My thoughts of the Zapco ST-X5ii - Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-02-2018   #1
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

12V Company:
Complacent Audio
Position:
Incoherent rambler

Rep Power: 300 Hillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond repute

Default My thoughts of the Zapco ST-X5ii

I recently sold my Arc xdi1200.6 and replaced it with the Zapco ST-5x. Before anyone asks, I got rid of the Arc because the fan was pretty audible in shared cabin space. Just knowing that it was audible even when I couldn't hear it over the road noise and music was enough to drive me nuts. The new owner will be putting it in his tire well just like I had it for a few months and never heard it in there. But since it replaced a very well liked 6ch I'll do a comparison. First I'll hash out the meat and potatoes. The manual says it does 80x4 at 4 ohms and 350x1 at 2 ohms on the sub channel. All channels are class a/b including sub channel. Zapco's website states slightly different power ratings so someone I know at Attrend will be taking my very valid question about power specs straight to the horse's mouth. In real world I don't think it's a big deal.

The amp is built like a tank with good connections. It puts out good power and plenty for the front stage and sub in my siggy. In a direct swap I believe it sounds more transparent than the xdi even though the xdi put out a TON of power and seemed to be a little more dynamic. For an amp that goes for around $300 at full retail I don't think you can go wrong. If people that are used to high dollar a/b amps are saying these amps are the real deal they're worth a hard look. Noise floor is also lower with the Zapco. I'm putting serious thought into getting the 4ch that does 150ish x2 bridged to add a little more heat to my doors and running rears, tweets, and sub with the 5ch. Other than that I think my system will be "done" once I put the little 4ch in. Not sure who I'm trying to fool by saying "done" but I can only hope, lol.

'16 single cab Ram Tradesman ST with HEMI...Pioneer avh-501ex...Helix dsp.2...Helix G-Five...Zapco ST-4X SQ...LPG 26na...Audiofrog gb25...Scanspeak Discovery 7"...IDQ12v4d4...Staying humble will keep you from looking like a giant douche.
Hillbilly SQ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to Hillbilly SQ For This Useful Post:
fish (01-14-2018)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-05-2018   #2
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 97 HeyWaj10 will become famous soon enoughHeyWaj10 will become famous soon enoughHeyWaj10 will become famous soon enoughHeyWaj10 will become famous soon enoughHeyWaj10 will become famous soon enoughHeyWaj10 will become famous soon enough

Default Re: My thoughts of the Zapco ST-X5ii

I'm eyeing this amp if I can manage to sell my KS300.4 so I can have 5 channels in a single chassis. Any latest thoughts/feelings on the Zapco? Does it have any issues running hot?

2012 Ford F150 XLT SuperCrew: Pioneer DEH-80PRS > KnuKonceptz Krystal Kable RCAs > Arc Audio KS300.4 > Hybrid Audio Imagine I61-2V2 > Image Dynamics ID10v4d2
HeyWaj10 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-05-2018   #3

Rep Power: 30 Patriot83 will become famous soon enoughPatriot83 will become famous soon enoughPatriot83 will become famous soon enoughPatriot83 will become famous soon enoughPatriot83 will become famous soon enoughPatriot83 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hillbilly SQ View Post
I recently sold my Arc xdi1200.6 and replaced it with the Zapco ST-5x. Before anyone asks, I got rid of the Arc because the fan was pretty audible in shared cabin space. Just knowing that it was audible even when I couldn't hear it over the road noise and music was enough to drive me nuts. The new owner will be putting it in his tire well just like I had it for a few months and never heard it in there. But since it replaced a very well liked 6ch I'll do a comparison. First I'll hash out the meat and potatoes. The manual says it does 80x4 at 4 ohms and 350x1 at 2 ohms on the sub channel. All channels are class a/b including sub channel. Zapco's website states slightly different power ratings so someone I know at Attrend will be taking my very valid question about power specs straight to the horse's mouth. In real world I don't think it's a big deal.

The amp is built like a tank with good connections. It puts out good power and plenty for the front stage and sub in my siggy. In a direct swap I believe it sounds more transparent than the xdi even though the xdi put out a TON of power and seemed to be a little more dynamic. For an amp that goes for around $300 at full retail I don't think you can go wrong. If people that are used to high dollar a/b amps are saying these amps are the real deal they're worth a hard look. Noise floor is also lower with the Zapco. I'm putting serious thought into getting the 4ch that does 150ish x2 bridged to add a little more heat to my doors and running rears, tweets, and sub with the 5ch. Other than that I think my system will be "done" once I put the little 4ch in. Not sure who I'm trying to fool by saying "done" but I can only hope, lol.

So do you think the 5X ii doesn't have quite enough power? I've been considering this amp too. Have always wanted a zapco but now the pdx-v9's are down to $429.
Patriot83 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2018   #4

Rep Power: 43 jijivs will become famous soon enoughjijivs will become famous soon enoughjijivs will become famous soon enoughjijivs will become famous soon enoughjijivs will become famous soon enoughjijivs will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyWaj10 View Post
I'm eyeing this amp if I can manage to sell my KS300.4 so I can have 5 channels in a single chassis. Any latest thoughts/feelings on the Zapco? Does it have any issues running hot?
I'm using the amp for almost 16 months now. No issues till date. It's placed under seat in my car, JFYI.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk
jijivs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-16-2018   #5
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

12V Company:
Complacent Audio
Position:
Incoherent rambler

Rep Power: 300 Hillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond repute

Just saw this. For my needs it has plenty of power. It's never overheated but only been installed since Christmas Eve. Black SUV in Arkansas will tell the story this Summer. Don't think I've ever gone back there and put my hand on it after it's run a while. I'm still happy with it. Something about the way it amplifies the signal just gives the music more depth. Guess it's just a more pure sounding amp. Don't need processed rears anymore if that tells you anything. For the full retail of $299 I don't think this 5ch can be beat if you can find a place for it. I didn't pay retail, but never pay retail unless I'm buying a specialty item off Crutchfield.

'16 single cab Ram Tradesman ST with HEMI...Pioneer avh-501ex...Helix dsp.2...Helix G-Five...Zapco ST-4X SQ...LPG 26na...Audiofrog gb25...Scanspeak Discovery 7"...IDQ12v4d4...Staying humble will keep you from looking like a giant douche.
Hillbilly SQ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement