Alpine CDA-9887 with Imprint Kit (KTX-100EQ) - Page 3 - Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-30-2007   #51
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 148 Slick will become famous soon enoughSlick will become famous soon enoughSlick will become famous soon enoughSlick will become famous soon enoughSlick will become famous soon enoughSlick will become famous soon enough

Default Re: Alpine CDA-9887 with Imprint Kit (KTX-100EQ)

Still might not be charging, alot of ipod adapters will simply use thier own power and not use the ipod's, not technically charging but they keep the ipod at current battery state..not sure about this alpine but it's pretty common.

Jason Barreca
Audioriginals
Slick is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-30-2007   #52
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 148 oneiztoomany will become famous soon enoughoneiztoomany will become famous soon enoughoneiztoomany will become famous soon enoughoneiztoomany will become famous soon enoughoneiztoomany will become famous soon enoughoneiztoomany will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slick View Post
Still might not be charging, alot of ipod adapters will simply use thier own power and not use the ipod's, not technically charging but they keep the ipod at current battery state..not sure about this alpine but it's pretty common.
this seems to be more the case in my situation.

2004 acura tsx // CDA-9887, SPX-177r, type s coax for rear, PDX 4.100, PDX 1.1000, Single 12 in. Type X - sealed box // Exide Orbital 34XCD battery
oneiztoomany is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-31-2007   #53
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 0 Monologuist will become famous soon enoughMonologuist will become famous soon enoughMonologuist will become famous soon enoughMonologuist will become famous soon enoughMonologuist will become famous soon enoughMonologuist will become famous soon enough

So after living with my first MultiEQ tuning attempt for a few days, I have to say I am pretty impressed. Even with the "compromised" tuning (compromised for the betterment of all 4 seating positions), I think it would have taken me quite a long time to achieve what the MultiEQ did. Switching it on and off to compare it with my manual tuning that was primarily achieved using the crossovers and T.A. (not much EQ), at first the difference was so stark that I still gravitated to my tuning b/c I'm so used to it. But now, I can say without a doubt that the MultiEQ tuning is light years ahead of my manual tuning. It's pretty impressive how much sonic information this system has brought out of obscurity. The soundstage it has achieved is excellent, and the fequency response seems very flat. As was mentioned, you should set the subwoofer level on "0" before running it so you have room to boost it if you find it bass-shy(I think most would). I had mine set at "6", and I found that raising it up to 12-15 really helped things. With it set up like that, the overall Multieq tuning sounds brilliant as of now. On some material, there is a tad bit of treble over-emphasis. I guess you could compensate by lowering the gain on your tweeter amp channels, or you could tweek the "treble" setting that is now available, post-multiEQ. If there is any other way to adjust the treble levels, please advise. But if you are able to boost your sub levels post-mutiEQ, I think it may not be totally necessary. I think part of why it was sounding harsh at first was that I was turning the overall volume to high b/c of the bass-shyness. I am looking forward to trying a tuning with only the driver's seat...Also curious to try the "Linear" curve. I have the two other curves in the 9887's memory right now...to be honest I can't hear that much of a difference between them. How would the "Linear" curve sound compared to the other two?

I'll probably try to be more exact about my mic. locations next time; try to make it as close to my driver's side ear-height, try to situate the mic. as close to where my head would be while driving.

Anyway, mainly I'm just following up to say that the results may sound drastically different than your present manual tuning, and you may not be convinced from the getgo. But after living with it for a few days and referencing several recordings that I know very well, now switching the MultiEQ off reveals a sound that I can not believe I had previously found to be satisfactory.

IF you're really experienced and adept at using manual EQ, crossover settings and T.A., you might arrive at a similar result, but I imagine it would take you dozens of hours to get it as good as the MultiEQ. So for someone like myself that is pretty new to car stereo tuning, it's indispensable. I'd love to hear what an experienced tuner would say about it and how long it would take them to get it to that point...
Monologuist is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2007   #54
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 148 oneiztoomany will become famous soon enoughoneiztoomany will become famous soon enoughoneiztoomany will become famous soon enoughoneiztoomany will become famous soon enoughoneiztoomany will become famous soon enoughoneiztoomany will become famous soon enough

thanks for the review monoloquist, i am a total newb at tuning. so maybe i should give this technology a shot.

2004 acura tsx // CDA-9887, SPX-177r, type s coax for rear, PDX 4.100, PDX 1.1000, Single 12 in. Type X - sealed box // Exide Orbital 34XCD battery
Old 10-31-2007   #55
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 0 Monologuist will become famous soon enoughMonologuist will become famous soon enoughMonologuist will become famous soon enoughMonologuist will become famous soon enoughMonologuist will become famous soon enoughMonologuist will become famous soon enough

To the OP:
When you re-measured things all in the driver's seat, did you just leave the mic in the same position? Or did you move the mic forwards/backwards/right/left, higher, lower within the same seating location?

Once again, I depleted my car battery trying to do all 6 measurements. How many measurements are really necessary? (the manual claims 2 is enough)
Monologuist is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-04-2007   #56
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 147 Jeff in CO will become famous soon enoughJeff in CO will become famous soon enoughJeff in CO will become famous soon enoughJeff in CO will become famous soon enoughJeff in CO will become famous soon enoughJeff in CO will become famous soon enough

Glad to hear that this system really does help the novice fine tune the system better! I just received my 100EQ unit from Crutchfield and hope to try it out today. I am dissappointed to hear now that I will be losing my 5 and 7 band EQ after running the process. I do like the "ability" to fine tune if necessary.

Question: I do have an older Kenwood EQ that I could fit under the deck. Some people have indicated that the older technology would weaken the overall sound quality of the system. Wouldn't the 100EQ compensate for any deficiencies of the older EQ? It sure would be nice to have the rewards of MultiEQ along with a second unit for flexibility.

Finally, can I assume I can re-run the process over and over again...example (add or change a component in the system).
Jeff in CO is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-04-2007   #57
DIYMA 500 Club

12V Company:
Ncore Acoustical Solutions
Position:
Co-owner

Rep Power: 181 Rbsarve will become famous soon enoughRbsarve will become famous soon enoughRbsarve will become famous soon enoughRbsarve will become famous soon enoughRbsarve will become famous soon enoughRbsarve will become famous soon enough

Well, there is two options for you Jeff, you can:

A) Trust an advice from a random person that has axess to a keybord, who may or may not have experience with what you mention.

or

B) Since the imprint is a very new piece of electronics, and you have the Kenwood, you might actually spend an extra half an hour in the car hooking it up, thus gaining your own experience on the matter.
Rbsarve is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-04-2007   #58
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 0 ck279 will become famous soon enoughck279 will become famous soon enoughck279 will become famous soon enoughck279 will become famous soon enoughck279 will become famous soon enoughck279 will become famous soon enough

Has anyone experienced the "Port Open Error" code while installing the software for the KTX-100EQ?

I have tried installing it on a laptop as well as another desktop PC just to see what happens. In both instances the same error is displayed and allows me to not finish the install.

Thanks for any help.

Carl
ck279 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-04-2007   #59
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 147 Jeff in CO will become famous soon enoughJeff in CO will become famous soon enoughJeff in CO will become famous soon enoughJeff in CO will become famous soon enoughJeff in CO will become famous soon enoughJeff in CO will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rbsarve View Post
Well, there is two options for you Jeff, you can:

A) Trust an advice from a random person that has axess to a keybord, who may or may not have experience with what you mention.

or

B) Since the imprint is a very new piece of electronics, and you have the Kenwood, you might actually spend an extra half an hour in the car hooking it up, thus gaining your own experience on the matter.
Good point.......and well taken. Thanks!
Jeff in CO is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-04-2007   #60
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 152 rsvchad will become famous soon enoughrsvchad will become famous soon enoughrsvchad will become famous soon enoughrsvchad will become famous soon enoughrsvchad will become famous soon enoughrsvchad will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by ck279 View Post
Has anyone experienced the "Port Open Error" code while installing the software for the KTX-100EQ?

I have tried installing it on a laptop as well as another desktop PC just to see what happens. In both instances the same error is displayed and allows me to not finish the install.

Thanks for any help.

Carl
Do you have all components hooked up, or are you just trying to open the software by itself?
rsvchad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-05-2007   #61
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 0 ck279 will become famous soon enoughck279 will become famous soon enoughck279 will become famous soon enoughck279 will become famous soon enoughck279 will become famous soon enoughck279 will become famous soon enough

I did not have the computer connected to the other components yet. In the manual it did not state to hook up the other assemblies until after installation of the software.

But....from direct experience....do you know that to be the issue here?

Thanks for your help!

Carl
Old 11-05-2007   #62
DIYMA 500 Club

Nevermind. I called Alpine this morning and spoke with the tech dept. You are absolutely right. That error will come up if all the other cables (except the one going to the radio) are not installed.

Thanks for the input before!

Carl
Old 11-07-2007   #63
DIYMA 500 Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slick View Post
verified with the shop that i purchased the 9887 from that my Ipod is definately not getting charged. they said they have experienced some older model Alpine HUs which also had the same issue. they are going to order a brand new one for me to swap out to see if that fixes the problem.

Old 11-07-2007   #64
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 179 skylar112 will become famous soon enoughskylar112 will become famous soon enoughskylar112 will become famous soon enoughskylar112 will become famous soon enoughskylar112 will become famous soon enoughskylar112 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneiztoomany View Post
verified with the shop that i purchased the 9887 from that my Ipod is definately not getting charged. they said they have experienced some older model Alpine HUs which also had the same issue. they are going to order a brand new one for me to swap out to see if that fixes the problem.
I think it charges the ipod. I remember listening to my ipod for a while I checked the battery bar it was half full. I plugged it in, went for a 2 hour drive, took it out, and the battery bar is full. So in that instance I think it charges.

Pioneer AVIC-F90BT, 60gb video ipod,iPhone, Kenwood X1R, JL 10W6V2, rest is stock and happy.
skylar112 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-07-2007   #65
DIYMA 500 Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by skylar112 View Post
I think it charges the ipod. I remember listening to my ipod for a while I checked the battery bar it was half full. I plugged it in, went for a 2 hour drive, took it out, and the battery bar is full. So in that instance I think it charges.
yeah mine is defective i guess for that particular feature. everything other than that seems to be operating fine...

Old 11-08-2007   #66
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 146 Doug will become famous soon enoughDoug will become famous soon enoughDoug will become famous soon enoughDoug will become famous soon enoughDoug will become famous soon enoughDoug will become famous soon enough

I purchased the KTX-100EQ from Crutchfield, and noticed the software was already open! We'll see what they say when I return it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff in CO View Post
Use the sound tuning kit and then return in to us within 30 days. We'll refund the purchase price, minus a $50 re-stocking fee — that's less than you'd pay a dealer to adjust the sound for you. On the other hand, if you decide not to use the kit, return it to us with the software unopened and we'll refund the full purchase price.
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-08-2007   #67
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 146 Doug will become famous soon enoughDoug will become famous soon enoughDoug will become famous soon enoughDoug will become famous soon enoughDoug will become famous soon enoughDoug will become famous soon enough

Did not see this.... URL please?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff in CO View Post
Looking on Alpine's website, they also do recommend the PXE-H650 for the 9887 HU. They describe this unit as the next step to "really" improve the baseline.
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-10-2007   #68
DIYMA 500 Club

12V Company:
KaleCoAuto
Position:
Doggy

Rep Power: 167 MidnightCE will become famous soon enoughMidnightCE will become famous soon enoughMidnightCE will become famous soon enoughMidnightCE will become famous soon enoughMidnightCE will become famous soon enoughMidnightCE will become famous soon enough

Question -

9887. Rca jacks or rca pigtails?

04 Vette. Alpine, ARC, Dyn stuffs.
MidnightCE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-10-2007   #69
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 168 dawgdan will become famous soon enoughdawgdan will become famous soon enoughdawgdan will become famous soon enoughdawgdan will become famous soon enoughdawgdan will become famous soon enoughdawgdan will become famous soon enough

Jacks.

CDA-9887... the rest is stock.. for now..
dawgdan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-12-2007   #70
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 0 NewBostonite will become famous soon enoughNewBostonite will become famous soon enoughNewBostonite will become famous soon enoughNewBostonite will become famous soon enoughNewBostonite will become famous soon enoughNewBostonite will become famous soon enough

Smile Re: Alpine CDA-9887 with Imprint Kit (KTX-100EQ)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tec3001 View Post
Just got my KTX-100EQ and I installed on my PC per the instructions. After I tried to run the program. I received an Open Port Error, and the softaware closes.

Any suggestions??
Yup. I got the same error. First, yes, I agree, the documentation in the "user" manual sucks. Not a lot of information there.

First, go to the Imprint CD and navigate to the Driver folder and run USB_setup.exe, with everything plugged in and ready to go. That will install the proper driver so that the unit attached to the USB port will be correctly identified.

Second, make sure that you have the head unit ON before firing up the Imprint software, or you will get another error. Again, this was trial and error for me as the documentation made no mention of this.

Hope that gets you going! The results were AMAZING! And I like a lot of bass too...it did require me to crank up the gain and crossover point on my subwoofer, but compared to how I had manually adjusted everything, the software really did a great job correcting the soundstage and warming the mids and highs...a bit of tweaking on the bass and I LOVE IT!
NewBostonite is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-12-2007   #71
DIYMA 500 Club

12V Company:
KaleCoAuto
Position:
Doggy

Rep Power: 167 MidnightCE will become famous soon enoughMidnightCE will become famous soon enoughMidnightCE will become famous soon enoughMidnightCE will become famous soon enoughMidnightCE will become famous soon enoughMidnightCE will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgdan View Post
Jacks.
Pass.

Thanks.

Old 11-12-2007   #72
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 168 dawgdan will become famous soon enoughdawgdan will become famous soon enoughdawgdan will become famous soon enoughdawgdan will become famous soon enoughdawgdan will become famous soon enoughdawgdan will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidnightCE View Post
Pass.

Thanks.
No room? It's a nice unit.

CDA-9887... the rest is stock.. for now..
dawgdan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-12-2007   #73
DIYMA 500 Club

What do you mean by this, "Second, make sure that you have the head unit ON before firing up the Imprint software, or you will get another error."

The faceplate must be removed for the plug..so how is the head unit on at that point?
Do you mean to have the key to ACC? (as opposed to no key at all)

I have still not gotten mine to work. After the "port open error" now I just have a "communication error". I made sure to do things in the absolute correct order.

Thanks,

Carl

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewBostonite View Post
Yup. I got the same error. First, yes, I agree, the documentation in the "user" manual sucks. Not a lot of information there.

First, go to the Imprint CD and navigate to the Driver folder and run USB_setup.exe, with everything plugged in and ready to go. That will install the proper driver so that the unit attached to the USB port will be correctly identified.

Second, make sure that you have the head unit ON before firing up the Imprint software, or you will get another error. Again, this was trial and error for me as the documentation made no mention of this.

Hope that gets you going! The results were AMAZING! And I like a lot of bass too...it did require me to crank up the gain and crossover point on my subwoofer, but compared to how I had manually adjusted everything, the software really did a great job correcting the soundstage and warming the mids and highs...a bit of tweaking on the bass and I LOVE IT!

Last edited by ck279; 11-12-2007 at 11:03 AM..
Old 11-12-2007   #74
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 152 rsvchad will become famous soon enoughrsvchad will become famous soon enoughrsvchad will become famous soon enoughrsvchad will become famous soon enoughrsvchad will become famous soon enoughrsvchad will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by ck279 View Post
Do you mean to have the key to ACC? (as opposed to no key at all)

Yes, power must be on to the head unit. Ignition in ACC or ON position.
rsvchad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-12-2007   #75
DIYMA 500 Club

12V Company:
KaleCoAuto
Position:
Doggy

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgdan View Post
No room? It's a nice unit.
I do, I have a 9855. But i cant "flush" mount it without pigtails.

i played with one at the store, looks and feels older than the 9855.. and much older than the 7998

Sponsored Links
Advertisement