Second Skin Bed Liner DIY Install - Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-15-2009   #1
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 186 el_chupo_ has a reputation beyond reputeel_chupo_ has a reputation beyond reputeel_chupo_ has a reputation beyond reputeel_chupo_ has a reputation beyond reputeel_chupo_ has a reputation beyond reputeel_chupo_ has a reputation beyond reputeel_chupo_ has a reputation beyond reputeel_chupo_ has a reputation beyond reputeel_chupo_ has a reputation beyond reputeel_chupo_ has a reputation beyond reputeel_chupo_ has a reputation beyond repute

Default Second Skin Bed Liner DIY Install

Product: Truck Bed Liner - 3 gallons bought, some left over for touch-ups.
Maker: Second Skin Audio : Sound Deadening Materials for Noise Reduction from Second Skin
Subject: 1999 Dodge Ram 1500 6.5ft bed
Work: 2 people (Myself and Dad - his truck)
Tools used:
Second Skin Spray Gun
Blue Painters tape
Cardboard/Newspaper for masking
Air Compressor

DIY Install:

This is a new product from Second Skin. I have used several of their products, such as Damplifier sound deading, Spectrum liquid sound deadener, Speaker Tweaker kits, etc. I have never been disappointed, and would easily recommend Damplifier over any other sound deadening product.

I cannot comment on the long term durability, but this was easier to install, and looks better than things like the gallon stuff at Autozone/Walmart. (blue can stuff, duraliner or something) I had this stuff on one of my jeeps, and while it was OK, it peeled and wasnt very durable.

This must cure in 50* or more weather, the entire 48 - 72 hour cure time. Because of this it was kept in my garage for the weekend.

So on to the install.

First, took out the plastic OEM bed liner in the truck:

This is what we are greeted with.

We each grab a sanding block, get the rust out (surface only) and rough up the smooth sides.

Didnt take long, but its an arm workout...

Let me pause here and let you know about the air compressor. I own a 6 gallon tank porter cable air compressor, about 2.5 CFM @ 90 PSI. We started shooting with it, and this was what we got before it ran out of air:

So we wait, shoot the second tank, and get to here:

At this time we talk a minute, and decide to go shoot the bedliner at his house (covered work area, but no heat to combat the "winter" air (35* at night, 70* at day) and then bring it back to my house for cure time.

So we let what is in there dry to touch, then drive the 3 miles to his house, and get one of his compressors going, he decides this guy is the best bet for what we need: US General air compressor. Nice unit for what we needed

el_chupo_ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-15-2009   #2
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 186 el_chupo_ has a reputation beyond reputeel_chupo_ has a reputation beyond reputeel_chupo_ has a reputation beyond reputeel_chupo_ has a reputation beyond reputeel_chupo_ has a reputation beyond reputeel_chupo_ has a reputation beyond reputeel_chupo_ has a reputation beyond reputeel_chupo_ has a reputation beyond reputeel_chupo_ has a reputation beyond reputeel_chupo_ has a reputation beyond reputeel_chupo_ has a reputation beyond repute

Default Re: Second Skin Bed Liner DIY Install

So we get the hoses out, get this guy running, and start shooting for real...

Old 02-15-2009   #3
DIYMA 500 Club

So as you can see, we obviously shot it much thicker with the bigger compressor. I dont really need to show you the subsequent coats, but we did 3 coats to ensure good thickness/durabilty.

also you can see we did it over the edges, just like the plastic one went over.

I then took it home (Again, after it dried to touch) and parked it in the garage for ~54 hours. Didnt drop below 60* in garage, 75 or so on Friday and Sunday. Gave it back to my dad today, he really likes it alot better than his old liner. My wife liked the look of the liner as well (great way to pick up chicks ??? )

Feel free to ask any questions you may have.

We did not use all three gallons. The remaining amount will be used as touch-up if needed, or possibly in the back of my Jeep.

I will update with any info if something is needed.

Old 02-15-2009   #4
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 138 KARPE will become famous soon enoughKARPE will become famous soon enoughKARPE will become famous soon enoughKARPE will become famous soon enoughKARPE will become famous soon enoughKARPE will become famous soon enough

Was there a big rattle issue from the bed to begin with?

Looks like they never picked a name for it.
KARPE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-15-2009   #5
DIYMA 500 Club

not a big rattle, but the front of the bed liner was coming off a bit, and making a little noise.

dont know if they will name it anything else...
Old 02-16-2009   #6
ANT
Upgrade Your Membership!
Upgrade Your Membership!

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 400 ANT has a reputation beyond reputeANT has a reputation beyond reputeANT has a reputation beyond reputeANT has a reputation beyond reputeANT has a reputation beyond reputeANT has a reputation beyond reputeANT has a reputation beyond reputeANT has a reputation beyond reputeANT has a reputation beyond reputeANT has a reputation beyond reputeANT has a reputation beyond repute

Great review!
Looks like it turned out very clean!

We are still searching for a name.

ANT
ANT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-16-2009   #7
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 948 chad has a reputation beyond reputechad has a reputation beyond reputechad has a reputation beyond reputechad has a reputation beyond reputechad has a reputation beyond reputechad has a reputation beyond reputechad has a reputation beyond reputechad has a reputation beyond reputechad has a reputation beyond reputechad has a reputation beyond reputechad has a reputation beyond repute

Jealous
<<<<<<<

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikinpunk View Post
Mark's an up late kinda dude. His neighbor has a horse.
chad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-16-2009   #8
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 134 Apex Rex will become famous soon enoughApex Rex will become famous soon enoughApex Rex will become famous soon enoughApex Rex will become famous soon enoughApex Rex will become famous soon enoughApex Rex will become famous soon enough

Looks great! Once it warms up out here I think I might go with this for my F150.

1999 F-150
Eclipse - Sundown - DLS - Zapco - SoundSplinter
Apex Rex is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-16-2009   #9
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 170 wheelieking71 is a jewel in the roughwheelieking71 is a jewel in the roughwheelieking71 is a jewel in the roughwheelieking71 is a jewel in the roughwheelieking71 is a jewel in the roughwheelieking71 is a jewel in the roughwheelieking71 is a jewel in the roughwheelieking71 is a jewel in the roughwheelieking71 is a jewel in the roughwheelieking71 is a jewel in the roughwheelieking71 is a jewel in the rough

COOL! looks really good. i think you just convinced me to get the gun to apply mine. i really like the way that turned out.
wheelieking71 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-16-2009   #10
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 170 Fixtion has a spectacular aura aboutFixtion has a spectacular aura aboutFixtion has a spectacular aura aboutFixtion has a spectacular aura aboutFixtion has a spectacular aura aboutFixtion has a spectacular aura aboutFixtion has a spectacular aura aboutFixtion has a spectacular aura about

hmm, seems like i need to locate a air compressor, that gun seems to apply quite evenly.

2011 Hyundai Elantra AMT
STOCK
Fixtion is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-18-2009   #11
DIYMA 500 Club

12V Company:
12v Electronics
Position:
Sales Manager

Rep Power: 149 12v Electronics will become famous soon enough12v Electronics will become famous soon enough12v Electronics will become famous soon enough12v Electronics will become famous soon enough12v Electronics will become famous soon enough12v Electronics will become famous soon enough12v Electronics will become famous soon enough

Send a message via AIM to 12v Electronics Send a message via Skype™ to 12v Electronics

Looks great!

I will have to order some for my personal truck (since el_chupo stole my winning ticket on the giveaway j/k)

ANT look for an order soon. Also hope to be installing it in our IL. store.

Tom Meyers
[email protected] 847-461-9520
12v Electronics is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-25-2009   #12
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 134 Apex Rex will become famous soon enoughApex Rex will become famous soon enoughApex Rex will become famous soon enoughApex Rex will become famous soon enoughApex Rex will become famous soon enoughApex Rex will become famous soon enough

How much Dead Liner did you use for the 6.5ft bed?

1999 F-150
Old 03-26-2009   #13
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

12V Company:
Thor Industries
Position:
Lightning bolt delivery

Rep Power: 194 mvw2 will become famous soon enoughmvw2 will become famous soon enoughmvw2 will become famous soon enoughmvw2 will become famous soon enoughmvw2 will become famous soon enoughmvw2 will become famous soon enough

Send a message via AIM to mvw2 Send a message via MSN to mvw2

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIYMA View Post
We are still searching for a name.

ANT
Haha, I always thought you just went generic and went with the "Second Skin Bed Liner" name. I always thought it was kind of lame relative to your other products.

No lawn darts in the fairway! This is a golf course damn it!
mvw2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-26-2009   #14
DIYMA 500 Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apex Rex View Post
How much Dead Liner did you use for the 6.5ft bed?
1.5 gallons or so. I would get the 2 gallon and go thicker, or have some left.

SANDING IS Important. We had a couple spots on the tail gate that we didnt sand as good as we should have, and some came off... Also, this was with loading in and out, but a few spots we have to touch up.
Old 03-26-2009   #15
DIYMA 500 Club

Thanks! I'll go with the 2 gallon kit, and probably keep a little extra for touch-ups if it needs any.

1999 F-150
Old 03-26-2009   #16
DAT

Banned

Rep Power: 0 DAT has a reputation beyond reputeDAT has a reputation beyond reputeDAT has a reputation beyond reputeDAT has a reputation beyond reputeDAT has a reputation beyond reputeDAT has a reputation beyond reputeDAT has a reputation beyond reputeDAT has a reputation beyond reputeDAT has a reputation beyond reputeDAT has a reputation beyond reputeDAT has a reputation beyond repute

I love the gun, bought one and a 5 gallon bucket of the spray deadner and man I tell you this stuff works..

After I applied the Damplifier sound deading one weekend I went back and sprayed the inside on the doors in my SUV with that stuff everywhere the following weekend, my doors are solid and even better than before with the Damplifier sound deading. I loved the Damplifier by itself too...

Great product, I just wish I would have clean the bottle and gun up better the 3rd time i used it... Need replacements.
DAT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-30-2009   #17
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 142 OldSkool_08 will become famous soon enoughOldSkool_08 will become famous soon enoughOldSkool_08 will become famous soon enoughOldSkool_08 will become famous soon enoughOldSkool_08 will become famous soon enoughOldSkool_08 will become famous soon enough

Great review....Looks great installed/applied. I especially like the water based vs. all the other brands.
OldSkool_08 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-22-2009   #18
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 0 SD757 will become famous soon enoughSD757 will become famous soon enoughSD757 will become famous soon enoughSD757 will become famous soon enoughSD757 will become famous soon enoughSD757 will become famous soon enough

Looks good, do you now how it is in comparison to LineX?
SD757 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-22-2009   #19
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 186 chithead is a glorious beacon of lightchithead is a glorious beacon of lightchithead is a glorious beacon of lightchithead is a glorious beacon of lightchithead is a glorious beacon of lightchithead is a glorious beacon of lightchithead is a glorious beacon of lightchithead is a glorious beacon of lightchithead is a glorious beacon of lightchithead is a glorious beacon of lightchithead is a glorious beacon of light

Thinking I might have to do this to my truck...
chithead is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-22-2009   #20
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMA

Rep Power: 130 kickinaudio will become famous soon enoughkickinaudio will become famous soon enoughkickinaudio will become famous soon enoughkickinaudio will become famous soon enoughkickinaudio will become famous soon enoughkickinaudio will become famous soon enough

Dont forget to check out the hilarious DIY video

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.
kickinaudio is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-23-2009   #21
ANT
Upgrade Your Membership!
Upgrade Your Membership!

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 400 ANT has a reputation beyond reputeANT has a reputation beyond reputeANT has a reputation beyond reputeANT has a reputation beyond reputeANT has a reputation beyond reputeANT has a reputation beyond reputeANT has a reputation beyond reputeANT has a reputation beyond reputeANT has a reputation beyond reputeANT has a reputation beyond reputeANT has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by kickinaudio View Post
Dont forget to check out the hilarious DIY video

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

That is a great video!!
We actually took the Deadliner off the shelf for a few months to reqork the formula.
The new stuff should be ready in another 4 weeks from now.
We were noticing that the rubber was getting too soft in the sun, so we added a polyurethane component to it to give it a higher Tg (better heat resistnace)
Now it does not get nearsly as soft in the sun and can withstand a ton more abuse.

ANT
ANT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-09-2010   #22
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 133 old_skool_noma will become famous soon enoughold_skool_noma will become famous soon enoughold_skool_noma will become famous soon enoughold_skool_noma will become famous soon enoughold_skool_noma will become famous soon enoughold_skool_noma will become famous soon enough

any updates on when the deadliner will be back on the market? ive got a truck or two that may need it.

Brandon
S-clusive Ohio
Precision Power A404, A600.2, Kenwood KDC-X693
old_skool_noma is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement