are typically too hard to install because they're too dang large. then there's the sweet spot issue unless it's square. and if you make them small you can't cross them low enough to be useful with a larger mid (4" or larger) because the mid is beaming before 5khz, where most of the compact ribbon type speakers need to be crossed to be safe. at least, that's been my (general) experience.

I like Be from the aspect of higher sensitivity. I haven't really seen anything in the Be tweeter department that was better in regards to frequency response. I mean, really, with a good brand you get fairly linear FR and good dispersion. There are exceptions to the rule. But, my point is just that Be tweeters haven't struck me as 'more linear' than non-Be. But they do offer higher sensitivity; it seems most dome tweeters are in the ballpark of 88-89dB @ 2.83v while Be domes are usually 92-93dB. That extra couple dB is nice. Of course, you sure as heck pay for it in size or cost (or both). The Scan Illuminator Be domes, which retail at about $900/pair via Madisound, are huge due to their 1500 inch flange () and the Focal TBe, great for car audio because of it's smallish size, runs over a grand MSRP.

If there were any way to produce a 1" dome Be tweeter in a compact, car friendly size with good dispersion pattern in the $400/pair ballpark that would be the bee's knees. But having NO idea on what materials cost would be, that may be complete wishful thinking. I kind of associated Be costs more with the novelty... maybe it's a mix or maybe they really are justified due to the materials cost. Not my area of expertise by any means.

sorry for the brain dump. hopefully that made sense. lol.

Edit: Just saw you said 'AlBe', meaning a combination of Aluminum/Beryllium, I assume. In that case, I should note I was talking about pure Beryllium tweeters in the above.

Time Delay Calculator:
http://tracerite.com/calc.html

Last edited by ErinH; 02-21-2015 at 09:34 PM..
ErinH is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2015   #29
DIYMA 500 Club

12V Company:
Audible Physics
Position:
Designer

Rep Power: 87 Rishi S will become famous soon enoughRishi S will become famous soon enoughRishi S will become famous soon enoughRishi S will become famous soon enoughRishi S will become famous soon enoughRishi S will become famous soon enough

Quote:
dome.

ribbons are typically too hard to install because they're too dang large. then there's the sweet spot issue unless it's square. and if you make them small you can't cross them low enough to be useful with a larger mid (4" or larger) because the mid is beaming before 5khz, where most of the compact ribbon type speakers need to be crossed to be safe. at least, that's been my (general) experience.

I like Be from the aspect of higher sensitivity. I haven't really seen anything in the Be tweeter department that was better in regards to frequency response. I mean, really, with a good brand you get fairly linear FR and good dispersion. There are exceptions to the rule. But, my point is just that Be tweeters haven't struck me as 'more linear' than non-Be. But they do offer higher sensitivity; it seems most dome tweeters are in the ballpark of 88-89dB @ 2.83v while Be domes are usually 92-93dB. That extra couple dB is nice. Of course, you sure as heck pay for it in size or cost (or both). The Scan Illuminator Be domes, which retail at about $900/pair via Madisound, are huge due to their 1500 inch flange () and the Focal TBe, great for car audio because of it's smallish size, runs over a grand MSRP.

If there were any way to produce a 1" dome Be tweeter in a compact, car friendly size with good dispersion pattern in the $400/pair ballpark that would be the bee's knees. But having NO idea on what materials cost would be, that may be complete wishful thinking. I kind of associated Be costs more with the novelty... maybe it's a mix or maybe they really are justified due to the materials cost. Not my area of expertise by any means.

sorry for the brain dump. hopefully that made sense. lol.

Edit: Just saw you said 'AlBe', meaning a combination of Aluminum/Beryllium, I assume. In that case, I should note I was talking about pure Beryllium tweeters in the above.

what do you think of this?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 63464_10152476188997797_2840922080422579715_n.jpg (66.3 KB, 124 views)

Last edited by Rishi S; 02-21-2015 at 10:02 PM..
Old 02-21-2015   #30

Bikinpunk

Rep Power: 26015 ErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond repute

Is this a trick? Lol.

It looks good. But that's not a dome tweeter judging by the roll off (which is what I thought you were asking about). And if it is, you're about to be mega rich.

Time Delay Calculator:
Old 02-21-2015   #31
DIYMA 500 Club

12V Company:
Audible Physics
Position:
Designer

Quote:
Is this a trick? Lol.

It looks good. But that's not a dome tweeter judging by the roll off (which is what I thought you were asking about). And if it is, you're about to be mega rich.
Edit:

Its a 2.5 inch driver with Be cone I am developing for a client.

Last edited by Rishi S; 02-21-2015 at 10:20 PM..
Old 02-21-2015   #32

Bikinpunk

looks about right, then. I definitely knew that wasn't a 1" dome tweeter.

what's it look like off-axis? The on-axis response looks good for sure. very well behaved cone based on what you provided. but I'm sure you'd agree with the statement that off-axis results are just as important as (if not more than) what it looks like on-axis.

may need to carry this over to another thread so we don't poo-poo on Jason's hard work here.

Time Delay Calculator:
Old 02-21-2015   #33
DIYMA 500 Club

12V Company:
Audible Physics
Position:
Designer

We can do an a pure be tweeter too. That not an issue but maybe in the future
Old 02-21-2015   #34
DIYMA 500 Club

12V Company:
Audible Physics
Position:
Designer

Quote:
looks about right, then. I definitely knew that wasn't a 1" dome tweeter.

what's it look like off-axis? The on-axis response looks good for sure. very well behaved cone based on what you provided. but I'm sure you'd agree with the statement that off-axis results are just as important as (if not more than) what it looks like on-axis.

may need to carry this over to another thread so we don't poo-poo on Jason's hard work here.
Lol i can take measurements off-axis not an issue. Maybe after the product is ready and my client is all set to reveal his brand.
Old 02-21-2015   #35
DIYMA 500 Club

12V Company:
CAR TUNES
Position:
SELLER

Rep Power: 122 boricua69 will become famous soon enoughboricua69 will become famous soon enoughboricua69 will become famous soon enoughboricua69 will become famous soon enoughboricua69 will become famous soon enoughboricua69 will become famous soon enough

Looks good, even so your baffle doesn't have chamfered edges for airflow and that wood looks very thick for the 3"speaker basket.
Attachment 59243

Last edited by boricua69; 06-23-2017 at 10:25 AM..
boricua69 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-22-2015   #36
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 100 Winno will become famous soon enoughWinno will become famous soon enoughWinno will become famous soon enoughWinno will become famous soon enoughWinno will become famous soon enoughWinno will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rishi S View Post
Edit:

Its a 2.5 inch driver with Be cone I am developing for a client.
Hmm, could be good for rear fill in the Honda where mounting depth is almost non-existent.
A 2" would be even better as it doesn't need to play very low.

Honda RB3 Odyssey - Clarion HX-D2 Phoenix Gold Ti 500.4 & 600.2 Alpine PDX1.1000 Audible Physics NZ3AlBe CSS SDX7 Infinity Perfect 10VQ Monster Cable XLN Pro
Winno is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-22-2015   #37
DIYMA 500 Club

12V Company:
Audible Physics
Position:
Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winno View Post
Hmm, could be good for rear fill in the Honda where mounting depth is almost non-existent.

A Be cone for rear fill? Can you settle for an alloy cone lol
Old 02-22-2015   #38
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 100 Winno will become famous soon enoughWinno will become famous soon enoughWinno will become famous soon enoughWinno will become famous soon enoughWinno will become famous soon enoughWinno will become famous soon enough

Quote:
A Be cone for rear fill? Can you settle for an alloy cone lol
Hehehe, it's gotta "match".
Small RAM would probably do.

But we have gone off topic - oops.

Honda RB3 Odyssey - Clarion HX-D2 Phoenix Gold Ti 500.4 & 600.2 Alpine PDX1.1000 Audible Physics NZ3AlBe CSS SDX7 Infinity Perfect 10VQ Monster Cable XLN Pro
Winno is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-22-2015   #39
DIYMA 500 Club

12V Company:
Audible Physics
Position:
Designer

Quote:

But we have gone off topic - oops.

Right.Sorry Jason
Old 02-22-2015   #40
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 188 bertholomey is a jewel in the roughbertholomey is a jewel in the roughbertholomey is a jewel in the roughbertholomey is a jewel in the roughbertholomey is a jewel in the roughbertholomey is a jewel in the roughbertholomey is a jewel in the roughbertholomey is a jewel in the roughbertholomey is a jewel in the roughbertholomey is a jewel in the roughbertholomey is a jewel in the rough

Default Review of the Audible Physics NZ3ALBe 3" drivers

Quote:
Originally Posted by boricua69 View Post
Looks good, even so your baffle doesn't have chamfered edges for airflow and that wood looks very thick for the 3"speaker basket.

Attachment 59243

Is that your AT driver? Those are amazing speakers. That baffle looks fantastic as well.

The desktop speaker boxes I have were constructed by my Father-In-Law and I on a very cold, wintery day in his shed with limited tools. They were constructed for the AP XRs that had challenges with the large magnet, but with a relatively narrow flange, and wire connection points that had to be cut out of the baffle. Creating the baffle for the NZ3's would have been a much simpler process.

The original Zaph design of these boxes incorporated a removable baffle so that drivers can be rolled in and out, but we decided against that for various reasons. Since this magnet structure is angled - I'm getting pretty good airflow I think.

But.....I have had in mind a couple adjustments to these boxes - a friend mentioned the potential for recessing the drivers into the surface of the baffle based on the concerns captured in this article:

Click this link for Zaph's article

Again, I don't have the tools to do that. If I can get together with my installer, we might try to address both of those issues at the same time. Another idea I am considering from a discussion with another friend is a ring that has a round over. That would draw the driver out a little bit, chamfer the baffle while we are at it, and then give a softer transition from the edge of the cone to the edge of the baffle.

I expect that the drivers will sound even better after several more days of playing as everything gets settled in. If I can get some improvements from adjusting the speaker boxes on top of that - I'll enjoy these little drivers even that much more.

Quote:
Right.Sorry Jason

No worries at all Rishi - I find it to be relevant regarding the merits of the materials involved and the enthusiasm concerning the future product development that you are contemplating with Audible Physics.

Old 02-22-2015   #41
Upgrade Your Membership!

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 305 subwoofery has a reputation beyond reputesubwoofery has a reputation beyond reputesubwoofery has a reputation beyond reputesubwoofery has a reputation beyond reputesubwoofery has a reputation beyond reputesubwoofery has a reputation beyond reputesubwoofery has a reputation beyond reputesubwoofery has a reputation beyond reputesubwoofery has a reputation beyond reputesubwoofery has a reputation beyond reputesubwoofery has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Would like to know how feasible it is to make a 2" driver that:
- has a sensitivity of 87dB 1w/1m
- plays down to at least 500Hz
- shallow (mounting depth @ 1" or less)

Or a 2.5" with the same requirements as above but with a mounting depth of less than 1.25"

Most fullrangers I've seen are meant to play low - that's a good thing for a lot of people but if you can tune, you don't always need it to play down to 125Hz
I'd rather have a higher sensitivity and let the bigger driver play the lower midrange.
An FS of 350Hz or lower should be good

Kelvin

Lycan
Quote:
I'll repeat it for the miliionth time : All amps do NOT sound the same ... It's astonishing to me that nobody understands this
Who knows, some might understand now
and here's another one and another <-- click on the links
subwoofery is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-24-2015   #42
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 150 slade1274 will become famous soon enoughslade1274 will become famous soon enoughslade1274 will become famous soon enoughslade1274 will become famous soon enoughslade1274 will become famous soon enoughslade1274 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by bertholomey View Post
The dual neo magnet on the XRs took some real planning when mounting in pillars (and good rings cut on a CNC ). The RAMs had a fairly large ferrite magnet structure,
Indeed- and I still have a handful of them....

Love the looks of the new magnet structure- well worth the investment for installation flexibility if nothing else.

build log 08 BMW 135i
slade1274 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-16-2015   #43
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 156 wdemetrius1 will become famous soon enoughwdemetrius1 will become famous soon enoughwdemetrius1 will become famous soon enoughwdemetrius1 will become famous soon enoughwdemetrius1 will become famous soon enoughwdemetrius1 will become famous soon enough

Great write up Jason.

2012 MECA World Finals Street National Runner Up!!!
2012 MECA Street National Points Champion!!!
2012 MECA Street Georgia State Champion!!!
2011 MECA Street Georgia State Champion!!!
wdemetrius1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-16-2015   #44
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Thank you D! It would be great to see you at the NC meet in April 😉

Old 03-16-2015   #45
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 156 wdemetrius1 will become famous soon enoughwdemetrius1 will become famous soon enoughwdemetrius1 will become famous soon enoughwdemetrius1 will become famous soon enoughwdemetrius1 will become famous soon enoughwdemetrius1 will become famous soon enough

Im going to try and make it.

2012 MECA World Finals Street National Runner Up!!!
2012 MECA Street National Points Champion!!!
2012 MECA Street Georgia State Champion!!!
2011 MECA Street Georgia State Champion!!!
wdemetrius1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-08-2015   #46
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

This information wasn't available to me when I posted this review, but I think it could still be helpful in case someone stumbles across this thread.

T/S parameters for the Audible Physics Nz3AlBe

T/S parameters:
Fs = 110.224Hz
Re = 3.8 ohms
Qts = 0.787
Qes = 1.217
Qms = 2.229
Mms = 2.138 grams
Cms = 975.105u m/N
Vas = 1.107 liters
Sd= 28.274 cm^2
Bl = 2.150 Tm
Sensitivity = 82.7 dB

The Following User Says Thank You to bertholomey For This Useful Post:
Truthunter (10-03-2018)
Old 04-08-2015   #47

Bikinpunk

do you know how those measurements were taken? the reason I ask is the sensitivity value... is it spec'd at 1w/1m or 2.83v/1m?

Time Delay Calculator:
Old 04-08-2015   #48
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Quote:
do you know how those measurements were taken? the reason I ask is the sensitivity value... is it spec'd at 1w/1m or 2.83v/1m?
Thanks Erin - it was spec'd at 1w/1m.

Old 04-08-2015   #49

Bikinpunk

Okay. So in the neighborhood of 86dB @ 2.83v/1m.

Time Delay Calculator:
Old 04-19-2015   #50
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

I had a bit of a fail with my photos. Either something changed in Picasa or on DIYMA. I use to link my pics, could delete them out of Picasa, and they would stay in DIYMA.....not anymore.

So, here are the pics again....not in any real order.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement