MiniDSP C-DSP 8x12 with Dirac Live - Page 3 - Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-23-2019   #51
DIYMA 500 Club

Hillbilly

Rep Power: 138 Sonnie will become famous soon enoughSonnie will become famous soon enoughSonnie will become famous soon enoughSonnie will become famous soon enoughSonnie will become famous soon enoughSonnie will become famous soon enough

Default Re: MiniDSP C-DSP 8x12 with Dirac Live

Quote:
Originally Posted by naiku View Post
So, I tried a tune like this with simply L/R with the subwoofer mixed in, on this tune I am not using bass management. The results are good, on previous tunes I always found the sub-bass lacking, but this way it is not lacking at all and (to my ears at least) is blending really nicely with the mid-bass and is now right up on the dash. If you have time and a spare preset it's well worth a try of just L/R.

My other favorite tune I am running has the subwoofer separate, but on this particular tune the subwoofer level is a touch too low for my preference. With almost all of my previous tunes I found the subwoofer level lower than I would like. I need to do some more back to back comparisons between the two to determine which I really prefer though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ErinH View Post
I had better luck combining the sub in to channels left and right and running DL in 2 channel mode; not 3 channel. But, YMMV.
I will definitely try it... and would not mind at all if it turned out better, because it is pretty good right now.

This is from my drivers seat... dead center of my head... 1/6th smoothing. All of my DL measurements were right around were my head is... with the first being dead center of head.

Sonnie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to Sonnie For This Useful Post:
naiku (08-23-2019)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-23-2019   #52

Enthusiast

12V Company:
FC -NCO-COL
Position:
MECP advanced certified,

Rep Power: 101 oabeieo will become famous soon enoughoabeieo will become famous soon enoughoabeieo will become famous soon enoughoabeieo will become famous soon enoughoabeieo will become famous soon enoughoabeieo will become famous soon enoughoabeieo will become famous soon enough

Lately Iíve been doing the rear measurements
About 6Ē apart top to bottom, at top my shoulders with mic pointing out from my ears and at top of my ears and directly touching my head

The outermost forward measurements at my knees and the top ones R in passenger seat and L about 6Ē in front of my 1st measurement point. (Parallels)
And the 1st measurement at my nose.

I likeee so far.

Having the rear measurements pulled a little tighter seems to get whatís going on at my ears more true to the target and what the avg shows compared to my moving mic RTA

So far so good, my target seems to be easier to deal with and I have nice smooth curve that sounds good

im so in love with my speakers I found a song I sing to them

https://youtu.be/VgU6LXY-AjI
oabeieo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-24-2019   #53

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 98 Jscoyne2 has a spectacular aura aboutJscoyne2 has a spectacular aura aboutJscoyne2 has a spectacular aura aboutJscoyne2 has a spectacular aura aboutJscoyne2 has a spectacular aura aboutJscoyne2 has a spectacular aura aboutJscoyne2 has a spectacular aura aboutJscoyne2 has a spectacular aura about

Do you think its bad to use peqs after dirac?

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk
Jscoyne2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2019   #54

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 98 Jscoyne2 has a spectacular aura aboutJscoyne2 has a spectacular aura aboutJscoyne2 has a spectacular aura aboutJscoyne2 has a spectacular aura aboutJscoyne2 has a spectacular aura aboutJscoyne2 has a spectacular aura aboutJscoyne2 has a spectacular aura aboutJscoyne2 has a spectacular aura about

Also. I 2nd the wisdom curve. I like it

Jscoyne2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-24-2019   #55
Upgrade Your Membership!

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 151 subterFUSE will become famous soon enoughsubterFUSE will become famous soon enoughsubterFUSE will become famous soon enoughsubterFUSE will become famous soon enoughsubterFUSE will become famous soon enoughsubterFUSE will become famous soon enoughsubterFUSE will become famous soon enoughsubterFUSE will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jscoyne2 View Post

No, but in the interest of getting a repeatable process it is best to work on the target and eventually you should have a target that gets you what you want one the first try.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2013 Audi S6 Quattro
2nd Place IASCA Pro/Am @ 2015 Finals
2nd Place MECA Modified @ 2015 Finals
1st Place MECA Modified @ 2016 SBN
subterFUSE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to subterFUSE For This Useful Post:
ErinH (08-24-2019), Truthunter (08-25-2019)
Old 08-24-2019   #56
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 196 bertholomey is a jewel in the roughbertholomey is a jewel in the roughbertholomey is a jewel in the roughbertholomey is a jewel in the roughbertholomey is a jewel in the roughbertholomey is a jewel in the roughbertholomey is a jewel in the roughbertholomey is a jewel in the roughbertholomey is a jewel in the roughbertholomey is a jewel in the roughbertholomey is a jewel in the rough

Would it hold true that if your pre-tune is decent - when you get to an event that is quite different than the area you last ran Dirac - you could simply run Dirac at the event location under a new preset?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

בטח אני בא בקרוב, אף על פי כן, בא מהר לורד ישוע
bertholomey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-24-2019   #57

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 97 DavidRam will become famous soon enoughDavidRam will become famous soon enoughDavidRam will become famous soon enoughDavidRam will become famous soon enoughDavidRam will become famous soon enoughDavidRam will become famous soon enoughDavidRam will become famous soon enough

Man, I gotta stop reading these Dirac threads, it's making me regret my recent switch to a Helix.

2018 Jeep GC - AF GB10s, GB25s, GS690s, Zapco & Mosconi amps, (2) AF GB12s, Helix Pro MK2 & Director, Fiio X5
My wife was furious when she overheard me say I want to do a 3 way in my Jeep
DavidRam is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-24-2019   #58

Rep Power: 14 saltyone will become famous soon enoughsaltyone will become famous soon enoughsaltyone will become famous soon enoughsaltyone will become famous soon enoughsaltyone will become famous soon enoughsaltyone will become famous soon enough

I wonder if MECA will address Dirac Live specifically in their rules. Any DSP running it would already bump you to Street, but should this “tool” bump someone higher than Street? Maybe? It appears to be a game changer.

saltyone is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-24-2019   #59

Bikinpunk

Thanked 1,527 Times in 668 Posts
Rep Power: 26024 ErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond repute

Send a message via AIM to ErinH

Quote:
Originally Posted by bertholomey View Post
Would it hold true that if your pre-tune is decent - when you get to an event that is quite different than the area you last ran Dirac - you could simply run Dirac at the event location under a new preset?

Well, if you subscribe to the school of thought that you do need to change your setup due to different venues and you're insistent upon a pre-tune being necessary then it would make sense to me that you would need to do the whole process over again. Including time.

However, I don't think either is necessary, and certainly not adjusting for time since it's all relative. I think the issue isn't that the system changes but that our hearing is effected (for example, I've seen many cases where the drive/flight to finals has caused issues with people's sinuses which impacts their hearing). But, let's say you subscribe to those schools of thought... at the least, you could probably "get away with" just using the 2nd step of re-running DL to correct for your any atmospheric effects.

Time Delay Calculator:
http://tracerite.com/calc.html

Last edited by ErinH; 08-24-2019 at 01:51 PM..
ErinH is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to ErinH For This Useful Post:
oabeieo (08-24-2019)
Old 08-24-2019   #60

Enthusiast

12V Company:
FC -NCO-COL
Position:
MECP advanced certified,

Rep Power: 101 oabeieo will become famous soon enoughoabeieo will become famous soon enoughoabeieo will become famous soon enoughoabeieo will become famous soon enoughoabeieo will become famous soon enoughoabeieo will become famous soon enoughoabeieo will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jscoyne2 View Post

I do it changes the way it makes the timing on everything

Not so much in the highs as the lows .

You can hear everything in balance and add peq seems to alter the balance

If you want to turn something up or down use the target it will have better coherency between frequency and time , although you can do whatever you want if you think itís better and then go for it but I think it sounds better to just shake or target and get your pre-tune nailed down

Last edited by oabeieo; 08-24-2019 at 02:04 PM..
Old 08-24-2019   #61

Enthusiast

12V Company:
FC -NCO-COL
Position:
MECP advanced certified,

Quote:
Well, if you subscribe to the school of thought that you do need to change your setup due to different venues and you're insistent upon a pre-tune being necessary then it would make sense to me that you would need to do the whole process over again. Including time.

However, I don't think either is necessary, and certainly not adjusting for time since it's all relative. I think the issue isn't that the system changes but that our hearing is effected (for example, I've seen many cases where the drive/flight to finals has caused issues with people's sinuses). But, let's say you subscribe to those schools of thought... at the least, you could probably "get away with" just using the 2nd step of re-running DL to correct for your any atmospheric effects.

I agree with Erin.

Although I have driven to California from Colorado and had substantially more midbass itís was about 3db , although everything seems to change together
And the balance wasnít diminished in any way. But thatís a 5000ft drop in altitude. The mids and highs sounded the exact same.

It should sound mostly the same everywhere. I donít think itís quite enough to do a entire retune but depends how your system reacts (to farther the above)
If it were me I wouldnít think itís warranted

Old 08-24-2019   #62
Upgrade Your Membership!

Rep Power: 48 Bnlcmbcar will become famous soon enoughBnlcmbcar will become famous soon enoughBnlcmbcar will become famous soon enoughBnlcmbcar will become famous soon enoughBnlcmbcar will become famous soon enoughBnlcmbcar will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidRam View Post
Man, I gotta stop reading these Dirac threads, it's making me regret my recent switch to a Helix.
Put a DDRC 22D in front of the digital input of the Helix and you can have a ďMasterĒ Stereo L and R Dirac Live calibration.
Bnlcmbcar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-24-2019   #63

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 97 DavidRam will become famous soon enoughDavidRam will become famous soon enoughDavidRam will become famous soon enoughDavidRam will become famous soon enoughDavidRam will become famous soon enoughDavidRam will become famous soon enoughDavidRam will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bnlcmbcar View Post
Put a DDRC 22D in front of the digital input of the Helix and you can have a ďMasterĒ Stereo L and R Dirac Live calibration.
I have no clue what that is or means, but Imna check it out! Ty

2018 Jeep GC - AF GB10s, GB25s, GS690s, Zapco & Mosconi amps, (2) AF GB12s, Helix Pro MK2 & Director, Fiio X5
My wife was furious when she overheard me say I want to do a 3 way in my Jeep
DavidRam is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-24-2019   #64
Upgrade Your Membership!

Rep Power: 48 Bnlcmbcar will become famous soon enoughBnlcmbcar will become famous soon enoughBnlcmbcar will become famous soon enoughBnlcmbcar will become famous soon enoughBnlcmbcar will become famous soon enoughBnlcmbcar will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidRam View Post
I have no clue what that is or means, but Imna check it out! Ty
Its a miniDSP Dirac Live product that performs Stereo Dirac Live Calibration in the digital domain. In your case the Helix DSP would act as the channel XO, channel matrix, and bass management.
Bnlcmbcar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to Bnlcmbcar For This Useful Post:
DavidRam (08-24-2019)
Old 08-24-2019   #65

Enthusiast

12V Company:
FC -NCO-COL
Position:
MECP advanced certified,

I have two cdspDL units
And I prefer the ddrc in front of my dsps

Itís the same thing but itís works beautifully.

So no worries you wonít miss anything

Old 08-27-2019   #66

Enthusiast

12V Company:
FC -NCO-COL
Position:
MECP advanced certified,

Quote:

Did you see your review was posted in the newsletter.

Very cool

The Following User Says Thank You to oabeieo For This Useful Post:
ErinH (08-28-2019)
Old 08-28-2019   #67
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 131 tonynca will become famous soon enoughtonynca will become famous soon enoughtonynca will become famous soon enoughtonynca will become famous soon enoughtonynca will become famous soon enoughtonynca will become famous soon enough

Default MiniDSP C-DSP 8x12 with Dirac Live

You're famous Erin. Minidsp newsletter

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Clarion NX807, Audison Bit One HD, Audison Voce 5.1k HD, Audison Voce Quattro HD, Focal Utopia M 3-way (TBM, 3.5WM, 6WM), Dynaudio Esotar 1200
tonynca is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to tonynca For This Useful Post:
ErinH (08-28-2019)
Old 08-28-2019   #68

Bikinpunk

Thanked 1,527 Times in 668 Posts
Rep Power: 26024 ErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond repute

Send a message via AIM to ErinH

Time Delay Calculator:
http://tracerite.com/calc.html

Last edited by ErinH; 08-28-2019 at 07:23 AM..
ErinH is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-28-2019   #69
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 196 bertholomey is a jewel in the roughbertholomey is a jewel in the roughbertholomey is a jewel in the roughbertholomey is a jewel in the roughbertholomey is a jewel in the roughbertholomey is a jewel in the roughbertholomey is a jewel in the roughbertholomey is a jewel in the roughbertholomey is a jewel in the roughbertholomey is a jewel in the roughbertholomey is a jewel in the rough

Has anyone experienced a 50% drop in volume once you applied Dirac to a configuration?

Set up a configuration - pre-tune in the plug-in - @ 15/34 on the head unit gave 72 db with correlated PN.

After Dirac with same configuration -with either Dirac Live on or off - gives 57db @ 15/34. It has to be turned up to 34/34 to get 72db.

I just went into the Routing page and bumped the outputs to + 5db which yields 62db @ 15/34 and + 8db yields 65db @ 15/34 and 82db @ 34/34.

It just seems like the volume is throttled at 50%. With the plug in connected - I changed the Master Volume (at top right) to 0db - it was defaulted to -47db after running Dirac.......which at 34/34 it was barely audible.

Is there a tick box that needs to be unticked or vice versa that I'm missing somewhere? I currently don't have the wired remote connected - I'll get the cable hopefully in the next couple days to see if that has any affect.

My pre-set #3 (mirror of config 1 just with slightly different TA for driving position) didn't have Dirac run on it, and it is very loud at 15/34.

Old 08-28-2019   #70
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 165 naiku will become famous soon enoughnaiku will become famous soon enoughnaiku will become famous soon enoughnaiku will become famous soon enoughnaiku will become famous soon enoughnaiku will become famous soon enoughnaiku will become famous soon enough

Wait, I thought you had a Helix?

Anyway, I am not sure if my volume dropped by 50% but yes I definitely find that Dirac can end up cutting volume. If you look in the other C-DSP thread that Andy (oabeieo) created there is some discussion about it in there. A lot of it boils down to where your chosen curve is in relation to your measurements. I usually end up doing the same as you and bumping the levels to 5dB on the routing tab, not ideal, but it at least gets me volume back to where I am happy.

Also, does this mean there will be 3 x MiniDSP Dirac powered cars at my meet next month? Going to be really cool to listen to everyone's tunes.

Some old luggage

naiku is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-28-2019   #71
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

I do have the Helix - Iím evaluating the MiniDSP to see if it will work in my set up - thanks for letting me know that this was mentioned in the other thread - Iíll do a search. And to answer your question.....maybe......

The Following User Says Thank You to bertholomey For This Useful Post:
naiku (08-28-2019)
Old 08-28-2019   #72
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 165 naiku will become famous soon enoughnaiku will become famous soon enoughnaiku will become famous soon enoughnaiku will become famous soon enoughnaiku will become famous soon enoughnaiku will become famous soon enoughnaiku will become famous soon enough

Well worth reading through the other thread as well as one on the MiniDSP forum, they both have a good chunk of information from those of us who are trying to figure out the best way to utilize the DL version.

Some old luggage

naiku is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-28-2019   #73
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Iíve been reading that one for about a month - and I need to jump on the forum site as well - thanks for that reminder.

Old 08-28-2019   #74

Rep Power: 89 dgage will become famous soon enoughdgage will become famous soon enoughdgage will become famous soon enoughdgage will become famous soon enoughdgage will become famous soon enoughdgage will become famous soon enough

I seem to remember reading about more people with output or sub output issues when using more than 2 DIRAC channels. It seems like the software works better with a 2-channel tune (L/R) with the sub output getting 50%L and 50%R.
dgage is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to dgage For This Useful Post:
GreatLaBroski (08-28-2019)
Old 08-29-2019   #75
Upgrade Your Membership!

Rep Power: 171 banshee28 will become famous soon enoughbanshee28 will become famous soon enoughbanshee28 will become famous soon enoughbanshee28 will become famous soon enoughbanshee28 will become famous soon enoughbanshee28 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Foreword:

So a few questions... I am somewhat familiar with the REW technique to measure the FR and work to get the auto-eq correction files. Normally you would setup your target response curve at or around the average and mostly cut the peaks vs booting (for the most part).

So here with Dirac it looks like the target is much above the "average" in the low FR say 0-100Hz. If this is the case, does Dirac simply boost these fr's, or i hope it simply first boosts the gain on the channels then mostly cuts as needed as one would do using REW?

Or do we need to be more careful and ensure the gain on each channel (i.e. SUB here) is at a good level first before running Dirac on everything?
banshee28 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement