Acoustic Elegance IB15 4ohm car version (Idmax comparison) - Page 2 - Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-05-2009   #26
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 135 Grim0013 will become famous soon enoughGrim0013 will become famous soon enoughGrim0013 will become famous soon enoughGrim0013 will become famous soon enoughGrim0013 will become famous soon enoughGrim0013 will become famous soon enough

Default Re: Acoustic Elegance IB15 4ohm car version (Idmax comparison)

Thanks for a great review. I have a pair of these that will be getting installed in my 87 Grand National this winter, to be powered by a Phoenix Gold MS-2125. Should be around 360W+ per sub. From what John over at AE has stated, combined with what you're saying in your review here, that should be plenty of power, eh?

After reading your review, I am really getting excited to get this install rolling. Just gotta get the transmission taken care of, then I can get to work on the audio phase of the project.

Here is my overall system plan, in case you have any thoughts/input.... (you seem to be one of the ones who know their shit)

PG MS-275 (50W x 2 @ 8 ohms) -> 2 x ID HLCD (109db) (Way more power than I need, but this is the smallest amp of that series, effectively. Looking at either the CD2 or Ultra w/ full-body horns)
PG MS-2125 (255W x 2 @ 2 ohms) -> 4 x ID OEM 6.5 (91db)
PG MS-2125 (720W @ 2 ohms bridged) -> 2 x AE IB15 auto version (91db)

I really wanted to make sure I had solid mid-bass to match up to the IB15s in order to provide a solid transition to the horns. As a result, I keep finding myself worried about not having enough output in the sub-bass range. The more I hear about the IB15s though, the more I think the 720W should be plenty enough output to provide desirable overall freq. response at the highest output levels I would actually want to listen to.

I suspect that I should spend a good bit of time vibration damping my trunk. A Grand National is no small car, so I imagine sealing the trunk up as well shouldn't pose any issues due to limiting available airspace?

I agree with some of the others on this thread too - I think these are very handsome drivers. Nothing fancy, but nothing ugly about them either. They look like elegantly designed, very functional subs. Well, I have to admit, the magnet is a little ugly, but nothing a little polishing can't overcome. Of course, I have been away from car audio for a long time. The huge and/or exotically styled drivers so often seen these days were far from common in the early 90s.

Thanks again for the review,
Brad

Last edited by Grim0013; 01-05-2009 at 11:58 PM..
Grim0013 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-19-2009   #27

Bikinpunk

Thanked 1,161 Times in 550 Posts
Rep Power: 26019 ErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond repute

Send a message via AIM to ErinH

Thanks for doing this.

Currently, I'm trying to decide between a pair of these and a pair of the Fi 15" IB sub (IB3). I've got 2 IDmax12's that I plan to replace these with so your comparison is perfect for me; gives me a great idea of what to expect output wise.

Any further thoughts on your setup now that you've had it for a couple weeks?

Time Delay Calculator:
http://tracerite.com/calc.html
ErinH is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-22-2009   #28
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 214 cvjoint will become famous soon enoughcvjoint will become famous soon enoughcvjoint will become famous soon enoughcvjoint will become famous soon enoughcvjoint will become famous soon enoughcvjoint will become famous soon enoughcvjoint will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikinpunk View Post
Thanks for doing this.

Currently, I'm trying to decide between a pair of these and a pair of the Fi 15" IB sub (IB3). I've got 2 IDmax12's that I plan to replace these with so your comparison is perfect for me; gives me a great idea of what to expect output wise.

Any further thoughts on your setup now that you've had it for a couple weeks?
I've had them since the summer, since then I put at least 10k miles on the odo = lots of listening time. I would try the CSS 15 or the AE (IB or AV) drivers. The IB15s are reference drivers to me they don't color on virtually all material I've run through them and have lots of linear output to bring a smile on my face.

The only downside to my setup as I see it is that it sounds ideal with the trunk empty but the more cargo space is occupied the higher the Q and therefore loses a bit of low end. I might try the AV series in the future to get a compromise, a bit low heavy when empty which is fine with me. Most people have a larger trunk then mine or at least fewer amps, maybe use one sub, or still have the trunk vented to the outside so this downside might not be there.

2015 Corvette Z06 Z07:
Head: H800 + Galaxy S7 edge with AptX and optical
Amplifiers: 4,000w+ Zeff class G/H power
2way + Pro logic II steering Satori 6.5" fullrange rears
High: AMT line array;Mid: SS 25W/8567-SE 10";Low: 4x Seas L26RO4Y 10"
cvjoint is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2009   #29

Bikinpunk

Thanked 1,161 Times in 550 Posts
Rep Power: 26019 ErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond repute

Send a message via AIM to ErinH

Thanks.

I've been talking with John via email and I"m going to go ahead and order a set of these. My trunk is pretty roomy, and I still have the trunk flaps open, so hopefully I'll be alright. I rarely put anything back there, and when I do, I'm not worried about losing any sound quality because people are with me and we're talking.

Thanks again for the review, though. I'm sure coming from a dual 12" setup I'll be more than happy with these.

Time Delay Calculator:
http://tracerite.com/calc.html
ErinH is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-31-2009   #30
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 135 bboyvek will become famous soon enoughbboyvek will become famous soon enoughbboyvek will become famous soon enoughbboyvek will become famous soon enoughbboyvek will become famous soon enoughbboyvek will become famous soon enough

Sorry for bumping an old thread, but i didnt feel like starting a new thread. So my question is has anyone tried the 10" or 12" versions of it and what are your impressions about them? i dont feel like i can fit a 15" sub back there.
bboyvek is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-31-2009   #31
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 180 IBcivic is just really niceIBcivic is just really niceIBcivic is just really niceIBcivic is just really niceIBcivic is just really niceIBcivic is just really niceIBcivic is just really niceIBcivic is just really niceIBcivic is just really niceIBcivic is just really niceIBcivic is just really nice

just received 3 x ib twelves ...will be installing them this up-comming week
IBcivic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-01-2009   #32
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 135 bboyvek will become famous soon enoughbboyvek will become famous soon enoughbboyvek will become famous soon enoughbboyvek will become famous soon enoughbboyvek will become famous soon enoughbboyvek will become famous soon enough

awesome, write a review as soon as you can
Old 06-01-2009   #33
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 214 cvjoint will become famous soon enoughcvjoint will become famous soon enoughcvjoint will become famous soon enoughcvjoint will become famous soon enoughcvjoint will become famous soon enoughcvjoint will become famous soon enoughcvjoint will become famous soon enough

They've been working on smaller versions? Didn't know...must check it out. My buddy has been waiting for an IB18 for about...3 years now.

2015 Corvette Z06 Z07:
Old 06-01-2009   #34
Upgrade Your Membership!

Diyma Ninja

Rep Power: 279 thehatedguy has much to be proud ofthehatedguy has much to be proud ofthehatedguy has much to be proud ofthehatedguy has much to be proud ofthehatedguy has much to be proud ofthehatedguy has much to be proud ofthehatedguy has much to be proud ofthehatedguy has much to be proud ofthehatedguy has much to be proud ofthehatedguy has much to be proud ofthehatedguy has much to be proud of

I got one IB12-4 here today too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stinky06 View Post
just received 3 x ib twelves ...will be installing them this up-comming week
thehatedguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-01-2009   #35
Upgrade Your Membership!

Diyma Ninja

Rep Power: 279 thehatedguy has much to be proud ofthehatedguy has much to be proud ofthehatedguy has much to be proud ofthehatedguy has much to be proud ofthehatedguy has much to be proud ofthehatedguy has much to be proud ofthehatedguy has much to be proud ofthehatedguy has much to be proud ofthehatedguy has much to be proud ofthehatedguy has much to be proud ofthehatedguy has much to be proud of

Yeap, can do 10s and 12s. Bout the same price as the 15s.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvjoint View Post
They've been working on smaller versions? Didn't know...must check it out. My buddy has been waiting for an IB18 for about...3 years now.
Old 06-02-2009   #36
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by thehatedguy View Post
I got one IB12-4 here today too.
Post a review, that would be sweet. What other gear are you putting in your new car?

2015 Corvette Z06 Z07:
Old 06-02-2009   #37
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Quote:
Yeap, can do 10s and 12s. Bout the same price as the 15s.
Question is: can they do 18s for the price of 15s?

2015 Corvette Z06 Z07:
Old 06-02-2009   #38
Upgrade Your Membership!

Diyma Ninja

Keep on they will be doing 15s, and 10s for the price of 18s...lol. They did just release the TD18H, so it might not be a far stretch to see an IB18.
Old 06-02-2009   #39
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 93 bassfromspace will become famous soon enoughbassfromspace will become famous soon enoughbassfromspace will become famous soon enoughbassfromspace will become famous soon enoughbassfromspace will become famous soon enoughbassfromspace will become famous soon enoughbassfromspace will become famous soon enoughbassfromspace will become famous soon enoughbassfromspace will become famous soon enoughbassfromspace will become famous soon enoughbassfromspace will become famous soon enough

Fi has an IB 18.
bassfromspace is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-02-2009   #40
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 326 I800C0LLECT has a reputation beyond reputeI800C0LLECT has a reputation beyond reputeI800C0LLECT has a reputation beyond reputeI800C0LLECT has a reputation beyond reputeI800C0LLECT has a reputation beyond reputeI800C0LLECT has a reputation beyond reputeI800C0LLECT has a reputation beyond reputeI800C0LLECT has a reputation beyond reputeI800C0LLECT has a reputation beyond reputeI800C0LLECT has a reputation beyond reputeI800C0LLECT has a reputation beyond repute

oh wow. Before I started looking at DIYMA I was going to purchase AE speakers

These look great. If I ever get tired of the R12 I'll be grabbing an AE

Don't mistake activity for accomplishment.
My '13 Jetta build...not finished
I800C0LLECT is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-02-2009   #41
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 326 I800C0LLECT has a reputation beyond reputeI800C0LLECT has a reputation beyond reputeI800C0LLECT has a reputation beyond reputeI800C0LLECT has a reputation beyond reputeI800C0LLECT has a reputation beyond reputeI800C0LLECT has a reputation beyond reputeI800C0LLECT has a reputation beyond reputeI800C0LLECT has a reputation beyond reputeI800C0LLECT has a reputation beyond reputeI800C0LLECT has a reputation beyond reputeI800C0LLECT has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvjoint View Post
Question is: can they do 18s for the price of 15s?
I wouldn't put it past AE to do that. If you check out their forums they make custom speakers when asked. Unfortunately, they never returned my email

That's why I didn't purchase them.

Don't mistake activity for accomplishment.
My '13 Jetta build...not finished
I800C0LLECT is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-05-2009   #42
DIYMA 500 Club

come on!!! some one post a review!!
Also does any one know the dimensions for the ib12 or ib10?
Old 06-05-2009   #43
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassfromspace View Post
Fi has an IB 18.
Imo you don't actually want a true IB sub. The AE is optimized for a car trunk. Real IB subs can require several times that volume especially in 15 and larger sizes. Besides the AE has lots of motor goodies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by I800C0LLECT View Post
I wouldn't put it past AE to do that. If you check out their forums they make custom speakers when asked. Unfortunately, they never returned my email

That's why I didn't purchase them.
They weren't like this before. They might be sorting things out right now. It seems like there is a dedicated forum respondent too.

2015 Corvette Z06 Z07:
Old 06-05-2009   #44
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 151 Dr.Telepathy SQ will become famous soon enoughDr.Telepathy SQ will become famous soon enoughDr.Telepathy SQ will become famous soon enoughDr.Telepathy SQ will become famous soon enoughDr.Telepathy SQ will become famous soon enoughDr.Telepathy SQ will become famous soon enough

Send a message via Yahoo to Dr.Telepathy SQ

I spoke with Beth at AE last week. The car IB 15" is $149 plus shipping. $100 per sub if you purchase 4 subs. Shipping from WI to most areas of the lower 48 states will run between $12-$18 if purchasing 1 sub. The wait period for building-avg 2-3 weeks.

Below $200 though, which these days doesn't seem to be much, I think you're still climbing toward the peak of the performance/value curve, and beyond $300 you're really on the downward portion of the curve for a car.-Npdang
Dr.Telepathy SQ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-05-2009   #45
Upgrade Your Membership!

Diyma Ninja

What do you want to know in particular?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bboyvek View Post
come on!!! some one post a review!!
Also does any one know the dimensions for the ib12 or ib10?
Old 06-05-2009   #46
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 148 KAPendley will become famous soon enoughKAPendley will become famous soon enoughKAPendley will become famous soon enoughKAPendley will become famous soon enoughKAPendley will become famous soon enoughKAPendley will become famous soon enough

I may be sticking my foot in my mouth here, and I understand why it is an IDMax comparison, since that is what you were using before, but it seems a little unfair.

You are comparing a 100 dollar sub to a 499 dollar sub, and were using HALF the power one ID Max needs? I would think that explains your slopes.

Not saying the AE sub is a bad sub, but I dont think it trumps ID. I think you should have doubled the power on the ID subs you had previously, but of course, that would have been much more than 200 dollars.

Just sayin.

Heavy Wheel Mechanic (Deployed)
ManTech International Corporation / SOCOM
Tarin Kowt, Afghanistan
KAPendley is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-05-2009   #47
Upgrade Your Membership!

Diyma Ninja

He was IB with the Maxes...and it doesn't take a ton of power to get the Maxes to reach full excursion IB. 300 watts to a Max IB and she will pretty much max out excursion.

On paper there are things about the AE sub that would make it more attractive for IB usage.

Then there is the weight savings.

Andy, go by Joey's and get him to show you the sub I brought up there today. Very impressive build for the price point.
Old 06-05-2009   #48
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 148 KAPendley will become famous soon enoughKAPendley will become famous soon enoughKAPendley will become famous soon enoughKAPendley will become famous soon enoughKAPendley will become famous soon enoughKAPendley will become famous soon enough

Quote:
He was IB with the Maxes...and it doesn't take a ton of power to get the Maxes to reach full excursion IB. 300 watts to a Max IB and she will pretty much max out excursion.

On paper there are things about the AE sub that would make it more attractive for IB usage.

Then there is the weight savings.

Andy, go by Joey's and get him to show you the sub I brought up there today. Very impressive build for the price point.
Not knocking it bro, but you know Im an ID fan boy. And I never did IB with them and I didnt take the power into account for that, so I stuck my foot in my mouth. lol

Heavy Wheel Mechanic (Deployed)
ManTech International Corporation / SOCOM
Tarin Kowt, Afghanistan
KAPendley is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-05-2009   #49
Upgrade Your Membership!

Diyma Ninja

I love them too...I would make the Accord shake with the 3 maxes IB. Mo powerz is good though...I always had a little on tap for them.
Old 06-06-2009   #50
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Quote:
Very true. I'm pretty sure even in a sealed alignment on the right frequency you would reach full linear output with 500w. You'd be surprised just how little power we use on a regular basis, I would say no more than 50w to my AE drivers on average.

I don't think in this case the price reflects anything, it's quite the opposite, the AE is a better build driver. I enjoyed my IdMax subs but in all honesty going back would be a bit of downgrade in just about every aspect (technology, fidelity, sensitivity, light weight, extended response on both ends, maybe output is on par, I can't really tell without another DB test but I'm not risking it - I broke my baffle with the Maxes at 135db at 20hz)

2015 Corvette Z06 Z07:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement