Listening impressions of the Alpine PXA-H700/701 - Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-11-2007   #1
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 197 GlasSman will become famous soon enoughGlasSman will become famous soon enoughGlasSman will become famous soon enoughGlasSman will become famous soon enoughGlasSman will become famous soon enoughGlasSman will become famous soon enough

Default Listening impressions of the Alpine PXA-H700/701

Ok I had had my PXA-H700 installed earlier this year for a few months but removed it along with the rest of the system and hadn't had it installed since.

Theres no question it's a versatile processor. Some people find some of the Para EQ features annoying, some have encountered noise issues, many say it's not Hi-Fi enough.

I won't comment on any of the features or what it can do since we all know what it can and can't do. Theres actually not much it can't do. It's more processor than most will ever need.

What I will be commenting on is the SOUND of the processor. Now I don't have access to countless pieces of mega buck gear but I have listened for considerable lengths of time to very high end, HIGH RESOLUTION systems. So I know whats possible with todays ubber expensive gear.

I can only comment on the differences it made on MY SYSTEM. While not top of the line it's a good choice of budget gear thats well over 10 years old with the exception of the Sony.

The system consists of:

Adcom ACE-15 line conditioner

Sony DVP-S7700 DVD/CD player for playback - Top of the line DVD from around 2000(MSRP$1200)thats very well reviewed with Copper case and considered a solid CD transport with very good digital filters. Many that reviewed it said it should have the ES designation. That would surely have added to the MSRP...so I guess they did us a favor.

Adcom GFA-545 II power amp

Adcom GFP-545 II preamp

Polk Audio Monitor 10 Series II - 2 6.5" woofers, soft dome tweeter and 10" passive radiator. Very well reviewed back in early 90's. Theres other spreakers I would have chose at the time but having a friend that worked at Tweeters I had access to many good deals. They've served me well for the past 17 years and a good match for my Adcom amp.

This test stems from many comments made that that the PXA-H700/701 is not sonically as transparent as other processors and not designed as well as it could have been. I had doubts I would want to use it in my system again. So I figured...I'm happy with the sound of my home gear. Why not compare it directly to the filters in my Sony source unit. Sony doesn't make the best of everything. But they've done seversl things very right in home audio and the DVP-S7700 DVD/CD player is a good example of this.

To keep things fair I went into the Adcom preamp from the H700. I hooked the RCAs from the Sony to Tape1 and the RCA's from the H700 to Tape2. That way A/B comparisons were only one click away. And of course I hooked th optical from the Sony into the Alpine.

I hooked up the Alpine to a 10 amp power supply which is sufficient for a low level device such as this.

I'll start by saying it introduced NO NOISE using the optical input.

After adjusting the X-Over and being sure all EQ settings were set to flat and no Mx processing was activated, all input/output adjustments were made and correct speakers were selected I was ready to go. I level matched on the Alpine unit to the listening level I chose from both inputs. I arrived at a 32 volume level.

I started out with some of the Zuki test discs and played some other well recorded CD's.

On the Opeth CD Ghost Reveries I was pleasantly surprised at the things I was hearing. Fingers sounds on guitar strings were very well defined and not just a backgroung sound. That guitar player was closer to me. Everything was just presented with more resolution. The bass guitar was more up front, bass drum attack and decay was more defined, vocals were more up front and cleaner, cymbals details came through. Everything was more clearly defined and not as confusing. I'm a drummer, so I know what cymbals sound like. Cymbals went from a ping to "OK I can tell thats a medium weight cymbal and not a heavy cymbal. There were overtones that weren't present before.

If any of you know the overhang you get with a nice sounding bass drum, well I heard this compared to a thud with the Sony filters. I felt on every recording I was closer to the recording studio. Like there was a piece of carpet removed from the front of the speakers.

As I write this I'm listening to Opeth/Ghost Reveries Requiem/Harlequins Forest and my spine is tingling from the level of resolution presented to me. I'm astounded. I'm also spoiled since without the Alpine processor the system doesn't move me as much. I feel as though I just hear the music and have no involvement. The Alpine brings you in there.

I felt like I was listening to a different system. My speakers are capable of performance I wasn't aware of. I now feel good saving these for a secondary system in the future.

On some not so stellar recordings there wasn't as much of a difference. But still things were clearer and sounded as if a veil was removed.

I haven't listened to nearly enough material as I'd like but I auditioned enough well recorded discs to have a solid opinion on the sonics of this processor.

In conclusion I'll say this. I do not doubt the sonics of this processor anymore. Despite the flaws it might have from a design standpoint, I am now reassured of one thing:

It sounds DAMN GOOD!

///Alpine / Soundstream / Image Dynamics / MB Quart / Fountek

---Custom fabricated speaker baffles and templates---

Last edited by GlasSman; 11-12-2007 at 09:55 AM..
GlasSman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-14-2007   #2
req
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 194 req is a glorious beacon of lightreq is a glorious beacon of lightreq is a glorious beacon of lightreq is a glorious beacon of lightreq is a glorious beacon of lightreq is a glorious beacon of lightreq is a glorious beacon of lightreq is a glorious beacon of lightreq is a glorious beacon of lightreq is a glorious beacon of lightreq is a glorious beacon of light

Default Re: Listening impressions of the Alpine PXA-H700/701

i would like to comment on the h701 and its rca interconnects.

having sound in the car without an optical cable for the input however, i do have induced noise. its not alt whine. its a scratchy high pitched buzz when the volume on the h701 is high and the volume on my 9830 is low. vice versa, it has a very very small but audible effect at high volumes.

im not sure how it is in other peoples installations - but i can not wait to upgrade to an optical output with DVDaudio support. and in the future HDDVDaudio

but thats my 2 cents.
req is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-15-2007   #3
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 197 GlasSman will become famous soon enoughGlasSman will become famous soon enoughGlasSman will become famous soon enoughGlasSman will become famous soon enoughGlasSman will become famous soon enoughGlasSman will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by req View Post
i would like to comment on the h701 and its rca interconnects.

having sound in the car without an optical cable for the input however, i do have induced noise. its not alt whine. its a scratchy high pitched buzz when the volume on the h701 is high and the volume on my 9830 is low. vice versa, it has a very very small but audible effect at high volumes.

im not sure how it is in other peoples installations - but i can not wait to upgrade to an optical output with DVDaudio support. and in the future HDDVDaudio

but thats my 2 cents.
Check this out:

http://www.elitecaraudio.com/forums/...2&pagenumber=1

Old 12-08-2007   #4
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

This one needs a nudge to the top since it's such a popular unit and the best ALL- IN-ONE WONDER BOX.

Old 12-13-2007   #5

Seen Rock City

Rep Power: 184 MiloX will become famous soon enoughMiloX will become famous soon enoughMiloX will become famous soon enoughMiloX will become famous soon enoughMiloX will become famous soon enoughMiloX will become famous soon enough

I cannot disagree with that assesment.

For the price, there is no better DSP available today. Yeah... there are some quirks.

I am removing mine from the competition car and using the processing built into my amplifiers for next year. I am trying to minimize items in the signal path.

I know for sure that the following class champions from IASCA and MECA finals this year were running the 701:

Joe Karpus
Andy Jones
David Brooks

Solid piece for the dollars. That's fo sho!

Brian Young - 2012 Ford F-150 Raptor
Phoenix Gold|Dynaudio|Audience|AudioMobile
Team Audio Designs- Hardcore will never die.
MiloX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-14-2007   #6
DIYMA 500 Club

12V Company:
Audition Audio
Position:
Co-owner/General Manager

Rep Power: 150 Scott P will become famous soon enoughScott P will become famous soon enoughScott P will become famous soon enoughScott P will become famous soon enoughScott P will become famous soon enoughScott P will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiloX View Post
I cannot disagree with that assesment.

For the price, there is no better DSP available today. Yeah... there are some quirks.

I am removing mine from the competition car and using the processing built into my amplifiers for next year. I am trying to minimize items in the signal path.

I know for sure that the following class champions from IASCA and MECA finals this year were running the 701:

Joe Karpus
Andy Jones
David Brooks

Solid piece for the dollars. That's fo sho!
Brian how many people were using the Zapco Processing? I know Steve and Kirk are but not to sure after that.

This also reminds me that I really need to get to ATL and persuade Jeff to teach me how to properly use mine. I've jacked the GEQ up something horrible.

Other than that I have to agree as well with the review. I can't think of a better value I've ever invested in (car audio wise)
Scott P is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-17-2007   #7
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

The Zapco DC Reference amps are the only solution I would consider to eliminate the H700.

I have to get my hands on a DC Reference just to do the A/B comparison.

I was blown away with the difference between the Sony D/A converters and the H700.

If the DC Reference processing is THAT much better I might cream my pants.

Old 12-18-2007   #8
Upgrade Your Membership!

Diyma Ninja

Rep Power: 280 thehatedguy has much to be proud ofthehatedguy has much to be proud ofthehatedguy has much to be proud ofthehatedguy has much to be proud ofthehatedguy has much to be proud ofthehatedguy has much to be proud ofthehatedguy has much to be proud ofthehatedguy has much to be proud ofthehatedguy has much to be proud ofthehatedguy has much to be proud ofthehatedguy has much to be proud of

If I sent you my DSP-6, you would want to get away from the computer while typing your review. It is not too far behind the Rane and my modded Bel Canto DAC2 in terms of sound...and both of those stomp the H900.
thehatedguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-18-2007   #9
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by thehatedguy View Post
If I sent you my DSP-6, you would want to get away from the computer while typing your review. It is not too far behind the Rane and my modded Bel Canto DAC2 in terms of sound...and both of those stomp the H900.
Well I might have been listening as I wrote the review but I did listen to over 6 hours worth of music over a 3 day period.

But I get what you're trying to say.

Old 01-05-2008   #10
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Sonically this processor might be very low on the totem pole compared to other processors.

But it still makes me grin on a daily basis listening to recordings I haven't heard in a while.

Old 01-05-2008   #11

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 0 demon2091tb will become famous soon enoughdemon2091tb will become famous soon enoughdemon2091tb will become famous soon enoughdemon2091tb will become famous soon enoughdemon2091tb will become famous soon enoughdemon2091tb will become famous soon enough

Send a message via AIM to demon2091tb Send a message via Yahoo to demon2091tb

Is there any way to get inside the 701 and change out chips, etc, upgrade or is this completely undoable?

J/w if its possible not that i'd even try......wouldn't know where to begin.
demon2091tb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2008   #12
Upgrade Your Membership!

Diyma Ninja

Rep Power: 280 thehatedguy has much to be proud ofthehatedguy has much to be proud ofthehatedguy has much to be proud ofthehatedguy has much to be proud ofthehatedguy has much to be proud ofthehatedguy has much to be proud ofthehatedguy has much to be proud ofthehatedguy has much to be proud ofthehatedguy has much to be proud ofthehatedguy has much to be proud ofthehatedguy has much to be proud of

You can, but it's not really worth it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by demon2091tb View Post
Is there any way to get inside the 701 and change out chips, etc, upgrade or is this completely undoable?

Old 01-06-2008   #13

Bikinpunk

Thanked 1,401 Times in 630 Posts
Rep Power: 26022 ErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond repute

Send a message via AIM to ErinH

Quote:
Originally Posted by thehatedguy View Post
You can, but it's not really worth it.
I got the same response when i asked this a few months ago. Someone linked me to a thread on ECA where (I think) Scott Buwalda (sp?) had said he took a look at "upgrading" the 701 and concluded it just wasn't worth the hassle.

Time Delay Calculator:
http://tracerite.com/calc.html
ErinH is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-09-2008   #14
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by demon2091tb View Post

Some guy in Indonesia had several mods performed on his H700.

Old 01-09-2008   #15
Upgrade Your Membership!

Diyma Ninja

He's got about $240 worth of caps, $24 in opamps, and $200 in a new clock.

And it still hasn't addressed the major weakness in the 701- the volume control.

But if you guys want to throw $500 worth of parts at a $300 processor...go right a head.
Old 01-10-2008   #16
DIYMA 500 Club

12V Company:
Ncore Acoustical Solutions
Position:
Co-owner

Rep Power: 182 Rbsarve will become famous soon enoughRbsarve will become famous soon enoughRbsarve will become famous soon enoughRbsarve will become famous soon enoughRbsarve will become famous soon enoughRbsarve will become famous soon enough

I have been thinking of adding a clock upgrade to it with a synch wire to the 9861 that I'm currently running, since there seems to be some jitter issues going on there.

Sure it is a couple of hundred bucks more, but honestly the only thing I would consider upgrading to is the DEQX and that is a lot of hassle and more then a few bucks aswell...

Just Erik's opinion...
"Love that vision of just blasting through the pearly gates, backwards, in a flaming Swedish supercar! Yes! I'm here! Where are the women?"
Rbsarve is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-14-2008   #17
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rbsarve View Post
I have been thinking of adding a clock upgrade to it with a synch wire to the 9861 that I'm currently running, since there seems to be some jitter issues going on there.

Sure it is a couple of hundred bucks more, but honestly the only thing I would consider upgrading to is the DEQX and that is a lot of hassle and more then a few bucks aswell...

Well if the cash isn't a problem I guess it's worth doing. But the badly designed volume control should be addressed.

Old 01-26-2008   #18
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Did some listening with Ai-Net into the PXA-H700 and things weren't so hot. More to follow......

Old 01-28-2008   #19
Ace

Rep Power: 0 Ace will become famous soon enoughAce will become famous soon enoughAce will become famous soon enoughAce will become famous soon enoughAce will become famous soon enoughAce will become famous soon enough

good info. im tryin to decide what im going to run in the truck
Ace is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-28-2008   #20
Ace

Rep Power: 0 Ace will become famous soon enoughAce will become famous soon enoughAce will become famous soon enoughAce will become famous soon enoughAce will become famous soon enoughAce will become famous soon enough

thanks!!
Ace is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-28-2008   #21
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 164 ///Audience is on a distinguished road///Audience is on a distinguished road///Audience is on a distinguished road///Audience is on a distinguished road///Audience is on a distinguished road

btw... theres a good thread on ECA about modding an h701.

2013 VW GTI
iPad, Mosconi 6to8, Illusion C6 / C4CX / C12XL, JL HD600/4, HD1200/1
///Audience is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-15-2008   #22
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by BassBaller5 View Post
btw... theres a good thread on ECA about modding an h701.
I saw that one.

Old 02-15-2008   #23
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 148 LastResort will become famous soon enoughLastResort will become famous soon enoughLastResort will become famous soon enoughLastResort will become famous soon enoughLastResort will become famous soon enoughLastResort will become famous soon enough

I didn't see it, somebody want to point to it?
LastResort is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-18-2008   #24
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by LastResort View Post
I didn't see it, somebody want to point to it?
Let me find it.....

Old 02-18-2008   #25
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 148 LastResort will become famous soon enoughLastResort will become famous soon enoughLastResort will become famous soon enoughLastResort will become famous soon enoughLastResort will become famous soon enoughLastResort will become famous soon enough

Thanks!
LastResort is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement