Morel CCWR254 2.5" mid/fullrange review - Page 2 - Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-31-2019   #26
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 0 eststang will become famous soon enougheststang will become famous soon enougheststang will become famous soon enougheststang will become famous soon enougheststang will become famous soon enougheststang will become famous soon enough

Default Re: Morel CCWR254 2.5" mid/fullrange review

Mine are crossed at 350hz with 18db/oct, works very well for me.
eststang is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-31-2019   #27
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 115 TheHulk9er will become famous soon enoughTheHulk9er will become famous soon enoughTheHulk9er will become famous soon enoughTheHulk9er will become famous soon enoughTheHulk9er will become famous soon enoughTheHulk9er will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hillbilly SQ View Post
Well, I don't know about lowpassing them up top letting them play lower but it will for sure keep them from having to play as much of the spectrum. Lowpassed up top or not they still gotta move air to play the lower stuff with authority. For your needs I'd be running the gb25 in that size range if money allowed. With the power you have and being a convertible that 4mm of Klippel verified linear xmax could really work in your favor and could take that power crossed at 300hz without breaking a sweat.

Since I want to mount these in the factory location and the grill is part of the door handle assembly the gb25 will not fit without a major rebuild (I already have a pair of gb25s). The Morel will drop right into the factory location like it's made for it. Given these facts the Morel wins. I'm just not willing to rebuild my door or have a giant blob on my a-pillar to install the gb25 (at least not yet ).

2000 BMW 323Ci Convertible - Dynaudio 650, Morel CCWR254, Hertz Mille (Old Version) ML280, IDMAX 10 (IB), Dynaudio 430 + ML280 (Center Channel), JBL MS-8, Alpine PDX-V9, Helix P Six DSP MK2, Soundstream PN2.350D + MB Quartz QSC210 (rear fill), Alpine Halo9 iLX-F309.

Last edited by TheHulk9er; 07-31-2019 at 02:42 PM..
TheHulk9er is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-31-2019   #28
DIYMA 500 Club

Blue Collar Audiophile

12V Company:
Complacent Audio
Position:
Incoherent rambler

Rep Power: 307 Hillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHulk9er View Post
Since I want to mount these in the factory location and the grill is part of the door handle assembly the gb25 will not fit without a major rebuild (I already have a pair of gb25s). The Morel will drop right into the factory location like it's made for it. Given these facts the Morel wins. I'm just not willing to rebuild my door or have a giant blob on my a-pillar to install the gb25 (at least not yet ).
Oh ok. Well they're worth a try then. If output suffers at the suggested 350hz just step them up until you can push them to desired volume without distorting.

'16 single cab Ram Tradesman ST with HEMI...Pioneer avh-501ex...Helix dsp.2...Helix G-Five...Zapco ST-4X SQ...LPG 26na...Audiofrog gb25...Scanspeak Discovery 7"...Dayton HO12d4...MAKE DIYMA GREAT AGAIN!
Hillbilly SQ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2019   #29
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 162 foreman will become famous soon enoughforeman will become famous soon enoughforeman will become famous soon enoughforeman will become famous soon enoughforeman will become famous soon enoughforeman will become famous soon enough

With the esotars having really good midrange, you have nothing to lose by running them to 400 or above to get whatever you need out of the morels. Many midbass drivers may not play well higher, that Dyn is not one of them.

Deck-DEX-P99Rs, Amp-Arc xdi v2 1200.6
Dash-Xtant XIS 2.4
Doors-Scan Rev's, sub SI Mag 4....
foreman is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-31-2019   #30
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 115 TheHulk9er will become famous soon enoughTheHulk9er will become famous soon enoughTheHulk9er will become famous soon enoughTheHulk9er will become famous soon enoughTheHulk9er will become famous soon enoughTheHulk9er will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by foreman View Post
With the esotars having really good midrange, you have nothing to lose by running them to 400 or above to get whatever you need out of the morels. Many midbass drivers may not play well higher, that Dyn is not one of them.
Agreed. This makes sense given that the Esotar 3 way crosses the 650 at 650hz. Why make a 2.5" driver struggle to play what a 6.5' driver plays effortlessly? The only reason would be to raise the sound stage a little with the smaller driver positioned at the top of the door. This should work itself out with little trial and error but I agree 400-500 should be great.

2000 BMW 323Ci Convertible - Dynaudio 650, Morel CCWR254, Hertz Mille (Old Version) ML280, IDMAX 10 (IB), Dynaudio 430 + ML280 (Center Channel), JBL MS-8, Alpine PDX-V9, Helix P Six DSP MK2, Soundstream PN2.350D + MB Quartz QSC210 (rear fill), Alpine Halo9 iLX-F309.
TheHulk9er is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-21-2019   #31

Rep Power: 16 Swoopejoy will become famous soon enoughSwoopejoy will become famous soon enoughSwoopejoy will become famous soon enoughSwoopejoy will become famous soon enoughSwoopejoy will become famous soon enoughSwoopejoy will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hillbilly SQ View Post
You can run them IB just fine. Only thing I really suggest is to do as much as you can to keep the sound from the back of the speaker from causing issues that "just dropping them in" can cause. Some neoprene to make a bladder type enclosure should work fine. I know a guy who had great success making an enclosure for his Scan 10f's this way. Really you just want to attenuate the wave from the back of the cone as much as possible.
Could you expand a little on how to make a neoprene enclosure, that would improve midrange response for these or any other midrange speakers in a ib door situation?

Also, do you or any others have any commentary on how these would compare to the sb accustics 2.5 inch?
Swoopejoy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-21-2019   #32
DIYMA 500 Club

Blue Collar Audiophile

12V Company:
Complacent Audio
Position:
Incoherent rambler

Rep Power: 307 Hillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swoopejoy View Post
Could you expand a little on how to make a neoprene enclosure, that would improve midrange response for these or any other midrange speakers in a ib door situation?

Also, do you or any others have any commentary on how these would compare to the sb accustics 2.5 inch?
I've never personally made one like that but I would imagine as long as you can seal a piece to an adapter ring or something with both roughly the same size you should be OK.

'16 single cab Ram Tradesman ST with HEMI...Pioneer avh-501ex...Helix dsp.2...Helix G-Five...Zapco ST-4X SQ...LPG 26na...Audiofrog gb25...Scanspeak Discovery 7"...Dayton HO12d4...MAKE DIYMA GREAT AGAIN!
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #33

Rep Power: 80 Donanon will become famous soon enoughDonanon will become famous soon enoughDonanon will become famous soon enoughDonanon will become famous soon enoughDonanon will become famous soon enoughDonanon will become famous soon enough

Quote:

I've heard both the SB and the Morel in the same car and IMO the Morel is in another league compared to the SB, smoother, more detailed, less susceptible to compression and just all around more pleasant to listen to. Of course the CCWR254 is three times more expensive than the SB65WBAC25-4 so it should be a lot better.

New install incoming.
Donanon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to Donanon For This Useful Post:
ambesolman (4 Weeks Ago)
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #34
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 151 manish will become famous soon enoughmanish will become famous soon enoughmanish will become famous soon enoughmanish will become famous soon enoughmanish will become famous soon enoughmanish will become famous soon enough

Send a message via Yahoo to manish

Curious HillbillySQ, Have you had a chance to play with the Infinity 20mx/JBL Stadium GTO20m? I own the 20mx, but I'm curious about other options in the under 3" mid arena. Esp with a driver that can play lower, as the domed mids can play down to 500hz but thats it. Is it possible for you to do a review on a set of those? and the JBl and infinity have different sonic signatures from what I was told.

Infinity Kappa Perfect 900 + kappa 20MX front stage
Infinity Kappa Infinity Kappa 62.11I rear stage
2 RF T1 15" (silver cone) Sealed. 2 Pioneer PRS-d800,1 pioneer PRS-D4200f bridged, 1 Pioneer PRS-X720
manish is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #35
DIYMA 500 Club

Blue Collar Audiophile

12V Company:
Complacent Audio
Position:
Incoherent rambler

Quote:
Originally Posted by manish View Post
Curious HillbillySQ, Have you had a chance to play with the Infinity 20mx/JBL Stadium GTO20m? I own the 20mx, but I'm curious about other options in the under 3" mid arena. Esp with a driver that can play lower, as the domed mids can play down to 500hz but thats it. Is it possible for you to do a review on a set of those? and the JBl and infinity have different sonic signatures from what I was told.
I considered playing around with a set back when I first found out about them. I don't have any plans of doing any testing at this point because of everything that has to happen to do it right. I did hear a pair of mx20's in naiku's car mounted off axis in the kicks and they sounded quite nice. He also put a good amount of time into the tune I think. If I were needing a midrange for a budget 3-way build it would be at or near the top of my list.

The Following User Says Thank You to Hillbilly SQ For This Useful Post:
naiku (3 Weeks Ago)
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #36

Enthusiast

12V Company:
FC -NCO-COL
Position:
MECP advanced certified,

Rep Power: 100 oabeieo will become famous soon enoughoabeieo will become famous soon enoughoabeieo will become famous soon enoughoabeieo will become famous soon enoughoabeieo will become famous soon enoughoabeieo will become famous soon enoughoabeieo will become famous soon enough

Quote:

I had the morel for a little while in my last car.

I did what I always do with small mids

Duck tape the baskets and make it a sealed back mid. But duct tape not metal

This will raise the efficiency in its usable range (350-4000) and also push any reflections on the sealed side way up past the crossover (3kor so)

It also improves transient response

It won’t play low, but you won’t need it to

Try it , eq it Lmk

im so in love with my speakers I found a song I sing to them

https://youtu.be/VgU6LXY-AjI
oabeieo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement