Dyn Audio Esotar2 1200 - Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-29-2008   #1
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 155 jayhawkblk will become famous soon enoughjayhawkblk will become famous soon enoughjayhawkblk will become famous soon enoughjayhawkblk will become famous soon enoughjayhawkblk will become famous soon enoughjayhawkblk will become famous soon enough

Default Dyn Audio Esotar2 1200

OK boys and girls I got them broke in and decided to test one of them out before it goes in the BMW. I am going to compare it with the Morel Ultimo 12 which currently resides in my xB. I have a box built already for this comparison. The box has an internal volume of 1.7ft^3. The amp that will power the 2 subs is a Tru S500. I did not change any of the setting that I had on the amp from sub to sub to keep all things equal.

Let me first state that I absolutly love my Ultimo. It had quickly become my favorite sub that I have owned and I have owned a lot. Like most of you here constantly changing things to find that perfect combination. The Sub prior to the Ultimo was the Millie just for reference sake.

I chose a few disc to conduct the review. Micheal Jacksons Thiller, 3 Disc from Steve Head, and to see if this thing would just flat out pound Busta Rhymes Genesis cd.

The Morel was first since it was already in the car. like I said I love this sub so I went in a bit bias to it. It has great control. It seems to shine in the 50-80hz area. I did not play it higher than that. It has some peakiness in the 50 below range. It is fast, accurate, at low to moderate volumes. The out put is decent at those levels as well not great but very very good. At high volumes it got a little loose not much but enough that i would notice. This sub works great on all types of music.

Now with the love for my Ultimo being so high I was a bit skeptical about how this Dyn was gonna do. Lets face it the MSRP on this sub is very very high imo. With that being said I was ready for a let down because in life that is always how it happens. Lets say that the Ultimo is a prize fighter, maybe Mike Tyson in his prime. Then the Dyn is Muhammad Ali. Stirs up a bunch of hype before the fight and then proves it in the ring.

I think I had an orgasim right there in the car. This sub performs so flawlessly and with out effort it is scary. The bass responce is spot on and linear. Like the Morel it is nothing short of perfect in the 50-80hz range but 50 and down it is in a league of its own. There were no peaks in the response in those freq. At least not to my ears. The output is greater than the Morel's. The tale of the tape was when I put the Busta in. The Morel shook stuff in the house a few pics on the wall and what not. The Dyn knocked them off the wall. I kept them at the same volume to keep things honest.

I am going to try to get access to a RCA and term lab to verifiy what my ears was hearing and my butt was feeling.
IMHO the Dyn is a sub to be recon with. It out performed my Ultimo and spanked the shit out of my Millie. I would be interested to see how it compares to the Peerless and Seas since I know that conversation will come up. If someone wants to send me one I would be glad to do the comparison. But for the moment, the sub totally surpassed my expectations. Ok thats all for now gotta go listen for a few more hours.

2012 Armada
HU: Ipad mini, Amps: Brax, Speakers: Dyn Esotar2 Sub: Dyn Esaotar 1200, Processor: Zapco DSP Z8
jayhawkblk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-29-2008   #2
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 156 Kenny_Cox will become famous soon enoughKenny_Cox will become famous soon enoughKenny_Cox will become famous soon enoughKenny_Cox will become famous soon enoughKenny_Cox will become famous soon enoughKenny_Cox will become famous soon enough

Default Re: Dyn Audio Esotar2 1200

Shit, I didnt know you got one of these too! Good god lol. I am glad you like it, now Don needs to hurry up and get his installed, so that I can have my UL12!

2012 F-150 Supercrew FX4 ecoboost
Kenwood ddx-393 - PHD Af6.3 - PHD 4075 - Helix Esprit 10s - PHD 11000
Kenny_Cox is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-29-2008   #3

Tends to get irritable

12V Company:
Unexpected Creations/ eXquisite Marketing
Position:
Owner/Installer/Rep/Lead Janitor

Rep Power: 5000 6spdcoupe has a reputation beyond repute6spdcoupe has a reputation beyond repute6spdcoupe has a reputation beyond repute6spdcoupe has a reputation beyond repute6spdcoupe has a reputation beyond repute6spdcoupe has a reputation beyond repute6spdcoupe has a reputation beyond repute6spdcoupe has a reputation beyond repute6spdcoupe has a reputation beyond repute6spdcoupe has a reputation beyond repute6spdcoupe has a reputation beyond repute

Send a message via AIM to 6spdcoupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny_Cox View Post
Shit, I didnt know you got one of these too! Good god lol. I am glad you like it, now Don needs to hurry up and get his installed, so that I can have my UL12!
He didnt get one. He got two !

Yea, yea Im workin on it.

Helix DSP PRO
Dual Brax MX4s
Dyn Esotar ~430s~110s
Micro-Precision 7.16 MKIII
Dual Focal 33KX IB
6spdcoupe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2008   #4
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 156 Kenny_Cox will become famous soon enoughKenny_Cox will become famous soon enoughKenny_Cox will become famous soon enoughKenny_Cox will become famous soon enoughKenny_Cox will become famous soon enoughKenny_Cox will become famous soon enough

Two of them?! I thought you said there were only a couple of them, holy crap you are a madman!

2012 F-150 Supercrew FX4 ecoboost
Kenwood ddx-393 - PHD Af6.3 - PHD 4075 - Helix Esprit 10s - PHD 11000
Kenny_Cox is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-29-2008   #5
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 155 jayhawkblk will become famous soon enoughjayhawkblk will become famous soon enoughjayhawkblk will become famous soon enoughjayhawkblk will become famous soon enoughjayhawkblk will become famous soon enoughjayhawkblk will become famous soon enough

yes I am a mad man. muhahahahahahahahha

2012 Armada
HU: Ipad mini, Amps: Brax, Speakers: Dyn Esotar2 Sub: Dyn Esaotar 1200, Processor: Zapco DSP Z8
Old 04-30-2008   #6
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 0 cetla will become famous soon enoughcetla will become famous soon enoughcetla will become famous soon enoughcetla will become famous soon enoughcetla will become famous soon enoughcetla will become famous soon enough

Looks like esotar2 1200 has set a new benchmark , hopefully the rest of line up will live up to the expectation.

cheers
cetla is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-30-2008   #7
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 146 Autophile will become famous soon enoughAutophile will become famous soon enoughAutophile will become famous soon enoughAutophile will become famous soon enoughAutophile will become famous soon enoughAutophile will become famous soon enough

Send a message via MSN to Autophile

Good review. Once again Dynaudio sets the benchmark. This time in subwoofers which was a long overdue.

Rainbow - Genesis - TRU Technology - Image Dynamics - Dynaudio - SEAS
Autophile is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-30-2008   #8
DIYMA 500 Club

Yes they did set the benchmark IMO. They are a unique company. They spend a long time and I mean a Long time doing R&D. If you look they are probably one of only the speaker company that does not put out a new driver every year or every other year. They dont just take there home drivers and put them in a box labeled for car use. They are designed specificly for the car. I have never been happier with a set of drivers. I dont care what they cost. The proof is in the listening.

I got them installed in the Bimmer last night! Wow all I got to say is Wow!!! Those things are so fast it is crazy. It made it sound like my subs were on my dash with the rest of my sound stage. this in a trunk car. I am only sad that I only have 2 of these. I need another one for my xB

2012 Armada
Old 05-09-2008   #9
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 177 Dangerranger is just really niceDangerranger is just really niceDangerranger is just really niceDangerranger is just really niceDangerranger is just really niceDangerranger is just really niceDangerranger is just really niceDangerranger is just really niceDangerranger is just really niceDangerranger is just really niceDangerranger is just really nice

Glad to see Dyn making improvements in the lineup finally, I'd gotten pretty disappointed in them for a while cuz the market just kind of walked away from them. They improved the things they needed to, giving more linear excursion and enlarging the spider on the midbasses, they really needed the extra control there(3" coil the spider is obviously going to be smaller and necessitate a very precise suspension).

I'd love to see some objective testing on these and see how they compare to subs like the XXLS, JL W6v2, etc.
Dangerranger is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-11-2008   #10
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 391 captainobvious has a reputation beyond reputecaptainobvious has a reputation beyond reputecaptainobvious has a reputation beyond reputecaptainobvious has a reputation beyond reputecaptainobvious has a reputation beyond reputecaptainobvious has a reputation beyond reputecaptainobvious has a reputation beyond reputecaptainobvious has a reputation beyond reputecaptainobvious has a reputation beyond reputecaptainobvious has a reputation beyond reputecaptainobvious has a reputation beyond repute

Im also interested to see how they stack up against some of the betters of the industry. I'd like to see them up against an IDMAX, and a W6v2 as well.

Whats the msrp on these things anyway?
Good looking numbers I see though...Nice to hear that they add up to great sound as well.

------------------------------------------------------
2018 Iasca ProAm Champion
2018 Meca Extreme 2nd Place

2018 Mike Baylor Sportsmanship Award
captainobvious is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-11-2008   #11
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 218 Mooble has a reputation beyond reputeMooble has a reputation beyond reputeMooble has a reputation beyond reputeMooble has a reputation beyond reputeMooble has a reputation beyond reputeMooble has a reputation beyond reputeMooble has a reputation beyond reputeMooble has a reputation beyond reputeMooble has a reputation beyond reputeMooble has a reputation beyond reputeMooble has a reputation beyond repute

You must have golden ears. I can rarely tell the difference between any sub, other than output. Maybe I should buy some uber-cheap Visonik to see if I can hear a difference. Tweeters and mids, yes, but subs all sound pretty much the same to me.

Pioneer 880PRS, Tru SSLD6, Morel Supremo Piccolo, Hertz ML 1600, Morel 12" Ultimo, Tru Copper C7.4, Clarion DPX11551
Mooble is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-11-2008   #12
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 391 captainobvious has a reputation beyond reputecaptainobvious has a reputation beyond reputecaptainobvious has a reputation beyond reputecaptainobvious has a reputation beyond reputecaptainobvious has a reputation beyond reputecaptainobvious has a reputation beyond reputecaptainobvious has a reputation beyond reputecaptainobvious has a reputation beyond reputecaptainobvious has a reputation beyond reputecaptainobvious has a reputation beyond reputecaptainobvious has a reputation beyond repute

Its easier to tell if you know what to listen for. I dont have by any means the best ears, but I can hear differences. Especially with fast kick drum beats where the sub has to move quickly and accurately, it easy to tell when a sub cant keep up. Also with test tones, you can find what frequencies the sub peaks/drops out at.

------------------------------------------------------
2018 Iasca ProAm Champion
2018 Meca Extreme 2nd Place

2018 Mike Baylor Sportsmanship Award
captainobvious is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-11-2008   #13
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 177 Dangerranger is just really niceDangerranger is just really niceDangerranger is just really niceDangerranger is just really niceDangerranger is just really niceDangerranger is just really niceDangerranger is just really niceDangerranger is just really niceDangerranger is just really niceDangerranger is just really niceDangerranger is just really nice

^x2. It isn't a "golden ear" thing, anyone without permanent hearing damage hears the same thing.

Say some guy's car has a ticking noise, and he knows nothing about cars, he hears the ticking just the same as anyone else, but an experienced mechanic can listen and from his experience tell you exactly where it originates, what is causing it, and what needs to be done to fix it. Same goes for audio, people aren't just born with it.
Dangerranger is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-12-2008   #14
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 218 Mooble has a reputation beyond reputeMooble has a reputation beyond reputeMooble has a reputation beyond reputeMooble has a reputation beyond reputeMooble has a reputation beyond reputeMooble has a reputation beyond reputeMooble has a reputation beyond reputeMooble has a reputation beyond reputeMooble has a reputation beyond reputeMooble has a reputation beyond reputeMooble has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainobvious View Post
Its easier to tell if you know what to listen for. I dont have by any means the best ears, but I can hear differences. Especially with fast kick drum beats where the sub has to move quickly and accurately, it easy to tell when a sub cant keep up. Also with test tones, you can find what frequencies the sub peaks/drops out at.
I guess I've never heard a "bad" sub other than OEM subs so I have no frame of reference. The subs I've owned are a/d/s/ 310rs.2, DLS Ultimate 10, Soundstream Exact 10, and a/d/s/ 310px. Only the DLS seemed to sound any different to me and just barely. I'd be very hard pressed to tell any difference between the a/d/s/ and the Soundstream, but all of them are highly regarded SQ subs so maybe that's a good thing. I guess I need to buy a really crappy sub just for kicks to see how bad things can sound.

Pioneer 880PRS, Tru SSLD6, Morel Supremo Piccolo, Hertz ML 1600, Morel 12" Ultimo, Tru Copper C7.4, Clarion DPX11551
Mooble is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-18-2008   #15
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 141 MrDave will become famous soon enoughMrDave will become famous soon enoughMrDave will become famous soon enoughMrDave will become famous soon enoughMrDave will become famous soon enoughMrDave will become famous soon enough

I'm interested.
MrDave is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-20-2008   #16

Tends to get irritable

12V Company:
Unexpected Creations/ eXquisite Marketing
Position:
Owner/Installer/Rep/Lead Janitor

Rep Power: 5000 6spdcoupe has a reputation beyond repute6spdcoupe has a reputation beyond repute6spdcoupe has a reputation beyond repute6spdcoupe has a reputation beyond repute6spdcoupe has a reputation beyond repute6spdcoupe has a reputation beyond repute6spdcoupe has a reputation beyond repute6spdcoupe has a reputation beyond repute6spdcoupe has a reputation beyond repute6spdcoupe has a reputation beyond repute6spdcoupe has a reputation beyond repute

Send a message via AIM to 6spdcoupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDave View Post
I'm interested.
Indeed you are Dave.

Helix DSP PRO
Dual Brax MX4s
Dyn Esotar ~430s~110s
Micro-Precision 7.16 MKIII
Dual Focal 33KX IB
6spdcoupe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-23-2008   #17
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 141 MrDave will become famous soon enoughMrDave will become famous soon enoughMrDave will become famous soon enoughMrDave will become famous soon enoughMrDave will become famous soon enoughMrDave will become famous soon enough

And waiting....eagerly
MrDave is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-05-2008   #18
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 170 CAMSHAFT will become famous soon enoughCAMSHAFT will become famous soon enoughCAMSHAFT will become famous soon enoughCAMSHAFT will become famous soon enoughCAMSHAFT will become famous soon enoughCAMSHAFT will become famous soon enough

Send a message via AIM to CAMSHAFT

More droolage.... Dynaudio website updated.

http://www.dynaudio.com/eng/auto/esotar/esotar1200.php

http://www.teamaudionutz.com/crew/5/Cameron_Wilkinson
Team ----> Arc Audio, Dynamat, Select Products, Batcap, IXOS, Mothers
CAMSHAFT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-05-2008   #19
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 149 BLD MOVS will become famous soon enoughBLD MOVS will become famous soon enoughBLD MOVS will become famous soon enoughBLD MOVS will become famous soon enoughBLD MOVS will become famous soon enoughBLD MOVS will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAMSHAFT View Post
More droolage.... Dynaudio website updated.

http://www.dynaudio.com/eng/auto/esotar/esotar1200.php
Thanks CAMSHAFT, I've been checking their site often trying to wait patiently.

[CENTER]2007 Shelby GT #0651 door panel removal
Alpine IDA-X001, Android!, Cadence CWM-6, Tweaker pads,
iDMax10D4V.3, Cadence iA4 & iA7
BLD MOVS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-05-2008   #20
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 170 CAMSHAFT will become famous soon enoughCAMSHAFT will become famous soon enoughCAMSHAFT will become famous soon enoughCAMSHAFT will become famous soon enoughCAMSHAFT will become famous soon enoughCAMSHAFT will become famous soon enough

No problem....

Old 07-28-2008   #21
DIYMA 500 Club

Break in was finished long ago....how are they doing?

Old 08-01-2008   #22
DIYMA 500 Club

bump

Old 02-01-2019   #23

Rep Power: 25 LexusLover will become famous soon enoughLexusLover will become famous soon enoughLexusLover will become famous soon enoughLexusLover will become famous soon enoughLexusLover will become famous soon enoughLexusLover will become famous soon enough

I know this thread is over a decade old but these subs and the ones comparable to them are still produced. I would like to know if anyone has anything new to contribute. I'm in the market for subwoofers right now(and a front stage and a DSP and some amps and also a new car) and had my eye on a couple W7's, but these dynaudio's are really calling my name. I am going for great SQ but love to jam out at higher volume levels. Any input/advice would be much appreciated.
LexusLover is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-01-2019   #24
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 160 foreman will become famous soon enoughforeman will become famous soon enoughforeman will become famous soon enoughforeman will become famous soon enoughforeman will become famous soon enoughforeman will become famous soon enough

There are several good subs of that caliber out now. Look at FI, the w7 is also a good choice in the right enclosure, audio development, and some newer stereo integrity offerings. You can buy new subscribers for the price of an esoteric 1200 used. My $.02

Deck-DEX-P99Rs, Amp-Arc xdi v2 1200.6
Dash-Xtant XIS 2.4
Doors-Scan Rev's, sub SI Mag 4....
foreman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-01-2019   #25

Rep Power: 25 LexusLover will become famous soon enoughLexusLover will become famous soon enoughLexusLover will become famous soon enoughLexusLover will become famous soon enoughLexusLover will become famous soon enoughLexusLover will become famous soon enough

I also saw people talking about the esotar2 running really good in IB setup. Which is something I would like to try. Please correct me if I am wrong but I don't think the W7 is any good at running IB? What about the Fi? Also is 12 inch even the right direction for IB? Or should I be looking at a 15 or 18 inch?
LexusLover is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement