Short Dayton DSP-408 Review - Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-20-2019   #1
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 176 mfenske will become famous soon enoughmfenske will become famous soon enoughmfenske will become famous soon enoughmfenske will become famous soon enoughmfenske will become famous soon enoughmfenske will become famous soon enough

Default Short Dayton DSP-408 Review

After my PPI DSP-88r decided to puke out on me I picked up a MiniDSP 2x4 (thanks JSCoyne) and while it worked pretty well I wasn't happy with how sensitive to levels it was and since I had a few extra buck in my Paypal I picked up the Dayton on eBay.

Install was straightforward and like any other DSP I've ever used. I'm feeding it a signal from an Audio Control LC2i which is fed from the factory Honda radio because the OEM starts clipping around 26 (of 40) and even at that point it seems too much for most processors. I've adjusted the output of the LC2i so that it's not clipping the input of the processor.

The software is easy enough to use once you learn how to link channels. I used the measurements that I'd previously used with my PPI unit and I have to say that it sounds really good! I've done ZERO EQ tuning only TA and Xover. Noise floor is practically non-existent, turns on and off silently, and the wired remote works well enough.

For $150 it's a great unit. Would recommend!

2019 Micro Blue Pearl Kia Stinger GT1 AWD-OEM Harmon/Kardon system

2015 Taffeta White Honda Pilot SE 4WD- OEM Source, MiniDSP C 6to 8, Boston Acoustics RC61 Midrange, LPG-26NA Tweeters, Pioneer GM-D8604 Amplifier, Audiopipe APCLE-15001D Amplifier, and NVX VCW-152 subwoofer
mfenske is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mfenske For This Useful Post:
GreatLaBroski (06-20-2019), No ConeSS (06-26-2019)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-13-2019   #2
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 139 kizz will become famous soon enoughkizz will become famous soon enoughkizz will become famous soon enoughkizz will become famous soon enoughkizz will become famous soon enoughkizz will become famous soon enough

Default Re: Short Dayton DSP-408 Review

You have anymore detailed updates on this unit? Looking to possibly order it this weekend. Did you try the bluetooth dongle? Can you control volume through hu without the wired remote?

Alpine HU, Alpine H800
Sinfoni Solo AD-LIB powering Sinfoni Eroico M series
Arc Audio XDI 1100.1 powering IDMAX 12

Car...sounds...awesome!!!
kizz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-13-2019   #3
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 176 mfenske will become famous soon enoughmfenske will become famous soon enoughmfenske will become famous soon enoughmfenske will become famous soon enoughmfenske will become famous soon enoughmfenske will become famous soon enough

I've not used the BT dongle. I have the volume set at 50 on the remote and it's just left in my center console and the volume is controlled by my head unit. Works pretty well that way.

I'm actually selling mine because I really want to play with the MiniDSP 6x8 unit and it's auto EQ functions (I buy and sell gear a lot). My car has probably never sounded better (at least DIY'ing it) than it has with this processor.

2015 Taffeta White Honda Pilot SE 4WD- OEM Source, MiniDSP C 6to 8, Boston Acoustics RC61 Midrange, LPG-26NA Tweeters, Pioneer GM-D8604 Amplifier, Audiopipe APCLE-15001D Amplifier, and NVX VCW-152 subwoofer

Old 08-20-2019   #4
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 136 Mike-G will become famous soon enoughMike-G will become famous soon enoughMike-G will become famous soon enoughMike-G will become famous soon enoughMike-G will become famous soon enoughMike-G will become famous soon enough

They have Open Box Untis for $70 right now. Just ordered one.
Mike-G is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-20-2019   #5

Rep Power: 25 cycleguy will become famous soon enoughcycleguy will become famous soon enoughcycleguy will become famous soon enoughcycleguy will become famous soon enoughcycleguy will become famous soon enoughcycleguy will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by kizz View Post
You have anymore detailed updates on this unit? Looking to possibly order it this weekend. Did you try the bluetooth dongle? Can you control volume through hu without the wired remote?
If your factory H/unit has bluetooth the answer is yes
cycleguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-20-2019   #6
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 166 beerdrnkr will become famous soon enoughbeerdrnkr will become famous soon enoughbeerdrnkr will become famous soon enoughbeerdrnkr will become famous soon enoughbeerdrnkr will become famous soon enoughbeerdrnkr will become famous soon enough

Just picked one up and hoping to install it soon. With the Bluetooth you can tune with an Android tablet correct?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
beerdrnkr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-20-2019   #7
DIYMA 500 Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerdrnkr View Post
Just picked one up and hoping to install it soon. With the Bluetooth you can tune with an Android tablet correct?

I don't have the BT module but as I understand it you can.

Old 08-20-2019   #8

Rep Power: 0 soco_canyon will become famous soon enoughsoco_canyon will become famous soon enoughsoco_canyon will become famous soon enoughsoco_canyon will become famous soon enoughsoco_canyon will become famous soon enoughsoco_canyon will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerdrnkr View Post

I've been able to connect with my android phone and tune it but so far I haven't been able to get my chromebook to connect. I'm probably doing something wrong.
soco_canyon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-21-2019   #9

Rep Power: 44 hankhowdy1 will become famous soon enoughhankhowdy1 will become famous soon enoughhankhowdy1 will become famous soon enoughhankhowdy1 will become famous soon enoughhankhowdy1 will become famous soon enoughhankhowdy1 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike-G View Post
They have Open Box Untis for $70 right now. Just ordered one.

There are open box Dayton 408s for $70? Where?!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
hankhowdy1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-22-2019   #10
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 136 Mike-G will become famous soon enoughMike-G will become famous soon enoughMike-G will become famous soon enoughMike-G will become famous soon enoughMike-G will become famous soon enoughMike-G will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by hankhowdy1 View Post
There are open box Dayton 408s for $70? Where?!

https://www.parts-express.com/restoc...io--88-230-500
The Following User Says Thank You to Mike-G For This Useful Post:
Boostedrex (08-23-2019)
Old 08-22-2019   #11

Rep Power: 44 hankhowdy1 will become famous soon enoughhankhowdy1 will become famous soon enoughhankhowdy1 will become famous soon enoughhankhowdy1 will become famous soon enoughhankhowdy1 will become famous soon enoughhankhowdy1 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike-G View Post

Oh well, it’s no longer available.

hankhowdy1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-22-2019   #12
DIYMA 500 Club

Sorry. I picked one up the other day and it showed available earlier this morning.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
Old 08-22-2019   #13
DIYMA 500 Club

Looks like you've got to be on the site at the right moment for those. Noticing the same thing with the UMM-6

Old 09-24-2019   #14
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 176 Jroo will become famous soon enoughJroo will become famous soon enoughJroo will become famous soon enoughJroo will become famous soon enoughJroo will become famous soon enoughJroo will become famous soon enough

It looks like the 70 buck Daytons are back in stock for those looking
Jroo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-24-2019   #15

Rep Power: 16 javcolin will become famous soon enoughjavcolin will become famous soon enoughjavcolin will become famous soon enoughjavcolin will become famous soon enoughjavcolin will become famous soon enoughjavcolin will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jroo View Post
It looks like the 70 buck Daytons are back in stock for those looking
Confirmed they are back that is a great price indeed.
javcolin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-24-2019   #16

Rep Power: 8 jtrosky will become famous soon enoughjtrosky will become famous soon enoughjtrosky will become famous soon enoughjtrosky will become famous soon enoughjtrosky will become famous soon enoughjtrosky will become famous soon enough

Thanks for the heads-up - for $70, it's hard to pass up. I think they are already down to 1 left in stock - so if you want one, better grab it quick!

For that price, I'll just use it for a learning tool for now - and may eventually replace my DSR-1 with it (would also need a $250 Pac Audio AmpPro 4 as well to replace the DSR-1).

EDIT: Never mind - now they are out of stock again (minutes after I posted this)...
jtrosky is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement