Alpine CDA-9887 with Imprint Kit (KTX-100EQ) - Page 31 - Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-19-2011   #751
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 0 focal318 will become famous soon enoughfocal318 will become famous soon enoughfocal318 will become famous soon enoughfocal318 will become famous soon enoughfocal318 will become famous soon enoughfocal318 will become famous soon enough

Default Re: Alpine CDA-9887 with Imprint Kit (KTX-100EQ)

Hey guys, quick question about an Error -2 message. I've received this code at least 15 times now, only making it completely through it once and that time after I sent the curve I believe the PXA-H100 froze. After I closed the Imprint software I disconnected the microphone by the headunit (iXA-W407) never responded and updated, I ultimately had to kill the ignition to regain control of it.

I've followed the steps perfectly including hooking the vehicle up to a battery charger just in case lack of power is an issue. I read in a previous post on this thread where someone was receiving the same error code and he said the issue was with a satellite radio running on Ai-Net for measurement. I tried disconnecting that this morning as well only having the Imprint connected and I'm still receiving the same error code.

The timing of when it gives the error is never the same, sometimes it'll happen in the first 3 minutes and other times it's made it to the subs before giving the error code. Also each time I've received it I've power cycled everything, disconnected the mic, closed Imprint, turned off the ACC off, disconnected the USB cable, and rebooted computer so I was trying a fresh run each time. Any help or suggestions would be great appreciated!!
focal318 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-27-2014   #752
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 0 sasa097 will become famous soon enoughsasa097 will become famous soon enoughsasa097 will become famous soon enoughsasa097 will become famous soon enoughsasa097 will become famous soon enoughsasa097 will become famous soon enough

Has anyone had experience with running the software on a newer version of Windows such as 8 or 8.1? I am debating between between investing about $100 into Imprint, or jumping over to the 80PRS.
sasa097 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-27-2014   #753
DIYMA 500 Club

Human (not a robot)

Rep Power: 166 Notloudenuf is just really niceNotloudenuf is just really niceNotloudenuf is just really niceNotloudenuf is just really niceNotloudenuf is just really niceNotloudenuf is just really niceNotloudenuf is just really niceNotloudenuf is just really niceNotloudenuf is just really niceNotloudenuf is just really niceNotloudenuf is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by sasa097 View Post
Has anyone had experience with running the software on a newer version of Windows such as 8 or 8.1? I am debating between between investing about $100 into Imprint, or jumping over to the 80PRS.
I have Windows 7 Home Premium. I could never get it to work on that. I finally used my old Windows Vista laptop and got the software to run on that.
There is no update, there never will be an update to the software.

The 9887 sounded great with just the regular settings however. I was very satisfied with my sound with my settings.

NCSQ
Notloudenuf is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2014   #754
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 143 bernardo will become famous soon enoughbernardo will become famous soon enoughbernardo will become famous soon enoughbernardo will become famous soon enoughbernardo will become famous soon enoughbernardo will become famous soon enough

Guys, you all can run Windows XP with a Virtual Machine, over Windows 7 or Windows 8. For example I use VMWare and its free..

So virtually i run Windows XP, MacOSX, and Ubuntu, all runing over my Windows 7

And NO the Alpine 9887 sounds Great, but with the KTX-100EQ sounds F$?#ing AMAZING
bernardo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-28-2014   #755
DIYMA 500 Club

Human (not a robot)

Rep Power: 166 Notloudenuf is just really niceNotloudenuf is just really niceNotloudenuf is just really niceNotloudenuf is just really niceNotloudenuf is just really niceNotloudenuf is just really niceNotloudenuf is just really niceNotloudenuf is just really niceNotloudenuf is just really niceNotloudenuf is just really niceNotloudenuf is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by bernardo View Post
So virtually i run Windows XP, MacOSX, and Ubuntu, all runing over my Windows 7
I tried using VMWare to run this software. The port would never connect. All other parts of Win XP would run inside of VMware except the Alpine software.
I'm not saying it's impossible because I am no computer expert but I'm saying I tried every tutorial/troubleshooting/everything I could find and could never get it to work on Win7 Home Premium.

NCSQ
Old 01-28-2014   #756
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 143 bernardo will become famous soon enoughbernardo will become famous soon enoughbernardo will become famous soon enoughbernardo will become famous soon enoughbernardo will become famous soon enoughbernardo will become famous soon enough

I dont know what to say, I have 3 cars on 9887s, so i still sometime use the KTX-100EQ and I do it running VMware and then Windows XP over my Windows 7..

I just re install the drivers on both OSs and that was all.. never had any trouble..

you should check your vmware configuration.. maybe thats the problem, the driver..

but it can be done, i do it frequently, and I can help you guys with it..
bernardo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-28-2014   #757
DIYMA 500 Club

Human (not a robot)

I'm glad you could get it to work. I have since sold my 9887, but not because of the software issue.

NCSQ
Old 01-28-2014   #758

Rep Power: 0 scsiman will become famous soon enoughscsiman will become famous soon enoughscsiman will become famous soon enoughscsiman will become famous soon enoughscsiman will become famous soon enoughscsiman will become famous soon enough

To answer your question I would go with IMPRINT. A friend of mine who went to F-1 status school wanted my 9887 because I went with the Alpine DVA-9965, PXA-H800, RUX-C800, KCA-420i. I bought a old XP laptop ($80.00) to deal with alpine’s software. I wanted the digital outputs of the 9965. I wish I kept the 9887 to use with the PXA-H800(Imprint) and RUX-C800. That’s my answer and I’m sticking to it.

“It's All About The Sound”
Alpine DVA-9965, PXA-H800, RUX-C800, KCA-420i,
JL Audio ZR650-CSi, ZR800-CW, CLS112RG-W7, HD600/4,1000/1v2
scsiman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-28-2014   #759
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 88 rmoltis will become famous soon enoughrmoltis will become famous soon enoughrmoltis will become famous soon enoughrmoltis will become famous soon enoughrmoltis will become famous soon enoughrmoltis will become famous soon enough

I used the ktx100-eq with my cda 9887.
In my ford aspire.

I have infinity kappa perfect 5.1 components
front+rear running passive so I could keep all the channels processed.
They are 400 watt max 100w rms each.
Have 2 infinity kappa 100.9w subs 1400w 350 rms
Infinity kappa one amp 1600w 800rms
Infinity kappa four amp 1200w 125w rmsx4

And 72 sq ft of dynamat extreme.

Initial impressions without imprint was the system sounded great for how it sat.
It sounded even better with some tuning.
Setting the crossover points, ta by string measurment, trying to tame peaks and dips.

But ultimately there weren't enough equalizing points to set everything perfectly by hand on this deck.
You could get a couple things just right then something else would stand out.
Then you tune that out and the old parts become out of sync.

So I went ahead and ordered the ktx100-eq
Because I didn't have an rta to use or an oscilloscope.

First thing I did was turned off the high pass and low pass filters on all the amps.
Which by itself made everything sound much warmer in the midbass and bass notes.
This was called out in the imprint manual because it likes to see the sound of the speakers unfiltered.

I set both amps around 1/4 gain.
I could turn them up more, but even by ear anything above 1/4 was driving everything too much at higher levels.

Then I went ahead and sat in each seat in the car and put a piece of tape on the roof to represent the center of my head on a vertical axis and used a pen to pinpoint on the tape exact center.

Then I also put tape on the windows to represent the center of my head on the horizontal axis and used a pen to pinpoint the center.

Then I ran string from center to center on the tape on the windows starting with the rear seats which established the horizontal axis of the listeners head center.

Then used the roof marks to find the vertical axis center for each seat and marked that spot with marker on the horizontal string for center.
Used measuring tape to find center between listeners and marked it on the string as well.

Then I hung string over each marked line so when it hung down it was centered over each mark but 1/4" above so it wouldn't interfere with the Mic readings.
Then removed the horizontal string.

I repeated these steps with the front seats as well.
And being as I was tuning for front 2 seats.
The t/a Mic placement reading was center between front listener positions.

After all the locations were "surveyed"
I proceeded to take measurements with the microphone on a tripod.
I was in a quiet place with no outsde sounds.
I would line up the microphone with the string but kept it 1/4 below to avoid weird readings.

Measured all six listening positions.
Between Front seats for t/a
Front seat
Passenger seat
Rear left
Rear right
Rear center.

Then after I was done I saved two filters.
The reference and linear.

And needless to say since all the Mic locations were spot on.
I didn't get any weird sounds.
Or collapsed stages or anything funky.
It seems very well balanced and even.
The subs mids and highs blend in well together.

And if it was tuned for the driver seat it would sound perfect to me the driver.

But it would sound bad for my fiancee who has heard the difference between driver tuned and front seats tuned.

And deems it unfair for me to get all the "good" sound.

All in all I'm very impressed.
You can now hear the mid bass drivers hitting the mid bass notes like mini subs.
And the wave decay of the subwoofers is drastically improved.
The bass used to seem longer but now that the decay has improved the accuracy of each note is very clean even for a ported box.
No long lingering bass lines.
Contanimaning the cabin airspace when the next bassline hits.

I'm very impressed with how everything has worked out.
And even though I've read bad reviews online about the imprint.
I feel its based on people who can't seem to dial in the accuracy of the tuning process.

Also people complain about the bass being reduced after the imprint process.

But usually its because they had the gain turned up much more than it needed to be.

Once it measures the wave decay in the cabin it tunes it so that when the deck is at full volume with +15 on the deck sub adjustment.
the sub produces the max amount of sound it can while blending in with the rest of the system.
While not having the extra bass lingering in the air.

So what I've learned is.
1.)Don't turn up the amp gains after imprint.
The bass adjustment on the deck on +15 produces the most bass without ruining decay.
And anything more is ruining sonic accuracy for that "booming bass"

2.) Sit in each seat to find your head placement so its not "off" in any spots. run string lines and mark head locations and center spots between passengers for Mic placement.
Because eyeballing Mic location can put your measurement off by a few inches up/down/left/right. Making for inconsistansies in stage and overall frequency response.

3.) If you finish the imprint process and see weird spots on the graph.
Adjusting the amp gains and re-tuning may help correct the imbalance to an extent. But its always good to start low and work your way up so you can see when the adjustments stop working.

1996 ford aspire
rmoltis is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-29-2014   #760
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 0 sasa097 will become famous soon enoughsasa097 will become famous soon enoughsasa097 will become famous soon enoughsasa097 will become famous soon enoughsasa097 will become famous soon enoughsasa097 will become famous soon enough

This is exactly the kind of information I was looking for. Thank you all for your (longwinded) inputs. I have KTX-100EQ on the way, hopefully I can get virtual machine to work properly.
sasa097 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-13-2015   #761

Rep Power: 0 FoxClubNiner will become famous soon enoughFoxClubNiner will become famous soon enoughFoxClubNiner will become famous soon enoughFoxClubNiner will become famous soon enoughFoxClubNiner will become famous soon enoughFoxClubNiner will become famous soon enough

Sorry to drag up a thread. I lost my CD for the software but I still have all the equipment. Does anyone know where I can get the software? Thanks!
FoxClubNiner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-14-2015   #762
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 140 ninogui will become famous soon enoughninogui will become famous soon enoughninogui will become famous soon enoughninogui will become famous soon enoughninogui will become famous soon enoughninogui will become famous soon enough

Hello

here you go:

https://mega.co.nz/#F!W1Qx2AKL!XXU6IYnGjrf0U_mA5Z2_xQ

This is the latest ever released version 1.1.1 cd rom folders
you have the usb driver folder and the imprint folder with the *.msi installation package. Also includes .net versions and language packs whenever needed.

happy to know someone still using this unit!

greetings
ninogui is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-15-2015   #763

Rep Power: 0 marcbe will become famous soon enoughmarcbe will become famous soon enoughmarcbe will become famous soon enoughmarcbe will become famous soon enoughmarcbe will become famous soon enoughmarcbe will become famous soon enough

..heads up

I know that you've spoken about it on few occasions, however I still haven't find resolution.. Imprint (KTX-100EQ with CDA-9887) hangs on first test on 99% and wont move any further.. I've tried Imprint 2.1 and 1.1, Windows 7 Pro and XP Pro SP2 same.. Any help please?

I have also noticed that during test I can hear "test sound vibrations" only from front speakers, no sounds are coming from back shelf speakers.. my set is 2-way compo (tweeter+bass) with cross on front + 3way speakers on shelf (no amp and no sub for now). HU set to 3way.

Last edited by marcbe; 03-15-2015 at 12:31 PM..
marcbe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-16-2015   #764
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 140 ninogui will become famous soon enoughninogui will become famous soon enoughninogui will become famous soon enoughninogui will become famous soon enoughninogui will become famous soon enoughninogui will become famous soon enough

Hi there

I am 99% sure these type of problems are related to usb drivers and operating system

On the safe side I can tell you that my old portable with windows XP had no problem fully running the application to good results

On the practical side I have abandoned the imprint routine, I can hold much better results fine tuning the system by ear, starting by measuring and entering the real distance from a certain driver to my head position inside the car, and I can tell you I have tried dozens of runs of the imprint, never got "ear" satisfactory results

rgds
nuno
Old 03-16-2015   #765

Rep Power: 0 marcbe will become famous soon enoughmarcbe will become famous soon enoughmarcbe will become famous soon enoughmarcbe will become famous soon enoughmarcbe will become famous soon enoughmarcbe will become famous soon enough

Hi Nuno, Thanks for replay.. hmm, I am using 32-bit WinXP SP2 with original drivers, how to be sure..

Regarding CDA-9887, Imprint would unlock additional functionality like front-back balance, trebles and bass settings.. can I do setup without Imprint?
Old 03-17-2015   #766

Rep Power: 0 AudioDon will become famous soon enoughAudioDon will become famous soon enoughAudioDon will become famous soon enoughAudioDon will become famous soon enoughAudioDon will become famous soon enoughAudioDon will become famous soon enough

Hi,
There's nothing like subscribing to a 8 year old thread :-)

I've been loving a cda-9856, but I've finally got a 9887 on the way. I'm on the fence as to whether I should try and find the ktx-100eq and set it up, or do it by ear. There's also a shop locally that'll do it for $100. I'd appreciate any opinions.

In the meantime please keep the discussion going, and I'll go back and continue reading from the beginning.

Thanks
AudioDon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-17-2015   #767

Rep Power: 78 lurch will become famous soon enoughlurch will become famous soon enoughlurch will become famous soon enoughlurch will become famous soon enoughlurch will become famous soon enoughlurch will become famous soon enough

i tried a few diff laptops with my alpine cda117.
never did work. never made a connection. FRUSTRATING.
i finally gave up and moved on to a pioneer prs80.
i still have the 117 and the audyssy eq in the closet ...

in youth we learn.
in age we understand.
lurch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-18-2015   #768
DIYMA 500 Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcbe View Post
Hi Nuno, Thanks for replay.. hmm, I am using 32-bit WinXP SP2 with original drivers, how to be sure..

Regarding CDA-9887, Imprint would unlock additional functionality like front-back balance, trebles and bass settings.. can I do setup without Imprint?
If I can remember correctly you should flip a switch on the units lower back to get it into active mode, with this switch on you have access to mostly all the parameters that really matter
Old 03-18-2015   #769
DIYMA 500 Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by AudioDon View Post
Hi,

I've been loving a cda-9856, but I've finally got a 9887 on the way. I'm on the fence as to whether I should try and find the ktx-100eq and set it up, or do it by ear. There's also a shop locally that'll do it for $100. I'd appreciate any opinions.

In the meantime please keep the discussion going, and I'll go back and continue reading from the beginning.

Thanks
As said before even with successful runs of the imprint system never accomplished a satisfactory result to my ears, in my opinion you would be throwing money out the window (and the audio setup companies will be happy to take it from you!)

With the unit in active mode - meaning no passive crossovers in place, the unit connects straight to the drivers or to amplifier(s) and onto the drivers you have access to cut off frequencies, delays (distance) and slopes per channel so you can program whatever you perceive as best

One of these days I will try to remember and post how I did the setup 7 years ago by ear, in the end I was able to win the Emma sound quality contest active 4 + 1 channels category semi-final in portugal, placed second in the finals - 2007 I think was the year

Bear in mind the 9887 setup is just a detail in the ideal sounding setup inside a car! the guy that won that year´s final was a Czech national toeing in his (very) old mercedes (engine did not run!) with a (apparently) very simple system of just a head unit and a couple loudspeaker drivers.. shamming and slamming a dozen other competitors with eye popping and powerful multi-thousand bucks systems, so you see there is much more to this than meets the eye, or ear in this case!

rgds

Last edited by ninogui; 03-18-2015 at 04:07 AM..
Old 03-20-2015   #770

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcbe View Post
..heads up

I know that you've spoken about it on few occasions, however I still haven't find resolution.. Imprint (KTX-100EQ with CDA-9887) hangs on first test on 99% and wont move any further.. I've tried Imprint 2.1 and 1.1, Windows 7 Pro and XP Pro SP2 same.. Any help please?

I have also noticed that during test I can hear "test sound vibrations" only from front speakers, no sounds are coming from back shelf speakers.. my set is 2-way compo (tweeter+bass) with cross on front + 3way speakers on shelf (no amp and no sub for now). HU set to 3way.
Hi I fixed 99% issue with USB FTDI drivers update to 2.12 from this website:
D2XX Direct Drivers helped. First load delivered with Imprint software drivers, then newer 2.12 and Imprint software at the end.

However I still cannot measure rear speakers, no sound is cumming out during test. Many Thanks for help!
Old 08-16-2015   #771

Rep Power: 0 Bakler1285 will become famous soon enoughBakler1285 will become famous soon enoughBakler1285 will become famous soon enoughBakler1285 will become famous soon enoughBakler1285 will become famous soon enoughBakler1285 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by AudioDon View Post
Hi,

Thanks
I've got 4 9887s because this, with Imprint, is all I want a head unit to be. It sounds great by itself, with no tuning, but the KTX-100EQ really unlocks the potential of the head unit. Maybe some people can achieve these kind of results without the KTX, but I could not, and I'd be willing to bet most people could not even get close to the results that Imprint did.

I completely agree with a lot of what is said here about the gripes people have with the Imprint being due to their use of it. It seems to me, after having run it about 25 times now on 7 different cars, that it is very sensitive. If you don't do it just right, the results can be rather disappointing, but with some trial and error, you can surely achieve results that will wow you.

The long post, a few posts up from mine, where the person is talking about using tape and string to map out the listening area, is spot on. The mic being a few inches off here or there honestly does seem to make quite a difference in the imaging results.

When I first received the tuning kit, I had lots of problems, error codes before starting, halfway through running it, etc. This was using the software (v1.1 I think) and drivers that came with the KTX, on a Windows XP machine.

I found a copy of the software, v2.10 and downloaded the latest FTDI D2xx drivers from the manufacturer's website (link is in the post above mine), and this enabled me to get the program running properly on Windows 7 64-bit. I have not tried this on 8, 8.1 or 10, but I would assume 8 and 8.1, at least, would be able to run the same way. If not, run the software in compatibility mode.

Install the software, plug everything in and turn your ignition to ACC, grab the latest drivers and install those. Then turn off your ignition, unplug the serial cable from the front of the head unit. For good measure, reboot your computer after installing everything.

Now, before running it, you want to hold the RESET button on the front of the head unit until it beeps, to clear out any adjustments made in the head unit prior to running Imprint. Then, turn off all crossovers on your amps, set the gains to Nominal (or whatever it would be on your particular amp), turn off any bass boost or other sound adjustments settings your amp may have.

Now that you are ready to run it, hook your car up to a battery charger to ensure you don't have drops in voltage while you are tuning it. Connect all the cables and mic to the KTX, the KTX to the head unit, and then the USB cable to your computer (use USB 2.0 ports, 3.0 may be fine, but I've heard they could cause compatibility issues with some devices; so, to be safe, just use 2.0 ports if you can). If doing this on a laptop, plug in the charger, change your power plan to High Performance and set the computer to sleep NEVER, or no lower than 1 hour.

Now you are ready to begin, make sure your car is in as quiet of a place as possible, be SILENT when you are running this. Turn your ignition to ACC/ON Open up Imprint sound manager and begin. Make sure your placement of the mic is consistent, as was mentioned a few posts up. Run it through and check your results, set the curves to the head unit and you are done. I always found myself preferring the Reference curve over the other 2 options but your tastes may vary.

If anyone has any questions I will be monitoring this thread and can help with any troubles you may be having. My specialty is IT, so I can surely help some of you that are having issues with getting the software to run correctly. I've run this many times without issue, so despite the documentation and support of the software being terrible, it should work, given the right circumstances.

But to anyone wondering if they should get this, do it, don't look back. Buying the KTX and using it made me so happy, I bought 4 more 9887s off eBay, and 5 of my friends have now purchased them as well, based on hearing my system. It's a great little tool and worth every penny if you just take your time with it and get used to running it.
Bakler1285 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-16-2015   #772
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 119 jmontoya21 will become famous soon enoughjmontoya21 will become famous soon enoughjmontoya21 will become famous soon enoughjmontoya21 will become famous soon enoughjmontoya21 will become famous soon enoughjmontoya21 will become famous soon enough

Me coming from a cda-9887 with imprint would sincerely recommend a deh-prs80 with auto tune I had my fare share of Alpines and IMHO none come close to the Sq of the pioneer
jmontoya21 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-26-2015   #773

Rep Power: 0 McIntosh 431 mobile will become famous soon enoughMcIntosh 431 mobile will become famous soon enoughMcIntosh 431 mobile will become famous soon enoughMcIntosh 431 mobile will become famous soon enoughMcIntosh 431 mobile will become famous soon enoughMcIntosh 431 mobile will become famous soon enough

Man talk about saving the best for last.. Page 31, you guys are great!!
This is exactly what I've been looking for, but for one detail..
I have a PXA-H100 waiting for me when I get home. Will get the mic and use Imprint soon.
Question is- will Imprint establish crossover points for the mid to tweet, or just for the sub to mid??
I'm good with setting the upper Xover myself before running Imprint, but I'd rather let the automated system do its thing.
As long as I do my part.. Which is to optimize the system before running Imprint.
I'm an engine tuner by trade, and this sounds like the same thing. Never goes well, but good things come to those who don't give up!
Thanks Guys.
Eric
McIntosh 431 mobile is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement