CLD Testing - Page 3 - Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-21-2019   #51
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 0 mwahlert will become famous soon enoughmwahlert will become famous soon enoughmwahlert will become famous soon enoughmwahlert will become famous soon enoughmwahlert will become famous soon enoughmwahlert will become famous soon enough

Default Re: CLD Testing

Is there a consolidated summary of your test results from last time around? Was RoadKill Ultimate tested?

Thanks.
mwahlert is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-21-2019   #52
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 148 TOOSTUBBORN2FAIL is a name known to allTOOSTUBBORN2FAIL is a name known to allTOOSTUBBORN2FAIL is a name known to allTOOSTUBBORN2FAIL is a name known to allTOOSTUBBORN2FAIL is a name known to allTOOSTUBBORN2FAIL is a name known to allTOOSTUBBORN2FAIL is a name known to allTOOSTUBBORN2FAIL is a name known to allTOOSTUBBORN2FAIL is a name known to allTOOSTUBBORN2FAIL is a name known to allTOOSTUBBORN2FAIL is a name known to all

Roadkill Ultimate didnt exist last time I tested. However, roadkill ultimate is just roadkill expert with foam attached.

Roadkill expert was tested. I frequently use it as an example to show why the butyl formula is the most important spec, and the one spec no one reveals.

Roadkill is thicker, heavier, and has a thicker aluminun layer than dynamat xtreme. Most people would guess that because of those things, stinger would perform better. But it doesnt, it performs noticeably worse. Dynamat reduced the resonance in my testing by 3db more, and reduced the q of the resonance much more (flattened the peak).
TOOSTUBBORN2FAIL is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to TOOSTUBBORN2FAIL For This Useful Post:
rton20s (03-21-2019)
Old 03-24-2019   #53

Rep Power: 0 dlmax will become famous soon enoughdlmax will become famous soon enoughdlmax will become famous soon enoughdlmax will become famous soon enoughdlmax will become famous soon enoughdlmax will become famous soon enough

I just donated and am looking forward to the testing and results. Come on everyone... toss in a 10 spot. It all adds up. Thanks for doing what you do, TSTF!

In my case, I'm just a guy with a car and a desire to have better sound and quieter environment. I had started the doors with SDS's product after a lot of time researching for the best quality product/results without breaking my wallet. Unfortunately, Don's timing (great experience BTW) meant that when I went to continue with other areas of my car, he had shut SDS down. I've switched to Kno Knoise Kolossus for the CLD and am interested to see how it fares. I've seen reviews indicating that they exaggerate their specs but the product still compares very well for the $. Picked up some Vibro 228 CCF for roof and select areas but have yet to source MLV for floor/firewall and rear seat back. I still am wondering/thinking of something for directly behind speakers in the doors but have yet to make a decision... I'll keep researching on that one, maybe just try some of the Vibro. Anyway, I'll have completed my car, most assuredly, before TSTF has completed his work so I'm only hoping that this grasshopper chooses wisely.
dlmax is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dlmax For This Useful Post:
rton20s (03-25-2019), SkizeR (03-24-2019), TOOSTUBBORN2FAIL (03-26-2019)

Old 03-24-2019   #54
Upgrade Your Membership!

Listener of Music

Rep Power: 103 Theslaking will become famous soon enoughTheslaking will become famous soon enoughTheslaking will become famous soon enoughTheslaking will become famous soon enoughTheslaking will become famous soon enoughTheslaking will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwahlert View Post
Is there a consolidated summary of your test results from last time around? Thanks.
Just search cld testing diyma on Google.

Just because I have 2000+ posts doesn't mean I have learned anything.
Theslaking is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-25-2019   #55

Rep Power: 13 OldNewbie will become famous soon enoughOldNewbie will become famous soon enoughOldNewbie will become famous soon enoughOldNewbie will become famous soon enoughOldNewbie will become famous soon enoughOldNewbie will become famous soon enough

OK, I'm in. I am without a job right now so was reluctant to help out but this testing will help us all out for many months or years to come.
OldNewbie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to OldNewbie For This Useful Post:
TOOSTUBBORN2FAIL (03-25-2019), YeahWhatever (03-28-2019), zapps (03-25-2019)
Old 03-25-2019   #56
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 133 Alrojoca will become famous soon enoughAlrojoca will become famous soon enoughAlrojoca will become famous soon enoughAlrojoca will become famous soon enoughAlrojoca will become famous soon enoughAlrojoca will become famous soon enoughAlrojoca will become famous soon enough

Donate donate support support. I agree. Exclusive distributors of one product or manufacturers, should stay out of donating materials unless willing to accept the results.

You can buy a postal money order and donate with your avatar user name and send it if that makes some feel better.

I hope nobody else gets fired over these new tests, shame on the company that did that, since that would spread faster than the test failure itself.
Alrojoca is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Alrojoca For This Useful Post:
SkizeR (03-25-2019), TOOSTUBBORN2FAIL (03-25-2019), YeahWhatever (03-28-2019)
Old 03-28-2019   #57

Rep Power: 0 YeahWhatever will become famous soon enoughYeahWhatever will become famous soon enoughYeahWhatever will become famous soon enoughYeahWhatever will become famous soon enoughYeahWhatever will become famous soon enoughYeahWhatever will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOOSTUBBORN2FAIL View Post
I prefer not to involve any companies.
Isn't your largest donation from a company that is going to sell sound deadener and you have talked about them multiple times on this forum on different threads already? To be fully transparent, unbiased, and taken seriously by everyone shouldn't you return all donations from companies that sell sound deadeners?
YeahWhatever is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-28-2019   #58

12V Company:
Apicella Auto Sound
Position:
Janitor

Thanked 1,859 Times in 1,282 Posts
Rep Power: 0 SkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by YeahWhatever View Post
Isn't your largest donation from a company that is going to sell sound deadener and you have talked about them multiple times on this forum on different threads already? To be fully transparent, unbiased, and taken seriously by everyone shouldn't you return all donations from companies that sell sound deadeners?
Your damn right it was. I want to know if my potential manufacturers are fudging my numbers. I already found out one was. Was better way to find out than independent testing.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk
SkizeR is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to SkizeR For This Useful Post:
rton20s (03-28-2019)
Old 03-28-2019   #59
Upgrade Your Membership!

Listener of Music

Rep Power: 103 Theslaking will become famous soon enoughTheslaking will become famous soon enoughTheslaking will become famous soon enoughTheslaking will become famous soon enoughTheslaking will become famous soon enoughTheslaking will become famous soon enough

Quote:
He's not suggesting he's influenced by their donations. He is suggesting that they are influenced by his testing.

His ability to stave off bias is not in question. That's the main point of this type of test. To avoid company bias.

We should not have the need to get rid of industry money. They should fund it completely and welcome the results. Unfortunately that seemingly has not been the case.

I think your response is the only thing not in line with the thread.

Just because I have 2000+ posts doesn't mean I have learned anything.
Theslaking is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to Theslaking For This Useful Post:
rton20s (03-28-2019)
Old 03-28-2019   #60

Rep Power: 0 YeahWhatever will become famous soon enoughYeahWhatever will become famous soon enoughYeahWhatever will become famous soon enoughYeahWhatever will become famous soon enoughYeahWhatever will become famous soon enoughYeahWhatever will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theslaking View Post
He's not suggesting he's influenced by their donations. He is suggesting that they are influenced by his testing.

His ability to stave off bias is not in question. That's the main point of this type of test. To avoid company bias.

We should not have the need to get rid of industry money. They should fund it completely and welcome the results. Unfortunately that seemingly has not been the case.

I think your response is the only thing not in line with the thread.
Everyone has their own views in life, sir. I wouldn't buy a Chevy if they paid for all the testing done to win their silly awards...just like I would have to think twice about testing done with money from the product being tested. To each their own I guess. Seems like the tester is putting in a lot of work, no reason in my eyes to jeopardize the results over $200 from a friend and product owner. And Nick can still see his products results from the test without paying for them. But that is just my opinion. Good luck to all.
Old 03-28-2019   #61

12V Company:
Apicella Auto Sound
Position:
Janitor

Rep Power: 0 SkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Everyone has their own views in life, sir. I wouldn't buy a Chevy if they paid for all the testing done to win their silly awards...just like I would have to think twice about testing done with money from the product being tested. To each their own I guess. Seems like the tester is putting in a lot of work, no reason in my eyes to jeopardize the results over $200 from a friend and product owner. And Nick can still see his products results from the test without paying for them. But that is just my opinion. Good luck to all.
Good thing the testing will all be filmed to prevent any claims of bias

If it really bothers you that much, dont buy my product. That doesn't bother me. Also, I had a good week last week so I think I'm gunna donate some more.

rton20s (03-29-2019)
Old 03-28-2019   #62
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 148 TOOSTUBBORN2FAIL is a name known to allTOOSTUBBORN2FAIL is a name known to allTOOSTUBBORN2FAIL is a name known to allTOOSTUBBORN2FAIL is a name known to allTOOSTUBBORN2FAIL is a name known to allTOOSTUBBORN2FAIL is a name known to allTOOSTUBBORN2FAIL is a name known to allTOOSTUBBORN2FAIL is a name known to allTOOSTUBBORN2FAIL is a name known to allTOOSTUBBORN2FAIL is a name known to allTOOSTUBBORN2FAIL is a name known to all

There are multiple layers of transparency built into this testing.

Yes, Nick donated. As of right now, Nick doesnt have a CLD product. Nick also knows I'll be the first to drop the hammer if it doesnt perform to expectations. Nick asked me if id rather him donate annonymously. I told him not to, for full transparency. Realistically, he would have donated anyways.

Just to be clear, Nick has offered to help me get this project going for 3 years now. At some points, he even offered to pay in full for the set-up, but I wasnt in a position to have time to test.

Further, i have my house set up to film video. All tests will be fully recorded from start to finish. I may even stream the tests live. It will literally be hours of footage per test to show that everything is on the up and up. Given that my honestly got people fired last time, its unlikely the majority of people will see a conflict here.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TOOSTUBBORN2FAIL For This Useful Post:
Neur0tic (07-06-2019), rton20s (03-29-2019), SkizeR (03-28-2019)
Old 03-29-2019   #63

Rep Power: 34 Redliner99 will become famous soon enoughRedliner99 will become famous soon enoughRedliner99 will become famous soon enoughRedliner99 will become famous soon enoughRedliner99 will become famous soon enoughRedliner99 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
There are multiple layers of transparency built into this testing.

Yes, Nick donated. As of right now, Nick doesnt have a CLD product. Nick also knows I'll be the first to drop the hammer if it doesnt perform to expectations. Nick asked me if id rather him donate annonymously. I told him not to, for full transparency. Realistically, he would have donated anyways.

Just to be clear, Nick has offered to help me get this project going for 3 years now. At some points, he even offered to pay in full for the set-up, but I wasnt in a position to have time to test.

Further, i have my house set up to film video. All tests will be fully recorded from start to finish. I may even stream the tests live. It will literally be hours of footage per test to show that everything is on the up and up. Given that my honestly got people fired last time, its unlikely the majority of people will see a conflict here.

Jesus people will complain about anything!! Your doing this forum and community a great service and not being paid to do it which to anyone with half a brain would show your transparency. Keep on keeping on man good work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Redliner99 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Redliner99 For This Useful Post:
rton20s (03-29-2019), SkizeR (03-29-2019)
Old 04-01-2019   #64

Rep Power: 23 Pb82 Ronin will become famous soon enoughPb82 Ronin will become famous soon enoughPb82 Ronin will become famous soon enoughPb82 Ronin will become famous soon enoughPb82 Ronin will become famous soon enoughPb82 Ronin will become famous soon enough

Has anyone ever heard of https://drartex.com/ ? It's a sound deadening company based out of Singapore. They make some claims about their stuff being great. Maybe worth wile to test.

Yes, I have cars. They have aftermarket audio.
My build: https://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum...-corvette.html
Pb82 Ronin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-03-2019   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkizeR View Post
Your damn right it was. I want to know if my potential manufacturers are fudging my numbers. I already found out one was. Was better way to find out than independent testing.

"Independent" testing is usually conducted by a third party which you have zero affiliation with, sir. You and Chris have been friends for like a decade. If you are so worried about the real numbers, why not pay an actual lab to test your up and coming product line like most other brands do when they come to the market? Please do donate more money, so that he can reach his goal and get this started, maybe you can get a plaque on the testing data that says "Project funded by Nick"

PS Live streaming every step of the test would be much more transparent then recording and editing the videos, imo. Good luck and can't wait to see the findings this year.
Old 04-03-2019   #66

12V Company:
Apicella Auto Sound
Position:
Janitor

Quote:
"Independent" testing is usually conducted by a third party which you have zero affiliation with, sir. You and Chris have been friends for like a decade. If you are so worried about the real numbers, why not pay an actual lab to test your up and coming product line like most other brands do when they come to the market? Please do donate more money, so that he can reach his goal and get this started, maybe you can get a plaque on the testing data that says "Project funded by Nick"

PS Live streaming every step of the test would be much more transparent then recording and editing the videos, imo. Good luck and can't wait to see the findings this year.
Because the companies that do this testing are the same ones that make the product. I already have their results, one of which was fudged. Also, the testing they do is not anything like the testing done here. I also am not 100% sure how they correlate since the testing done professionally is done at 200hz. That's not very informative for our use. And again, if you dont like the results, dont use the test as your reference.

Ps, I havent even been on here for a decade. I wasnt even driving a decade ago lol

rton20s (04-03-2019)
Old 04-03-2019   #67
Upgrade Your Membership!

Rep Power: 35 GreatLaBroski will become famous soon enoughGreatLaBroski will become famous soon enoughGreatLaBroski will become famous soon enoughGreatLaBroski will become famous soon enoughGreatLaBroski will become famous soon enoughGreatLaBroski will become famous soon enough

Quote:

What about me and the other forum members who donated to the project? Or does the $200 that Nick put in overrule everyone else’s contributions? How much did you contribute to the project?

If you don’t like the results of the testing or if you don’t trust the person performing it then kindly get out. Otherwise all I see is some no-post loudmouth annoying me when I get email notifications of the latest rude thing you said.

The obvious reason independent laboratory testing hasn’t been done is because of:

1. Expense
2. Lab setups differ, meaning that all samples from all manufacturers would need to be sent and tested by the same lab to have accuracy. (Refer back to 1)

Even if Nick is doing this privately he will have legal challenges to posting his data because the companies whom he’s competing with will sue to try to suppress it. They’d probably go down the route of saying that it isn’t covered under fair use of the Trademark due to it being a competitor’s marketing material, and it’d probably be deemed valid. Aside from possible financial penalties, that’d leave him with some weak “compared to a popular competing CLD panel maker” type of comparison chart, which while accurate, would be completely flaccid.

So the solution is independent testing, from a source who can actually publish it. Now if you’re willing to arrange and pay for the top xx brands of CLD tiles to be tested by a lab then by all means go for it.

Otherwise it seems like you’re some paranoid nobody who’s suddenly prancing in here and demanding all kinds of special treatment that people who actually contributed aren’t even asking for.

2017 Chevy Bolt EV - Work in Progress: Scanspeak D3004/6040-10 Beryllium tweeters, Scanspeak 12mu mids, Scanspeak 18wu midbasses, Scanspeak 32w/4878T00 13" Subwoofer, Scanspeak 10F / D3004/6020's (rear doors), Scanspeak 10F (rear fill). MiniDSP C-DSP 8x12 v2 DL, Arc Audio KS 300.2 v2, Arc Audio SKS300.6 Prototype, Arc Audio KS300.4 v2
GreatLaBroski is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to GreatLaBroski For This Useful Post:
Blu (04-03-2019), Neur0tic (07-06-2019), rton20s (04-03-2019), SkizeR (04-03-2019)
Old 04-03-2019   #68
Upgrade Your Membership!

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 361 rton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatLaBroski View Post
Otherwise it seems like you’re some paranoid nobody who’s suddenly prancing in here and demanding all kinds of special treatment that people who actually contributed aren’t even asking for.
Truth.

Kenwood DDX9905S | Helix DSP.2 | Zapco Z-150.6 AP + Z-400.2 AP (x2) | Illusion TL 25 BN | Illusion C5 | Raven 10XL (x2)
2015 MECA SQL Street | 2017 & 2018 MECA Modex California State Champion
Sonic Electronix Discount Code: hutsell
rton20s is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to rton20s For This Useful Post:
bertholomey (04-04-2019)
Old 04-03-2019   #69

Rep Power: 88 dgage will become famous soon enoughdgage will become famous soon enoughdgage will become famous soon enoughdgage will become famous soon enoughdgage will become famous soon enoughdgage will become famous soon enough

Since there are many new posters in here, I'd like to point out 2 things.

1. TOOSTUBBORN2FAIL has done CLD testing for this community several years ago. With the turnover in products, now is a good time for another round of CLD testing. And I'm very appreciative of the time AND MONEY TOOSTUBBORN2FAIL has put into preparing for this testing. We also have the benefit of additional knowledge and equipment that will be put into this round of testing.

2. Thinking about the people that would have an issue with a very public and known distributor involvement in the testing, the main ones I come up with are those that don't know any better or people from competing companies that are worried about the test results. For those that don't know any better, read #1 and do some research. For #2, please stay off the board or focus on developing better products. While fads and forum darlings happen, DIYMA is usually focused on identifying quality products that provide good value. This is why brands like SB Acoustics and similar become popular.

Last thing I'll say is please stop suggesting TOOSTUBBORN2FAIL will skew results for money as that is incredibly offensive without proof of such improprieties.
dgage is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to dgage For This Useful Post:
Blu (04-03-2019), chucko58 (09-07-2019), Neur0tic (07-06-2019), Pb82 Ronin (04-03-2019), rton20s (04-03-2019)
Old 04-03-2019   #70
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 131 vettefiend will become famous soon enoughvettefiend will become famous soon enoughvettefiend will become famous soon enoughvettefiend will become famous soon enoughvettefiend will become famous soon enoughvettefiend will become famous soon enough

I just dropped some coin into the gofundme bucket.

I was the 39th donation but we have something like 5,000 "active" members so we just need people to get in here and give a little bit. This is the kind of DIY stuff that we as a group should get behind and support.

Thanks for taking on this task, TOOSTUBBORN2FAIL!
vettefiend is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to vettefiend For This Useful Post:
rton20s (04-03-2019)
Old 04-03-2019   #71

Rep Power: 81 norurb will become famous soon enoughnorurb will become famous soon enoughnorurb will become famous soon enoughnorurb will become famous soon enoughnorurb will become famous soon enoughnorurb will become famous soon enough

Just donated. Looking forward to the results.
norurb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to norurb For This Useful Post:
rton20s (04-03-2019)
Old 04-03-2019   #72
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Hey guys, thanks for the support. I'm actually getting a lot less crap then the first time I did this years ago. No death threats or suggestions to kill myself. Yet. Lol.

I will have a video update next week that will be posted across all platforms.

98 Dodge Neon Meca Extreme Class Build
https://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/...-timer-sq.html
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TOOSTUBBORN2FAIL For This Useful Post:
GreatLaBroski (04-03-2019), rton20s (04-03-2019), truckguy (04-03-2019)
Old 04-03-2019   #73
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

As for live streaming, I have no problem doing it, but, there would still have to be cuts. DSLR's have a 30min recording limit before shutting off recording to keep them from being taxed as a camcorder in Europe.

Old 04-03-2019   #74

12V Company:
Apicella Auto Sound
Position:
Janitor

Quote:
Hey guys, thanks for the support. I'm actually getting a lot less crap then the first time I did this years ago. No death threats or suggestions to kill myself. Yet. Lol.

I will have a video update next week that will be posted across all platforms.
kill yourself..

ok, now that thats over with, when can we start testing?
Old 04-03-2019   #75
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

As for live streaming, I have no problem doing it, but, there would still have to be cuts. DSLR's have a 30min recording limit before shutting off recording to keep them from being taxed as a camcorder in Europe.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement