MiniDSP C-DSP 8x12 with Dirac Live - Page 9 - Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #201

Enthusiast

12V Company:
FC -NCO-COL
Position:
MECP advanced certified,

Rep Power: 101 oabeieo will become famous soon enoughoabeieo will become famous soon enoughoabeieo will become famous soon enoughoabeieo will become famous soon enoughoabeieo will become famous soon enoughoabeieo will become famous soon enoughoabeieo will become famous soon enough

Default Re: MiniDSP C-DSP 8x12 with Dirac Live

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jscoyne2 View Post
It was Oab's spaceship comment that convinced me to buy it.

It also helps to be a single childless guy with *whispers* disposable income.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

Yeah who doesnít like the thought of a mystical flying machine that can telepathically communicate with your brain. The intimate audio experience is sound being beamed Directly into your brain with no speakers.

The 8x12DL comes to mind when I think of such phenomenon. So itís fitting

im so in love with my speakers I found a song I sing to them

https://youtu.be/VgU6LXY-AjI
oabeieo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #202
Upgrade Your Membership!

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 61 Holmz will become famous soon enoughHolmz will become famous soon enoughHolmz will become famous soon enoughHolmz will become famous soon enoughHolmz will become famous soon enoughHolmz will become famous soon enoughHolmz will become famous soon enoughHolmz will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by oabeieo View Post
If you have a piece of paper 3 feet long , and thereís a line drawn extending from foot 2 to foot 3 of the paper. You than take a pair of scissors and cut off the first foot of paper. How much of the line is left? And how much of the line did you cut off? (Rhetorical)

How does a FIR filter correct a RTA program?

Rhetoric aside, Iíll try n dig up some reading material for ya ;-)
Thanks!
Holmz is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to Holmz For This Useful Post:
oabeieo (2 Weeks Ago)
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #203

Enthusiast

12V Company:
FC -NCO-COL
Position:
MECP advanced certified,

Rep Power: 101 oabeieo will become famous soon enoughoabeieo will become famous soon enoughoabeieo will become famous soon enoughoabeieo will become famous soon enoughoabeieo will become famous soon enoughoabeieo will become famous soon enoughoabeieo will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holmz View Post
Thanks!
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/f...sing-rew.7273/

Hereís one that move gets the idea
I skimmed a little through it, looks fairly decent

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #204
Upgrade Your Membership!

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 61 Holmz will become famous soon enoughHolmz will become famous soon enoughHolmz will become famous soon enoughHolmz will become famous soon enoughHolmz will become famous soon enoughHolmz will become famous soon enoughHolmz will become famous soon enoughHolmz will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by oabeieo View Post
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/f...sing-rew.7273/

Hereís one that move gets the idea
I skimmed a little through it, looks fairly decent
Thanks!

If the sound is bouncing around the room, then the gating for sample-set(N) will still pick up reflections from an earlier sample-set (N-1, or N-2...)
I think?

There is some chin scratching...

An autocorrelation should show a comb if the reflections are high.
Then the inverse of that comb could be used to remove them if the mic was fixed.
Obviously it seems like a problem with a moving mic as well as frequency geting shifted around.
[/STROKESBEARD]
Holmz is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #205

Enthusiast

12V Company:
FC -NCO-COL
Position:
MECP advanced certified,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holmz View Post
Thanks!

If the sound is bouncing around the room, then the gating for sample-set(N) will still pick up reflections from an earlier sample-set (N-1, or N-2...)
I think?

There is some chin scratching...

An autocorrelation should show a comb if the reflections are high.
Then the inverse of that comb could be used to remove them if the mic was fixed.
Obviously it seems like a problem with a moving mic as well as frequency geting shifted around.
[/STROKESBEARD]
So yes and no.... so a FDW is only valuable at frequencies worth using it on. Even close mic measurements are only good up so high as the speaker shape will interfere..etc

In the midrange and lower ish (arguably where we want the best phase response) a FDW works in the regards as a comparison. Adding FDW isnít going to show us a whole lot unless we have something to compare it against. You compare it to the un-gated responce to see the differences. Those differences will suggest what is or is not behaving in a minimum phase manner. You have to think of it like the line analogy I gave

1. The closes distance to you and the sound is the direct path.

So if you cut off the time span you will begin to see whatís happening. Itís showing more of the direct sound vs reflected sound.

If your FDW cuts off 75% (letís just say for argument) of the reflections you can see comparing it to the ungated version what is doing what. You can make a good correction based off those comparisons. Than you add the envelopment time and GD and Extract the minimum phase and remove all excess phase
You can really nail down what is happening.

Of course a close mic measurement will be faster and take far less mathematical formulae. However the algorithm Dirac seems to be using I donít think gets ďthatĒ far into it. If you can correct the big issues and get all the phase within even 22.5 degrees your ears are going to love it. You canít hear small tiny changes.

The ďsoundĒ will bounce around no matter what. That is always going to happen. A filter canít stop a reflection. It will always be there. When it comes to what sounds better , pulling the phase back so that reflections that hang around too long are now at least more in time with the rest of the spectrum, it can lend to better overall sound quality. How that reflection is addressed is where a lot of debate is. This is the brilliance of Dirac live and how it address different reflections. It doesnít try to fix everything. Itís goal is to have the transfer functions on left and right match. It may leave the reflection it may not. Whatever promotes a symmetry I think is what itís main goal is.

But originally I said, more than likely it uses FDW as a part of its information gathering to give us a correction filter as itís not having us do any close mic measurements. Some type of FDW would have to be employed to come to any conclusion about the room given its measurement taking process. I would also assume it uses many more tools to come to any conclusion.

When I was saying about the line and paper , the answer is all the line is left and none of the line was cut off. Using a FDW work basically the same way, if thereís some artifact of a previous cycle reflection in that itís anplit would be much smaller and maybe not affect it very much. It depends of the windowing you apply. Itís a bunch a math and you can get a FDW that works well for target frequency and distance from direct sound. You can get tho a pretty dang good idea what is happening in the room using a FDW. Good enough to make a sober correction that is meaningful

Edit: and no one is moving the mic . It should be stationary at each measurement point.

I was speaking of the average responce of all the measurements matching the peaks and dips of a moving mic pink noise average with plain old rta.
Again comparing . Compare your DL avg response with a manual moving mic pink noise average and see if dips and peaks in same general spot.
Find the mic positions that reflect the same peaks and dips in the averages to match. Than the calibration will have a more better tonality, and better overall FR. Better meaning more accurate.

Last edited by oabeieo; 1 Week Ago at 09:11 PM..
The Following User Says Thank You to oabeieo For This Useful Post:
Holmz (2 Weeks Ago)
Old 1 Week Ago   #206

Rep Power: 31 JamesRC will become famous soon enoughJamesRC will become famous soon enoughJamesRC will become famous soon enoughJamesRC will become famous soon enoughJamesRC will become famous soon enoughJamesRC will become famous soon enough

Hi guys. We just finished a move, so I haven't installed or setup my new unit yet. I'm hoping to do it next weekend. Before I do, I wanted to ask a preliminary question about the equipment setup.

Do I need to have an audio out from my Macbook in order to play test tones from Dirac? It sounds like Dirac plays it's own test towns in order to set itself up. Hooking up a USB mic is no problem. If I have to also set up an audio out... how are you going about doing it? Now that I think about it, I'm not even sure if my Sony head unit has a line in.

2011 Nissan Rogue - Sony XAV-AX200 - Helix DSP - MMATS HiFi-6150D & Zapco Z-1KD ii - Audiofrog GB60, GB25, GB10D4's - ScanSpeak d3004/6040-00
JamesRC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 1 Week Ago   #207

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 98 Jscoyne2 has a spectacular aura aboutJscoyne2 has a spectacular aura aboutJscoyne2 has a spectacular aura aboutJscoyne2 has a spectacular aura aboutJscoyne2 has a spectacular aura aboutJscoyne2 has a spectacular aura aboutJscoyne2 has a spectacular aura aboutJscoyne2 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesRC View Post
Hi guys. We just finished a move, so I haven't installed or setup my new unit yet. I'm hoping to do it next weekend. Before I do, I wanted to ask a preliminary question about the equipment setup.

Do I need to have an audio out from my Macbook in order to play test tones from Dirac? It sounds like Dirac plays it's own test towns in order to set itself up. Hooking up a USB mic is no problem. If I have to also set up an audio out... how are you going about doing it? Now that I think about it, I'm not even sure if my Sony head unit has a line in.
The Dirac bix sends its own signal out.

Jscoyne2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 1 Week Ago   #208

Rep Power: 31 JamesRC will become famous soon enoughJamesRC will become famous soon enoughJamesRC will become famous soon enoughJamesRC will become famous soon enoughJamesRC will become famous soon enoughJamesRC will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jscoyne2 View Post
The Dirac bix sends its own signal out.

Excellent. Thank you! That takes a surprising amount of stress off, LOL.

2011 Nissan Rogue - Sony XAV-AX200 - Helix DSP - MMATS HiFi-6150D & Zapco Z-1KD ii - Audiofrog GB60, GB25, GB10D4's - ScanSpeak d3004/6040-00
JamesRC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement