New Zapco Z-AP 150.4 Amplifier - Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-04-2018   #1
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 170 lostthumb will become famous soon enoughlostthumb will become famous soon enoughlostthumb will become famous soon enoughlostthumb will become famous soon enoughlostthumb will become famous soon enoughlostthumb will become famous soon enoughlostthumb will become famous soon enough

Default New Zapco Z-AP 150.4 Amplifier

Lets get the pictures out first.

[IMG]Untitled by tam.rmc, on Flickr[/IMG]

My humble thoughts on the New Zapco Z-AP amplifier. Itís a little long.
I was very happy to have made the trip to CES 2018. The unveiling of the new Zapco products was awesome to see and touch. After the show, I had to ask John Borges if there was any chance that I could get a Z-AP to demo since I have a Z150.6 LX sitting in my office. A few days, John notifies me that he has one ready to ship to me. Anxiously waiting, the amp didnít show up when expected. Three days went by and I messaged John to tell him I have not seen it. After two more days, USPS finally delivered.
The Z-AP 150.4 is a beautiful amplifier. This unit is serial number 1! The nice anodized black chassis is understated but pops with the Copper top piece. The top piece looks as if it can be flipped around for ease of installation. Fit and finish is great. The screw holes for the bottom cover seemed to be a bit too large for the screws. Unscrewing them took some effort. Another area that I would like to see improved on is at the terminals. The terminals have a clear plastic that protects the terminals. I believe having them black would cover up any machining marks that might be present on the terminals. The RCA terminals are nicely machined and the gold plating looks excellent. I know this might be weird, but the feeling of the gain adjustments feels very good with the heavy amount of drag.
The board layout looks very nice. Although, I must confess, I donít know 80% of what I am looking at. I can see where power and audio enters the amp and where it spits it back out. I do see Wima capacitors, which are not normally seen in car audio amplifiers. I see the op amps and they do look like they are swappable. Reading the part number on the op amps is tough. My optometrist keeps telling me that I need bifocals, but I am not emotionally ready for them. My iPhone shows that they are LME49723. Meeting with Vinchenzo (Owner of Zapco), he stated that the LX was a good design for itís age. As time passes, his group keeps pushing for performance improvements in their designs.
For the listening test, I decided to compare the Z-AP amp to the Z-LX amp. The reason for this is because I have the amp handy. I decided not to compare other brands for reasons of people being hurt by my opinions. I do believe in synergy of equipment choices to get the optimum sounds. Some amps do sound better with certain speakers and vice versa. Snake oil can help at times too. Lol!
The Setup
The setup I have is quite simple. My source unit is a Sound Monitor DTA-500X and cd changer combo. Itís quite a nice clean signal and very musical. All equalizer, crossover, and time alignment functions are off. The gains on both amps are matched. Signal cables are a set of vintage Belden 8402 outfitted with Switchcraft 3502 RCA ends. These are some of my favorite sounding RCA combinations. They are a musical set of cables. Speaker cables are 16 gauge silver plated copper with PTFE jacket. Quick disconnects are used for speaker wires. Supply comes from a 45 watt Cascade power supply. Power and ground wires are 8 gauge Monster Cable. Speakers used in this setup are a set of Dennis Murphyís design called the CAOW1. These are one of my favorites. I built these many years ago using some pretty nice Sonicap capacitors, air core inductors, mills resistors, and solid core internal wiring. The drivers are Seas CA15 woofers and the infamous Hiquphon OW1 tweeters. Listening position is near field. The music used is a disc from Chris Pateís Aggieland event from 2016 and the Red River Shootout disc. This combination does well for me. It gives me a chance to listen to the ampsí sound differences without car acoustics in the way. The changeover time is about 25 seconds.
So how does it sound???
Quite astonishing! Amazing sounding amplifier. Slap me silly, itís that good.
Please remember, I donít have a technical ear as I am still learning as time passes. But I know what I like.
I am very sorry to say, that the Z-LX amplifiers cannot hold a candle to these.
The Z-AP sounds better in everyway. I was expecting for the Z-AP and the Z-LX to sound somewhat similar but this is not the case. I wished I still had the Z-SP amplifier but it has sold.
Right off the bat, I was in awe of the Z-APís resolution and dynamics. Stage is substantially wider and deeper. The layers in the music are well defined and the sense of space is delightful. Extension and level of detail is excellent on both ends of the spectrum without any sense of anything sounding artificial or exaggerated. Itís a smooth sounding amp. Well balanced.
This is the best my speakers have ever sounded. I have used many amps, both car and home, and by far I love the Z-AP. I had a friend of mine come by to have a listen. His thoughts on the amp comparisons are pretty much the same as mine.
Please take this as my opinion on this. The LX amp is nice but I prefer the Z-AP. I believe the price will be about a 20 percent premium over current LX pricing which I do feel as it still being a good value for the performance.
lostthumb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to lostthumb For This Useful Post:
dsw1204 (02-05-2018), lowcel (02-07-2018), manish (02-08-2018), Niebur3 (02-04-2018), rton20s (02-07-2018), SkizeR (02-04-2018)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-04-2018   #2

Rep Power: 26 TerryGreen5986 will become famous soon enoughTerryGreen5986 will become famous soon enoughTerryGreen5986 will become famous soon enoughTerryGreen5986 will become famous soon enoughTerryGreen5986 will become famous soon enoughTerryGreen5986 will become famous soon enough

Thanks for this. Have been trying to decide if I was gonna do LX or these. Think u just made my mind up for me!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
TerryGreen5986 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to TerryGreen5986 For This Useful Post:
RVA_LVER (02-05-2018)
Old 02-04-2018   #3
Upgrade Your Membership!

Prisoner

12V Company:
Apicella Auto Sound
Position:
Janitor

Thanked 1,487 Times in 1,038 Posts
Rep Power: 437 SkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond repute

Default Re: New Zapco Z-AP 150.4 Amplifier

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerryGreen5986 View Post
Thanks for this. Have been trying to decide if I was gonna do LX or these. Think u just made my mind up for me!

i think zapco made up your mind for you, as the LX isnt going to be produced anymore as far as i remember a part of a particular conversation

SkizeR is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2018   #4

Rep Power: 26 TerryGreen5986 will become famous soon enoughTerryGreen5986 will become famous soon enoughTerryGreen5986 will become famous soon enoughTerryGreen5986 will become famous soon enoughTerryGreen5986 will become famous soon enoughTerryGreen5986 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkizeR View Post
i think zapco made up your mind for you, as the LX isnt going to be produced anymore as far as i remember a part of a particular conversation

Lol was gonna pick up a used one. Theyíre popping up for sale like hot cakes as of late

Old 02-04-2018   #5

Banned

Rep Power: 0 SnakeOil will become famous soon enoughSnakeOil will become famous soon enoughSnakeOil will become famous soon enoughSnakeOil will become famous soon enoughSnakeOil will become famous soon enoughSnakeOil will become famous soon enough

Nice finish.
Korean built? Looks it
SnakeOil is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-04-2018   #6
Upgrade Your Membership!

Rep Power: 162 casey will become famous soon enoughcasey will become famous soon enoughcasey will become famous soon enoughcasey will become famous soon enoughcasey will become famous soon enoughcasey will become famous soon enough

Such a good looking amp! S/N is pretty damn high. Thanks for the comparison. I keep going back and looking at these. Already have some ST-X (non sq variants) for my Midbass and widebands but dammit I want one of these

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnakeOil View Post
Nice finish.
Korean built? Looks it
pretty sure its Chinese IIRC. The president(or CEO?) cant remember moved to within 30 min of the build house as well to make sure quality is maintained on their products

I love to overthink things.
casey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-05-2018   #7
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 206 Babs is a jewel in the roughBabs is a jewel in the roughBabs is a jewel in the roughBabs is a jewel in the roughBabs is a jewel in the roughBabs is a jewel in the roughBabs is a jewel in the roughBabs is a jewel in the roughBabs is a jewel in the roughBabs is a jewel in the roughBabs is a jewel in the rough

Some really interesting products coming from Zapco now. Has certainly hit my radar. Thanks for the write up.

So I get the impression from top down in terms of SQ it would be:

Z-xAP

Z-xLX

ST-204D SQ which Iíd love compared to the LX. Big power, low battery draw efficiency appeals to me.

ST-xX SQ which is by no means a slouch.

Donít know where the other ST-xD line up falls in line with these. I know Linda has been doing quite well with those.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

2008 Civic Si Sedan - Fiio X5ii SPDIF, Phone USB HEC, Helix DSP Pro-2, Helix Director, JL XD1000/5v2 (2), Audiofrog GB10/GB25/GB60, Acoustic Elegance SBP12 (2)
Build Log
Babs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-05-2018   #8
Upgrade Your Membership!

Rep Power: 157 cmusic will become famous soon enoughcmusic will become famous soon enoughcmusic will become famous soon enoughcmusic will become famous soon enoughcmusic will become famous soon enoughcmusic will become famous soon enough

Were the amp gains set to the same level? On the LX minimum gain is 8 volts and on the AP it is 9 volts. An input voltage difference can make an audible difference.
cmusic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-05-2018   #9
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 104 Golden Ear will become famous soon enoughGolden Ear will become famous soon enoughGolden Ear will become famous soon enoughGolden Ear will become famous soon enoughGolden Ear will become famous soon enoughGolden Ear will become famous soon enough

Nice write-up, beautiful amp.

Golden Ear is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-05-2018   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babs View Post
Some really interesting products coming from Zapco now. Has certainly hit my radar. Thanks for the write up.

So I get the impression from top down in terms of SQ it would be:

Z-xAP

Z-xLX

ST-204D SQ which Iíd love compared to the LX. Big power, low battery draw efficiency appeals to me.

ST-xX SQ which is by no means a slouch.

Donít know where the other ST-xD line up falls in line with these. I know Linda has been doing quite well with those.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I forget who did the write up....but I saw a guy compare his SP to his LX...and he actually preferred the SP. So if he has any idea what heís talking about....then itís Z-AP...Z-SP....Z-LX

Old 02-05-2018   #11

Rep Power: 59 lowcel will become famous soon enoughlowcel will become famous soon enoughlowcel will become famous soon enoughlowcel will become famous soon enoughlowcel will become famous soon enoughlowcel will become famous soon enough

Quote:
I forget who did the write up....but I saw a guy compare his SP to his LX...and he actually preferred the SP. So if he has any idea what heís talking about....then itís Z-AP...Z-SP....Z-LX

I'm pretty sure Tam did that review as well.

This may be the thread you are referencing.

https://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/...r-testing.html

Team SSQ - Team Audio X - Team Audible Physics - Team Zapco

Last edited by lowcel; 02-05-2018 at 08:28 AM..
lowcel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-05-2018   #12
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 170 lostthumb will become famous soon enoughlostthumb will become famous soon enoughlostthumb will become famous soon enoughlostthumb will become famous soon enoughlostthumb will become famous soon enoughlostthumb will become famous soon enoughlostthumb will become famous soon enough

Quote:

Yes, for me itís

Z-AP
Z-SP
Z-LX
ST-204D-SQ (i only tested this against the ST-4X SQ)
ST-4X SQ

Oh, and I am not always sure I know what I am talking about. Lol!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lostthumb For This Useful Post:
lowcel (02-05-2018), TerryGreen5986 (02-05-2018)
Old 02-05-2018   #13

Banned

Rep Power: 0 SnakeOil will become famous soon enoughSnakeOil will become famous soon enoughSnakeOil will become famous soon enoughSnakeOil will become famous soon enoughSnakeOil will become famous soon enoughSnakeOil will become famous soon enough

Iím old school and itís been since the Rockford symmetry days since Iíve done a SQ setup and Iím sure itís different now.
How can the amp increase width and depth? If I remember right thatís a product of speaker placement.
Old 02-05-2018   #14
Upgrade Your Membership!

Rep Power: 157 cmusic will become famous soon enoughcmusic will become famous soon enoughcmusic will become famous soon enoughcmusic will become famous soon enoughcmusic will become famous soon enoughcmusic will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Iím old school and itís been since the Rockford symmetry days since Iíve done a SQ setup and Iím sure itís different now.
How can the amp increase width and depth? If I remember right thatís a product of speaker placement.
Speaker placement is the primary requirement for the soundstage, but some frequency adjustments in the 4-8Khz range as well as the amplitude between the left and right channels can affect the width and depth. That's why I asked above if the two amps had their gains matched. Even a very slight mis-adjustment between the two channels in one amp could have a very audible effect.
cmusic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-05-2018   #15
DIYMA 500 Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmusic View Post
Speaker placement is the primary requirement for the soundstage, but some frequency adjustments in the 4-8Khz range as well as the amplitude between the left and right channels can affect the width and depth. That's why I asked above if the two amps had their gains matched. Even a very slight mis-adjustment between the two channels in one amp could have a very audible effect.
The gains were matched on all channels.
Old 02-05-2018   #16
DIYMA 500 Club

Quote:
I am no expert but I think it has to do with the preamp section of the amplifiers. Components used like opamps and what not.

I have modded amps using different opamps and caps and they do alter the stage.
The Following User Says Thank You to lostthumb For This Useful Post:
RVA_LVER (11-10-2018)
Old 02-05-2018   #17
Upgrade Your Membership!

Prisoner

12V Company:
Apicella Auto Sound
Position:
Janitor

Thanked 1,487 Times in 1,038 Posts
Rep Power: 437 SkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Crosstalk

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

SkizeR is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-05-2018   #18

Banned

Cross talk. Channel separation. But it takes a very low budget amp to hear that. Maybe Iím just behind.
Old 02-06-2018   #19
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 148 rc10mike will become famous soon enoughrc10mike will become famous soon enoughrc10mike will become famous soon enoughrc10mike will become famous soon enoughrc10mike will become famous soon enoughrc10mike will become famous soon enough

Looked like a nice review, but stopped reading after "my favorite sounding RCA combinations"

You say at 70mph you cant hear a difference? Does this mean at 35 you can?
rc10mike is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-07-2018   #20

Rep Power: 59 lowcel will become famous soon enoughlowcel will become famous soon enoughlowcel will become famous soon enoughlowcel will become famous soon enoughlowcel will become famous soon enoughlowcel will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by rc10mike View Post
Looked like a nice review, but stopped reading after "my favorite sounding RCA combinations"
I felt the same way a year ago. Now, not so much. Your loss though, it's a good read.

Old 02-07-2018   #21

Rep Power: 40 RVA_LVER will become famous soon enoughRVA_LVER will become famous soon enoughRVA_LVER will become famous soon enoughRVA_LVER will become famous soon enoughRVA_LVER will become famous soon enoughRVA_LVER will become famous soon enough

Quote:

Same gentleman who wrote this said that.

RVA_LVER is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-07-2018   #22

Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowcel View Post
I felt the same way a year ago. Now, not so much. Your loss though, it's a good read.
Iím the other way around. I once thought they made a difference. I guess in todayís lingo I ďwokeĒ. Iíve worked on $100,000 HT setups, cables donít matter. The power supply did if it was older homes.
And these where not just equipment, the entire room was modified. If there was anyplace you would be able to hear differences it was there. Not one single time. Never.
Old 02-07-2018   #23

Quote:
Iím the other way around. I once thought they made a difference. I guess in todayís lingo I ďwokeĒ. Iíve worked on $100,000 HT setups, cables donít matter. The power supply did if it was older homes.
And these where not just equipment, the entire room was modified. If there was anyplace you would be able to hear differences it was there. Not one single time. Never.
I'm trying to win championships and eliminating the weakest links is how it's done. If I'm going to spend $15 - $20k on a system I'll spend a little extra to have nice cables.

If you get a chance check out Matt Hall's interconnect shoot out. It's a good read.

YMMV

Old 02-07-2018   #24

Banned

Yeah I read a few of his shoot outs when I was lurking here. More power to him. IMO itís redicules. You are in a car. The cable is far from the weakest link. You donít think these casino execs in Vegas didnít want the best? They just knew better. You donít stay rich by wasting money.
Old 02-07-2018   #25

Rep Power: 57 dsw1204 will become famous soon enoughdsw1204 will become famous soon enoughdsw1204 will become famous soon enoughdsw1204 will become famous soon enoughdsw1204 will become famous soon enoughdsw1204 will become famous soon enough

So, does anyone know what the price will be for the Z-AP line? Pricing is not on the Zapco website (as pricing never is) and, surprisingly enough, the Z-AP line is not even listed on the Atrend website.
dsw1204 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement