MB Quart QSD 216 - Page 2 - Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-18-2007   #26

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 0 SouthSyde will become famous soon enoughSouthSyde will become famous soon enoughSouthSyde will become famous soon enoughSouthSyde will become famous soon enoughSouthSyde will become famous soon enoughSouthSyde will become famous soon enoughSouthSyde will become famous soon enoughSouthSyde will become famous soon enough

Send a message via AIM to SouthSyde

Default Re: MB Quart QSD 216

the stock passives have the tweets crossed at 2.5k which is too low for these tweets IMO.
SouthSyde is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-18-2007   #27
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 196 GlasSman will become famous soon enoughGlasSman will become famous soon enoughGlasSman will become famous soon enoughGlasSman will become famous soon enoughGlasSman will become famous soon enoughGlasSman will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthSyde View Post
the stock passives have the tweets crossed at 2.5k which is too low for these tweets IMO.
This is why they perform better active....one reason anyway.

///Alpine / Soundstream / Image Dynamics / MB Quart / Fountek

---Custom fabricated speaker baffles and templates---

Last edited by GlasSman; 11-19-2007 at 09:33 AM..
GlasSman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-19-2007   #28
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 162 hibuhibu will become famous soon enoughhibuhibu will become famous soon enoughhibuhibu will become famous soon enoughhibuhibu will become famous soon enoughhibuhibu will become famous soon enoughhibuhibu will become famous soon enough

Send a message via AIM to hibuhibu

Quote:
Originally Posted by iyamwutiam View Post
Starboy - I will take the fours -if you wish.
The QSDs are very good in terms of how easy they are to put in and get good sound- and if one looks closely at the auto hi-fi review on their site - the new signatures (basically QSDs -that are matched pairs) have TIED rainbow platinums for sound quality!!

Which makes me think - WHY in the WORLD hasn't Seas sent their Lotus reference set to be reviewed by Auto Hi-Fi as they are one of the biggest car audio magazines in the world- I hope the guys at diymobile are listening - because I would REALLY love to see the review.

As for active versus passive - I am sure those xovers are optimized for standard door locations (in terms of the two ways and they are pretty impressive). The power issue -is a whole other kettle of fish - which hope to start a thread on- since all drivers go into compression and there is a limit in terms of headroom - and delivery of that headroom - effectively into a speaker. I hope we can get werewolf and NPdang to join in.

Everyone always says more is better - but where does it stop? I remember Scott Buwalda had like a Zapco 6.0 on EACH driver - thats ridickalus!!!

Given the same circuit(same amplifier) but higher rated power, I do not think it will make a difference after a certain amount of power.
For ex, it is rather extreme I guess, but given a same type of amplifier, I dont think 1000w per channel will really make a difference upon 500w per channel on midranges since your midranges would not consume 500W in real life. It will probably blow before it is really fed with that much power.
But this is only my thoughts, who knows? haha
hibuhibu is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2007   #29
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMA Founder

Rep Power: 221 npdang will become famous soon enoughnpdang will become famous soon enoughnpdang will become famous soon enoughnpdang will become famous soon enoughnpdang will become famous soon enoughnpdang will become famous soon enough

Send a message via ICQ to npdang Send a message via AIM to npdang Send a message via Yahoo to npdang

Quote:
Originally Posted by iyamwutiam View Post
Somebody has a quote in their sig but how he would rather spend hourse tuning his system rather than jump on the next boner speaker. As a boner chaser - I must say he might be worth listening to- one thing that is hardly mentioned often enough is the fact that the car has Waaaay more effect on the speaker than the speaker n the car.

By that I mean - so many things -resonance is probably number one - in the sense that you are basically in an enclosed steel box which is pretty leaky. It makes a F**(K of a difference whether they have .00000001 percent distortion completely perfect BL, less distortion etc.

Well you know this already - and i guess I should stand up now and say - I have been a audioholic shopaholic for x years and I NEED help. You get the point - trust me its a great rush - and all - but really --the harvest is with working with your stuff (and YES of COURSE I am a hypocrite- excuse me - i have to go by some Audio Technology and Seas's latest super duper reference). Chu (Skylar) is probably the most pragmatic person I have ever known in this regard and he actually has a tremendous ear and a ton of experience. People like him are a joy to meet and learn from.

peace
I totally agree, hence the sig. However, with the caveat that the distortion (to my ears) is quite noticeable. And when I speak of distortion, I'm not talking about the driver crapping out as most people do, but of shifts in tonality as the volume is increased. You might not be able to tell a Peerless Exclusive from a Revelator, but you can definitely tell an MBQ from a Lotus mid in a highly optimized setup with a good ear.

I'm just not an MBQ fan, but not for the reasons you would typically hear. I have no problem tuning the tweeter, but in my experience it's difficult to get uncolored sound from it... whether it be from the titanium dome and it's uncontrolled resonances, or from the large diffuser on the front of the tweeter. The same problem I had with the Focal titanium and tioxid domes.

The mid I just find to lack resolution and is displacement limited compared to what I usually use. In a car, I'm not sure that matters a whole lot, but if I can get better for the money then why not?

A speaker is only as good as the room you put it in.
npdang is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-19-2007   #30
ATB
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 177 ATB will become famous soon enoughATB will become famous soon enoughATB will become famous soon enoughATB will become famous soon enoughATB will become famous soon enoughATB will become famous soon enough

I've had a set of QSD 216's with the passives in a WRX for almost 5 years now. This was way before I even knew what "active" meant. I have always thought they sounded pretty good...the tweet is in the factory location which is severely off axis. They are powered by a genesis dual mono, crossed at ~70 Hz and have no EQ.

I had two main reasons for choosing the QSDs at the time: they were recommended by my shop that I had trusted for years and they are one of the few 6.5s that fit a WRX door easily.

I do prefer the 720PRS mid + Cal25 combo I have in the Legacy. If I decide to keep the WRX I'll consider going active with new tweets mounted in a better location.
ATB is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-24-2009   #31
DIYMA 500 Club

12V Company:
car stereo
Position:
installer

Rep Power: 0 slowfkn808 will become famous soon enoughslowfkn808 will become famous soon enoughslowfkn808 will become famous soon enoughslowfkn808 will become famous soon enoughslowfkn808 will become famous soon enoughslowfkn808 will become famous soon enough

right now i am running the premium 2005 mbq tweets active. its cut at 3.15khz @ 24khz . also had some eq cuts to take away the harshness. now they are not harsh like mbq tweets but still has the mbq sparkle. btw if im not mistaken the resonance freq is 1200 so 2400khz cut off from the passive crossover is about right,however since it is a passive crossover the slope is to wide. right now im using mmats midwoofers - a/d/s 641 midrange - mbq tweets(blew my px.concepts so i have to deal with this)Which is not bad when it has eq cuts it actually sounds like a higher end tweeter. all ran in active

oh and i forgot to mention they sound best to me when they are on axis so you can mellow out the lower frequencies .

wow. FAIL sory didnt see the date
slowfkn808 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-24-2009   #32
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 163 beerdrnkr will become famous soon enoughbeerdrnkr will become famous soon enoughbeerdrnkr will become famous soon enoughbeerdrnkr will become famous soon enoughbeerdrnkr will become famous soon enoughbeerdrnkr will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowfkn808 View Post
right now i am running the premium 2005 mbq tweets active. its cut at 3.15khz @ 24khz . also had some eq cuts to take away the harshness. now they are not harsh like mbq tweets but still has the mbq sparkle. btw if im not mistaken the resonance freq is 1200 so 2400khz cut off from the passive crossover is about right,however since it is a passive crossover the slope is to wide. right now im using mmats midwoofers - a/d/s 641 midrange - mbq tweets(blew my px.concepts so i have to deal with this)Which is not bad when it has eq cuts it actually sounds like a higher end tweeter. all ran in active

oh and i forgot to mention they sound best to me when they are on axis so you can mellow out the lower frequencies .

wow. FAIL sory didnt see the date
Lol...I actually just picked up a brand new set of the MB Quart premium pce-213 comps and i'm pretty excited. I had a friend who had them in his bmw and they sounded great. I think I saw somewhere that people have won a few sq comps with the premium sets back in the day, I'm sure it was mostly install dependant though.
beerdrnkr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-13-2015   #33

Rep Power: 68 Phil Indeblanc will become famous soon enoughPhil Indeblanc will become famous soon enoughPhil Indeblanc will become famous soon enoughPhil Indeblanc will become famous soon enoughPhil Indeblanc will become famous soon enoughPhil Indeblanc will become famous soon enough

I too just got a set of these used as I remember how much I liked them in 1993 or so, I guess back then it was CX or Q or something?

But I have no idea how I will run them!

All I know is that I have a
3sixty3 for my stock HU,
MTX 4ch 4300x that can push about 100rms X4 @12v into 4Ohm.
MB Quart QSD216 (2way 6.5" + 25mm Tweeters)
MBQuart reference RCE269, which are 6x9" separates.

I have other amps like a OG HiFonics Zeus pre vii series, an Orion 80, and some standard Clarion 400w 2 ch amp.

If I get rid of all the amps......

What would be a few amp choices that are compact for under a seat (or 2) to run? (Without the idea of;" why dont you omit your rear doors and just bridge for the front stage?. I know, but I dont want to as I have kids, and I dont feel like listening to KidBop or whatever at volumes they need to in the rear. And I like passengers to get a front seat sound expereince :-)
I do plan on adding my 10" DVCoil Perfect Kappa Infinity M3d sub...But I need to find someone who can make a resin stealth box.

When did you say this post is from? :-)

Last edited by Phil Indeblanc; 06-13-2015 at 10:30 AM..
Phil Indeblanc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-13-2015   #34

Rep Power: 68 Phil Indeblanc will become famous soon enoughPhil Indeblanc will become famous soon enoughPhil Indeblanc will become famous soon enoughPhil Indeblanc will become famous soon enoughPhil Indeblanc will become famous soon enoughPhil Indeblanc will become famous soon enough

cool! I resurfaced a thread from 2009! Thats a good feeling!
.... when you can go back and apply todays knowledge to yesteryears tech!
Old 06-13-2015   #35

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 75 DDfusion will become famous soon enoughDDfusion will become famous soon enoughDDfusion will become famous soon enoughDDfusion will become famous soon enoughDDfusion will become famous soon enoughDDfusion will become famous soon enough

Tiny little power house that should fit under a seat.

http://www.ddaudio.com/products/mobi...ss-series/ss2b
DDfusion is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-13-2015   #36

I would need 2 to 4 of those and still none for a future sub! I don't plan on giving up ANY car space for it. just under a seat or 2.
Old 06-13-2015   #37

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 75 DDfusion will become famous soon enoughDDfusion will become famous soon enoughDDfusion will become famous soon enoughDDfusion will become famous soon enoughDDfusion will become famous soon enoughDDfusion will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Indeblanc View Post
I would need 2 to 4 of those and still none for a future sub! I don't plan on giving up ANY car space for it. just under a seat or 2.
I don't know how much space you have. They are about as big as a CD. The 4 channel isn't that much bigger. I'll dig up some reference picks.

I didn't want to give up space so I mounted my amps under the rear deck in the trunk. Not sure if that's a option to you.
Old 06-13-2015   #38

Enthusiast

Not sure if you seen a MS-8 in person, if so this will give you a idea.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (77.9 KB, 8 views)
Old 06-13-2015   #39
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 221 tyroneshoes has a spectacular aura abouttyroneshoes has a spectacular aura abouttyroneshoes has a spectacular aura abouttyroneshoes has a spectacular aura abouttyroneshoes has a spectacular aura abouttyroneshoes has a spectacular aura abouttyroneshoes has a spectacular aura abouttyroneshoes has a spectacular aura abouttyroneshoes has a spectacular aura abouttyroneshoes has a spectacular aura about

p900.4

small and 150x2 and 450x1 for when you get the sub setup

Precision Power Phantom 4CH 900W RMS Amplifier - Newegg.com

Precision Power PPI P900.4 Phantom 4-Channel Amplifier

I actually preferred my qsd216 bi amped and passive.

this too

http://www.mobilesoundworks.com/Prod...8ncaAnlv8P8HAQ

depends on vc cnfig of sub. but a 4 channel or 3 channel would work well as would using the ms8 to power the rears untill you got the sub up.

Subaru Impreza - Pioneer MVH-1400NEX - Zapco Studio 100 - ESB DT 8.25 - Zapco ST-204D SQ - ESB 8.165 - Sundown SD3-10

Jeep Patriot - JBL MS8 - Alpine PDR-F50 - Kenwood KFC-XP6902C (6x9 + 2.75 wideband) - MB Quart P19 tweets - Alpine PDR-M65 - Boston Acoustics g5 10"
tyroneshoes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-13-2015   #40

JBL link size says:
Quote:
Dimensions: 9-11/16"W x 11-15/16"L x 2-9/16"H

Wow, is that the package? or the amp? :-)

Quote:
Variable Bass Boost (0 to +12 dB bass boost at 50 Hz)
Soft start turn-on
Gain LED indicators for proper gain adjustment
3/2 or Mono channel operation
Heavy duty aluminum alloy heat-sink
Nickel-plated RCA level inputs
Nickel-plated screw terminals
Input sensitivity:

Low level: 125mV-5V
High level: 250mV-10V

Variable high-pass filter (40-200 Hz, 24 dB/octave)
Variable low-pass filter (40-200 Hz, 24 dB/octave)
CEA-2006 compliant amplifier
Frequency response: 10-23000 Hz

PPI also...
Quote:
Dimensions: 10-15/16"L x 6-3/4"W x 2"H

The PPI and JBL are about the same price with a deal from NewEgg on the PPI..
do they both have comparable EQ control?
Quote:
MOSFET power supply
LED power (green) and protect (red) indicators
On/Off circuit delay
4/3/2 channel operation
3-Way System Protection circuitry
Tri-mode capable
Band-pass crossovers
Input source selector
SMT Circuitry
Composite double sided epoxy PCB
Heavy duty aluminum alloy heatsink for extreme heat dissipation
Nickel-plated RCA level inputs
Nickel-plated screw terminals
Input sensitivity:

Low level: 200mV-6V

Variable high-pass filter (20-4000 Hz, 12 dB/octave)
Variable low-pass filter (50-5000 Hz, 12 dB/octave)
Damping factor: >114
Is there a benefit in dealing with a dealer? (besides phone support)

In what way are these amps better than the couple others considered?
So far if I stack them, they might come out to be the same size with wire space I need to consider.

I see a DD CS5 4ch, but no size info either.

Under $200 sounds like a deal.
I dont know the size of the MS8, but know a CD is about 6 inches. I have space for that x3, but do I want to deal with more wires?

No size info on the DDAudio... gotta make things easier to rule out. the pdf didnt have the size info either.
I dont find any prices for DD

Last edited by Phil Indeblanc; 06-13-2015 at 12:12 PM..
Old 06-13-2015   #41

Enthusiast

Quote:
JBL link size says:

Wow, is that the package? or the amp? :-)

PPI also...

The PPI and JBL are about the same price with a deal from NewEgg on the PPI..
do they both have comparable EQ control?

I dont find any prices for DD
DD is dealer only. You will have to find one for a price. Don't be afraid to haggle, they have a lot of wiggle room.
Old 06-13-2015   #42

Enthusiast

Quote:
Is there a benefit in dealing with a dealer? (besides phone support)

In what way are these amps better than the couple others considered?
So far if I stack them, they might come out to be the same size with wire space I need to consider.
I'll never deal with anything I have to wait for a email and ship myself again. Dealer will take care of everything.
They are Korean not Chinesse. And it's DD. if you need to call DD for anything they answer if they are open and there is only a few people that know what's going on. Not joe off the street doing tech support.
I loved every DD product I've owned. I can't say that for much stuff. Except JL slash amps. If you are not trying to buy $4000 4 channels give them a shot.

Give them a call if you need any info. The C is AB. It's bigger and listed on the site. C5d | DD Audio
Old 06-13-2015   #43
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 221 tyroneshoes has a spectacular aura abouttyroneshoes has a spectacular aura abouttyroneshoes has a spectacular aura abouttyroneshoes has a spectacular aura abouttyroneshoes has a spectacular aura abouttyroneshoes has a spectacular aura abouttyroneshoes has a spectacular aura abouttyroneshoes has a spectacular aura abouttyroneshoes has a spectacular aura abouttyroneshoes has a spectacular aura about

the ppi has more crossover options (not an issue due to your dsp) the jbl has more sub power if you have a 2 ohm sub (slightly less if 4 ohm)and is very easy to set gains on due to its design.

Both are very small amps. PPI is full range class d. JBL is class a/b on the full range and class d on sub channel. You wont hear much audible difference between the ppi, jbl or dd amps

Subaru Impreza - Pioneer MVH-1400NEX - Zapco Studio 100 - ESB DT 8.25 - Zapco ST-204D SQ - ESB 8.165 - Sundown SD3-10

Jeep Patriot - JBL MS8 - Alpine PDR-F50 - Kenwood KFC-XP6902C (6x9 + 2.75 wideband) - MB Quart P19 tweets - Alpine PDR-M65 - Boston Acoustics g5 10"
Old 06-13-2015   #44

Good info Ty!

I was a bit on the fence on the ABD stuff, but with he JBL it sounds like a non issue (drum roll)! Also the sub section might be handy.

The dealer in LA on the DD said the A4 is $239 just amp, installed with 4guage wires for $299 ...huh!? lol (I have wires that cost me more than the wires and install)

Last edited by Phil Indeblanc; 06-13-2015 at 12:33 PM..
Old 06-13-2015   #45

Enthusiast

DD has a gain remote with clip light that's dead on to scopes if you get the SS.

The only thing that swayed me from PPI on my build since it's a forum loved amp. PPI is now owned by Elipsion AKA Power Acoustik. If you have issues you are dealing with Power Acoustik.

I wanted to do slash amps again but they where just to big. And the DDs had way more power.

JBL is always a good option.
Old 06-13-2015   #46

Well the PPI has more power, and took the sub out of the box, its a 10" DVC Kappa Perfect (over 10 years old). It says 400RMS 1200 peak with 2 terminals.

Last edited by Phil Indeblanc; 06-13-2015 at 12:45 PM..
Old 06-13-2015   #47
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

If its an Infinity Kappa Perfect 10.1d, the jbl will work perfect. The dvc perfect were all dvc 4 ohm (2 ohm amp load) if I recall

Last edited by tyroneshoes; 06-13-2015 at 12:50 PM..
Old 06-13-2015   #48

Yes, its the VQ DVCoil. (made in Taiwan)
One side of the rear magent says "VQ(something I forgot, rescrewed it in the box)", and just below opposite side it says "VQ mid" carved in the metal.
pretty hefty sub

Shoot, the JBL is less powerful :-)

(50rms vs 100+)

Last edited by Phil Indeblanc; 06-13-2015 at 12:59 PM..
Old 06-13-2015   #49

Enthusiast

Check pricing on the DD. I just seen you where in SoCal. I hear their dealers are expensive there. It might go ahead and knock it out.
Old 06-13-2015   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDfusion View Post
... It might go ahead and knock it out.
whats that mean?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement