Sinfoni Grandioso - My Thoughts - Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-14-2015   #1
SQ_TSX

Default Sinfoni Grandioso - My Thoughts

I have labored over this review….!

It has been written no less than three times because I wanted to properly present my findings in a manner fitting these wonderful instruments. No doubt, this has been one of the most difficult tasks I’ve taken on in quite some time. Not because I’m trying to formulate flowery language and highbrow adjectives… but because what I’ve encountered in this speaker set is so difficult to express in words.

The time spent with these speakers has been an emotional experience, truly ! Eventually, I decided to simply put my thoughts down on paper and hopefully start an open dialog to discuss them in greater detail.

So… on to a little background and the review…

My car audio history began when I was 15 years old. I’ve had the pleasure of personally using a wide variety of equipment over my nearly 30 years in this hobby. One aspect has been consistent during those years, love of music has been the driving force behind my personal search for sonic perfection.
Enter Sinfoni Grandioso…

CF25T Tweeter
The tweeter is comprised of three major parts; the CNC milled main framework, the 80% acoustically open grill and an aluminum back plate to hold it all together and mechanically reduce any vibrations that might exist. The front ring has a prominent role in the speaker's acoustic and functional applications, it works indeed as grill housing, matching point for others frame components, and especially as a Frequency Re-phaser, located in the inner perimeter, between the dome/surround and grill housing milling. It is the rounded aluminum tooling which gives the shape to the frame and a linearity to the frequency response on the whole range by providing an excellent, wide dispersion pattern.

The CF25T specs
25mm Tweeter
Normal Impedance: 4Ω
Power RMS (filtered 12dB 6000hz): 100W
Power RMS (filtered 12dB 3500hz): 60W
Voice Coil: 26mm
Sensivity: 90dB
Frequency Response: 2.500Hz - 18.000Hz
Fs: 1500Hz

CF165W Midwoofer
The midwoofer, simply put, is an engineering marvel and work of art. Sinfoni developed the Composite Frame Technology (CFT) especially for the Grandioso series. The basket structure is made of 10 different single aluminum components painstakingly designed to create a mechanical structure able to properly damp frame vibrations thus drastically reducing mechanical distortion.

The carbon fiber cone was chosen to have a maximum rigidity with minimum weight. This creates a very fast sound that allows fantastic impact capability. Typically very stiff or hard cones exhibit numerous frequency peaks. To counteract this various tests and listening sessions were conducted to reveal these problem areas. Sinfoni conceived and developed a special compound to handbrush directly onto the surface of the cone in order to attenuate those frequencies and create a “pure” linear piston.

Many times mass produced speakers overlook two parts, the surround and spider. The high-excursion rubber surround was matched to a spider that provides the speaker phenomenal bass extension as well as extremely fast musical response with weight.

CF165W Specs
Normal Impedance: 4
Power RMS: 90W
Voice Coil: 32mm
Sensivity: 89dB
Frequency Response: 50Hz - 5.000Hz
Fs: 47Hz

I’m sure at this point you can tell I really like the Sinfoni Grandioso speaker set. However, I do have two major gripes…

The absolutely atrocious response graphs that Sinfoni provided and the fact that no owner’s manual is provided.
  1. The absolutely atrocious response graphs that Sinfoni provided.
    I have no idea how these were measured… but I do not see how they are true representations of what I’ve listened to.
  2. the fact that no owner’s manual is provided.
    when someone invests in equipment of this level… leather bound parchment paper manuals should be included along with “grandioso” explanations of how these should be best setup.

But I’m nitpicking….

The sound

Let me start by saying the level of realism is simply astounding. I’ve never really encountered anything quite like these speakers ability to convey the acoustical atmosphere of each recording.

The imaging and soundstage was truly a multi-dimensional experience. I was not listening to a recording, I was part of the performance… part of the venue… truly sitting with other spectators taking in the performance.

Another aspect that became VERY apparent was the sheer power the CF165W midwoofer was capable of. A Velvert Hammer is every sense.... I truly believe these drivers are easily capable of producing content well into the subwoofer range while remaining perfectly composed. Please keep in mind, these midwoofers were high passed at 3.2kHz on a 6db slope and allowed to play all the way down....

The stage wide well beyond the physical limitations of the speaker enclosures… the stage was deep and layered… but the most surprising aspect was the amount of information that was perceivable both to each side and behind me… I was experiencing the performance…

The sound was full bodied and smooth completely devoid of any harshness nor overtly soft or muted. I can not conceive music being reproduced any truer to my ears...

My experience with the Sinfoni Grandioso was simply real !

Last edited by Audi_SQ4; 09-14-2015 at 02:25 PM..
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-14-2015   #2
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 138 Huckleberry Sound will become famous soon enoughHuckleberry Sound will become famous soon enoughHuckleberry Sound will become famous soon enoughHuckleberry Sound will become famous soon enoughHuckleberry Sound will become famous soon enoughHuckleberry Sound will become famous soon enoughHuckleberry Sound will become famous soon enough

Default Re: Sinfoni Grandioso - My Thoughts

Let's see... Mmmmm

Huckleberry Sound
Huckleberry Sound is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-14-2015   #3

Rep Power: 52 darkgable79 will become famous soon enoughdarkgable79 will become famous soon enoughdarkgable79 will become famous soon enoughdarkgable79 will become famous soon enoughdarkgable79 will become famous soon enoughdarkgable79 will become famous soon enough

Excellent review & I'm so looking forward to next year when I purchase/install a set. Not sure if I'm going to the level of Grandioso, but still. Thanks for the review.
darkgable79 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2015   #4
DIYMA 500 Club

12V Company:
CAR TUNES
Position:
SELLER

Rep Power: 122 boricua69 will become famous soon enoughboricua69 will become famous soon enoughboricua69 will become famous soon enoughboricua69 will become famous soon enoughboricua69 will become famous soon enoughboricua69 will become famous soon enough

Any pics of the vehicle that was install with those speakers?
I was expecting a lower FS on the tweeter.
The Qes,Qts,Qms on the woofer is low, so need enclosure or what?
The graphic of the woofer looks crazy.

Last edited by boricua69; 09-14-2015 at 03:03 PM..
boricua69 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-14-2015   #5
SQ_TSX

The Test Enviroment

The listening room was my run of the mill two-car garage with a concrete floor and drywall covered walls. I placed each CF165W in a sealed 4 cubic foot enclosure and positioned the CF25T in an open air baffle on top. I chose to use the large sealed enclosure to best emulate a free-air door installation.

The signal source was a Denford RFX-8250 and fed two Sinfoni La Prima amplifiers. A Prestigio was used to provide power to the CF25T tweeters and a Prodigio was used for the CF165W midwoofers.

Testing Process

When considering how to conduct the test I chose to have several separate focused listening sessions with a day between each. I also felt that I needed a standardized way to record my thoughts so the Official MECA SQL Score Sheet was used. Below is a schedule of the listening sessions:
  • Day 1 focus – Female Vocals
    Jennifer Warnes – Famous Blue Raincoat
    Eva Cassidy – Live at Blues Alley
    Norah Jones – Come Away with Me
  • Day 2 focus – Male Vocals
    Paul Simon – Graceland
    Johnny Cash – “Hurt”
  • Day 3 focus – Instrumentals
    Miles Davis – Kind of Blue
  • Day 4 focus – Fun Music I Just Enjoy
    Stevie Ray Vaughn – Couldn’t Stand the Weather
    Metallica – S&M

The CF165W midwoofer will favorably react to either a small sealed or a free-air enclosure... I've modeled them in an enclosure just large enough for the basket to fit... all the way to essentially Free-air...

I will be using the HEAVILY DAMPED OEM doors of my Acura TSX...
Old 09-14-2015   #6
DIYMA 500 Club

12V Company:
CAR TUNES
Position:
SELLER

Rep Power: 122 boricua69 will become famous soon enoughboricua69 will become famous soon enoughboricua69 will become famous soon enoughboricua69 will become famous soon enoughboricua69 will become famous soon enoughboricua69 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by SQ_TSX View Post
The Test Enviroment

The listening room was my run of the mill two-car garage with a concrete floor and drywall covered walls. I placed each CF165W in a sealed 4 cubic foot enclosure and positioned the CF25T in an open air baffle on top. I chose to use the large sealed enclosure to best emulate a free-air door installation.

The signal source was a Denford RFX-8250 and fed two Sinfoni La Prima amplifiers. A Prestigio was used to provide power to the CF25T tweeters and a Prodigio was used for the CF165W midwoofers.

Testing Process

When considering how to conduct the test I chose to have several separate focused listening sessions with a day between each. I also felt that I needed a standardized way to record my thoughts so the Official MECA SQL Score Sheet was used. Below is a schedule of the listening sessions:
  • Day 1 focus – Female Vocals
    Jennifer Warnes – Famous Blue Raincoat
    Eva Cassidy – Live at Blues Alley
    Norah Jones – Come Away with Me
  • Day 2 focus – Male Vocals
    Paul Simon – Graceland
    Johnny Cash – “Hurt”
  • Day 3 focus – Instrumentals
    Miles Davis – Kind of Blue
  • Day 4 focus – Fun Music I Just Enjoy
    Stevie Ray Vaughn – Couldn’t Stand the Weather
    Metallica – S&M

OK, when you test it in a vehicle, maybe i read the conclusion!
Old 09-14-2015   #7
SQ_TSX

It's coming sir... install to be completed Mid-October.
Old 09-14-2015   #8
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 186 miniSQ is a jewel in the roughminiSQ is a jewel in the roughminiSQ is a jewel in the roughminiSQ is a jewel in the roughminiSQ is a jewel in the roughminiSQ is a jewel in the roughminiSQ is a jewel in the roughminiSQ is a jewel in the roughminiSQ is a jewel in the roughminiSQ is a jewel in the roughminiSQ is a jewel in the rough

I love love love Eva Cassidy.... She sounds amazing on mine.

and oh yeah...sinfoni speakers ain't to shabby either.

2018 Crosstrek
Helix P SIX Mk2-AF Gs690 GB15-SI RM12- Zapco Z-2kd
miniSQ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-14-2015   #9

Rep Power: 66 #1BigMike will become famous soon enough#1BigMike will become famous soon enough#1BigMike will become famous soon enough#1BigMike will become famous soon enough#1BigMike will become famous soon enough#1BigMike will become famous soon enough

Thank you for taking the time and providing us with your easement of what looks and sounds to be a wonderful set of speakers.

I am truly looking forward to your install.
#1BigMike is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-14-2015   #10
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

12V Company:
High Definition Mobile Audio
Position:
Owner

Rep Power: 334 Niebur3 has a reputation beyond reputeNiebur3 has a reputation beyond reputeNiebur3 has a reputation beyond reputeNiebur3 has a reputation beyond reputeNiebur3 has a reputation beyond reputeNiebur3 has a reputation beyond reputeNiebur3 has a reputation beyond reputeNiebur3 has a reputation beyond reputeNiebur3 has a reputation beyond reputeNiebur3 has a reputation beyond reputeNiebur3 has a reputation beyond repute

I have personally heard and tested these exact set of speakers. It will be interesting to see how Jeremy's results compared to mine.

So far, I'm reading the same characteristics. I think I remember when comparing the Grandioso to the Maestoso, the Maestoso's sounded like an amazing set of speakers.....the Grandioso's sounded real, like you were now live.

It's like comparing a High Definition TV (Maestoso) to an Ultra High Definition 3D TV (Grandioso).

Quote:
Originally Posted by gijoe View Post
There is a difference between overkill and bad. Your idea isn't overkill, it's bad.
Niebur3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-14-2015   #11
SQ_TSX

Boricua69:
I'm really looking forward to Sonus completing my install and providing my precise opinions of the entire system. However, I took great pains to emulate an automotive listening environment. During my listening sessions I placed the speakers in various off-axis positions - 15, 45 and 60 degrees.... I also made sure to place my seating position as it would be in a vehicle... off center... even placed two chairs between the enclosures and listened from each....

Now, granted... in vehicle would be best... but I do feel confident I was able to attain a very respectable impression of how these will sound in car...

In short, I know what I'm doing and what to listen for....
Old 09-14-2015   #12
SQ_TSX

Thanks Jerry...!

During my conversations with the US Distributor, Audio Excellent, I was told that as great as the Maestoso set is... it doesn't hold a candle to the Grandioso. ... honestly, I was skeptical. .. the Maestoso has greatly impressed me and I consider it to be among the most elite available to mobile audio....

Once I set up the Grandioso and began listening to music I'm VERY familiar with. .. I was astonished by the difference....

It was like listening to a pair of Bose 321..... then putting on a set of Grad RS1 headphones. ... just an imersive sound. ...
Old 09-14-2015   #13
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 112 deeppinkdiver will become famous soon enoughdeeppinkdiver will become famous soon enoughdeeppinkdiver will become famous soon enoughdeeppinkdiver will become famous soon enoughdeeppinkdiver will become famous soon enoughdeeppinkdiver will become famous soon enough

Fantastic write up Jeremy. As always your opinion is taken with much weight as a long time SQ guy in car audio. I can only imagine the expierience of the Grandioso components knowing how defined the Maestoso component set sounds.

Thank you for taking the time and effort to go to the extent that you have to share your thoughts sir.

deeppinkdiver is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-14-2015   #14
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 282 claydo has a reputation beyond reputeclaydo has a reputation beyond reputeclaydo has a reputation beyond reputeclaydo has a reputation beyond reputeclaydo has a reputation beyond reputeclaydo has a reputation beyond reputeclaydo has a reputation beyond reputeclaydo has a reputation beyond reputeclaydo has a reputation beyond reputeclaydo has a reputation beyond reputeclaydo has a reputation beyond repute

Uh, yeah. I think a msrp would help put this review in perspective........so?

Thanks for the review, I am just curious. I'm sure it is a truly fine set of drivers.
claydo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-15-2015   #15

Banned

Rep Power: 0 cajunner has a reputation beyond reputecajunner has a reputation beyond reputecajunner has a reputation beyond reputecajunner has a reputation beyond reputecajunner has a reputation beyond reputecajunner has a reputation beyond reputecajunner has a reputation beyond reputecajunner has a reputation beyond reputecajunner has a reputation beyond reputecajunner has a reputation beyond reputecajunner has a reputation beyond repute

annnnnd...

yeah.

let's completely obstruct the elephant in the room using retail pricing as our hedge, but I'm afraid the metaphorical comparison merrymaking is cutting through my defenses, the shields are at 50% and fading, captain...

I mean, I'm all for some rhetorical jibber-jabber, but this praise for all things Sinfoni has me a little concerned.

Is there a financial incentive, is there a hidden proponent to these spurious reviews that fit a pattern, built by discount template perhaps?

Or is the Sinfoni now eclipsing all that came before it, using car audio marketing spiels to bolster the actuality which is that Sinfoni is truly a shift in the rankings and some hand-painted cones with bolt-together baskets have become some kind of epitomization of audio truth?

hmm...

not sure if someone's been fishing or not, but I'm feeling a mite peckish for some sea-bass about now...
cajunner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-15-2015   #16
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 105 hurrication will become famous soon enoughhurrication will become famous soon enoughhurrication will become famous soon enoughhurrication will become famous soon enoughhurrication will become famous soon enoughhurrication will become famous soon enoughhurrication will become famous soon enoughhurrication will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by claydo View Post
Uh, yeah. I think a msrp would help put this review in perspective........so?

hurrication is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-15-2015   #17
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 282 claydo has a reputation beyond reputeclaydo has a reputation beyond reputeclaydo has a reputation beyond reputeclaydo has a reputation beyond reputeclaydo has a reputation beyond reputeclaydo has a reputation beyond reputeclaydo has a reputation beyond reputeclaydo has a reputation beyond reputeclaydo has a reputation beyond reputeclaydo has a reputation beyond reputeclaydo has a reputation beyond repute

Lmao.....I'm sure they are steep......but still curious as to how steep...

Boom Shaka laka caj......you're spot on bout the elephant.
Old 09-15-2015   #18
SQ_TSX

Claydo:
MSRP pricing on the Grandioso speakers are as follows:
CF25T Tweeters: $2,200
CF165W Woofers: $2,950

Admittedly, will not fit into everyone's budget. The same can be said for the Esotar, Micro Precision or ZR Labs...

The Grandioso was created to showcase the pinnacle of Sinfoni design, a flagship product... This is same goal they had when designing the Desiderio amplifier... No for everyone... but a statement piece....

Also, NEVER let price dictate quality... Just because a product is expensive and uses exotic materials that doesn't always equate to true audiophile performance.... I've personally used products in the past that were quite pricy and found myself disappointed... That is never the case with Sinfoni products. That's why I always go back to the brand... In my eyes, the Sinfoni brand is the watershed for mobile audiophile products.
Old 09-15-2015   #19
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Thanks! That's actually not quite the bomb drop I was expecting with the pricing of their top tier amplifiers. Cost is subjective, surely anyone truly desiring these drivers can scrape together 5 grand. Although it healthily surpasses my self conscience driven pricing limits. I have reached my limits of justification with my "budget" revelators, lol, it's all about how much gain you feel is left after a certain threshold. Those who buy the top tier of anything are typically driven by the fact that they simply "want" that model, I've been guilty of this unexplainable behavior myself, (don't ask me how much I dropped on my first hdtv, my lawnmower, or my early model hd camcorder lmao.....), so to those folks I say go for it and enjoy!
Old 09-15-2015   #20
DIYMA 500 Club

12V Company:
CAR TUNES
Position:
SELLER

Quote:
Claydo:

Admittedly, will not fit into everyone's budget. The same can be said for the Esotar, Micro Precision or ZR Labs...

The Grandioso was created to showcase the pinnacle of Sinfoni design, a flagship product... This is same goal they had when designing the Desiderio amplifier... No for everyone... but a statement piece....

Also, NEVER let price dictate quality... Just because a product is expensive and uses exotic materials that doesn't always equate to true audiophile performance.... I've personally used products in the past that were quite pricy and found myself disappointed... That is never the case with Sinfoni products. That's why I always go back to the brand... In my eyes, the Sinfoni brand is the watershed for mobile audiophile products.
Add to the list Bewith.
Old 09-15-2015   #21
SQ_TSX

cajunner:
There is no elephant in the room, nothing secret nor nefarious taking place.... So lower your shields.... put the phasers away.... all is good here....

So here's my long-winded disclosure:

I have no financial incentive. I've opened my wallet to pay for all the Sinfoni equipment going into my Acura TSX... There are no hidden proponents... I simply BELIEVE in the brand through personal use of various Sinfoni products over the course of roughly 14 years... During that time I've tried MANY other different products and found myself ALWAYS yearning to return to Sinfoni.

Let me also say, there is no magic pixie dust.... The Sinfoni products are simply very well designed and the components installed on the boards have been painstakingly selected with sound quality in mind.

It's my experience that Sinfoni does everything with a purpose in mind...
  • That bolted together basket - creates a near perfect non-resonant framework for the moving parts of the CF165W to operate and do its job.
  • The hand painted cones - combined with the extremely stiff CF cone allows the speaker to nearly be a perfect piston without any harshness...

My personal history with Sinfoni:
My love affair with Sinfoni began in 2001 when I met the U.S. Distributor at the time. He and I formed a friendship and even discussed my working with him to promote the products and brand. It was at this time I acquired my first Sinfoni products Ė one (1) 45.2, one (1) 90.2 and one (1) 150.2. It was at this point I fell head over heels in love with the signature Sinfoni sound.

Over the years I continued to enjoy various Sinfoni products including the High Definition 60.1 mono blocks; these wonderful amplifiers remain some of my favorite.

In 2005, after learning that Sinfoni did not have a distributor for the U.S. market, I contacted the owner and expressed interest in representing the brand. After many discussions we both came to an agreement and I became the U.S. Distributor and remained so until mid-2010. At that time my family grew by two and it was decided I would not have the time to work my day job, be a good husband, be a good new father AND represent the brand properly. Sinfoni and I discussed options and I released my rights to the distributorship.

Years go byÖ Now itís 2015 and Sinfoni has a new distributor for the U.S., Emilios of Audio Excellent, and Iíve been very fortunate to form a friendship with him. For those that have dealt with Emilios you know Sinfoni is in very capable hands.

In short, I know the Sinfoni line of products very well. I know the amount of time spent in developing the amplifiers and speakers they offer. I know and share the philosophy that Sinfoni ownership embraces...

I simply want to share what I believe is the most well rounded mobile products available today with the forum members. Simple as that...
Old 09-15-2015   #22
SQ_TSX

claydo:
Given the performance of the Grandioso... I honestly feel they are a bargain...

To those forum members looking at the prices above... please remember, these are the top tier speakers Sinfoni has to offer... The pricing is indicative of that... they are also a limit edition...

If someone is looking for a fantastic sound speaker at a more manageable price point... PLEASE look into either the Appassionato or Eroico lines... They offer a level of performance unsurpassed by most brands.
Old 09-15-2015   #23
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 157 crxsir121 will become famous soon enoughcrxsir121 will become famous soon enoughcrxsir121 will become famous soon enoughcrxsir121 will become famous soon enoughcrxsir121 will become famous soon enoughcrxsir121 will become famous soon enough

I'm sure these speakers sound awesome!!! Great write up!!! I was lucky enough to own two pairs of Sinfoni HD mono blocks biamped to my rainbow speakers back in 2003. I never heard my rainbows sound so enveloping!!! I regret letting them go!!!
crxsir121 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-15-2015   #24
SQ_TSX

Thank you sir.... those HD are some of my favorites. ... I know where a few nice ones still remain.... LOL
Old 09-16-2015   #25

Rep Power: 57 Makky will become famous soon enoughMakky will become famous soon enoughMakky will become famous soon enoughMakky will become famous soon enoughMakky will become famous soon enoughMakky will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Claydo:

So this would compete with something like the Supremo line by Morel.
Could you tell me the cost of the 'lesser' range of speakers by Sinfoni please : ).

Head Unit - Pioneer DEH-80PRS
Speakers - Morel Elate 602
Amplifier - Zapco Z-150.4LX
Makky is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement