MiniDSP C-DSP 8x12 with Dirac Live - Page 5 - Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #101

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 96 Jscoyne2 has a spectacular aura aboutJscoyne2 has a spectacular aura aboutJscoyne2 has a spectacular aura aboutJscoyne2 has a spectacular aura aboutJscoyne2 has a spectacular aura aboutJscoyne2 has a spectacular aura aboutJscoyne2 has a spectacular aura aboutJscoyne2 has a spectacular aura about

Default Re: MiniDSP C-DSP 8x12 with Dirac Live

Quote:
Originally Posted by oabeieo View Post
HAHAHA. got bit by the HLCD madness.

How does one do a rew sweep with Dirac (completely different platforms)

.......okay just joking we got what you meant

But your correct , the Stevens full-size the horn loads to 1k (Minnieís 1.25khz)

So from 1khz and up you can do whatever you want. You have more efficiency to burn than you know. They will fry the hairs off your arms if you want them to

Diaphragms should make it through one 0db sweep but they will die if they did several in a row. The coil is held to diaphragm with jet glue (I made that up) but still itís just glue
I think it might of actually been the test signal in DLCT. I just know i was like oh fuckfbisbwgxus9wsj and started pulling wires n shit. Had to turn the car off.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk
Jscoyne2 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #102

Enthusiast

12V Company:
FC -NCO-COL
Position:
MECP advanced certified,

Rep Power: 100 oabeieo will become famous soon enoughoabeieo will become famous soon enoughoabeieo will become famous soon enoughoabeieo will become famous soon enoughoabeieo will become famous soon enoughoabeieo will become famous soon enoughoabeieo will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by naiku View Post
Interesting. My midbass response in the left door looks terrible like that, and we both have very similar cars, the Skoda is newer though, but overall they are very similar VAG cars, I wonder if the door / center console / knee bolster area all are causing the response.

Agreed though, this should not be in the review thread but in the main C-DSP thread.
Yeah itís pretty common in doors

Your measurements are usually some 70deg off axis and the speaker is firing into the mouth of a big horn (footwell console underdash) on the left

Pretty normal for that side to have deep notches

Which brings up a good point that is thread related

When youíre taking your measurements Pay attention to the frequency window and look at which areas have low output (Deep notches) and compare that to the right side measurements in Dirac

As far as the 1st dip in response on (usually the left) maybe in the 55-125hz range (usually 70-80 in most cars) see if that first dip heís only on the left side and not the right (or vice versa) if so what you can do is do your normal target that fills all that for both sides than after Dirac go to the side that has the dip and on that speaker only turn down that frequency in PEQ with a Q around 1.7 by maybe 6-10db or so ,

Turn that frequency down as far as you need to so that that speaker does not pop when you turn it up loud from being boosted In Dirac.

Just a little trick to get some more overall volume ,

You can also separate the target left and right and draw a notch on that side I just like to use plain old peq tho ( because I can adjust it without having to connect to DLCT and fine-tune that area )

im so in love with my speakers I found a song I sing to them

https://youtu.be/VgU6LXY-AjI

Last edited by oabeieo; 2 Weeks Ago at 05:00 PM..
oabeieo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to oabeieo For This Useful Post:
Truthunter (2 Weeks Ago)
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #103
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 70 Truthunter will become famous soon enoughTruthunter will become famous soon enoughTruthunter will become famous soon enoughTruthunter will become famous soon enoughTruthunter will become famous soon enoughTruthunter will become famous soon enoughTruthunter will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Yeah itís pretty common in doors

Your measurements are usually some 70deg off axis and the speaker is firing into the mouth of a big horn (footwell console underdash) on the left

Pretty normal for that side to have deep notches

Which brings up a good point that is thread related

When youíre taking your measurements Pay attention to the frequency window and look at which areas have low output (Deep notches) and compare that to the right side measurements in Dirac

As far as the 1st dip in response on (usually the left) maybe in the 55-125hz range (usually 70-80 in most cars) see if that first dip heís only on the left side and not the right (or vice versa) if so what you can do is do your normal target that fills all that for both sides than after Dirac go to the side that has the dip and on that speaker only turn down that frequency in PEQ with a Q around 1.7 by maybe 6-10db or so ,

Turn that frequency down as far as you need to so that that speaker does not pop when you turn it up loud from being boosted In Dirac.

Just a little trick to get some more overall volume ,

You can also separate the target left and right and draw a notch on that side I just like to use plain old peq tho ( because I can adjust it without having to connect to DLCT and fine-tune that area )
Wouldn't it be better to separate the Dirac targets and draw a notch instead of using output PEQ?... so the phase in that area would match better left to right?

2019 IASCA North America Championship - 2nd Place Novice Class
2019 NY State Champion MECA Mod-Street
אני הדרך, האמת והחיים. אף אחד לא בא לאבא אלא דרכי - ישוע
Truthunter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #104

Enthusiast

12V Company:
FC -NCO-COL
Position:
MECP advanced certified,

Rep Power: 100 oabeieo will become famous soon enoughoabeieo will become famous soon enoughoabeieo will become famous soon enoughoabeieo will become famous soon enoughoabeieo will become famous soon enoughoabeieo will become famous soon enoughoabeieo will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truthunter View Post
Wouldn't it be better to separate the Dirac targets and draw a notch instead of using output PEQ?... so the phase in that area would match better left to right?

Yes .....it would

I may have been unclear
My bad , thanks for pointing that out. Definitely confusing

I like to use peq to find the exact frequency and depth and width to the notch I create as a means of listening while making the adjustments to that one speaker

Than go to Dirac and unlink and make the notch in that one side.
Just following the dip in the response on Dirac May or May not be whatís making it pop. For example , if you have the half the sub signal, the left mid and tweet on the left channel and the response is 10db dip at 70 and the sub starts to rolloff at 45 and your target is mildly boosting 20-44 than a cut at 45-69 than that 10db dip at 70-90 for example , how do you know for sure itís the big dip at 70 thatís making the speaker pop, maybe itís the boost under 45 ,(even tho itís crossed at 70 it still gets some of that low frequency especially if thereís boost)
So being able to listen and turn down at same time makes it faster and more precise , than go to Dirac and make the notch where you found the issue

Sorry I forgot to add that. , but hereís the thing also

If itís just my driver door at 80 I use peq on just the driver door only instead of the target (all others for all other reasons I use the target) and hereís why.
And itís only one good reason. I donít want it to affect only the left side and not right in target because than my sub I put is not same on left and right. Because I use summer sum l+r , in the case I use seperate Dirac channel for sub than I always use the target

So thereís valid reasons to do it both ways , but ideally the target is the best place to do it if you want it to affect everything on that channel

Last edited by oabeieo; 2 Weeks Ago at 10:46 PM..
Truthunter (2 Weeks Ago)
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #105

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 96 Jscoyne2 has a spectacular aura aboutJscoyne2 has a spectacular aura aboutJscoyne2 has a spectacular aura aboutJscoyne2 has a spectacular aura aboutJscoyne2 has a spectacular aura aboutJscoyne2 has a spectacular aura aboutJscoyne2 has a spectacular aura aboutJscoyne2 has a spectacular aura about

Just wanted to post my Rew measurements of post Dirac.

Drivers are Eric Stevens mb8s and horns.

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #106
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 127 aholland1198 will become famous soon enoughaholland1198 will become famous soon enoughaholland1198 will become famous soon enoughaholland1198 will become famous soon enoughaholland1198 will become famous soon enoughaholland1198 will become famous soon enough

What are everyoneís opinions on measuring in the seat vs not in the seated position?

Iím sure this has been covered in one of the replies, but Iím not searching for it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
aholland1198 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #107

Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by aholland1198 View Post
What are everyoneís opinions on measuring in the seat vs not in the seated position?

Iím sure this has been covered in one of the replies, but Iím not searching for it.

Be in the seat for measuring. Your body is causing reflections that need to be taken into account.

Imo, for the first measurement. I don't sit in the seat. I think my legs causing delay that I don't want measured.

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #108

Enthusiast

12V Company:
FC -NCO-COL
Position:
MECP advanced certified,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jscoyne2 View Post
Just wanted to post my Rew measurements of post Dirac.

Drivers are Eric Stevens mb8s and horns.

Lookin sexy dang brotha

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #109

Enthusiast

12V Company:
FC -NCO-COL
Position:
MECP advanced certified,

Quote:
Originally Posted by aholland1198 View Post

Done it both ways , very similar.

Did anyone see that jig that someone made from PVC
I saw it in Erinís build page, very innovative.

If I was doing more cars with Dirac I would probably take the time to make a jig like his, I just sit in car , I like how it accounts for my legs

Lately Iíve been leaning the seat way way back so my legs are in position but my torso is gone and I can get the rear measurements more where I want them to be.

Jsconey2 is right, the body absorbs a lot of acoustic energy , a big bag oí jello perhaps (At least my belly is lol). However getting out of the way partly seems to be best for me.

With the added measurements in 2.0 I had to get out of the way a little and it seems to be working nice.

I would definitely experiment a little in your car. Find what works.

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #110

Enthusiast

12V Company:
FC -NCO-COL
Position:
MECP advanced certified,

As to mic 🎤 placements go one thing I donít think Iíve said that maybe some
If you guys could consider.

The 1st measurement. Consider placing it about 2Ē right of center

Hereís why, staging.

Even when I was manually tuning to get good left right and center was just a matter of TA and levels. Although left of center and right of center were sometimes uneven.

I often found myself in a situation that exact TA settings make my LC and C become one. If I added a tiny bit more TA the center would come in but LC would compress a lot.

In those days I would actually do about 2Ē less TA than needed and just lean my right arm onto the console armrest and just lean over about 2Ē to get into the sweet spot.

I think thereís something to be said about that:

Level tho Dirac can change a lot of things to make this not a problem as much, I think the axxeses on which we listen get to a point where the PLD and the car side and how far you are to one side make it to where if that one or two inches was just lessened in PLD things just work so much better.

And not every car is like this. However, I think a lot of cars are.
By placing the 1st measurement point about one or two inches to the right but still staying mostly center of your body and than driving and doing the ole lean to the right side thing, it helps Dirac make a even better correction.

Driving like that is natural anyways, I usually lean on a armrest anyway most of the time.

So definitely something to consider trying. Not every car needs this and or itís getting into where your just picky and want the stage presented properly over sitting up straight.

Hope this helps someone, and hope I conveyed the point and spirit in what Iím getting at properly so that itís not to be confused and leads to improper calibration techniques. Itís a small tweak that might help or may not help.
Only one way to find out

Kalvins (2 Weeks Ago)
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #111

Rep Power: 4 chewpeg will become famous soon enoughchewpeg will become famous soon enoughchewpeg will become famous soon enoughchewpeg will become famous soon enoughchewpeg will become famous soon enoughchewpeg will become famous soon enough

Just a question on tuning here. If there is 8 Dirac channels and Iím using 9 speakers(3 front 2 rear and sub) how do you tune with the Dirac?

chewpeg is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #112

Enthusiast

12V Company:
FC -NCO-COL
Position:
MECP advanced certified,

Quote:
Originally Posted by chewpeg View Post
Just a question on tuning here. If there is 8 Dirac channels and Iím using 9 speakers(3 front 2 rear and sub) how do you tune with the Dirac?

Hi chewpeg

Ideally you would use two Dirac channels , each Dirac channel can be considered an eq , so whatís better 8eqs or two?

Traditionally a single eq for left and right is ideal. All the phase changes within the eq become inherent on all the speakers in that channel. Now Dirac does work a little different, however we should still remember itís also a eq.

I would suggest running your matrix to two or 3 Dirac channels (eqs).
Maybe put the sub on its own just till you get the hang of it, than start adding different speakers on there own eqs once you know how it operates and if you find a need to have more eqs.

Having rear speakers on there own eq is also preferred , so maybe 4 or 5 if you have rears.

You can put all the 8 first speakers on a seperate Dirac channel only to get the time delay and level settings Dirac detects that you can convert to 2ch or 4ch
As described by Erin in his review.

Overall ideally you want less Dirac channels on so it can correct more things especially in the crossover areas if you are using multi-way

If you have a center maybe share that with sub on seperate eq and pre set delays and levels accordingly.

However many Dirac channels they should all have the same target (or have a target that follows itself in sections at a minimum)

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #113

Rep Power: 4 chewpeg will become famous soon enoughchewpeg will become famous soon enoughchewpeg will become famous soon enoughchewpeg will become famous soon enoughchewpeg will become famous soon enoughchewpeg will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Hi chewpeg

Ideally you would use two Dirac channels , each Dirac channel can be considered an eq , so whatís better 8eqs or two?

Having rear speakers on there own eq is also preferred , so maybe 4 or 5 if you have rears.

You can put all the 8 first speakers on a seperate Dirac channel only to get the time delay and level settings Dirac detects that you can convert to 2ch or 4ch

As described by Erin in his review.

Overall ideally you want less Dirac channels on so it can correct more things especially in the crossover areas if you are using multi-way

However many Dirac channels they should all have the same target (or have a target that follows itself in sections at a minimum)

Thanks oabeieo,
I totally get the 1 speaker talk now. I wasnít understanding and not cause it wasnít written clearly. Lol. Thanks a lot that really helped. I have this unit installed and will be tuning in Sunday. Very exciting and nervous.
So 5 channels of Dirac it is. Lfront Rfront rrear lrear sub

The Following User Says Thank You to chewpeg For This Useful Post:
oabeieo (2 Weeks Ago)
Old 1 Week Ago   #114

Wow fired this thing up live and itís so easy to use once you learn the pattern. My first active three way and it sounds amazing. Canít wait to get more in depth. Very fun.

The Following User Says Thank You to chewpeg For This Useful Post:
oabeieo (1 Week Ago)
Old 8 Hours Ago   #115

Rep Power: 30 JamesRC will become famous soon enoughJamesRC will become famous soon enoughJamesRC will become famous soon enoughJamesRC will become famous soon enoughJamesRC will become famous soon enoughJamesRC will become famous soon enough

Thanks for this write-up, Erin. I have a Helix, but dirac live has been interesting me. Just to reiterate, you recommend leveling out the response of each driver first using EQ, then using Dirac to do the left all playing together + sub, and then the right all playing together + sub?

2011 Nissan Rogue - Sony XAV-AX200 - Helix DSP - MMATS HiFi-6150D & Zapco Z-1KD ii - Audiofrog GB60, GB25, GB10D4's - ScanSpeak d3004/6040-00
JamesRC is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 8 Hours Ago   #116

Rep Power: 21 Chris12 will become famous soon enoughChris12 will become famous soon enoughChris12 will become famous soon enoughChris12 will become famous soon enoughChris12 will become famous soon enoughChris12 will become famous soon enough

This c-DSP with Dirac Live is 100% definitely going to be my next car audio related purchase.

DDX9905s HU | MiniDSP | JL XD Amps | AE SBP15
Scan Be 3004-604010 | Esotar≤ 430 | JL ZR800
Chris12 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement