APL 1012 - 10ch FIR-based DSP - Review - Page 8 - Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-29-2018   #176
Upgrade Your Membership!

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 146 subterFUSE will become famous soon enoughsubterFUSE will become famous soon enoughsubterFUSE will become famous soon enoughsubterFUSE will become famous soon enoughsubterFUSE will become famous soon enoughsubterFUSE will become famous soon enoughsubterFUSE will become famous soon enough

Default Re: APL 1012 - 10ch FIR-based DSP - Review

Whoever tests it will need an Apple USB Camera Adapter.

2013 Audi S6 Quattro
2nd Place IASCA Pro/Am @ 2015 Finals
2nd Place MECA Modified @ 2015 Finals
1st Place MECA Modified @ 2016 SBN
subterFUSE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-29-2018   #177
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 127 LumbermanSVO will become famous soon enoughLumbermanSVO will become famous soon enoughLumbermanSVO will become famous soon enoughLumbermanSVO will become famous soon enoughLumbermanSVO will become famous soon enoughLumbermanSVO will become famous soon enoughLumbermanSVO will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by subterFUSE View Post
Whoever tests it will need an Apple USB Camera Adapter.
This is the part: https://www.apple.com/shop/product/M...camera-adapter

BTW, I use these, with USB to Ethernet dongles, to put iPads on a wired networks.

When the top comes off, the tops come off!
1986 Bronco Build
2010 Miata Build
LumbermanSVO is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to LumbermanSVO For This Useful Post:
captainobvious (10-03-2018), Holmz (09-29-2018)
Old 11-14-2018   #178
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 124 aholland1198 will become famous soon enoughaholland1198 will become famous soon enoughaholland1198 will become famous soon enoughaholland1198 will become famous soon enoughaholland1198 will become famous soon enoughaholland1198 will become famous soon enough

I have the adapter. I致e used it for my helix usb input for two or so years. Just need to k ow if it works on this dsp.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
aholland1198 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2018   #179

Rep Power: 61 Durgesh will become famous soon enoughDurgesh will become famous soon enoughDurgesh will become famous soon enoughDurgesh will become famous soon enoughDurgesh will become famous soon enoughDurgesh will become famous soon enough

Hi

Finally installed and tuned my 1012 which was purchased in April.

Extremely happy with the results. The sound is so much detailed now. Centre staging is almost perfect. Never heard such sound before. And this is just with basic tune and left-right TA by ear.....TA and crossover check between each way still to be learnt and done with Tda.

Thank you Hanatsu, LumbermanSVO , An.vamv and all others who have shared the setup procedure and guide.

And many thanks to Raimonds...the mastermind behind this unit.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Durgesh is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Durgesh For This Useful Post:
an.vamv (11-20-2018), LumbermanSVO (11-17-2018)
Old 11-17-2018   #180
Upgrade Your Membership!

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 146 subterFUSE will become famous soon enoughsubterFUSE will become famous soon enoughsubterFUSE will become famous soon enoughsubterFUSE will become famous soon enoughsubterFUSE will become famous soon enoughsubterFUSE will become famous soon enoughsubterFUSE will become famous soon enough

Does anyone have the APL1012 and is using a car audio head unit as their source, with analog inputs into the APL?

I知 considering the 1012 with a Sony RSX-GS9 as the source, running analog RCA from the Sony.

I知 curious about the input voltage range on the APL1012.

2013 Audi S6 Quattro
2nd Place IASCA Pro/Am @ 2015 Finals
2nd Place MECA Modified @ 2015 Finals
1st Place MECA Modified @ 2016 SBN
subterFUSE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-17-2018   #181
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 325 Hanatsu has a reputation beyond reputeHanatsu has a reputation beyond reputeHanatsu has a reputation beyond reputeHanatsu has a reputation beyond reputeHanatsu has a reputation beyond reputeHanatsu has a reputation beyond reputeHanatsu has a reputation beyond reputeHanatsu has a reputation beyond reputeHanatsu has a reputation beyond reputeHanatsu has a reputation beyond reputeHanatsu has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Does anyone have the APL1012 and is using a car audio head unit as their source, with analog inputs into the APL?

I知 considering the 1012 with a Sony RSX-GS9 as the source, running analog RCA from the Sony.

I currently use it with analog input from a P99. Never bothered to check the output levels so I run mine on 58/62 volume on my P99 for some small headroom, no distortion on the output of APL. Can't say exactly how far you can push it though. I would assume it handles a 4V input.

# In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act # (George Orwell)

- Active Build Thread - VW Passat 1.8T (2000) -
Hanatsu is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-20-2019   #182
Upgrade Your Membership!

Diyma Ninja

Rep Power: 278 thehatedguy has much to be proud ofthehatedguy has much to be proud ofthehatedguy has much to be proud ofthehatedguy has much to be proud ofthehatedguy has much to be proud ofthehatedguy has much to be proud ofthehatedguy has much to be proud ofthehatedguy has much to be proud ofthehatedguy has much to be proud ofthehatedguy has much to be proud ofthehatedguy has much to be proud of

Getting mine going too.

Need to check back and read this thread where I last left it.
thehatedguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-22-2019   #183

Rep Power: 87 crackinhedz will become famous soon enoughcrackinhedz will become famous soon enoughcrackinhedz will become famous soon enoughcrackinhedz will become famous soon enoughcrackinhedz will become famous soon enoughcrackinhedz will become famous soon enoughcrackinhedz will become famous soon enough

Waiting for warmer weather to install mine, still hoping someone makes a video tutorial of the process. Not that I couldn't fumble my way through, but helpful visual tips along the way by those more savy would help tremendously. I still have trouble figuring out TDA
crackinhedz is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-22-2019   #184
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 390 captainobvious has a reputation beyond reputecaptainobvious has a reputation beyond reputecaptainobvious has a reputation beyond reputecaptainobvious has a reputation beyond reputecaptainobvious has a reputation beyond reputecaptainobvious has a reputation beyond reputecaptainobvious has a reputation beyond reputecaptainobvious has a reputation beyond reputecaptainobvious has a reputation beyond reputecaptainobvious has a reputation beyond reputecaptainobvious has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by crackinhedz View Post
Waiting for warmer weather to install mine, still hoping someone makes a video tutorial of the process. Not that I couldn't fumble my way through, but helpful visual tips along the way by those more savy would help tremendously. I still have trouble figuring out TDA

It is significantly more advanced/difficult than using the APL1, which was already very difficult for many people. Just a forewarning

------------------------------------------------------
2018 Iasca ProAm Champion
2018 Meca Extreme 2nd Place

2018 Mike Baylor Sportsmanship Award
captainobvious is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to captainobvious For This Useful Post:
crackinhedz (01-22-2019)
Old 02-18-2019   #185
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 390 captainobvious has a reputation beyond reputecaptainobvious has a reputation beyond reputecaptainobvious has a reputation beyond reputecaptainobvious has a reputation beyond reputecaptainobvious has a reputation beyond reputecaptainobvious has a reputation beyond reputecaptainobvious has a reputation beyond reputecaptainobvious has a reputation beyond reputecaptainobvious has a reputation beyond reputecaptainobvious has a reputation beyond reputecaptainobvious has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by aholland1198 View Post
Someone want to do me a solid and see if the iPhone will work with the usb input?! Raimonds didn稚 know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raimonds View Post
Dear Friends, yes, please, let's test is iPhone working with HD USB input.
It works with W10, MAC OS version 10.6.4 and above,Linux with UAC2 compliant kernel.
But iPhone?

Sorry for the delay in response. The answer to this question is yes. You can connect an iPhone/iPad device with the camera connection kit part to extract digital signal sent over usb into the unit and play audio files with the player app on your device.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to captainobvious For This Useful Post:
bbfoto (02-18-2019), Holmz (02-18-2019), LumbermanSVO (02-18-2019), Raimonds (02-20-2019)
Old 02-27-2019   #186
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 285 hdrugs has a reputation beyond reputehdrugs has a reputation beyond reputehdrugs has a reputation beyond reputehdrugs has a reputation beyond reputehdrugs has a reputation beyond reputehdrugs has a reputation beyond reputehdrugs has a reputation beyond reputehdrugs has a reputation beyond reputehdrugs has a reputation beyond reputehdrugs has a reputation beyond reputehdrugs has a reputation beyond repute

Does it has 2nd order crossovers? Or only runs in 4th and 8th
hdrugs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-28-2019   #187
Upgrade Your Membership!

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 52 Holmz will become famous soon enoughHolmz will become famous soon enoughHolmz will become famous soon enoughHolmz will become famous soon enoughHolmz will become famous soon enoughHolmz will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdrugs View Post
I am pretty sure it runs FIR, so I am a bit confused with the 2nd order crossover question.
Holmz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-28-2019   #188
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 285 hdrugs has a reputation beyond reputehdrugs has a reputation beyond reputehdrugs has a reputation beyond reputehdrugs has a reputation beyond reputehdrugs has a reputation beyond reputehdrugs has a reputation beyond reputehdrugs has a reputation beyond reputehdrugs has a reputation beyond reputehdrugs has a reputation beyond reputehdrugs has a reputation beyond reputehdrugs has a reputation beyond repute

Ive never used fir filters

So they always go by 4th order?
hdrugs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-28-2019   #189
Upgrade Your Membership!

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 52 Holmz will become famous soon enoughHolmz will become famous soon enoughHolmz will become famous soon enoughHolmz will become famous soon enoughHolmz will become famous soon enoughHolmz will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Ive never used fir filters

So they always go by 4th order?
Better google FIR and IIR.
They are different beasts.

A large tap fir is more like a 20 or 100th order.

The phase of a FIR can be zero phase, which is more interesting than the steepness.
Old 02-28-2019   #190
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Quote:

No, the unit uses 4th order or 8th order crossovers only.

Old 02-28-2019   #191
Upgrade Your Membership!

http://*****aplaudio*****/

12V Company:
Acoustic Power Lab APL
Position:
chairman

Rep Power: 66 Raimonds will become famous soon enoughRaimonds will become famous soon enoughRaimonds will become famous soon enoughRaimonds will become famous soon enoughRaimonds will become famous soon enoughRaimonds will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Thanks for the question!
Filters can be any kind that you can image and create as the unit is FIR machine.
C5 program`s Crossover tab offers 4th and 8th order as mostly usable crossover filters.
But you can use Parametric EQ to create even 2nd order filters by use of respective HP and LP filters. Please find pictures attached!
You can create any kind of your custom curve by use of any tool you like that exports FIR filters in wave format files. But it will be not easy to manage all that.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2nd_orderCR.jpg (746.2 KB, 168 views)
File Type: jpg 2nd_orderCRc.jpg (727.9 KB, 168 views)

Raimonds is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-04-2019   #192
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Quote:

John-

The manual states -10dBV +4dBu for input.

There are 2 jumper positions on the PCB for input sensitivity to switch between these. There are also 2 other methods for adjusting in a different way. The volume potentiometer is inserted close to the input in the PCB design so it can act as a sort of input gain adjustment as well. Finally, you can adjust the "EQ Zero Level" on the actual individual workshop measurements to lower the gain as well. Although this last method is making the adjustment in software, not hardware- so if you were to put the APL1012 in "bypass" mode, that reduction in gain would not be there, causing you to have more volume in bypass mode vs enabled.

The Following User Says Thank You to captainobvious For This Useful Post:
bbfoto (03-04-2019)
Old 04-20-2019   #193

Rep Power: 36 sareea will become famous soon enoughsareea will become famous soon enoughsareea will become famous soon enoughsareea will become famous soon enoughsareea will become famous soon enoughsareea will become famous soon enough

I just went through this post.
Great info !
Really interesting
sareea is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-28-2019   #194

Enthusiast

12V Company:
FC -NCO-COL
Position:
MECP advanced certified,

Rep Power: 94 oabeieo will become famous soon enoughoabeieo will become famous soon enoughoabeieo will become famous soon enoughoabeieo will become famous soon enoughoabeieo will become famous soon enoughoabeieo will become famous soon enoughoabeieo will become famous soon enough

There goes another 3hrs of my life , I missed this completely
I can see this definitely does more than the opendrcda8
Which I知 about to purchase (maybe I need to rethink)

This might be good for what I want to do

Is this LPCM?

im so in love with my speakers I found a song I sing to them

https://youtu.be/VgU6LXY-AjI
oabeieo is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-28-2019   #195
Upgrade Your Membership!

Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by oabeieo View Post
There goes another 3hrs of my life , I missed this completely
I can see this definitely does more than the opendrcda8
Which I知 about to purchase (maybe I need to rethink)

This might be good for what I want to do

Is this LPCM?
It was a chin scratcher for me too.
One can, in theory, remove reflections with a FIR.
Old 04-28-2019   #196

Enthusiast

12V Company:
FC -NCO-COL
Position:
MECP advanced certified,

Rep Power: 94 oabeieo will become famous soon enoughoabeieo will become famous soon enoughoabeieo will become famous soon enoughoabeieo will become famous soon enoughoabeieo will become famous soon enoughoabeieo will become famous soon enoughoabeieo will become famous soon enough

Quote:
For rear fill, you need to mix the left and right inputs together into a mono signal, with one of the inputs polarity inverted.

So, Left + and Right - mixed to the left rear speaker.

Then, Right + and Left - going to the right rear speaker.

Doing this will phase cancel any of the center stage information from the audio signal, leaving only the far left and right stage sounds.

Then you will need a ton of delay. More than 30 ms is a good start.

I don稚 know if the APL 1012 is capable of doing a proper L-R, R-L mixed mono output?

Worst case, you can do this with a little miniDSP box for $200.

Isn稚 tjat the same as hooking up just the positives of a 2ch amp to a speaker?
Like echoing backgrounds, or is that what hanatsu is saying quadraphonic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanatsu View Post
Can always physically connect speakers in 70痴 fashion 拝uadrophonic mode. I致e done it without mono mixing before, I swapped channels and inverted one. Can稚 think of a good way of doing it on this DSP.

I知 going with the 敗ignal difference thing. Psuedo rear ambience or whatever it痴 called

Edit; (As spl said above, tapatalk keeps bugging can稚 see all posts...)

Old 04-28-2019   #197

Enthusiast

12V Company:
FC -NCO-COL
Position:
MECP advanced certified,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holmz View Post
It was a chin scratcher for me too.
One can, in theory, remove reflections with a FIR.
LPCM (basically fixed point) like the apl1

Floating is IEEE

Old 04-29-2019   #198
Upgrade Your Membership!

Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by oabeieo View Post
LPCM (basically fixed point) like the apl1

Floating is IEEE
"Chin scratcher" was referring to APL vs the others.
Old 04-29-2019   #199

Enthusiast

12V Company:
FC -NCO-COL
Position:
MECP advanced certified,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holmz View Post
"Chin scratcher" was referring to APL vs the others.

Yeah I was referring basically to this 10ch vs the apl1

Old 04-29-2019   #200
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

This 10 channel can be thought of as 5 APL1's in a single chassis pcb design with some additional (great) dsp features.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement