CLD Testing - Page 5 - Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #101
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 0 1883atlantics will become famous soon enough1883atlantics will become famous soon enough1883atlantics will become famous soon enough1883atlantics will become famous soon enough1883atlantics will become famous soon enough1883atlantics will become famous soon enough

Default Re: CLD Testing

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkizeR View Post
funny enough, i have a tesla in the shop right now. Another shop used another brands version (same stuff, different logo) of this stuff. our job today with it is to fix the rattles in the trunk that the previous shop couldnt handle. the stuff they used was all falling off when we took the panels of the hatch off. My feeling is the stfu also didnt hold up to heat very well..?
Good info to know. I'm waiting on your Resonix stuff to be released before starting my sound deadening.
-To clarify, post 1153 in the original test shows STFU V1 was the clear winner in heat testing. Is that the product you dealt with in the Tesla?
1883atlantics is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #102
Upgrade Your Membership!

Prisoner

12V Company:
Apicella Auto Sound
Position:
Janitor

Thanked 1,488 Times in 1,039 Posts
Rep Power: 437 SkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1883atlantics View Post
Good info to know. I'm waiting on your Resonix stuff to be released before starting my sound deadening.
-To clarify, post 1153 in the original test shows STFU V1 was the clear winner in heat testing. Is that the product you dealt with in the Tesla?
no. the v1 must be different than all of the other generic CLD with foam products out there. I have 3 "different" products here right now and theyre all the same, with the same butyl, foam, aluminum, backing paper, dimensions, etc.. if i wanted to i could even make the same stuff with my logo on it since the manufacturer is easy to find and very cheap. i dont plan on taking the easy way out so i cant promise when my product will be done. If you get to impatient, dynamat extreme is what i suggest.

SkizeR is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SkizeR For This Useful Post:
1883atlantics (2 Weeks Ago), rton20s (2 Weeks Ago)
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #103
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 142 TOOSTUBBORN2FAIL is a name known to allTOOSTUBBORN2FAIL is a name known to allTOOSTUBBORN2FAIL is a name known to allTOOSTUBBORN2FAIL is a name known to allTOOSTUBBORN2FAIL is a name known to allTOOSTUBBORN2FAIL is a name known to allTOOSTUBBORN2FAIL is a name known to allTOOSTUBBORN2FAIL is a name known to allTOOSTUBBORN2FAIL is a name known to allTOOSTUBBORN2FAIL is a name known to allTOOSTUBBORN2FAIL is a name known to all

Quote:
funny enough, i have a tesla in the shop right now. Another shop used another brands version (same stuff, different logo) of this stuff. our job today with it is to fix the rattles in the trunk that the previous shop couldnt handle. the stuff they used was all falling off when we took the panels of the hatch off. My feeling is the stfu also didnt hold up to heat very well..?
Its actually one of 5 that held up to 400 degrees. The others being soundskins, dynamat, sds, and second skin.

I've heard of soundskins and stfu failing. Possibly bad quality control?

98 Dodge Neon Meca Extreme Class Build
https://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/...-timer-sq.html
TOOSTUBBORN2FAIL is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #104

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 86 Jscoyne2 has a spectacular aura aboutJscoyne2 has a spectacular aura aboutJscoyne2 has a spectacular aura aboutJscoyne2 has a spectacular aura aboutJscoyne2 has a spectacular aura aboutJscoyne2 has a spectacular aura aboutJscoyne2 has a spectacular aura aboutJscoyne2 has a spectacular aura about

Or someone just put it on wrong? I've had cld fall off because the metal was greasy or had a ton of dirt on it.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk
Jscoyne2 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #105
Upgrade Your Membership!

Rep Power: 27 GreatLaBroski will become famous soon enoughGreatLaBroski will become famous soon enoughGreatLaBroski will become famous soon enoughGreatLaBroski will become famous soon enoughGreatLaBroski will become famous soon enoughGreatLaBroski will become famous soon enough

@toostubborn, you know a good way to test heat resistance would be to set up a bunch of 3D printer silicone heater bed pads affixed to a piece of sheet metal.

Then use a standalone 12v temperature controller hooked up to good quality solid state relay (12v triggerable), hooked up to the heater pad and thermocouple.

12v temperature controller: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Temperature...r/141918997931

Solid state relay: https://www.verical.com/pd/crydom-so...SABEgJSbvD_BwE

Silicone heater pad: https://m.aliexpress.com/item/32869393982.html

The most expensive part is a non-chineesium solid state relay. About $60 total for a pretty sweet setup. You would need a 12v power brick to power the controller board, but that can be had for a few bucks on amazon.

For further safety, you can get something like a 100-120c limit switch plus a 4a fuse to apply to the 120v power input path for the heater pad. That will protect against controller malfunction and any pad meltdown situations.

2017 Chevy Bolt EV - Work in Progress: Scanspeak D3004/6040-10 Beryllium tweeters / Scanspeak 12mu mids / Scanspeak 18wu midbasses / Scanspeak 32w/4878T00 13" Subwoofer / Audiofrog GB25s (rear fill). MiniDSP C-DSP 8x12 v2, Arc Audio KS 300.2 (midbass), Zapco Z-150.6 LX (Mids / Highs), Arc Audio KS 1200.1 (sub), Litebox Stereo 4 (rear fill).
GreatLaBroski is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #106
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 142 TOOSTUBBORN2FAIL is a name known to allTOOSTUBBORN2FAIL is a name known to allTOOSTUBBORN2FAIL is a name known to allTOOSTUBBORN2FAIL is a name known to allTOOSTUBBORN2FAIL is a name known to allTOOSTUBBORN2FAIL is a name known to allTOOSTUBBORN2FAIL is a name known to allTOOSTUBBORN2FAIL is a name known to allTOOSTUBBORN2FAIL is a name known to allTOOSTUBBORN2FAIL is a name known to allTOOSTUBBORN2FAIL is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatLaBroski View Post
@toostubborn, you know a good way to test heat resistance would be to set up a bunch of 3D printer silicone heater bed pads affixed to a piece of sheet metal.

Then use a standalone 12v temperature controller hooked up to good quality solid state relay (12v triggerable), hooked up to the heater pad and thermocouple.

12v temperature controller: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Temperature...r/141918997931

Solid state relay: https://www.verical.com/pd/crydom-so...SABEgJSbvD_BwE

Silicone heater pad: https://m.aliexpress.com/item/32869393982.html

The most expensive part is a non-chineesium solid state relay. About $60 total for a pretty sweet setup. You would need a 12v power brick to power the controller board, but that can be had for a few bucks on amazon.

For further safety, you can get something like a 100-120c limit switch plus a 4a fuse to apply to the 120v power input path for the heater pad. That will protect against controller malfunction and any pad meltdown situations.
That's actually a neat idea, but my concern would be it not getting hot enough. Last time a product made it past 250 degrees, and failed at 300 degrees F, and that was a product that had failed in multiple cars. I need to look and see if you can get heaters like that that can handle higher heat.

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #107
Upgrade Your Membership!

Rep Power: 27 GreatLaBroski will become famous soon enoughGreatLaBroski will become famous soon enoughGreatLaBroski will become famous soon enoughGreatLaBroski will become famous soon enoughGreatLaBroski will become famous soon enoughGreatLaBroski will become famous soon enough

You’ll have to look for spec sheets, but many are stable at 200c (392f) for continuous use. That should be enough.

2017 Chevy Bolt EV - Work in Progress: Scanspeak D3004/6040-10 Beryllium tweeters / Scanspeak 12mu mids / Scanspeak 18wu midbasses / Scanspeak 32w/4878T00 13" Subwoofer / Audiofrog GB25s (rear fill). MiniDSP C-DSP 8x12 v2, Arc Audio KS 300.2 (midbass), Zapco Z-150.6 LX (Mids / Highs), Arc Audio KS 1200.1 (sub), Litebox Stereo 4 (rear fill).
GreatLaBroski is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to GreatLaBroski For This Useful Post:
TOOSTUBBORN2FAIL (1 Week Ago)
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #108

Rep Power: 31 OCD66 will become famous soon enoughOCD66 will become famous soon enoughOCD66 will become famous soon enoughOCD66 will become famous soon enoughOCD66 will become famous soon enoughOCD66 will become famous soon enough

If you really want to test the extremes, an infrared is the way to go. I can heat well over 300f in minutes. Broad, even heat.
Model SRU-1615 - Infratech Official Site

Add one of these and you'll know within a few degrees.
https://www.amazon.com/Etekcity-Lase...s%2C252&sr=8-3
OCD66 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 1 Week Ago   #109
Upgrade Your Membership!

Prisoner

12V Company:
Apicella Auto Sound
Position:
Janitor

Rep Power: 437 SkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond repute

more donated. come on guys, only 250 more dollars!

The Following User Says Thank You to SkizeR For This Useful Post:
rton20s (1 Week Ago)
Old 1 Week Ago   #110

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 86 Jscoyne2 has a spectacular aura aboutJscoyne2 has a spectacular aura aboutJscoyne2 has a spectacular aura aboutJscoyne2 has a spectacular aura aboutJscoyne2 has a spectacular aura aboutJscoyne2 has a spectacular aura aboutJscoyne2 has a spectacular aura aboutJscoyne2 has a spectacular aura about

So does he not get the money if it doesn't hit the mark?

Jscoyne2 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 1 Week Ago   #111
Upgrade Your Membership!

Prisoner

12V Company:
Apicella Auto Sound
Position:
Janitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jscoyne2 View Post

he does. he already pulled some out to buy the wood if i remember correctly

Old 1 Week Ago   #112
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jscoyne2 View Post

It's been automatically being sent to a bank account that I am using solely for this project. I currently already have the wood, both microphones, measurement computer, transducers, and casters. Green glue is on the way, and tomorrow the rest of the equipment will be ordered. Assembly will take some time as green glue has a set up time, and its 88 pieces of wood that have to be cut, and assembled, and some pieces have to be cut after the green glue has been applied to make sure dimensions are correct. Basically, the last $200 is going to cover the metal work for the actual clamping mechanism.

Old 1 Week Ago   #113
Upgrade Your Membership!

Prisoner

12V Company:
Apicella Auto Sound
Position:
Janitor

come on boys. lets make this place worth a damn again in some way

Old 5 Days Ago   #114
Upgrade Your Membership!

Rep Power: 45 Dan750iL will become famous soon enoughDan750iL will become famous soon enoughDan750iL will become famous soon enoughDan750iL will become famous soon enoughDan750iL will become famous soon enoughDan750iL will become famous soon enough

In for $25 more to bump the thread.
Dan750iL is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dan750iL For This Useful Post:
rton20s (5 Days Ago), TOOSTUBBORN2FAIL (4 Days Ago)
Old 5 Days Ago   #115
Upgrade Your Membership!

Rep Power: 39 Bnlcmbcar will become famous soon enoughBnlcmbcar will become famous soon enoughBnlcmbcar will become famous soon enoughBnlcmbcar will become famous soon enoughBnlcmbcar will become famous soon enoughBnlcmbcar will become famous soon enough

Dropped in $50 to support
Bnlcmbcar is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bnlcmbcar For This Useful Post:
rton20s (5 Days Ago), SkizeR (4 Days Ago), TOOSTUBBORN2FAIL (4 Days Ago)
Old 4 Days Ago   #116
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Thanks guys. I'm actually calling meniscus in a few mins to see what's going on with my order from them for this project.

The Following User Says Thank You to TOOSTUBBORN2FAIL For This Useful Post:
rton20s (4 Days Ago)
Old 2 Days Ago   #117

Rep Power: 0 reburns will become famous soon enoughreburns will become famous soon enoughreburns will become famous soon enoughreburns will become famous soon enoughreburns will become famous soon enoughreburns will become famous soon enough

Chris - I chipped in to your GoFundMe, even though I'm not a DIY Audio guy (but I do have tube audio at home). My project is a Sprinter camper van and I procrastinated too long to buy from SDS. :-( The van itself is quite loud, and now I'm left scrambling for substitute recommendations:

CLD: "Normal" for most areas, and "Thick" for wheel wells and driver's doors.

MLV: I have some, but might need more.

Closed cell foam: to suspend the MLV... this shouldn't need be too specific.

Hydrophobic Melamine Foam for thermal insulation: while it's easy to find cheap Melamine Foam, I want to find hydrophobic treated and don't have any good source!

Cheerio - Ralph
reburns is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to reburns For This Useful Post:
TOOSTUBBORN2FAIL (2 Days Ago)
Old 2 Days Ago   #118
Upgrade Your Membership!

Prisoner

12V Company:
Apicella Auto Sound
Position:
Janitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by reburns View Post
Chris - I chipped in to your GoFundMe, even though I'm not a DIY Audio guy (but I do have tube audio at home). My project is a Sprinter camper van and I procrastinated too long to buy from SDS. :-( The van itself is quite loud, and now I'm left scrambling for substitute recommendations:

CLD: "Normal" for most areas, and "Thick" for wheel wells and driver's doors.

MLV: I have some, but might need more.

Closed cell foam: to suspend the MLV... this shouldn't need be too specific.

Hydrophobic Melamine Foam for thermal insulation: while it's easy to find cheap Melamine Foam, I want to find hydrophobic treated and don't have any good source!

Cheerio - Ralph
Hey Ralph, is your son Nick? Did we happen to meet at my shop a few weeks back?

Old 2 Days Ago   #119

Rep Power: 0 reburns will become famous soon enoughreburns will become famous soon enoughreburns will become famous soon enoughreburns will become famous soon enoughreburns will become famous soon enoughreburns will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Hey Ralph, is your son Nick? Did we happen to meet at my shop a few weeks back?
Hi SkizeR - nope not me. Another Ralph??? Impossible!
reburns is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 2 Days Ago   #120
Upgrade Your Membership!

Prisoner

12V Company:
Apicella Auto Sound
Position:
Janitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by reburns View Post
Hi SkizeR - nope not me. Another Ralph??? Impossible!
TBH i forget the name (i am horrible with names), but your story sounds identical to a customers father who visited my shop and followed chris's old thread where i just so happened to tell him that chris is in the process of gearing up for another test and i am in the process of starting a deadening company.

Old 19 Hours Ago   #121

Rep Power: 27 PickleSlice will become famous soon enoughPickleSlice will become famous soon enoughPickleSlice will become famous soon enoughPickleSlice will become famous soon enoughPickleSlice will become famous soon enoughPickleSlice will become famous soon enough

I'll be happy to donate, and I'd be happy to also donate Noico 80mil. I did the front door on my truck, and I *feel* like it made a difference, but I'd love to see it on paper.

I searched your original thread for Noico, and although I saw it referenced, I never saw it actually tested.

Would it be possible to post the results in an easier to search format? I'd be willing to help out maintaining a website if that would be easier.

2018 Nissan Frontier | JVC KW-740BT | Active front stage - Alpine S-S69C, Sound Ordnance M75-4 | All Knu Konceptz OFC wiring | Not yet installed - Sundown Audio E8 v5 x2, NVX BDA7501
Photo Album
PickleSlice is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 1 Hour Ago   #122

Rep Power: 27 SlvrDragon50 will become famous soon enoughSlvrDragon50 will become famous soon enoughSlvrDragon50 will become famous soon enoughSlvrDragon50 will become famous soon enoughSlvrDragon50 will become famous soon enoughSlvrDragon50 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by PickleSlice View Post
I'll be happy to donate, and I'd be happy to also donate Noico 80mil. I did the front door on my truck, and I *feel* like it made a difference, but I'd love to see it on paper.

I searched your original thread for Noico, and although I saw it referenced, I never saw it actually tested.

Would it be possible to post the results in an easier to search format? I'd be willing to help out maintaining a website if that would be easier.
I would love to see Noico tested as well since we've heard reports of it doing well, but there's never actually been testing.

Can you test Soundbarrier MX-4 or would it not work since it's CLD + CCF? I'd be happy to send in a sample since I think I will have leftovers. Just let me know how much you need so I don't use it all up!
SlvrDragon50 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 1 Hour Ago   #123
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 91 adriancp will become famous soon enoughadriancp will become famous soon enoughadriancp will become famous soon enoughadriancp will become famous soon enoughadriancp will become famous soon enoughadriancp will become famous soon enough

I have a request for one to be tested if possible. DD Audio EA-3.0. the butyl is 3mm thick, or 118 mils.

I would love to see how this stacks up.

If you need a piece sent in, just let me know.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Last edited by adriancp; 1 Hour Ago at 09:03 AM..
adriancp is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 1 Hour Ago   #124
Upgrade Your Membership!

Prisoner

12V Company:
Apicella Auto Sound
Position:
Janitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlvrDragon50 View Post
I would love to see Noico tested as well since we've heard reports of it doing well, but there's never actually been testing.

Can you test Soundbarrier MX-4 or would it not work since it's CLD + CCF? I'd be happy to send in a sample since I think I will have leftovers. Just let me know how much you need so I don't use it all up!
noico is rebranded from SPT silver. that was tested.

The Following User Says Thank You to SkizeR For This Useful Post:
PickleSlice (1 Hour Ago)
Old 1 Hour Ago   #125

Rep Power: 27 PickleSlice will become famous soon enoughPickleSlice will become famous soon enoughPickleSlice will become famous soon enoughPickleSlice will become famous soon enoughPickleSlice will become famous soon enoughPickleSlice will become famous soon enough

Quote:
noico is rebranded from SPT silver. that was tested.
I did not know this, thank you!

:EDIT:

Hey, it works. Not as good as the more expensive CLD, but it definitely works.

https://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum...2-post375.html

2018 Nissan Frontier | JVC KW-740BT | Active front stage - Alpine S-S69C, Sound Ordnance M75-4 | All Knu Konceptz OFC wiring | Not yet installed - Sundown Audio E8 v5 x2, NVX BDA7501
Photo Album

Last edited by PickleSlice; 1 Hour Ago at 09:23 AM..
PickleSlice is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement