PPI DCX-730 Digital Signal Processor - Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-13-2006   #1
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 176 crash813 will become famous soon enoughcrash813 will become famous soon enoughcrash813 will become famous soon enoughcrash813 will become famous soon enoughcrash813 will become famous soon enoughcrash813 will become famous soon enough

Default PPI DCX-730 Digital Signal Processor

Since these things look like they are going to be hitting super affordable prices and very little knowledge seems to be out there, I figure I'll post some stuff on it. (Plus gets me an entry in the raffle since any driver review by my rusty ears of doom would help no one! )

Anyways, just got this in today so this first post in just some initial information. Hopefully will be followed up with some hands-on notes in a few days.

Please excuse the pics....my audio hobby has left me little funds to replace my aging Nikon 2mp camera.....

Just for the record, this is one from Ikesound.com and yes, it was on ~$160 shipped. Its definately new in box. All new hardware, no signs of use on anything, no refrub stickers or scratched off S/N's.

Very nice looking pieces. Processor unit is probably about 6" x 4". The controller is 1/2 din, probably an inch deep so no velcroing this one on. Pieces are stamped, made in korea.

Won't know how readable the display is until I power it on and hit the sunlight, but hopefully, this will be a set and leave it alone. Buttons are large enough and well laid out. Only issue I don't like is one of the buttons is a disgusied rubber cap for the usb port. Not sure how long that will stay around before tearing off or discoloring. I'd probably like the port on the processor more than the controller but they didn't ask!

The processor has 3 sets of inputs, 3 sets of outputs and standard power block and controller port. Labeled for front, rear and sub. Although intersting enough, you can change those designations so front in doesn't go to front out.

Flipping through the manual, so things I like about the unit:
- low, bandpass, mid are all adjustable from 20hz to 20khz
- selectable slopes 6, 12, 18, 24 as well as selectable filters (butterworth or L-R)
- time alignment on each channel
- gain on each channel
- volume on each channel
- Q variable 0.1-9.0 (honestly, no idea what this does...but will definately play around with it)

Items I don't like about it:
- manual sucks! Its like 10 pages and barely describes any of the functions. Complete contrast to the Pioneer manuals for say the 860 I had which was a book that described not only functions but some theory behind them
- phase switch on each channel
- usb port on the front (which from reading the manual, probably has no support options yet)

Items I'm unsure about:
- don't know if you can drive all 6 outputs for one set of inputs? Manual never mentions this. If not, I'm going to have a mess of splitters.
- 7-band parametric eq. Not sure how well I'll like this. I've always used graphic eqs so this will be different.
- not sure how easy the menu will be to navigate
- not sure if crossovers will force the hp/lp for the drivers to be the same point of it you can over/under lap the ranges

These questions and more, I'm going to try to dive into over the next few days/weeks. But overall, I'd have to say this is the best new item I've bought for $160.

- Tommy
Planning the next system
crash813 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-14-2006   #2
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 162 vageta will become famous soon enoughvageta will become famous soon enoughvageta will become famous soon enoughvageta will become famous soon enoughvageta will become famous soon enoughvageta will become famous soon enough

Default Re: PPI DCX-730 Digital Signal Processor

I'm very interested in your findings, especially for the price. You can't be a 3-way active xover with TA and EQ thrown in for good measure for that price. It's a steal.
vageta is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-14-2006   #3
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 177 harrier will become famous soon enoughharrier will become famous soon enoughharrier will become famous soon enoughharrier will become famous soon enoughharrier will become famous soon enoughharrier will become famous soon enough

Curious too.
Look forward to your findings
harrier is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2006   #4
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 180 ludlamtheory will become famous soon enoughludlamtheory will become famous soon enoughludlamtheory will become famous soon enoughludlamtheory will become famous soon enoughludlamtheory will become famous soon enoughludlamtheory will become famous soon enough

Send a message via AIM to ludlamtheory Send a message via MSN to ludlamtheory

i ordered one...
i hope i get it somewhat soon...

the revolution is over, and so as to not inconvenience anyone, nothing has changed...

diyma land yacht club co-founder

civic got wrecked.
caprice station wagon about to get some love...
ludlamtheory is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-14-2006   #5
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 162 petern23 will become famous soon enoughpetern23 will become famous soon enoughpetern23 will become famous soon enoughpetern23 will become famous soon enoughpetern23 will become famous soon enoughpetern23 will become famous soon enough

Amazing price! I ordered one and await your review. Does it have a line driver? I use an Audiocontrol HPX (similar to Three.1) for that now and it would be nice to put everything in one box.
petern23 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-14-2006   #6
Upgrade Your Membership!

DIYMA Founder

Rep Power: 224 npdang will become famous soon enoughnpdang will become famous soon enoughnpdang will become famous soon enoughnpdang will become famous soon enoughnpdang will become famous soon enoughnpdang will become famous soon enoughnpdang will become famous soon enough

Send a message via ICQ to npdang Send a message via AIM to npdang Send a message via Yahoo to npdang

My two cents... just from looking at the features list.

This unit is considerably better Imo feature wise than the h701, especially if you are using a stereo setup.

1. The eq is 7 band per channel, with q adjustments from 1 to 9, and level adjust from +/-18db. You also don't have the h701 limitations with setting points too close to each other, AND you have the option for high/low shelving filters. Imho this is far, far better than Alpine's parametric eq in terms of response shaping flexibility.
2. Higher pre-out voltage
3. re-rerouting inputs/outputs
4. crossover type select butterworth/l-r

There are a few unknown here's though... such as reliability and noise. But the Alpine isn't exactly a champ here either. Look forward to hearing more feedback.

A speaker is only as good as the room you put it in.

Last edited by npdang; 10-14-2006 at 12:52 PM..
npdang is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-14-2006   #7
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 95 bassfromspace will become famous soon enoughbassfromspace will become famous soon enoughbassfromspace will become famous soon enoughbassfromspace will become famous soon enoughbassfromspace will become famous soon enoughbassfromspace will become famous soon enoughbassfromspace will become famous soon enoughbassfromspace will become famous soon enoughbassfromspace will become famous soon enoughbassfromspace will become famous soon enoughbassfromspace will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by npdang
My two cents... just from looking at the features list.

This unit is considerably better Imo feature wise than the h701, especially if you are using a stereo setup.

1. The eq is 7 band per channel, with q adjustments from 1 to 9, and level adjust from +/-18db. You also don't have the h701 limitations with setting points too close to each other, AND you have the option for high/low shelving filters. Imho this is far, far better than Alpine's parametric eq in terms of response shaping flexibility.
2. Higher pre-out voltage
3. re-rerouting inputs/outputs
4. crossover type select butterworth/l-r

There are a few unknown here's though... such as reliability and noise. But the Alpine isn't exactly a champ here either. Look forward to hearing more feedback.
Oh No!!!!!!! The Alpine goons are gonna come get you.
bassfromspace is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-14-2006   #8
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 162 97teg will become famous soon enough97teg will become famous soon enough97teg will become famous soon enough97teg will become famous soon enough97teg will become famous soon enough97teg will become famous soon enough

Wow I didnt know anything about this processor. It sounds very intersting. Ive been looking at an audio control piece but thats a lot more. I also just happen to have a 1/2 din slot open. 7 bands per channel should be more then enough esp with a peq. Can it do phase on each channel or anything?
97teg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-14-2006   #9

Rep Power: 0 effenay will become famous soon enougheffenay will become famous soon enougheffenay will become famous soon enougheffenay will become famous soon enougheffenay will become famous soon enougheffenay will become famous soon enough

Great post! Looking forward to reading your performance and listening impressions.

Too bad this processor doesn't have any digital inputs. It seems like such a waste to have the signal go through D/A, then A/D, and finally back through D/A once again.
effenay is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-14-2006   #10
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 180 ludlamtheory will become famous soon enoughludlamtheory will become famous soon enoughludlamtheory will become famous soon enoughludlamtheory will become famous soon enoughludlamtheory will become famous soon enoughludlamtheory will become famous soon enough

Send a message via AIM to ludlamtheory Send a message via MSN to ludlamtheory

Quote:
Originally Posted by effenay
Great post! Looking forward to reading your performance and listening impressions.

Too bad this processor doesn't have any digital inputs. It seems like such a waste to have the signal go through D/A, then A/D, and finally back through D/A once again.
is that how much credit you give us?

im sure it wouldn't be too hard to bypass the input stage for total goodness

the revolution is over, and so as to not inconvenience anyone, nothing has changed...

diyma land yacht club co-founder

civic got wrecked.
caprice station wagon about to get some love...
ludlamtheory is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-15-2006   #11
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 167 jearhart will become famous soon enoughjearhart will become famous soon enoughjearhart will become famous soon enoughjearhart will become famous soon enoughjearhart will become famous soon enoughjearhart will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by crash813
Items I don't like about it:
- manual sucks! Its like 10 pages and barely describes any of the functions. Complete contrast to the Pioneer manuals for say the 860 I had which was a book that described not only functions but some theory behind them
- phase switch on each channel
- usb port on the front (which from reading the manual, probably has no support options yet)
so are you saying it HAS phase switch on each channel or DOESNT?
jearhart is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-15-2006   #12
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 176 crash813 will become famous soon enoughcrash813 will become famous soon enoughcrash813 will become famous soon enoughcrash813 will become famous soon enoughcrash813 will become famous soon enoughcrash813 will become famous soon enough

Oops, sorry...gotta reread what I type.

It doesn't have the ability to switch the phase. I'm really disappointed in that. Would of made tuning much easier.

- Tommy
Planning the next system
Old 10-15-2006   #13
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 162 petern23 will become famous soon enoughpetern23 will become famous soon enoughpetern23 will become famous soon enoughpetern23 will become famous soon enoughpetern23 will become famous soon enoughpetern23 will become famous soon enough

So maybe I'll have to keep my PSC-221's after all.

That makes it Sony HU -> AudioControl HPX -> DCX-730 -> PPI PSC-221's for highs and mids each.

Hmmm... I'm going to stick to the KISS principle and cut out everything 'cep the DCX if I decide to use it for this install. I had an interview last week so maybe I'll be in the running for a new ride if I get the job ($$$) and then I'll start this whole ordeal all over again. I feel like I've been in the garage for a month straight!
petern23 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-15-2006   #14
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 167 jearhart will become famous soon enoughjearhart will become famous soon enoughjearhart will become famous soon enoughjearhart will become famous soon enoughjearhart will become famous soon enoughjearhart will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by crash813
Oops, sorry...gotta reread what I type.

It doesn't have the ability to switch the phase. I'm really disappointed in that. Would of made tuning much easier.
that really sucks! oh well you cant complain too much since it can do pretty much anything else for a price point that is unheard of.
jearhart is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-16-2006   #15
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 169 pptwo will become famous soon enoughpptwo will become famous soon enoughpptwo will become famous soon enoughpptwo will become famous soon enoughpptwo will become famous soon enoughpptwo will become famous soon enough

I ordered one ... can't wait until i get my hands on it....

Amazing price for what it can do compare to H700 (if you are not going digital/opt input)
pptwo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-17-2006   #16
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 160 dakine is on a distinguished roaddakine is on a distinguished roaddakine is on a distinguished roaddakine is on a distinguished roaddakine is on a distinguished road

the h700 and horns are the best.
dakine is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-17-2006   #17
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 160 dakine is on a distinguished roaddakine is on a distinguished roaddakine is on a distinguished roaddakine is on a distinguished roaddakine is on a distinguished road

oh yea the alto mobile drive 30 is the best too. absolutely no noise or popping, awsome software and easy to use.
Old 10-17-2006   #18
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 191 dual700 will become famous soon enoughdual700 will become famous soon enoughdual700 will become famous soon enoughdual700 will become famous soon enoughdual700 will become famous soon enoughdual700 will become famous soon enough

Send a message via AIM to dual700

Quote:
Originally Posted by dakine
oh yea the alto mobile drive 30 is the best too. absolutely no noise or popping, awsome software and easy to use.
Have you seen alto mobile's forum on drive 30? So many issues and complaints
I had 7 of them. all crapped. npdang had his share also.
But maybe you got the newest version.
For me, I am not gonna touch alto ever again.

I agree on H700. My favorite processor of all time.
I had 3 H900, all had noise/pop/issues.

Npdang is a sexy mofo
dual700 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-17-2006   #19
DIYMA 500 Club

Hey eng its chris. I was being sarcastic. heh. The alto is a pos. When I get my PPI unit I am going take a sledge hammer to my alto.
Old 10-17-2006   #20
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 175 luvdeftonz will become famous soon enoughluvdeftonz will become famous soon enoughluvdeftonz will become famous soon enoughluvdeftonz will become famous soon enoughluvdeftonz will become famous soon enoughluvdeftonz will become famous soon enough

Send a message via ICQ to luvdeftonz Send a message via AIM to luvdeftonz Send a message via Yahoo to luvdeftonz

Quote:
When I get my PPI unit I am going take a sledge hammer to my alto.
Video please

The power of accurate observation is frequently called cynicism by those who don't have it.
luvdeftonz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-17-2006   #21
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 191 dual700 will become famous soon enoughdual700 will become famous soon enoughdual700 will become famous soon enoughdual700 will become famous soon enoughdual700 will become famous soon enoughdual700 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Hey eng its chris. I was being sarcastic. heh. The alto is a pos. When I get my PPI unit I am going take a sledge hammer to my alto.
My bad, Chris!!!
How've you been? Long time no see, you in bay area now?

Npdang is a sexy mofo
Old 10-17-2006   #22
DIYMA 500 Club

Yea im in the bay area for dental school. I've been pretty good. How about you? What do you have going in your car right now? I've been out of the audio scene for awhile. Still running my lotus mids, morel mdt 43's and my 10w7.
Old 10-17-2006   #23
DIYMA 500 Club

Man, I have changed 3 cars, maybe 50+ amps since last time we met.
When are you coming down?
Give me discount fixing my teeth, dude, I only got 7 teeth untouched, muahahhaa

Npdang is a sexy mofo
Old 10-17-2006   #24
DIYMA 500 Club

hey guys.....maybe take the hugging off-line

Anyways, hooked it up and did some quick playing around with the unit.

some things I verified:
- any input can drive any output, including multiple outputs so 1 in/ 3 out works
- almost every setting can be applied either to front, rear, sub, front L, front R, rear L, rear R, sub L and sub R.....these include sensitivity, time alignment, x-over points, q-bass, and yes.....7-band eq

Didn't really get any listening time but wanted to pass this info on.

- Tommy
Planning the next system
Old 10-17-2006   #25
DIYMA 500 Club

Also forgot to mention:

Each crossover band is independent so you can over/underlap each one. You can also bandpass, hp, or lp either 1, 2 or all the channels.

Crossover frequencies are in 1 hz increments.

Setting everything up can be a pain. A web app that you can setup and then upload to it would of been great.

- Tommy
Planning the next system
Sponsored Links
Advertisement