Kenwood Dmx905S 2.5/5 - Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-08-2019   #1

Rep Power: 0 Leland331 will become famous soon enoughLeland331 will become famous soon enoughLeland331 will become famous soon enoughLeland331 will become famous soon enoughLeland331 will become famous soon enoughLeland331 will become famous soon enough

Default Kenwood Dmx905S 2.5/5

Hey everyone.

I don't usually review equipment unless something really draws me towards the need to. This unit made me want to go out of my way to warn people of the things i ran into.

Leading up to purchase, I could have done more research. However i had good experience with previous Kenwood units and thought that I would see some improvements and added Carplay would be a bonus. Of course the Kenwood North American Rep just happened to be there when i walked in to purchase a unit. I played with the unit and asked the rep many technical questions. He came across as pretty knowledgeable, but couldn't answer a few of the in depth questions. He of course worded them as positive points for the unit regardless of it necessarily being true.

The pros of the unit:
This unit is not all bad by any means. The build quality, feel of the screen, the interface and the speed are all top notch and better than most comparable models. It is stable and snappy to use, and easy enough to configure. Audio Sounds decent (very low measurable distortion), Carplay works like a dream, It also includes a satisfactory implementation of Android Auto, Maestro has some great modules that also play well with this head unit. Really a not bad buy to the average or even slightly advanced user, right?

Well here are the kickers, a lot of them.
You can not bypass the internal audio processing!!! Even zeroed out, there is some phase shift, coloration, and tweaking happening. What were they thinking when they took away the option to actually bypass the Dsp in their units like you once were able to do.

No digital output. now I realize that it is a minimal point to make, and i won't go too in depth here. The lack of digital output would be acceptable if there was a Dsp bypass option, or a dsp that didn't colour the audio so much. Not having either makes me write this off as a non audiophile unit. It has near became a bottleneck in my system. When I brought concern to the rep, his standpoint was that I would be best served using the internal dsp over an external unit with far more capability. I think that point was a little bit (a lot) wrong, as we know the benefits of a real Dsp controlled active system.

The only way to stream audio from Youtube is through an app on Kenwood's Weblink system. It is useless because 85% of videos are blocked.

Android auto works, But the audio over usb is not good. I had a lot of compression with any settings, and any music app.

No more usb hub support. My older units worked with powered usb hubs. I needed this, as i leave an iphone in my vehicle always to run Carplay (main device is Android, and android auto sounds bad). We have cold winters and this trashes the batteries in devices. I would use a powered hub to keep the iphone charged when the vehicle is off, so i could avoid the 30 minute wait for the head units slow charge rate to boot the phone. Now i get greeted by a "usb hub not supported" error. Huge pain.

No Aptx bluetooth. It's 2018, must I explain.

Overall i spent a good amount of cash on a flashy feature rich head unit who's biggest downfall is sound quality. Sound quality being the sole reason i purchased the unit, I am disappointed and would not recommend the Dmx905S to anyone who appreciates sound quality above features. I simply feel like Kenwood missed the mark and left out some deal breaking features for me. They designed a very sturdy, great to use unit that I will soon replace because it just doesn't perform good enough on the sound quality/lack of annoying limitations front. It reminds me too much of Apple's IOS telling me, nope cant do that.

I just wanted to warn anyone considering a new Kenwood double din for their 'no holding back' SQ builds. Go for the older kenwoods instead.
Leland331 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-08-2019   #2

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 86 Jscoyne2 has a spectacular aura aboutJscoyne2 has a spectacular aura aboutJscoyne2 has a spectacular aura aboutJscoyne2 has a spectacular aura aboutJscoyne2 has a spectacular aura aboutJscoyne2 has a spectacular aura aboutJscoyne2 has a spectacular aura aboutJscoyne2 has a spectacular aura about

Default Re: Kenwood Dmx905S 2.5/5

People still buy Kenwoods?

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk
Jscoyne2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-08-2019   #3
Upgrade Your Membership!

Prisoner

12V Company:
Apicella Auto Sound
Position:
Janitor

Thanked 1,495 Times in 1,044 Posts
Rep Power: 437 SkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jscoyne2 View Post

They're the best double dins out right now imo

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

SkizeR is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2019   #4

Rep Power: 28 disconnected will become famous soon enoughdisconnected will become famous soon enoughdisconnected will become famous soon enoughdisconnected will become famous soon enoughdisconnected will become famous soon enoughdisconnected will become famous soon enough

He meant to say Alpines are the best double dins out right now.

Corvette: Alpine ILX-207, Helix DSP.2, Mosconi AS 100.4, Audiofrog GB10, Stereo Integrity TM65mkii, SDS CLD Tiles, CCF, MLV, no subs.
disconnected is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-08-2019   #5
Upgrade Your Membership!

Prisoner

12V Company:
Apicella Auto Sound
Position:
Janitor

Rep Power: 437 SkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by disconnected View Post
im saying kenwood, sony, and alpine are the big 3 right now. pioneers from a sound quality perspective are falling behind. The sony stuff is really nicely priced and look oem, the kenwoods sound really good and have a good interface. Not the most familiar with the newest alpine stuff

Old 01-08-2019   #6
Upgrade Your Membership!

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 353 rton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jscoyne2 View Post

Yes. Just a couple of weeks ago.

Leland331, I am surprised to see some of what you are posting. My understanding was that the DMX905S was similar to the DDX9905S and DNX995S, only lacking Nav, a disc drive and high res display. The DDX and DNX have received pretty rave reviews from multiple forum members. That includes praise for the sound quality and lack of coloration.

I'd be curious to know if others who have purchased the same head unit share the same opinions.

Pioneer DEH-80PRS | Helix DSP.2 | Zapco Z-150.6 AP + Z-400.2 AP (x2) | Illusion TL 25 BN | Illusion C5 | Raven 10XL (x2)
2015 MECA SQL Street | 2017 & 2018 MECA Modex California State Champion
Sonic Electronix Discount Code: hutsell
rton20s is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-08-2019   #7
Upgrade Your Membership!

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 353 rton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkizeR View Post
They're the best double dins out right now imo

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk
Agreed. I did a lot of research, including hands on and asking people who owned various current units from Kenwood, Alpine, Pioneer and Sony. I went with the DDX9905S, knowing what was going to be announced at CES this week from Kenwood. If I were on a tighter budget, I probably would have just gone with Sony.

Quote:
Originally Posted by disconnected View Post
Meh. Beyond the Halo models (which have some significant shortcomings), their lack of innovation and pricing is disappointing.

Pioneer DEH-80PRS | Helix DSP.2 | Zapco Z-150.6 AP + Z-400.2 AP (x2) | Illusion TL 25 BN | Illusion C5 | Raven 10XL (x2)
2015 MECA SQL Street | 2017 & 2018 MECA Modex California State Champion
Sonic Electronix Discount Code: hutsell
rton20s is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to rton20s For This Useful Post:
SkizeR (01-08-2019)
Old 01-08-2019   #8
Upgrade Your Membership!

Prisoner

12V Company:
Apicella Auto Sound
Position:
Janitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leland331 View Post
Even zeroed out, there is some phase shift, coloration, and tweaking happening.
how did you measure this?

The Following User Says Thank You to SkizeR For This Useful Post:
rton20s (01-08-2019)
Old 01-08-2019   #9

Rep Power: 28 disconnected will become famous soon enoughdisconnected will become famous soon enoughdisconnected will become famous soon enoughdisconnected will become famous soon enoughdisconnected will become famous soon enoughdisconnected will become famous soon enough

The Alpines have a defeat mode for sound. I have it checked to allow the Helix to do its thing.

Corvette: Alpine ILX-207, Helix DSP.2, Mosconi AS 100.4, Audiofrog GB10, Stereo Integrity TM65mkii, SDS CLD Tiles, CCF, MLV, no subs.
disconnected is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-11-2019   #10
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 172 vactor will become famous soon enoughvactor will become famous soon enoughvactor will become famous soon enoughvactor will become famous soon enoughvactor will become famous soon enoughvactor will become famous soon enough

i could not find a compelling double din myself, so in my current install i am just using an LG phone with BT and headphone output. screw it.
vactor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement