Old 4 Weeks Ago   #126
Upgrade Your Membership!

Prisoner

12V Company:
Apicella Auto Sound
Position:
Janitor

Thanked 1,578 Times in 1,095 Posts
Rep Power: 440 SkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond reputeSkizeR has a reputation beyond repute

Default Re: CLD Testing

Quote:
Originally Posted by PickleSlice View Post
I did not know this, thank you!
Personally, I would use less of a better product. Itll most likely cost less in the long run and require less work.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

SkizeR is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to SkizeR For This Useful Post:
PickleSlice (4 Weeks Ago)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 3 Days Ago   #127

Rep Power: 3 St7_77 will become famous soon enoughSt7_77 will become famous soon enoughSt7_77 will become famous soon enoughSt7_77 will become famous soon enoughSt7_77 will become famous soon enoughSt7_77 will become famous soon enough

Nick / Chris, I know the results of the last test were that 25% coverage did the bulk of the deadening, at least CLD wise. I also feel like I read a post somewhere by one of you that said that either full sheets or separate/unconnected/(overlapping or not?) pieces were more effective? Ringing any bells?

I'm new to this and wondering how much to use / whether to combine with other products (like CCF, MLV, melanine foam - the SDS site approach).

I'm also wondering if those "full car" kits of dynamat xtreme are bogus advertising? They're like $150 and I'm guessing we wouldn't be talking prices much if that were the total cost of dampening a car.

Btw, super pumped for the new tests. Any idea when those might be underway? Are you just waiting on that last $50?
St7_77 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 2 Days Ago   #128
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 143 TOOSTUBBORN2FAIL is a name known to allTOOSTUBBORN2FAIL is a name known to allTOOSTUBBORN2FAIL is a name known to allTOOSTUBBORN2FAIL is a name known to allTOOSTUBBORN2FAIL is a name known to allTOOSTUBBORN2FAIL is a name known to allTOOSTUBBORN2FAIL is a name known to allTOOSTUBBORN2FAIL is a name known to allTOOSTUBBORN2FAIL is a name known to allTOOSTUBBORN2FAIL is a name known to allTOOSTUBBORN2FAIL is a name known to all

1 - Returns do diminish after 25%, how much you should use depends on how severe the resonance issues are in your car. Full sheets are definitely better than the same coverage with smaller pieces.

SDS approach is definitely the best bet for overall noise control.

You can probably do a majority of the vibration damping for $150 or so on some of the smallest cars. Entirely dependent on the number and size of the resonant panels in each car.

I'm definitely not waiting for the last $50. I have been delayed a little though.

Essentially I lost my job last year in July. It was a big ordeal, lawyers were involved, the union was involved, eventually I got the termination off my record and got my retirement and unemployment back. In the meantime, I started working as a notary, got a part time job at USPS, and was delivering for postmates to try to pay the bills. But, things didn't pick up as quickly as I needed, and no one was replying to my applications for full time work. Got to the point we had to borrow from family to keep our house. USPS finally opened a full time job, and I jumped on it, but I've been in training the last few weeks out of town, so I haven't had time to work on anything for those weeks. I'm actually leaving now for my last day of training.

So, I want to apologize. The testing is coming, it just got delayed a couple of weeks. I have 95% of what I need to get it going, and the funds to get what I don't have. Most of the money that is left was to be used to purchase products to test.

98 Dodge Neon Meca Extreme Class Build
https://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/...-timer-sq.html
TOOSTUBBORN2FAIL is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TOOSTUBBORN2FAIL For This Useful Post:
DejaWiz (1 Day Ago), dumdum (2 Days Ago), rton20s (2 Days Ago)

Old 2 Days Ago   #129
DIYMA 500 Club

Slowpoke

Rep Power: 57 rob feature will become famous soon enoughrob feature will become famous soon enoughrob feature will become famous soon enoughrob feature will become famous soon enoughrob feature will become famous soon enoughrob feature will become famous soon enough

M'eh on the delay. Congrats on landing the job!
rob feature is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 2 Days Ago   #130

Rep Power: 8 OldNewbie will become famous soon enoughOldNewbie will become famous soon enoughOldNewbie will become famous soon enoughOldNewbie will become famous soon enoughOldNewbie will become famous soon enoughOldNewbie will become famous soon enough

I hope the new job goes well. I know USPS has a lot of rules to be followed. Good luck!
OldNewbie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 2 Days Ago   #131
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 143 TOOSTUBBORN2FAIL is a name known to allTOOSTUBBORN2FAIL is a name known to allTOOSTUBBORN2FAIL is a name known to allTOOSTUBBORN2FAIL is a name known to allTOOSTUBBORN2FAIL is a name known to allTOOSTUBBORN2FAIL is a name known to allTOOSTUBBORN2FAIL is a name known to allTOOSTUBBORN2FAIL is a name known to allTOOSTUBBORN2FAIL is a name known to allTOOSTUBBORN2FAIL is a name known to allTOOSTUBBORN2FAIL is a name known to all

Thanks guys. Ill find out when my OJI starts today, today is the last day of academy. Literally just pulled in to the facility. If OJI doesnt start this weekend, I'll get a lot done on the rig. If not, I'll get it done as I can. As a CCA, I'm on call 12 hours a day, 7 days a week, but, they arent supposed to work me more than 7 days straight (or they have to pay me double time).
TOOSTUBBORN2FAIL is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 2 Days Ago   #132

Rep Power: 3 St7_77 will become famous soon enoughSt7_77 will become famous soon enoughSt7_77 will become famous soon enoughSt7_77 will become famous soon enoughSt7_77 will become famous soon enoughSt7_77 will become famous soon enough

Before I even read your reply, just want to say, tons of respect and appreciation for the testing.
Old 2 Days Ago   #133

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOOSTUBBORN2FAIL View Post
1 - Returns do diminish after 25%, how much you should use depends on how severe the resonance issues are in your car. Full sheets are definitely better than the same coverage with smaller pieces.

You can probably do a majority of the vibration damping for $150 or so on some of the smallest cars. Entirely dependent on the number and size of the resonant panels in each car.

I'm definitely not waiting for the last $50. I have been delayed a little though.

Essentially I lost my job last year in July. It was a big ordeal, lawyers were involved, the union was involved, eventually I got the termination off my record and got my retirement and unemployment back. In the meantime, I started working as a notary, got a part time job at USPS, and was delivering for postmates to try to pay the bills. But, things didn't pick up as quickly as I needed, and no one was replying to my applications for full time work. Got to the point we had to borrow from family to keep our house. USPS finally opened a full time job, and I jumped on it, but I've been in training the last few weeks out of town, so I haven't had time to work on anything for those weeks. I'm actually leaving now for my last day of training.

So, I want to apologize. The testing is coming, it just got delayed a couple of weeks. I have 95% of what I need to get it going, and the funds to get what I don't have. Most of the money that is left was to be used to purchase products to test.
No need to apologize. Youíre above and beyond what most of the rest of us are doing for this forum/community.

SDS is best but no longer available, correct? So for now itís dynamat extreme (or maybe kolossus? Have to check availability) until the new testing is out? ... I have a 2010 Accord V6. Not the smallest car, also not the most cheaply assembled per say. Wouldnít say itís on the extremely noisy end (but Iím also newb to car audio).
Old 2 Days Ago   #134
Upgrade Your Membership!

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 354 rton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by St7_77 View Post
No need to apologize. Youíre above and beyond what most of the rest of us are doing for this forum/community.

SDS is best but no longer available, correct? So for now itís dynamat extreme (or maybe kolossus? Have to check availability) until the new testing is out? ... I have a 2010 Accord V6. Not the smallest car, also not the most cheaply assembled per say. Wouldnít say itís on the extremely noisy end (but Iím also newb to car audio).
From the old testing, yes. I would probably go with either of those two. Though, Kolossus is more likely to fail (not that it will) in areas with high temperatures.

You might also consider Resonix. It hasn't been tested yet, but I've been talking with Nick throughout his process of developing the brand/selecting products and rolling the dice on his new CLD is likely a risk I would be willing to take.

Pioneer DEH-80PRS | Helix DSP.2 | Zapco Z-150.6 AP + Z-400.2 AP (x2) | Illusion TL 25 BN | Illusion C5 | Raven 10XL (x2)
2015 MECA SQL Street | 2017 & 2018 MECA Modex California State Champion
Sonic Electronix Discount Code: hutsell
rton20s is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to rton20s For This Useful Post:
St7_77 (2 Days Ago)
Old 2 Days Ago   #135

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOOSTUBBORN2FAIL View Post

The combination of 25% with full sheets better than smaller pieces does pose a quandary, ha. Seems if we start w/ 25% and then decide to go further, the result would be broken up sheets. #life
Old 2 Days Ago   #136
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 947 fourthmeal has a reputation beyond reputefourthmeal has a reputation beyond reputefourthmeal has a reputation beyond reputefourthmeal has a reputation beyond reputefourthmeal has a reputation beyond reputefourthmeal has a reputation beyond reputefourthmeal has a reputation beyond reputefourthmeal has a reputation beyond reputefourthmeal has a reputation beyond reputefourthmeal has a reputation beyond reputefourthmeal has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by rton20s View Post
From the old testing, yes. I would probably go with either of those two. Though, Kolossus is more likely to fail (not that it will) in areas with high temperatures.

You might also consider Resonix. It hasn't been tested yet, but I've been talking with Nick throughout his process of developing the brand/selecting products and rolling the dice on his new CLD is likely a risk I would be willing to take.

I will vouch for Kolossus and say that temps are NOT going to be a concern with that product. I'm in Vegas, it gets hot as balls here, and I've put Knu in most of my builds for years now. I've even installed the stuff on the underside of a panel (so, exposed to the elements and exhaust heat) in the case of a trunk floor on a Durango, and 3 years later it looks exactly like it did prior.

That said:

I like Nick, I like what he does for us, and my next CLD purchase will probably be his product just because he's a cool dude and he gets my support. And he has nice foams coming so that's something Knu never focused on.

Special thanks to all of the industry experts that share their knowledge here on the forum
2015 Durango R/T, MS-8, Massive N3, set of NX4's, Audiofrog GS690 and GS10, Wavecor center, Sundown SD3 10's
2018 WRX, Helix V Eight and G-One, AD W600, AP AR3 & AR20, AE AV10H-D2
fourthmeal is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to fourthmeal For This Useful Post:
SkizeR (2 Days Ago), zapps (2 Days Ago)
Old 2 Days Ago   #137
Upgrade Your Membership!

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 354 rton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourthmeal View Post
I will vouch for Kolossus and say that temps are NOT going to be a concern with that product. I'm in Vegas, it gets hot as balls here, and I've put Knu in most of my builds for years now. I've even installed the stuff on the underside of a panel (so, exposed to the elements and exhaust heat) in the case of a trunk floor on a Durango, and 3 years later it looks exactly like it did prior.

That said:

I like Nick, I like what he does for us, and my next CLD purchase will probably be his product just because he's a cool dude and he gets my support. And he has nice foams coming so that's something Knu never focused on.
I'm pretty sure we've discussed the Kolossus issue before. I know you've had great results with it, and I have it in my own car. Beyond Chris' own heat testing, when you see him refer to knowing of a failure, he is referring to me. I had one piece fall off in one of my doors. It was a fairly narrow strip applied to the plastic door card, if I recall correctly. (It has been a while.)

Everything else seem solid 4+ years later. I guess I'll find out if I have any other issued next time I need to get into my doors or behind some panels.

For what it is worth, I still have a stack of Kolossus in my garage. I'll likely finish it off before I order anything new.

Pioneer DEH-80PRS | Helix DSP.2 | Zapco Z-150.6 AP + Z-400.2 AP (x2) | Illusion TL 25 BN | Illusion C5 | Raven 10XL (x2)
2015 MECA SQL Street | 2017 & 2018 MECA Modex California State Champion
Sonic Electronix Discount Code: hutsell
rton20s is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement