Dayton Reference 10"HO - Page 2 - Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-14-2006   #26
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 164 skydeaner will become famous soon enoughskydeaner will become famous soon enoughskydeaner will become famous soon enoughskydeaner will become famous soon enoughskydeaner will become famous soon enoughskydeaner will become famous soon enough

Default Re: Dayton Reference 10"HO

yeah, updates please! You said you aren't a boom boom guy, but how is the low bass extension?
skydeaner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-14-2006   #27
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 943 chad has a reputation beyond reputechad has a reputation beyond reputechad has a reputation beyond reputechad has a reputation beyond reputechad has a reputation beyond reputechad has a reputation beyond reputechad has a reputation beyond reputechad has a reputation beyond reputechad has a reputation beyond reputechad has a reputation beyond reputechad has a reputation beyond repute

Off to do a show now... Will try to post tomorrow! Extension is L-O-W

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikinpunk View Post
Mark's an up late kinda dude. His neighbor has a horse.
chad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-15-2006   #28
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 943 chad has a reputation beyond reputechad has a reputation beyond reputechad has a reputation beyond reputechad has a reputation beyond reputechad has a reputation beyond reputechad has a reputation beyond reputechad has a reputation beyond reputechad has a reputation beyond reputechad has a reputation beyond reputechad has a reputation beyond reputechad has a reputation beyond repute

Back amongst the normal folk again

The opinions of the driver in the car are based on a very small car. You will not have the same results with this system in your Yukon/Escalade/Hummer

I worked and still do at times as a live sound engineer. I am noted for my tastes in low end within my industry. My tech rider even states this of sorts. My belief is that a sub is adequate if it will keep my pant legs in motion and/or disrupt my breathing at the mix position, whether it's 300' away from a stage or across a living room. That being said, the Dayton lives up to these expectations in this car 100%.

You will probably want to throw more power at it than I am. As for low end extension it's amazing. There are times I still go "Oooh" when it digs down there, it kinda catches me by surprise. It's a very "musical" sub for what that means, it never really catches a resonant node. Fretless bass sounds very natural when it's utilized in a slide down. I have it crossed at 63Hz and it allowed to play to 20. It will nail 20 cycles quite hard as discovered with some test tones. Again, no problem altering my breathing.

If you have a small interior you should be happy with one as long as you are not trying to knock small aircraft out of the air. You can always add another. They go in an insanely small box and deliver the goods regardless of it's very affordable price!

Chad

Quote:

Last edited by chad; 04-25-2006 at 07:42 AM..

Old 04-15-2006   #29
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 172 Pb2theMax will become famous soon enoughPb2theMax will become famous soon enoughPb2theMax will become famous soon enoughPb2theMax will become famous soon enoughPb2theMax will become famous soon enoughPb2theMax will become famous soon enough

Thanks for the info. Sounds like it would be a great sub for a truck. Small interior and small box volume. How does it do with a higher X-over? Like 80 or 100 hz? How steep do you have it?
Pb2theMax is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-15-2006   #30
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 172 Pb2theMax will become famous soon enoughPb2theMax will become famous soon enoughPb2theMax will become famous soon enoughPb2theMax will become famous soon enoughPb2theMax will become famous soon enoughPb2theMax will become famous soon enough

I just noticed that the 12" Dayton HO only has a 5-3/8" mounting depth.

I wonder how it would do in a .55 cu ft box?
Old 04-16-2006   #31
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pb2theMax
Thanks for the info. Sounds like it would be a great sub for a truck. Small interior and small box volume. How does it do with a higher X-over? Like 80 or 100 hz? How steep do you have it?

The thing about a sub in my truck is tha it is inches from my kidneys, The feeling is more viceral But I threw the Dayton on the passenger floor and was amazed, yes it um, works very well in a truck.

Chad

Quote:
Old 04-16-2006   #32
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pb2theMax
It's a 4th order crossover now, I would be more than happy to bump it up say, tonight/tomorrow and listen to it for a couple days if you'd like. JKeeping it low gives me a nice "bass up front" sound. But I'll try it higher for giggles, I'm game for anything!

Chad

Quote:
Old 04-16-2006   #33
DIYMA 500 Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by chad
The thing about a sub in my truck is tha it is inches from my kidneys, The feeling is more viceral But I threw the Dayton on the passenger floor and was amazed, yes it um, works very well in a truck.

Chad
My sub will be going in the back of my Double Cab, so it won't be pounding me in the back, but I know what you're talking about. My very first vehicle was a regular cab 85 GMC. I had every different subwoofer configuration possible over the course of the 7 years that I owned it. IMO, my three JL 8W6's was probably my favorite setup in that regular cab.

In my 05 Tacoma Double cab I think a single 10" or 12" in the back of the cab will be sweet.
Old 04-16-2006   #34
DIYMA 500 Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by chad
It's a 4th order crossover now, I would be more than happy to bump it up say, tonight/tomorrow and listen to it for a couple days if you'd like. JKeeping it low gives me a nice "bass up front" sound. But I'll try it higher for giggles, I'm game for anything!

Chad
Yeah, if you would, give it a try and see if it starts to get muddy at higher frequencies. I rhink I'd like to set my RS180s at 80 or 100hz HP, if I could.
Old 06-14-2006   #35
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 0 grindkt88 will become famous soon enoughgrindkt88 will become famous soon enoughgrindkt88 will become famous soon enoughgrindkt88 will become famous soon enoughgrindkt88 will become famous soon enoughgrindkt88 will become famous soon enough

Hey just wanted to ring in to let you guys know that I built a .45 truck box with the Dayton 10 HO. IT Flat out rocks!!! I was brousing the DIY projects on
parts-express.com and saw that Darren Kuzma wrote in his Colossus project that optimum air space was .45 ... I had to get a pair for my crew cab chevy short bed. I'm running one right now with no crossover yet and only 200 watts. Its supper clean gets down to the 20 HZ range no problem . very smooth My doughter plays her pink CD and it rings like it was recorded for the taste of rollers that only want to move air and shake windows. then you put my CD's S.R.V. chili peppers ,pantera the bass is tight .it seems to carry both low and mid bass very accurate at the same time. Dayton really knows how to build a speaker. this speaker has me wandering why I have an 18inch in my car.
grindkt88 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-16-2006   #36
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by grindkt88
this speaker has me wandering why I have an 18inch in my car.

Because it's flipping cool! Which 18 are you running?

Chad

Quote:
Old 06-16-2006   #37
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

BTW does KT88 in your name refer to the Gold Lion?

Chad

Quote:
Old 06-16-2006   #38
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 0 grindkt88 will become famous soon enoughgrindkt88 will become famous soon enoughgrindkt88 will become famous soon enoughgrindkt88 will become famous soon enoughgrindkt88 will become famous soon enoughgrindkt88 will become famous soon enough

Its a pile, that I had from 16 years ago That was sitting in a box untill about 3 years. when I purchased it I got a lot of flack from friends,because I could have gotten an Orion or Rockford for $10 more through a whole seller friend. But I made my choice because back then pile had the best true sound reproduction In my opinion. I'm not A db kind of guy I'm more of an Imaging kinda guy.
The kt88 refers to a big bottle audio transister tube. My favorite Guitar amp that I own has them in the power amp section. Love that big bottle tone.
Old 06-16-2006   #39
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

It simply called a power tube. Gold Lions are the "sought after" KT88 design. Many will pay hundreds of dollars for a worn-out set!

Which amp do you have? Old Marshall, Ampeg? 4 power tubes or 2? The 6550 is a drop in replacement, the KT88 is the mil-spec version but some of the newer Svetlana 6550's are pretty sweet and robust. I've built a few designs with KT90's but tolerances are slipping on them and it's tough to find a set that will work a long time. In their day a KT90 was a MONSTER tube! As of my current designs use KT88's or 6550's Every now and then I'll do an EL34 design but not often. My next bastid kid is going to be a 7591 amp like the really old 50's ampeg's used. It should be an interesting project.

Chad

Quote:
Old 06-18-2006   #40
DIYMA 500 Club

Smile Re: Dayton Reference 10"HO

The amp with KT88's is a Laney Supper Pro Lead modified by Splawn. The case is a Laney but the guts is all Splawn. My friend from www.rollsguitar.com traded one of his guitars with splawn, then I talked him into selling it to me. Its the 100w version butt I wish I had the 50w version. The thing is so freaking loud. With the pre at 3 and the post above 4 it makes anything not bolted down fall of shelves. thats with a clean lead sound.
I also have a Dean Markly Signature Series 60 with two 6L6's, Carvin Quad-X preamp pushing an ADA TS100S with 4 EL34's and also a little vintage Univox.
So the amps you built did you design them you're self? I've built a few
Preamps from hobby kits.

.....The just called a tube thing, I know I didn't Know you did .A lot of peaple don't know what I'm talking about when I just call it a tube.

Last edited by grindkt88; 06-18-2006 at 12:44 PM..
Old 06-18-2006   #41
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 168 Diru will become famous soon enoughDiru will become famous soon enoughDiru will become famous soon enoughDiru will become famous soon enoughDiru will become famous soon enoughDiru will become famous soon enough

Blast the glass!!!

Cool to see glass is alive and well here.

I miss my old H.H. Scott LK-150, but you best be sure I'm dead if you try for my Rocktron velocity valve.

Feeling sick? >> 12BH7 << drive it hard.
Diru is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-09-2006   #42

Rep Power: 163 Mike Hall will become famous soon enoughMike Hall will become famous soon enoughMike Hall will become famous soon enoughMike Hall will become famous soon enoughMike Hall will become famous soon enoughMike Hall will become famous soon enough

Send a message via AIM to Mike Hall Send a message via Yahoo to Mike Hall

I have been planning on using some Oz audio 250L's behind the rear seat of my crew cab F250 but I cant fit but one being these subs like airspace. I can come up with an easy 1.5 cu ft so two of these subs should be easy to make work. I wonder how these subs would compare to the 250L as far as output and sound quality.

Mike
Mike Hall is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-09-2006   #43

Rep Power: 163 Mike Hall will become famous soon enoughMike Hall will become famous soon enoughMike Hall will become famous soon enoughMike Hall will become famous soon enoughMike Hall will become famous soon enoughMike Hall will become famous soon enough

I just did some figuring and I could get 3 of these behind the rear seat of my crew cab F250. I could run them with my Xtant 1001d which i was worred about putting on a 250L. LOL How do you think 3 of these would work behind the rear seat in a crew cab?

Mike
Old 07-10-2006   #44
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 170 luvdeftonz will become famous soon enoughluvdeftonz will become famous soon enoughluvdeftonz will become famous soon enoughluvdeftonz will become famous soon enoughluvdeftonz will become famous soon enoughluvdeftonz will become famous soon enough

Send a message via ICQ to luvdeftonz Send a message via AIM to luvdeftonz Send a message via Yahoo to luvdeftonz

In a cabin as small as that of a F250, output shouldn't be a problem at all. Honestly, a single 10" HO would give plenty of output for music...a trio would be a ton of output for those days you just want to bumpety-bump. With the already low distortion of a single driver, a trio would (for music) be free of any (audible) distortion...provided you set your levels correctly.

I've got to get the 15" HF ready to go for the home...

The power of accurate observation is frequently called cynicism by those who don't have it.
luvdeftonz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-10-2006   #45

You would be surprised and how big the cab of my truck is. It would be larger than most any 4 door car for sure. Im not to worried about output as much as great sound. I over the boom stuff I think. LOL I may just get two so I can make a cool box with some fiberglass work.

Mike
Old 07-10-2006   #46
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 170 luvdeftonz will become famous soon enoughluvdeftonz will become famous soon enoughluvdeftonz will become famous soon enoughluvdeftonz will become famous soon enoughluvdeftonz will become famous soon enoughluvdeftonz will become famous soon enough

Send a message via ICQ to luvdeftonz Send a message via AIM to luvdeftonz Send a message via Yahoo to luvdeftonz

Well, the actual airspace in the cabin isn't as large as one would think (I'm a ex-Ford truck owner...before gas was $3.25/gallon ). With that said, though, a good enclosure and proper level setting is what will make it sound good. Dayton already did their part in designing the speaker to sound good...the rest is on you and the install.

The power of accurate observation is frequently called cynicism by those who don't have it.
luvdeftonz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-10-2006   #47

Rep Power: 0 THASQGOTME will become famous soon enoughTHASQGOTME will become famous soon enoughTHASQGOTME will become famous soon enoughTHASQGOTME will become famous soon enoughTHASQGOTME will become famous soon enoughTHASQGOTME will become famous soon enough

I seriously want to give 2 10" Dayton HO's a try. I have a 2006 Ford F-150 Supercab. Does anybody here have any dimensions for an enclosure (0.75" MDF) that would fit under the seat? If not, where might I come across these?

I don't want to spend a lot of money on a good custom enclosure, or a little money on a piece of crap out of China. I would love to build my own, and know it's done right.
THASQGOTME is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-10-2006   #48

I have 3 of these subs on the way along with a dayton 3 way front stage. I may only go with two subs so I will have a backup.

Mike
Old 07-10-2006   #49
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

You are going to love them! Of the casual listeners I have that know their stuff, all of them have loved the low end, clean, effortless, and low. Don't know about SPL but it's a damn good sub for SQ, I own ONE, multiples should do VERY well, watch your depth.

Cahd

Quote:
Old 07-10-2006   #50

The sub does have a 5" mounting depth like it said on PE right? By the way what size should the cut out be? I have a boxed designed up which will fit all 3 subs. Each in a .45 cu ft which includes the sub and enternal bracing. Should I have a chamber for each sub or can i let them share airspace?

Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement