Comparing Audio Development w800neo & Illusion Audio C8 Physicals - Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-05-2018   #1
Upgrade Your Membership!

Rep Power: 93 nadams5755 will become famous soon enoughnadams5755 will become famous soon enoughnadams5755 will become famous soon enoughnadams5755 will become famous soon enoughnadams5755 will become famous soon enoughnadams5755 will become famous soon enough

Default Comparing Audio Development w800neo & Illusion Audio C8 Physicals

this is to physically compare two fairly popular shallow 8" midbasses.

c8 specs - http://illusionaudio-america.com/downloads/CarbonC8.pdf
w800neo specs - http://www.audio-development.eu/uplo...O_INGL_web.doc

you can see the c8's mounting flange is a bit larger than the w800neo.

laying the w800neo on top of the c8, you can see the outer diameter of the w800neo is smaller than the c8.

however, inside of the flange and outer part of the surround are about the same size, indicating the surrounds and cones are about the same size:

magnet structure of the c8 sticks out a bit, but the overall frame for both drivers have a similar shape. however the w800neo has the full magnet structure behind the cone.

offsetting the c8's magnet, they've both got a very similar depth, sans terminals.

the w800neo's terminals stick out quite a bit more than the c8's terminals. both can be replaced with bolts, nuts, and ring terminals to minimize depth.

nadams5755 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to nadams5755 For This Useful Post:
bbfoto (11-05-2018), rton20s (11-30-2018), Truthunter (11-05-2018)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-05-2018   #2
Upgrade Your Membership!

Rep Power: 38 mrichard89 will become famous soon enoughmrichard89 will become famous soon enoughmrichard89 will become famous soon enoughmrichard89 will become famous soon enoughmrichard89 will become famous soon enoughmrichard89 will become famous soon enough

Default Re: Comparing Audio Development w800neo & Illusion Audio C8 Physicals

I've heard both and they both sound great. I think the w800s can dig a bit deeper, but I'd be proud to use either.
mrichard89 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-05-2018   #3
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 65 Truthunter will become famous soon enoughTruthunter will become famous soon enoughTruthunter will become famous soon enoughTruthunter will become famous soon enoughTruthunter will become famous soon enoughTruthunter will become famous soon enoughTruthunter will become famous soon enough

Nice to see the dimensional differences between these two side by side. Thanks for posting.

"Many ideas grow better when transplanted into another mind than the one where they sprang up." - Oliver Wendell Holmes

2015 Camry Build Log
Truthunter is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to Truthunter For This Useful Post:
nadams5755 (11-05-2018)

Old 11-05-2018   #4

Bikinpunk

Thanked 1,032 Times in 484 Posts
Rep Power: 26016 ErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond repute

Send a message via AIM to ErinH

You know, when I owned the c10 the one thing that annoyed me about them was the size of the terminals. As you've shown with the c8 (and the AD 8"), the terminals mitigate the 'shallow' nature of the driver. I realize they can be replaced by the end user but it just makes me scratch my head and wonder "why". Why not find a shallower set of push-terminals or forgo them altogether? Just seems silly.

/rant

Time Delay Calculator:
http://tracerite.com/calc.html
ErinH is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ErinH For This Useful Post:
Bayboy (11-05-2018), bbfoto (11-05-2018), DavidRam (11-05-2018)
Old 11-05-2018   #5
Upgrade Your Membership!

Prisoner

12V Company:
Apicella Auto Sound
Position:
Janitor

Thanked 1,619 Times in 1,125 Posts
Rep Power: 442 SkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErinH View Post
You know, when I owned the c10 the one thing that annoyed me about them was the size of the terminals. As you've shown with the c8 (and the AD 8"), the terminals mitigate the 'shallow' nature of the driver. I realize they can be replaced by the end user but it just makes me scratch my head and wonder "why". Why not find a shallower set of push-terminals or forgo them altogether? Just seems silly.

/rant
I agree. But at the same time, every time I've used them I was always able to rotate the driver to put the terminals in a certain spot where they did have room. I'm assuming one of these days I'll be unscrewing the bottom half and soldering on leads.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

SkizeR is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-05-2018   #6
Upgrade Your Membership!

Rep Power: 93 nadams5755 will become famous soon enoughnadams5755 will become famous soon enoughnadams5755 will become famous soon enoughnadams5755 will become famous soon enoughnadams5755 will become famous soon enoughnadams5755 will become famous soon enough

JT rotated the c8 a little so terminals would clear. He didnít like that the logos would be crooked, so he taped over them.

Old 11-05-2018   #7
Upgrade Your Membership!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrichard89 View Post
I've heard both and they both sound great. I think the w800s can dig a bit deeper, but I'd be proud to use either.
they both sound really good. for me, the c8 dug deeper. the AD was more detailed (for example: well articulated timpani drum rolls) but couldn't get as loud as the c8 without breaking up.

otherwise they sounded mostly the same for me, more telling of the enclosure than the drivers. in my case? sealed kicks with lots of power.

The Following User Says Thank You to nadams5755 For This Useful Post:
bbfoto (11-05-2018)
Old 11-08-2018   #8

Rep Power: 0 Devilman will become famous soon enoughDevilman will become famous soon enoughDevilman will become famous soon enoughDevilman will become famous soon enoughDevilman will become famous soon enoughDevilman will become famous soon enough

Can the C8 be bought as a pair without the crossovers/tweeters? Sry if it's a dumb question, I'll be using an 8" midbass and am torn between the W800neo and C8 but have no use for the crossovers or tweeters in the C8 component set.
Devilman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-08-2018   #9
Upgrade Your Membership!

you'll be shopping for the c8w then (c8 woofer)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement