MB Quart QSD 216 - Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-16-2007   #1
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 159 hibuhibu will become famous soon enoughhibuhibu will become famous soon enoughhibuhibu will become famous soon enoughhibuhibu will become famous soon enoughhibuhibu will become famous soon enoughhibuhibu will become famous soon enough

Send a message via AIM to hibuhibu

Default MB Quart QSD 216

First of all, you can check out my install thread herehttps://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/...ad.php?t=19541

As you can see the system consists of
-Panasonic Head unit,
-RF360.2
-Infinity Reference 4ch Amplifier
-Alpine Mono MRP-M850
-DIYMA Reference 12"
-MB Quart QSD

As the title insists, the review will be on QSD 216 Components.
Let me first tell you guys that I am no expert by any means, and this review will be very subjective based on my limited experience. English is my second language as well, so please excuse my grammar and lack of vocabulary.

Tweeter
- I know there are several debate regarding the quality of MB Quart Tweeters.
But Let me say it here clearly, the Q Series tweeters are NOT harsh when used properly. This tweeter is by far the sweetest tweeter I have heard. However, these tweeters are only as good as the installer/tuner. Where you put these tweeters greatly influences how they sound.
Putting them On Axis as you would with soft dome tweeters? Big No No.
These tweeters need to be Mounted Far off axis. When installed correctly, these tweeters will give you the top end extension like no other. In terms of crossing them over, I have it crossed it over at 3.25k with 12db slope.
Passive crossover cuts it off at 2.4k with 18db, but I do think that it is maybe lil too low for these tweeters. In terms of eq, i noticed slight spike at or around 4khts which could be associated with what people call harsh. But no trouble here though, bit of Eqing fixes the problem. I think these tweeters do what they are supposed to do the best, that is playing the cymbals etc. I would personally cross it over even higher if I have an ability to run three way active. Bottom line here is install them Far off axis on pillars, cross them over bit higher, and you are good to go.

Midrange/Midbass
By no means, these midranges are midbass monsters like scan or the new premier component. I have mine crossed over at 70hts. Yet, the midbass is snappy and tight. Not a bad performer at all. In terms of midrange, they are fair. Maybe it is because I mounted them in my doors, but they do sound lil bit colored. Bit of clever EQing could definitely help here. But I am terrible with EQ. haha
However, in terms of detail, they do perform quite well.
Bottom Line? they are fair midbass performer with good detail in midrange(bit colored).

The system as a whole,

-The system images quite well. Expecially the tweeters. The imaging from tweeter is dead on without any TA. I believe putting them off axis on Pillars helped here alot. The midranges needed TA from RF 360.2, but can't complain here since I mounted my midranges in doors. As a whole, the stage is quite high. They do extend fairly far away as well. Depending on recording here, but the voice extends farther than my windshield with certain songs. As for upfront bass, as long as I am not playing a rap song with over boosted 40htz, it does give me up front bass. I can definitely appreciate nice recordings here. To sum it up, I think the QSD components are fair choice for the going price these days. Running them active can really bring out the potential, and it is only as good as YOU are!!!! so have fun experimenting and tuning because it does have the ability to give you a rewarding sound!

Here is how I would rate these speakers.

Value: 8.5 considering the current going prices.
Performance: 7.5
hibuhibu is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-16-2007   #2
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 177 ocuriel will become famous soon enoughocuriel will become famous soon enoughocuriel will become famous soon enoughocuriel will become famous soon enoughocuriel will become famous soon enoughocuriel will become famous soon enough

Default Re: MB Quart QSD 216

Nice review. Definitely a good buy these days.
ocuriel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-16-2007   #3

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 0 SouthSyde will become famous soon enoughSouthSyde will become famous soon enoughSouthSyde will become famous soon enoughSouthSyde will become famous soon enoughSouthSyde will become famous soon enoughSouthSyde will become famous soon enoughSouthSyde will become famous soon enoughSouthSyde will become famous soon enough

Send a message via AIM to SouthSyde

OMG there is someone who dont think the qsd tweeters are harsh?? say it aint so! im running mbq 3 way in my car and they sound great... glad to see mbq lovin.
SouthSyde is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2007   #4
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 145 Rockin'Z28 will become famous soon enoughRockin'Z28 will become famous soon enoughRockin'Z28 will become famous soon enoughRockin'Z28 will become famous soon enoughRockin'Z28 will become famous soon enoughRockin'Z28 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthSyde View Post
OMG there is someone who dont think the qsd tweeters are harsh?? say it aint so! im running mbq 3 way in my car and they sound great... glad to see mbq lovin.
x2. I'm running MBQ 2-ways in my truck and also this same QSD 216 set in my Z28. My truck sounds awesome, my Camaro is still a work in progress so I can't say yet.

Any idiot can survive a crisis. It's the day-to-day living that wears me down.
Rockin'Z28 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-16-2007   #5
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 261 quality_sound is just really nicequality_sound is just really nicequality_sound is just really nicequality_sound is just really nicequality_sound is just really nicequality_sound is just really nicequality_sound is just really nicequality_sound is just really nicequality_sound is just really nicequality_sound is just really nicequality_sound is just really nice

I've always liked the sound of properly tuned Quart set. I've even tossed around trying out their new nano sets if I can find the room for the 5.25" mid since I want to run a 3-way up front.

quality_sound is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-17-2007   #6
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 159 hibuhibu will become famous soon enoughhibuhibu will become famous soon enoughhibuhibu will become famous soon enoughhibuhibu will become famous soon enoughhibuhibu will become famous soon enoughhibuhibu will become famous soon enough

Those of you guys who have QSD 216, where did you guys crossed them over at?
Did you mess around with EQ at all, if so which frequencies?
I want to see if there are common spikes or dip with the midranges because mine is definitely lil bit off from how it should sound.

Thanks for the inputs.
Old 11-17-2007   #7

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 0 SouthSyde will become famous soon enoughSouthSyde will become famous soon enoughSouthSyde will become famous soon enoughSouthSyde will become famous soon enoughSouthSyde will become famous soon enoughSouthSyde will become famous soon enoughSouthSyde will become famous soon enoughSouthSyde will become famous soon enough

got the mids crossed at 200 24db to 4k 12 db and the tweet 4k 24db. i cut 250 a few dbs, 500 a few dbs, 1-2k a few dbs, 4k a few dbs, and 6.3k and 8k a few dbs. but it all depends on the acoustics of your car.
Old 11-17-2007   #8
Upgrade Your Membership!

Rep Power: 158 iyamwutiam will become famous soon enoughiyamwutiam will become famous soon enoughiyamwutiam will become famous soon enoughiyamwutiam will become famous soon enoughiyamwutiam will become famous soon enoughiyamwutiam will become famous soon enough

I had the two way QSDs- and I agree with the comments. I actually think the mid (6.5) is the under-rated gem and not the tweeter. Proper door installation does wonders and they do fie till 70 to do hertz. I think in terms of their vocals and detail - they are hard to beat. They do sound more 'live' than laidback - which is my preference.

And absolutely a very good deal - for the going prices.
iyamwutiam is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-17-2007   #9
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 154 bigabe will become famous soon enoughbigabe will become famous soon enoughbigabe will become famous soon enoughbigabe will become famous soon enoughbigabe will become famous soon enoughbigabe will become famous soon enough

In terms of unsung heroes from MB Quart, I'm a fan of the Reference Series tweeters. Those tweets combined with the midranges from the QSD sets are quite amazing. They seem a little smoother than the QSD tweeters with every bit as much top end extension.

I've always preferred them.
bigabe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-17-2007   #10
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 193 GlasSman will become famous soon enoughGlasSman will become famous soon enoughGlasSman will become famous soon enoughGlasSman will become famous soon enoughGlasSman will become famous soon enoughGlasSman will become famous soon enough

Good review.

I've always loved Quart tweeters. The Q/Premium tweeter used in all Q and Premium sets through 2006 with the composite surround has been my favorite tweeter for a while now.

I just don't don't get the "HARSH" reviews many people give them.

If they're installed properly and tuned they sound fantastic and do what a top quality tweeter is suppose to do.

And yes. Off axis in the A-Pillars. ABSOLUTELY FUCKING AMAZING

Quote me on that.

///Alpine / Soundstream / Image Dynamics / MB Quart / Fountek

---Custom fabricated speaker baffles and templates---
GlasSman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-17-2007   #11
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 145 Rockin'Z28 will become famous soon enoughRockin'Z28 will become famous soon enoughRockin'Z28 will become famous soon enoughRockin'Z28 will become famous soon enoughRockin'Z28 will become famous soon enoughRockin'Z28 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthSyde View Post
got the mids crossed at 200 24db to 4k 12 db and the tweet 4k 24db. i cut 250 a few dbs, 500 a few dbs, 1-2k a few dbs, 4k a few dbs, and 6.3k and 8k a few dbs. but it all depends on the acoustics of your car.
Dang! That's what I was gonna say...except I don't have anywhere near that control in either of my systems.

I'm running them passive in both vehicles. It's becoming more clear to me how much more control you can have with an active setup, I just need to make that leap in $$ and energy.

Any idiot can survive a crisis. It's the day-to-day living that wears me down.
Rockin'Z28 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-17-2007   #12
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 167 starboy869 is on a distinguished roadstarboy869 is on a distinguished roadstarboy869 is on a distinguished roadstarboy869 is on a distinguished roadstarboy869 is on a distinguished road

I wonder how cloes the QSD are the QSC line ? I was thinking on upgrading my 4" driver to the 5.25 Alpine F1.

Chris
system for sale.
starboy869 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-17-2007   #13
DIYMA 500 Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by starboy869 View Post
I wonder how cloes the QSD are the QSC line ? I was thinking on upgrading my 4" driver to the 5.25 Alpine F1.
They are pretty much the same except for the material used to coat the woofers. The only real difference is the passive crossovers.
Old 11-17-2007   #14
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 151 Blackcharger06 will become famous soon enoughBlackcharger06 will become famous soon enoughBlackcharger06 will become famous soon enoughBlackcharger06 will become famous soon enoughBlackcharger06 will become famous soon enoughBlackcharger06 will become famous soon enough

If anybody wants a pair of the qsd's let me know. I have them in my car now, but my Hertz are going in it's place. I'm only looking for a few hundred bucks for them.

My stuff
Hertz MLK 2's B A sl95's JL audio 450/4 JL 500/1 JL 10w7 Alpine Iva w205 Alpine Pxa H701
Blackcharger06 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-17-2007   #15
Upgrade Your Membership!

Rep Power: 158 iyamwutiam will become famous soon enoughiyamwutiam will become famous soon enoughiyamwutiam will become famous soon enoughiyamwutiam will become famous soon enoughiyamwutiam will become famous soon enoughiyamwutiam will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by hibuhibu View Post
They are pretty much the same except for the material used to coat the woofers. The only real difference is the passive crossovers.
Somebody has a quote in their sig but how he would rather spend hourse tuning his system rather than jump on the next boner speaker. As a boner chaser - I must say he might be worth listening to- one thing that is hardly mentioned often enough is the fact that the car has Waaaay more effect on the speaker than the speaker n the car.

By that I mean - so many things -resonance is probably number one - in the sense that you are basically in an enclosed steel box which is pretty leaky. It makes a F**(K of a difference whether they have .00000001 percent distortion completely perfect BL, less distortion etc.

Well you know this already - and i guess I should stand up now and say - I have been a audioholic shopaholic for x years and I NEED help. You get the point - trust me its a great rush - and all - but really --the harvest is with working with your stuff (and YES of COURSE I am a hypocrite- excuse me - i have to go by some Audio Technology and Seas's latest super duper reference). Chu (Skylar) is probably the most pragmatic person I have ever known in this regard and he actually has a tremendous ear and a ton of experience. People like him are a joy to meet and learn from.

peace
Old 11-17-2007   #16
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 158 kskywr will become famous soon enoughkskywr will become famous soon enoughkskywr will become famous soon enoughkskywr will become famous soon enoughkskywr will become famous soon enoughkskywr will become famous soon enough

What helped me with the Q tweets was getting a dashmat. It really mellowed them out. I still have to agree though that placement plus proper x-over/EQ'ing is paramount with the Qs.
kskywr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-18-2007   #17
DIYMA 500 Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by iyamwutiam View Post
Somebody has a quote in their sig but how he would rather spend hourse tuning his system rather than jump on the next boner speaker. As a boner chaser - I must say he might be worth listening to- one thing that is hardly mentioned often enough is the fact that the car has Waaaay more effect on the speaker than the speaker n the car.

By that I mean - so many things -resonance is probably number one - in the sense that you are basically in an enclosed steel box which is pretty leaky. It makes a F**(K of a difference whether they have .00000001 percent distortion completely perfect BL, less distortion etc.

Well you know this already - and i guess I should stand up now and say - I have been a audioholic shopaholic for x years and I NEED help. You get the point - trust me its a great rush - and all - but really --the harvest is with working with your stuff (and YES of COURSE I am a hypocrite- excuse me - i have to go by some Audio Technology and Seas's latest super duper reference). Chu (Skylar) is probably the most pragmatic person I have ever known in this regard and he actually has a tremendous ear and a ton of experience. People like him are a joy to meet and learn from.

peace
I can't agree more with you on that. "The harvest is with working with your stuff" We are talking about car audio here.
Old 11-18-2007   #18
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 147 reker13 will become famous soon enoughreker13 will become famous soon enoughreker13 will become famous soon enoughreker13 will become famous soon enoughreker13 will become famous soon enoughreker13 will become famous soon enough

Nice Review! I just picked up a pair of QSD216 and plan to use a 3sixty.1 and the passive crossovers.

Now that I read your review, I'll probably go with a 4 channel amp to power the set so I can go active in the future. (maybe) How much power should go to the QSDs? The manual says 90-170 RMS. Would 200 - 300 RMS per channel be overkill?
reker13 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-18-2007   #19
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 176 skylar112 will become famous soon enoughskylar112 will become famous soon enoughskylar112 will become famous soon enoughskylar112 will become famous soon enoughskylar112 will become famous soon enoughskylar112 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by iyamwutiam View Post
Chu (Skylar) is probably the most pragmatic person I have ever known in this regard and he actually has a tremendous ear and a ton of experience. People like him are a joy to meet and learn from.

peace
I'm not sure how that comment came about, nor do I think I deserve the compliment but thank you Sanjay.

Pioneer AVIC-F90BT, 60gb video ipod,iPhone, Kenwood X1R, JL 10W6V2, rest is stock and happy.
skylar112 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-18-2007   #20
Upgrade Your Membership!

Quote:
Originally Posted by skylar112 View Post
I'm not sure how that comment came about, nor do I think I deserve the compliment but thank you Sanjay.
You are too modest. You have been a pivotal force in the NJ meets. But to answer the question - it came from experience- of meeting you and learning from you. anyway - before i start to get all soppy - thanks for everything - I am not really good at that sort of stuff in person. BTW - I still want to hook up with you - I did take your advice about the system and need feedback.
Old 11-18-2007   #21

Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockin'Z28 View Post
Dang! That's what I was gonna say...except I don't have anywhere near that control in either of my systems.

I'm running them passive in both vehicles. It's becoming more clear to me how much more control you can have with an active setup, I just need to make that leap in $$ and energy.
they qsds really shines when its ran active...
Old 11-18-2007   #22
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 193 GlasSman will become famous soon enoughGlasSman will become famous soon enoughGlasSman will become famous soon enoughGlasSman will become famous soon enoughGlasSman will become famous soon enoughGlasSman will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by starboy869 View Post
If you use them active....no difference.

My ears can't tell the difference between a paint that contains 100% Titanium and one thats a Titanium alloy paint.

If you plan on using th passives the QSD is a better bet since the passives are better quality than the ones in the QSC set.

The only difference in the tweeters is one says QTC on the back and the other says QTD.

///Alpine / Soundstream / Image Dynamics / MB Quart / Fountek

---Custom fabricated speaker baffles and templates---
GlasSman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-18-2007   #23
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 167 starboy869 is on a distinguished roadstarboy869 is on a distinguished roadstarboy869 is on a distinguished roadstarboy869 is on a distinguished roadstarboy869 is on a distinguished road

I just paid for a set of Alpine F1 5,25 speakers. Now this thread is making rethink my setup and keep the 4" from the QSC 210 line. blah

Chris
system for sale.
starboy869 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-18-2007   #24
DIYMA 500 Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by reker13 View Post
Nice Review! I just picked up a pair of QSD216 and plan to use a 3sixty.1 and the passive crossovers.

Now that I read your review, I'll probably go with a 4 channel amp to power the set so I can go active in the future. (maybe) How much power should go to the QSDs? The manual says 90-170 RMS. Would 200 - 300 RMS per channel be overkill?
I am running them 100 watts per channel. So 400 watts total for front stage.
More the better.
Old 11-18-2007   #25
Upgrade Your Membership!

Starboy - I will take the fours -if you wish.
The QSDs are very good in terms of how easy they are to put in and get good sound- and if one looks closely at the auto hi-fi review on their site - the new signatures (basically QSDs -that are matched pairs) have TIED rainbow platinums for sound quality!!

Which makes me think - WHY in the WORLD hasn't Seas sent their Lotus reference set to be reviewed by Auto Hi-Fi as they are one of the biggest car audio magazines in the world- I hope the guys at diymobile are listening - because I would REALLY love to see the review.

As for active versus passive - I am sure those xovers are optimized for standard door locations (in terms of the two ways and they are pretty impressive). The power issue -is a whole other kettle of fish - which hope to start a thread on- since all drivers go into compression and there is a limit in terms of headroom - and delivery of that headroom - effectively into a speaker. I hope we can get werewolf and NPdang to join in.

Everyone always says more is better - but where does it stop? I remember Scott Buwalda had like a Zapco 6.0 on EACH driver - thats ridickalus!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement