Usher Audio Technology 8945p 7" Driver Review - Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-18-2009   #1
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 153 braves6117 will become famous soon enoughbraves6117 will become famous soon enoughbraves6117 will become famous soon enoughbraves6117 will become famous soon enoughbraves6117 will become famous soon enoughbraves6117 will become famous soon enough

Default Usher Audio Technology 8945p 7" Driver Review

The USHER AUDIO TECHNOLOGY 8945p is a beast of a 7in driver. With a magnet diameter of 4.7 inches, weighing in at 2.3 pounds alone, one must measure a potential install area accurately as to not make a mistake. The difference between your baffle cutout diameter and that of the magnet alone is a mere 1.5 inches!

Initial Impressions

My Usher experience began when I received a pair of Usher 8945p drivers from parts express. Each driver was individually packed, in their own box, face down on a formed Styrofoam pad.

I was initially surprised that the rear of the driver was only protected via cardboard, but after holding the driver in hand, I realized the magnet was more then enough. Additionally, its apparent that the driver can not be placed magnet side down with the cone side being protected via plastic inserts commonly placed in the screw holes as they would be inadequate to support the weight of the driver should it be placed upside down during shipping or handling in general.

Build Quality

The most noticeable aspect of the Usher 8945p is the weight. Weighing in at just above 6 pounds (2.3 being the magnet) one can tell a lot of material was used in the frame and support of the magnet in general.

With six approximately ~1 inch support arms connected to the outer diameter frame, and a quarter inch thick flange, mounting the speaker will not be a problem (unless of course, the mounting area is inadequate in itself.) You also have the use of six screw holes for mounting purposes, however, I must note their small diameter, so be prepared accordingly.

Other characteristics of the Usher driver included its commonly seen large positive spade terminal partnered with its smaller negative spade terminal. While strong individually from being bent, they do have a bit of play if pressure is applied perpendicular. Once design is investigated, you can easily see they are only mounted via a screw in the middle. Even so, this shouldn’t be a deterrent.

Also interesting is the rubber surround on the 8945p. Unlike what is found on a peerless 6.5 SLS or even the 8in SLS woofer, a hard, thick, and quite strong to the touch surround, the Usher driver has a very “loose,” soft, gentle surround. If I were a betting man, I would say this driver does not need a break in period for the surround that a peerless driver would (discounting the ever popular break in period debate of course) Below, a compare and contrast between the Peerless SLS woofer’s and that of the Usher. Notice that while the SLS has a larger surround in general, its thickness and resistance to pressure is at least 3x more then that of the Usher.

Moving on to the Usher cone, the phase plug is quite apparent lol . It’s a shiny silver in color and has no play to touch whatsoever. The actual cone material is quoted as a carbon fiber/ paper cone, but to the touch, it feels more like paper. I think the best term to describe the texture is “veiny” with what I assume to be the carbon fiber accounting for it. Additionally, the space between the cone material and phase plug is very minimal…I was barely able to get a pen tip between; however, the cone moves freely and easily around the phase plug.

Sound Quality

The Usher Driver illuminated my vehicle with a grossly underestimated deep sound and has more presence then my transparent IDQ12V3 in the rear cargo hold. This came as a big surprise with such a great reward as my stage became less localized.

Words are hard to come by when describing sound character as they are far from a listening experience; however, there are a few that I feel are appropriate. Foremost, the tones below 500 Hz are cold, clear, and well mannered. If you have a deadened door, kick, ect….expect this driver to be a test. You will have rattles if unprepared, and especially if you high pass at 65 Hz or lower. As a result, even with more the adequate sound dampening, foam, and quirks such as non hardening modeling clay in my vehicle, I have settled as a high pass of 80 Hz at a 12 db slope.

Going back to sound quality and play ability, tones up to 2.8 KHz were extremely clear, and more importantly, even among the low tones, did not change in sound reproduction while turning volume up to levels I would not during normal play time. If there is such a thing as a break in, it was done after the first tone tested lololol

In addition to being cold mannered, the driver is far from muddy. It has impact, which will ring through your chest if you turn it up. It seems to favor power, easily handling my rated 380 watts RMS at 4 ohms (keep in mind, this driver is 8 ohms…) however, I have not had a chance to test otherwise. As tones increase through and above 1.5 Khz, clarity is still present, but the driver side woofer starts to somewhat suffer being 90 degrees off axis in my install. However, this was only noticeable when playing left versus right driver tones individually. The passenger woofer played quite well through 2.8 Khz, but it was apparent that 3 and above would be affected, and I didn’t test beyond that point. With that said, should you have a tweeter with low fs, I wouldn’t hesitate using this driver in a 2 way setup.

In terms of pairing attributes, this driver with cold, clear sound really help balanced my warm mid/tweeter. As some may know, I did a driver versus driver test between the Usher and B&C 6NDL38, and the winning factor was this sound balance and low mannered ability.

Lastly, and fair to mention, is the balancing between driver and passenger side woofer if installed off axis in the doors. At the beginning, it was quite apparent that the passenger woofer was heavily pulling the stage to the right. With a balancing act between output level adjustment and time delay using a setup disc, I was able to obtain a centered image, something I was unable to do previously (grrrrr). This could be a result from an upgraded processor addition with the Zapco in terms of control ability, or maybe a good to know characteristic of the driver, I just don’t know. What I do know is that I love the outcome

Overall, this is a kick ass and taking names driver

Here are some more general reference pics for coolness lol

Versus the B&C 6NDL38

Spec Sheet

Full version can be found here:
http://www.parts-express.com/pdf/296-602.pdf

Audison/Usher/Morel/Dyn/IDQ

Last edited by braves6117; 03-18-2009 at 03:42 PM.. Reason: Spelling
braves6117 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-18-2009   #2
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 137 mxl16 will become famous soon enoughmxl16 will become famous soon enoughmxl16 will become famous soon enoughmxl16 will become famous soon enoughmxl16 will become famous soon enoughmxl16 will become famous soon enough

Default Re: Usher Audio Technology 8945p 7" Driver Review

Nice review. That magnet is freakin huge! I wonder if it would fit in my door
mxl16 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-18-2009   #3
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 201 MiniVanMan has a spectacular aura aboutMiniVanMan has a spectacular aura aboutMiniVanMan has a spectacular aura aboutMiniVanMan has a spectacular aura aboutMiniVanMan has a spectacular aura aboutMiniVanMan has a spectacular aura aboutMiniVanMan has a spectacular aura aboutMiniVanMan has a spectacular aura aboutMiniVanMan has a spectacular aura aboutMiniVanMan has a spectacular aura about

You just brought a tear to my eye with this review. Well done.

Should post some RTA graphs as well for the left side and right side. Gotta see what that phase plug is accomplishing.

The ability to buy expensive equipment does NOT make you an audiophile.
MiniVanMan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2009   #4
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 145 mSaLL150 will become famous soon enoughmSaLL150 will become famous soon enoughmSaLL150 will become famous soon enoughmSaLL150 will become famous soon enoughmSaLL150 will become famous soon enoughmSaLL150 will become famous soon enough

Send a message via AIM to mSaLL150

Nice review. Some nice looking drivers. I'm unsure If I could fit Peerless SLS 8s, these may be taken into consideration when my upgrade begins.

2013 Focus ST - In Progress! - MyFordTouch - Audison - Phoenix Gold - Scanspeak - Dayton - Stereo Integrity
mSaLL150 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-18-2009   #5
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 153 braves6117 will become famous soon enoughbraves6117 will become famous soon enoughbraves6117 will become famous soon enoughbraves6117 will become famous soon enoughbraves6117 will become famous soon enoughbraves6117 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiniVanMan View Post
You just brought a tear to my eye with this review. Well done.

Should post some RTA graphs as well for the left side and right side. Gotta see what that phase plug is accomplishing.

LOL here they come! Maybe you can do the interpretation ....

Old 03-18-2009   #6
DIYMA 500 Club

To set the stage regarding the RTA images below, please refer to my next comments. My Usher drivers are installed in the doors, well sealed and deadened. My driver side woofer is actually ~95 degrees off axis, while my passenger side woofer sits at about ~45 degrees off axis.

Testing involved high quality, 20 min continuous mono pink noise, with each left and right side showing a graph for a low pass of 800 Hz at a 12 db slope or no low pass at all. All high pass crossover are set at 80 Hz at a 12 db slope. I then followed with a summed response for both woofers at a low pass of 800 at a 12 db slope as well as no low pass at all.

The image below illustrates just how high I am from the driver side woofer as well as the positioning of the microphone below the head rest. All tests were conducted with the engine off, doors closed, and computer/soundcard outside the vehicle. Additionally, the graphs represent NO EQ WHATSOEVER

And off to the results…..

First up is Driver Side Response, 800Hz low pass. The first is a line response; the second is simply the same but with bars for viewing purposes.

]

Next is Driver Side Response, NO low pass. The first is a line response; the second is simply the same but with bars for viewing purposes.

Next is PASSENGER Side Response, 800 Hz low pass. The first is a line response; the second is simply the same but with bars for viewing purposes.

Next is PASSENGER Side Response, NO low pass. The first is a line response; the second is simply the same but with bars for viewing purposes.

Old 03-18-2009   #7
DIYMA 500 Club

To set the stage regarding the RTA images below, please refer to my next comments. My Usher drivers are installed in the doors, well sealed and deadened. My driver side woofer is actually ~95 degrees off axis, while my passenger side woofer sits at about ~45 degrees off axis.

Testing involved high quality, 20 min continuous mono pink noise, with each left and right side showing a graph for a low pass of 800 Hz at a 12 db slope or no low pass at all. All high pass crossover are set at 80 Hz at a 12 db slope. I then followed with a summed response for both woofers at a low pass of 800 at a 12 db slope as well as no low pass at all.

The image below illustrates just how high I am from the driver side woofer as well as the positioning of the microphone below the head rest. All tests were conducted with the engine off, doors closed, and computer/soundcard outside the vehicle. Additionally, the graphs represent NO EQ WHATSOEVER

And off to the results…..

First up is Driver Side Response, 800Hz low pass. The first is a line response; the second is simply the same but with bars for viewing purposes.

]

Next is Driver Side Response, NO low pass. The first is a line response; the second is simply the same but with bars for viewing purposes.

Next is PASSENGER Side Response, 800 Hz low pass. The first is a line response; the second is simply the same but with bars for viewing purposes.

Next is PASSENGER Side Response, NO low pass. The first is a line response; the second is simply the same but with bars for viewing purposes.

Last edited by braves6117; 03-18-2009 at 06:59 PM..
Old 03-18-2009   #8
DIYMA 500 Club

Next is COMBINED RESPONSE, 800 Hz low pass.

And lastly, we have COMBINED RESPONSE,, NO low pass. The first is a line response; the second is simply the same but with bars for viewing purposes.

Old 03-18-2009   #9

Rep Power: 0 SteveLPfreak will become famous soon enoughSteveLPfreak will become famous soon enoughSteveLPfreak will become famous soon enoughSteveLPfreak will become famous soon enoughSteveLPfreak will become famous soon enoughSteveLPfreak will become famous soon enough

Thanks for all the hard work and data!!
SteveLPfreak is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-18-2009   #10
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

12V Company:
Thor Industries
Position:
Lightning bolt delivery

Rep Power: 193 mvw2 will become famous soon enoughmvw2 will become famous soon enoughmvw2 will become famous soon enoughmvw2 will become famous soon enoughmvw2 will become famous soon enoughmvw2 will become famous soon enough

Send a message via AIM to mvw2 Send a message via MSN to mvw2

Very cool. It's nice that the Usher drivers are getting some review time. They have largely been ignored, and that is unfortunate. These are some drivers I'd love to play with, but I've never been compelled to buy a set just to try out.

Being so far off axis, I might look at smaller drivers or step to 3-way.

Omni-directional to direction occurs at 172,000/Diameter(mm).

With the difference in axis angles, you'll need to address the issue with driver aiming, EQing, or staying low enough within the omni-directional range via proper x-over points 2-way or 3-way. In the end, to get a good, stable center, you do need to maintain equal output, time syncing, and equal response over the entire frequency range. Any broad differences in output or time delay will pull the stage one way or another. Any variation in frequency response between each side will pull your center one way or the other depending on the frequency being played and which driver is louder at that frequency point.

No lawn darts in the fairway! This is a golf course damn it!
mvw2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-18-2009   #11
Upgrade Your Membership!

The Anti-Rice

Rep Power: 187 unpredictableacts will become famous soon enoughunpredictableacts will become famous soon enoughunpredictableacts will become famous soon enoughunpredictableacts will become famous soon enoughunpredictableacts will become famous soon enoughunpredictableacts will become famous soon enough

wow I just realized you were running these 2 way.

*WARNING*Side effects of car audio addiction include: Runny nose, anal leakage, a reduction in supplied semin, and ear bleeding...so enjoy.
unpredictableacts is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-18-2009   #12
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 149 krisfnbz is on a distinguished roadkrisfnbz is on a distinguished roadkrisfnbz is on a distinguished roadkrisfnbz is on a distinguished roadkrisfnbz is on a distinguished road

Send a message via AIM to krisfnbz

Mine will be here tomorrow! Cant wait to install them!!
krisfnbz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-19-2009   #13
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 201 MiniVanMan has a spectacular aura aboutMiniVanMan has a spectacular aura aboutMiniVanMan has a spectacular aura aboutMiniVanMan has a spectacular aura aboutMiniVanMan has a spectacular aura aboutMiniVanMan has a spectacular aura aboutMiniVanMan has a spectacular aura aboutMiniVanMan has a spectacular aura aboutMiniVanMan has a spectacular aura aboutMiniVanMan has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by unpredictableacts View Post
wow I just realized you were running these 2 way.
No, it's a 3-way. I asked him to post the graphs like he did. I wanted to know feasibility of running these 2-way in the doors. There's something going on that I don't understand though. The driver side graph should be falling off drastically around 2k, but it's not. Is that a function of the phase plug?

It's an interesting result. I'd be curious what each driver sounds like individually. Braves, if you have the time could you do a subjective listening test from the driver's seat between each of them alone? I'm looking for a dramatic cut in the midrange on the driver's side like you had with the B&Cs. The B&Cs behaved as predicted.

If what the graph is showing is real, and not a function of reflections or something else, these would be excellent for a 2-way with a stout tweeter.

Old 03-19-2009   #14
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 149 krisfnbz is on a distinguished roadkrisfnbz is on a distinguished roadkrisfnbz is on a distinguished roadkrisfnbz is on a distinguished roadkrisfnbz is on a distinguished road

Send a message via AIM to krisfnbz

SUBSCRIBED!!
krisfnbz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-20-2009   #15
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 169 wheelieking71 is a jewel in the roughwheelieking71 is a jewel in the roughwheelieking71 is a jewel in the roughwheelieking71 is a jewel in the roughwheelieking71 is a jewel in the roughwheelieking71 is a jewel in the roughwheelieking71 is a jewel in the roughwheelieking71 is a jewel in the roughwheelieking71 is a jewel in the roughwheelieking71 is a jewel in the roughwheelieking71 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by krisfnbz View Post
SUBSCRIBED!!
ya, me too!
wheelieking71 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-19-2009   #16
DIYMA 500 Club

Bump for these drivers....I'm absoulutely loving them

Old 04-22-2009   #17
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 134 blamus will become famous soon enoughblamus will become famous soon enoughblamus will become famous soon enoughblamus will become famous soon enoughblamus will become famous soon enoughblamus will become famous soon enough

So, whats the verdict as a 2-way front stage driver then? Should I be looking into these for my 2way setup? I'm currently looking at things like ER18RNX, Rainbow Profi kickbass, ID OEM, w18nx (out of my budget). How should the usher compare?
blamus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-22-2009   #18
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 152 Dr.Telepathy SQ will become famous soon enoughDr.Telepathy SQ will become famous soon enoughDr.Telepathy SQ will become famous soon enoughDr.Telepathy SQ will become famous soon enoughDr.Telepathy SQ will become famous soon enoughDr.Telepathy SQ will become famous soon enough

Send a message via Yahoo to Dr.Telepathy SQ

This is simply beautiful....Thank you so much. This is true DIYMA. DIY drivers, data, measured results, performace, and no high dollar-mark up car audio drivers.

Below $200 though, which these days doesn't seem to be much, I think you're still climbing toward the peak of the performance/value curve, and beyond $300 you're really on the downward portion of the curve for a car.-Npdang
Dr.Telepathy SQ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-22-2009   #19
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by blamus View Post
So, whats the verdict as a 2-way front stage driver then? Should I be looking into these for my 2way setup? I'm currently looking at things like ER18RNX, Rainbow Profi kickbass, ID OEM, w18nx (out of my budget). How should the usher compare?
Yes you should.

Old 04-30-2009   #20
DIYMA 500 Club

Blue Collar Audiophile

12V Company:
Complacent Audio
Position:
Incoherent rambler

Rep Power: 306 Hillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond reputeHillbilly SQ has a reputation beyond repute

Great review. I'm running the non-phaseplug Ushers and Usher tweeters in the home with perfect results. They just do everything right.

'16 single cab Ram Tradesman ST with HEMI...Pioneer avh-501ex...Helix dsp.2...Helix G-Five...Zapco ST-4X SQ...LPG 26na...Audiofrog gb25...Scanspeak Discovery 7"...Dayton HO12d4...MAKE DIYMA GREAT AGAIN!
Hillbilly SQ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-30-2009   #21
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 168 typericey will become famous soon enoughtypericey will become famous soon enoughtypericey will become famous soon enoughtypericey will become famous soon enoughtypericey will become famous soon enoughtypericey will become famous soon enough

Does anybody notice the physical similarity between this Usher and the Scanspeak Classic line sans the phase plug?

ScanSpeak 18W/8545 7" Paper Cone Woofer from Madisound

iDA-X305S | PDX-F4 | Voce AV K6 | HF10
typericey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-30-2009   #22
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 146 dkm201 will become famous soon enoughdkm201 will become famous soon enoughdkm201 will become famous soon enoughdkm201 will become famous soon enoughdkm201 will become famous soon enoughdkm201 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by typericey View Post
Does anybody notice the physical similarity between this Usher and the Scanspeak Classic line sans the phase plug?

That's no accident... It's widely considered a clone of that driver.
dkm201 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-01-2009   #23
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 157 snaimpally will become famous soon enoughsnaimpally will become famous soon enoughsnaimpally will become famous soon enoughsnaimpally will become famous soon enoughsnaimpally will become famous soon enoughsnaimpally will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by typericey View Post

I recently have been shopping for a bookshelf speaker for home use and several speaker manufacturers who use the Usher 9950 tweeter mention that the Usher is essentially a clone of the Scan 9500 tweeters. My understanding from reading posts at DIYaudio is that Usher reverse engineered Scan's designs and then tweaked them (to avoid patent infringement issues and to improve the design) so it doesn't surprise me that the User woofers are similar to Scans.

2011 BMW 335i M/T
Dynavin N6 -> Helix DSP Pro -> AS100.4(L)+AS-100.4(R)+AS200.2(sub) -> MP Z-series + Dyn 430 + MP 6.5" + Dyn 1200 (IB)
snaimpally is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-01-2009   #24
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 149 falkenbd will become famous soon enoughfalkenbd will become famous soon enoughfalkenbd will become famous soon enoughfalkenbd will become famous soon enoughfalkenbd will become famous soon enoughfalkenbd will become famous soon enough

wow, nice job.

Is your mic calibrated?
falkenbd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-01-2009   #25
DIYMA 500 Club

mic is calibrated!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement