Acoustic Elegance IB15 4ohm car version (Idmax comparison) - Page 3 - Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-06-2009   #51
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 159 The Drake will become famous soon enoughThe Drake will become famous soon enoughThe Drake will become famous soon enoughThe Drake will become famous soon enoughThe Drake will become famous soon enoughThe Drake will become famous soon enough

Default Re: Acoustic Elegance IB15 4ohm car version (Idmax comparison)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Telepathy SQ View Post
I spoke with Beth at AE last week. The car IB 15" is $149 plus shipping. $100 per sub if you purchase 4 subs. Shipping from WI to most areas of the lower 48 states will run between $12-$18 if purchasing 1 sub. The wait period for building-avg 2-3 weeks.
I talked with John and he said:

"the issue right now is that the new frames we got are not the same 12 spoke frames as the old ones. I can't do IB15's with them"

I asked him what the ETA on when they will be ready and he said:

"not sure yet... frames usually take 3mos, well 2mos min, 30days to make, 30 days on the water"

He said he might air ship some more in but he wasnt positive about that, so judging by what I heard from John directly, it can take 5 months before you see your subs if you ordered today....

If it wasnt for such the long wait I would have certainly gone with AE IB15's

The Drake is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-06-2009   #52
Upgrade Your Membership!

Diyma Ninja

Rep Power: 278 thehatedguy has much to be proud ofthehatedguy has much to be proud ofthehatedguy has much to be proud ofthehatedguy has much to be proud ofthehatedguy has much to be proud ofthehatedguy has much to be proud ofthehatedguy has much to be proud ofthehatedguy has much to be proud ofthehatedguy has much to be proud ofthehatedguy has much to be proud ofthehatedguy has much to be proud of

That's why I had a 1/4" steel baffle welded to my car when I had the 3 Maxes...whole lotta moving going on.
thehatedguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-06-2009   #53
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 213 cvjoint will become famous soon enoughcvjoint will become famous soon enoughcvjoint will become famous soon enoughcvjoint will become famous soon enoughcvjoint will become famous soon enoughcvjoint will become famous soon enoughcvjoint will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Drake View Post
I talked with John and he said:

"the issue right now is that the new frames we got are not the same 12 spoke frames as the old ones. I can't do IB15's with them"

I asked him what the ETA on when they will be ready and he said:

"not sure yet... frames usually take 3mos, well 2mos min, 30days to make, 30 days on the water"

He said he might air ship some more in but he wasnt positive about that, so judging by what I heard from John directly, it can take 5 months before you see your subs if you ordered today....

If it wasnt for such the long wait I would have certainly gone with AE IB15's
The AV15 geared for large box would be really nice to if you want to use two. They would model very well in a car trunk. The only reason I'm not doing that right now is to save weight and because I really don't need the extra output.

2015 Corvette Z06 Z07:
Head: H800 + Galaxy S7 edge with AptX and optical
Amplifiers: 4,000w+ Zeff class G/H power
2way + Pro logic II steering Satori 6.5" fullrange rears
High: AMT line array;Mid: SS 25W/8567-SE 10";Low: 4x Seas L26RO4Y 10"
cvjoint is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2009   #54
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 213 cvjoint will become famous soon enoughcvjoint will become famous soon enoughcvjoint will become famous soon enoughcvjoint will become famous soon enoughcvjoint will become famous soon enoughcvjoint will become famous soon enoughcvjoint will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by thehatedguy View Post
That's why I had a 1/4" steel baffle welded to my car when I had the 3 Maxes...whole lotta moving going on.
I had a double 3/4 MDF baffle but I got lazy and didn't use metal L-pads with screws in the chassis for the top, just expanding foam. It ripped immediately and then the baffle flexed to death.

2015 Corvette Z06 Z07:
Old 06-06-2009   #55
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 179 IBcivic is just really niceIBcivic is just really niceIBcivic is just really niceIBcivic is just really niceIBcivic is just really niceIBcivic is just really niceIBcivic is just really niceIBcivic is just really niceIBcivic is just really niceIBcivic is just really niceIBcivic is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvjoint View Post
I had a double 3/4 MDF baffle but I got lazy and didn't use metal L-pads with screws in the chassis for the top, just expanding foam. It ripped immediately and then the baffle flexed to death.
holy jit....thanks for the heads up!!! i am putting in 3 x ib12's as we speak.
IBcivic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-06-2009   #56
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 159 The Drake will become famous soon enoughThe Drake will become famous soon enoughThe Drake will become famous soon enoughThe Drake will become famous soon enoughThe Drake will become famous soon enoughThe Drake will become famous soon enough

Quote:
The AV15 geared for large box would be really nice to if you want to use two. They would model very well in a car trunk. The only reason I'm not doing that right now is to save weight and because I really don't need the extra output.
Now ya tell me, after I just ordered a single Fi IB318.... lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by thehatedguy View Post
Thats a nice idea, wish I had access to a welder and knew how to use it. But even when I had my 2 IDMAX's with double 3/4" MDF baffle I never had any trouble with it vibrating and flexing, at least that I could tell.

The Drake is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-29-2009   #57
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 390 captainobvious has a reputation beyond reputecaptainobvious has a reputation beyond reputecaptainobvious has a reputation beyond reputecaptainobvious has a reputation beyond reputecaptainobvious has a reputation beyond reputecaptainobvious has a reputation beyond reputecaptainobvious has a reputation beyond reputecaptainobvious has a reputation beyond reputecaptainobvious has a reputation beyond reputecaptainobvious has a reputation beyond reputecaptainobvious has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by stinky06 View Post
holy jit....thanks for the heads up!!! i am putting in 3 x ib12's as we speak.
Hey Stinky, did you get the subs installed yet? How about a review on those IB12's ?

------------------------------------------------------
2018 Iasca ProAm Champion
2018 Meca Extreme 2nd Place

2018 Mike Baylor Sportsmanship Award
captainobvious is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-29-2009   #58
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 179 IBcivic is just really niceIBcivic is just really niceIBcivic is just really niceIBcivic is just really niceIBcivic is just really niceIBcivic is just really niceIBcivic is just really niceIBcivic is just really niceIBcivic is just really niceIBcivic is just really niceIBcivic is just really nice

i wish....i have been to busy globe trotting for work....i am definatly getting too old for this kinda work. but i have 2 full weeks of free time comming up mid july. keep an eye out for my build thread.this is pretty much ,where i left off weeks ago, before being sent off to south east asia.

Last edited by IBcivic; 07-25-2009 at 06:55 PM..
IBcivic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-09-2009   #59
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 138 shadowfactory will become famous soon enoughshadowfactory will become famous soon enoughshadowfactory will become famous soon enoughshadowfactory will become famous soon enoughshadowfactory will become famous soon enoughshadowfactory will become famous soon enough

So what's this 'Apollo' upgrade that adds almost 50% to the price?

Pioneer PREMIER
Zed/Arc/Diamond ~ Seas\Peerless\DIYMA12
shadowfactory is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-24-2009   #60
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 134 bboyvek will become famous soon enoughbboyvek will become famous soon enoughbboyvek will become famous soon enoughbboyvek will become famous soon enoughbboyvek will become famous soon enoughbboyvek will become famous soon enough

wondering the same question, its not like a care coz i have my ib12 already installed, i just need to power it up, and i may finally do that tomorrow, yay
bboyvek is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-24-2009   #61
Upgrade Your Membership!

Diyma Ninja

Rep Power: 278 thehatedguy has much to be proud ofthehatedguy has much to be proud ofthehatedguy has much to be proud ofthehatedguy has much to be proud ofthehatedguy has much to be proud ofthehatedguy has much to be proud ofthehatedguy has much to be proud ofthehatedguy has much to be proud ofthehatedguy has much to be proud ofthehatedguy has much to be proud ofthehatedguy has much to be proud of

AE Speakers --- Superb Quality, Unforgettable Performance, Definitely.

thehatedguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-05-2009   #62
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 390 captainobvious has a reputation beyond reputecaptainobvious has a reputation beyond reputecaptainobvious has a reputation beyond reputecaptainobvious has a reputation beyond reputecaptainobvious has a reputation beyond reputecaptainobvious has a reputation beyond reputecaptainobvious has a reputation beyond reputecaptainobvious has a reputation beyond reputecaptainobvious has a reputation beyond reputecaptainobvious has a reputation beyond reputecaptainobvious has a reputation beyond repute

cvjoint-
Excellent review. Thanks for posting this.
Looks like I know which sub I'll be using in my setup

------------------------------------------------------
2018 Iasca ProAm Champion
2018 Meca Extreme 2nd Place

2018 Mike Baylor Sportsmanship Award
captainobvious is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-27-2010   #63
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 116 gjmallory will become famous soon enoughgjmallory will become famous soon enoughgjmallory will become famous soon enoughgjmallory will become famous soon enoughgjmallory will become famous soon enoughgjmallory will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Imo you don't actually want a true IB sub. The AE is optimized for a car trunk. Real IB subs can require several times that volume especially in 15 and larger sizes. Besides the AE has lots of motor goodies.
Are you saying that with the AE, I can break the 3x Vas rule? I have a vw cabrio with a 7.6 cubic ft. trunk...that is beggin for this sub if that is the case. Do you think that it would work?
gjmallory is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-27-2010   #64
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

^ Model your trunk as a sealed enclosure. None of us can get true IB in a car and these subs are not true IB subs, they are basically large sealed drivers.

You trunk is good for one IB15, or two AV15, or 4 IB12. Also keep track of what you put in your trunk, it will increase your Q! Just noticed you have a softop too. Check our my newest thread on the S2000. See if you have a rear deck like mine, it's pure sex for IB use!

I'm on the verge of going for 3 IB12s in my S2000. These things are unbeatable.

2015 Corvette Z06 Z07:
Old 07-28-2010   #65
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 179 fish will become famous soon enoughfish will become famous soon enoughfish will become famous soon enoughfish will become famous soon enoughfish will become famous soon enoughfish will become famous soon enough

Everytime I go back & reread this thread I come so close to pulling the trigger on a couple of these. I know I shouldn't be, but I'm afraid I'll be disappointed with the output.

'17 Hyundai Sonata SE : Alpine PXE-0850S - Alpine PDX-V9 - Illusion C3CX - Audiofrog GS60 - Kicker SoloClassic15 (x2, IB)
fish is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-28-2010   #66
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 143 alachua will become famous soon enoughalachua will become famous soon enoughalachua will become famous soon enoughalachua will become famous soon enoughalachua will become famous soon enoughalachua will become famous soon enoughalachua will become famous soon enoughalachua will become famous soon enough

Model what you are using now, then model the new ones. If you know what your actual output is, you can get a delta between the modeled response and the actual to give you an even better idea. Worst case scenario, watch the classifieds for a set to come up used and give em a try, if you don't like them you will most likely only be out shipping costs.
alachua is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-28-2010   #67
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

The AE IB is unbeatable/$/watt/lb. If you need more output look at the AV series. Once you factor in sensitivity it should be comparable to any sub on the market.

2015 Corvette Z06 Z07:
Old 07-28-2010   #68

Bikinpunk

Thanked 1,071 Times in 509 Posts
Rep Power: 26017 ErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond repute

Send a message via AIM to ErinH

2 AE's have plenty of output. I have mine toned down quite a bit.

Time Delay Calculator:
http://tracerite.com/calc.html
ErinH is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-28-2010   #69
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 169 cubdenno will become famous soon enoughcubdenno will become famous soon enoughcubdenno will become famous soon enoughcubdenno will become famous soon enoughcubdenno will become famous soon enoughcubdenno will become famous soon enoughcubdenno will become famous soon enough

Send a message via ICQ to cubdenno

Would 2 15's equal the in car output of a single 15 in a ported enclosure?

Bare in mind, I am running my TC with a 1500 watt [email protected] ohm and I can get low 140's in output.

Curious because would love to have some usable trunk, less weight. Wife likes the current output.

It is very easy to conflate cause and effect that are unrelated in audio design. In fact, the entire audiophile industry is based upon this ease of fallacy.

"Heck yeah you can spend more to get the same sound."
cubdenno is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-28-2010   #70

Bikinpunk

Rep Power: 26017 ErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond repute

hard to say for sure. I'm pretty much willing to bet on it.
depending on how you ported your box, you'll probably get much lower response with the IB setup. One thing is for sure, you wont have to have a huge friggin' box to get down to 30hz effortlessly.

Time Delay Calculator:
Old 07-28-2010   #71
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 416 ryan s has a reputation beyond reputeryan s has a reputation beyond reputeryan s has a reputation beyond reputeryan s has a reputation beyond reputeryan s has a reputation beyond reputeryan s has a reputation beyond reputeryan s has a reputation beyond reputeryan s has a reputation beyond reputeryan s has a reputation beyond reputeryan s has a reputation beyond reputeryan s has a reputation beyond repute

(A mini-review...I started typing before cubdenno replied )

As the owner of one of George's (former) subs, I will say that anyone concerned with output shouldn't be...unless you want to hit 150dB. Or trying to seek the rainbow unicorn that is "SQL"

I've simply never heard a sub that was better...it's better in every way, in fact, than any sub I've used. It has so much of everything; goes deep, "hits" pretty hard, and can hit double bass kicks. People think big subs are for "booming" or "getting loud" but that's simply not the case.

This sub, in my opinion, is as if you have you have one of each 8" through 15" subs playing the frequency they do best. There is nothing it can't play...there is no slop...there is no lag in transients...there is no one-note loudness...

I don't believe I could sway someone away from an AE sub, aside from availability issues...if they needed a sub tomorrow. I also don't believe there are better IB subs out there for the money. With the sub and my two heavy amps, I'd venture to say I've added about 65lbs to my trunk, and the weight is right between the strut towers and above the gas tank. The baffle and sub weigh 35lbs together. Quite amazing.

John at AE says that with cabin gain, a single 15 can hit 142dB @ 20Hz. Just so happens I also have 300w on tap I'd like to fit another, but it's not happening at this time.

'11 Accord Coupe with Premium Audio. Decent. System in planning stage...
"Plan for the best, EQ for the rest" - Zaph

ryan s is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-28-2010   #72
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 179 fish will become famous soon enoughfish will become famous soon enoughfish will become famous soon enoughfish will become famous soon enoughfish will become famous soon enoughfish will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikinpunk View Post
2 AE's have plenty of output. I have mine toned down quite a bit.
Yeah, don't you have like only 70-100 watts going to each of them?

'17 Hyundai Sonata SE : Alpine PXE-0850S - Alpine PDX-V9 - Illusion C3CX - Audiofrog GS60 - Kicker SoloClassic15 (x2, IB)
fish is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-28-2010   #73

Bikinpunk

yep. it's like this:
If I remove my subs and put a 4ohm dummy load on my sub amp, play a 0dB tone and measure the output (having not touched the gain from where it was on the amp/dsp) at about the same volume I typically listen to my music at I get about 90w @ 4ohm.

I think everyone who has heard my car has always had something great to say about the subs. My car's geometry has caused me headaches but it's not the subs' fault.

Time Delay Calculator:
Old 07-28-2010   #74
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 169 cubdenno will become famous soon enoughcubdenno will become famous soon enoughcubdenno will become famous soon enoughcubdenno will become famous soon enoughcubdenno will become famous soon enoughcubdenno will become famous soon enoughcubdenno will become famous soon enough

Send a message via ICQ to cubdenno

Very interesting.....

In car With the port firing forward I get a nice flat 30-70 hertz passband with about 2-4db deviation. The problem is that the enclosure is a single reflex bandpass and is holy fekk huge. I meter at the windshield sealed at like 143.4, with the box turned around port firing to the rear, I gain 1.5 db. (I bought the design from Pete Kulicki. Everything he has stated about in car response has been spot on. Including firing orientation output.)

I enjoy my system played loudly, It gets every type of music played through it. Just at high volumes. No competing just enjoying. Now though, there are times that I would love to be able to use the trunk. Wife approves of the rolling concert hall and does not want to sacrifice output. Plus, with the teenager son rapidly approaching a louder vehicle than mine, I have to stay at least competitive.I will have to seriously ponder this. My only hold back is that with the current economy, it is more difficult to sell off items if I don't like them.

It is very easy to conflate cause and effect that are unrelated in audio design. In fact, the entire audiophile industry is based upon this ease of fallacy.

"Heck yeah you can spend more to get the same sound."
cubdenno is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-28-2010   #75
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 143 alachua will become famous soon enoughalachua will become famous soon enoughalachua will become famous soon enoughalachua will become famous soon enoughalachua will become famous soon enoughalachua will become famous soon enoughalachua will become famous soon enoughalachua will become famous soon enough

With the limited availability of the IB15, they are rare to last in the second hand market unless you are trying to get full retail for them.
alachua is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement