Boston Acoustics G5: The forgotten SQ subs? - Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-17-2009   #1
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 157 ealvar will become famous soon enoughealvar will become famous soon enoughealvar will become famous soon enoughealvar will become famous soon enoughealvar will become famous soon enoughealvar will become famous soon enough

Default Boston Acoustics G5: The forgotten SQ subs?

So, I've been dabbling in car audio for the last 15 years or so and have plenty of experience with a variety of brands. Started with a single JL Audio 10W1, bumped up to a pair of 10W6s, then an Adire Brahma (1st gen), followed by various other brands before settling for a long trend of using only Image Dynamics ID & IDQ series.

Recently I decided to trim down my system and go small, with a single Boston Acoustics GT-40 powering a set of Image Dynamics CXS64 (v1) and an Elemental Designs SQ10 in a stealth installation.

Elemental Designs rates the SQ10 with a power handling of 350w RMS. I think eD was being a bit optimistic. At 240w, and being responsible with the gains the SQ10 would bottom out. I'd say 200w is a safe place for the SQ10 to be and I'd advise a high pass crossover point around 38Hz as it really struggles with anything below that. This was in the proscribed 0.3ft^3 sealed enclosure.

The stealth install looked good and it was nice to have some rear hatch space again for grocery runs but I was underwhelmed by the sound quality and output of the SQ10 so I decided to look at other options. Don't get me wrong, at moderate volumes the SQ10 was fine. Anything close to 'loud' really put the SQ10 to shame.

So, I pulled out my ID12V3, put it in a 1.25ft^3 enclosure and lost most of my rear hatch space. I was very happy with the Boston Acoustics GT-40 so I picked up a GT-22 for a great deal and it powered the ID12 while I looked at other options. I also upgraded my head unit from an Eclipse CD5425 to a CD7000 and decided to go semi-active since the CD7000 has some fantastic crossover capabilities. By'semi-active' I mean running the CX64 mids bandpassed from 80Hz to 3.1kHz and the tweets at 3.1kHz but keeping the NX4 passive crossover in the mix for tweeter protection. Overall I was pretty happy with the way things were sounding, except for the sub. The ID12v3 is a good sub, but not a great SQ sub and after many years of ID & IDQ subs I figured it was time for a change.

I decided to focus on a 10" or 12" SQ subs with a power handling around 500w. The DIYMA was high on my list but I was unable to find one. Considered the W7 and IDMax but they were a bit pricey.

Luckily I ran into an old friend who had a Boston Acoustics G5 12" in a sealed enclosure. He raved out the sound quality and the output. I brought over some of my favorite CDs and took a listen. Very impressive. Tight, loud, accurate, and hit the lows right on target. And it did it with around 500w which was in the power range of my GT-22 when bridged mono.

I did some research and was very impressed with the G5 in terms of specs and it also looked to be a very high quality built sub. Throw in the fact that you can buy soft part replacement assemblies for under $100 and I was sold.

Unfortunately retail on the G5s was a little out of my budget so I kept looking for a good deal and finally found it this weekend.

A local dealer was closing out his Boston Acoustics products because he was dropping the brand from his inventory (bummer for him, great for me).

With size again being an issue for my installation (I drive an '06 Scion xA) I decided to go with a 10". Fortunately he had the G510RS which is a 0.5ft^3 net enclosure with the GTR10 passive radiator tuned at 35Hz.

I've never really seen passive radiators used in car applications but decided to give it a shot, and it was a choice I won't regret.

Boston claims the passive radiator will give you a boost of 3dB with the sub/radiator combo giving a larger moving mass.

The G510RS is a 2ohm load and is rated at 450w RMS which is a perfect match for my GT-22 bridged mono (around 500w RMS). Using Boston's 'QTune' settings I adjusted gains, set high pass crossover at 34Hz, and set the 'Q' to the recommend 1.0 settings (this is a feature on Boston amps, not sure how it would relate to other amps), and did some tweaking.

After listening to some of my favorite CDs I was extremely impressed. Kick drums were tight and could be felt in your chest. Trance bass lines hit hard and true. Popped in some jazz with upright bass and each pluck of the strings sounded dead on. Old skool rap, like NWA, Public Enemy, Dr Dre shook my ride with that sick ghetto bass.

The G510RS has a pretty small footprint. It is wedge shaped with the sub and radiator on opposite sides of the enclosure. I still lose some of my precious rear hatch real estate but it is a compromise I'm willing to make.

During the research phase of my sub search I really came across nothing about the G5 subs. Not many credible reviews aside from a few customer reviews on Crutchfield and SonicElectronix which should be taken with a grain of salt.

I have to give the G5 two thumbs up and would definitely recommend anyone considering a SQ sub to take a look and a listen.

The build quality of these subs is incredible. One of the first things I did after picking up the G510RS was to take it apart to look at the sub, the enclosure, and the adjust passive radiator system. Top notch, and I don't think I've ever seen a sub that looks as impressive as the G5 does.

Another cool thing is that the passive radiator is adjustable by using weights that come with the sub. The have clear instructions on how to tweak the radiator to achieve different tuning frequencies. I was happy with the 34Hz so I left it there but I'll probably spend some time this week tweaking it to see what sounds best in my little xA.

I'm really surprised the Boston G5 series subs aren't talked about more. They simply kick ass

I should probably also comment on the Boston GT series amps. Small footprint, 2ohm mono/1ohm stereo friendly, conservative RMS ratings and great controls. They feature active cooling, a solid heat sink and the internals show excellent build quality. (Take a look at Ampguts.)

Here's a stock photo. I neglected to take pictures of my own sub after taking apart the enclosure. If I get around to it I'll add pictures of the G510RS components, including the G51044, the GTR10 radiator, the tuning system, and the enclosure itself.

-=- '11 Camaro -=- Boston Acoustics Z6 Components -=- Boston Acoustics G510 subs -=- Boston Acoustics GT amps -=-
ealvar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-18-2009   #2
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 143 tceejay will become famous soon enoughtceejay will become famous soon enoughtceejay will become famous soon enoughtceejay will become famous soon enoughtceejay will become famous soon enoughtceejay will become famous soon enough

Default Re: Boston Acoustics G5: The forgotten SQ subs?

Hey man, thanks for selling me the GT50. I should have showed you my 12" g5 with PR on Sunday. Very nice review and I agree, they do kick ass.

tceejay is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-18-2009   #3
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 157 ealvar will become famous soon enoughealvar will become famous soon enoughealvar will become famous soon enoughealvar will become famous soon enoughealvar will become famous soon enoughealvar will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by tceejay View Post
Hey man, thanks for selling me the GT50. I should have showed you my 12" g5 with PR on Sunday. Very nice review and I agree, they do kick ass.
Wow, I wish I would have checked that out. Sweet install!

Glad the GT-50 and ID12 found a good home

E

-=- '11 Camaro -=- Boston Acoustics Z6 Components -=- Boston Acoustics G510 subs -=- Boston Acoustics GT amps -=-

Old 08-18-2009   #4
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 132 bmwproboi05 will become famous soon enoughbmwproboi05 will become famous soon enoughbmwproboi05 will become famous soon enoughbmwproboi05 will become famous soon enoughbmwproboi05 will become famous soon enoughbmwproboi05 will become famous soon enough

How do they compare to the w6

2006 pwp tsx
Alpine 9886 / Focal krx2 / Focal Fp 2.150/ Jl 500/1 / Jl 300/4
2012 Ridgeline Sport:
bmwproboi05 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-19-2009   #5
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 143 tceejay will become famous soon enoughtceejay will become famous soon enoughtceejay will become famous soon enoughtceejay will become famous soon enoughtceejay will become famous soon enoughtceejay will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwproboi05 View Post
How do they compare to the w6
wish i could tell you. I have not heard a w6 in person yet.
Old 08-20-2009   #6
DIYMA 500 Club

Quote:
wish i could tell you. I have not heard a w6 in person yet.
My second install included a pair of the original JL 10W6 subs, not the v2s, in a GMC Sierra x-cab truck. To be honest my listening habits were a bit different than they are now. My recollection is having my ears ringing after every time I hopped in the truck. They sounded good and loud but admittedly my goal wasn't SQ at the time. Hard for me to make a comparison since so much time has elapsed between then and now.

Old 08-21-2009   #7
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 184 chithead is a glorious beacon of lightchithead is a glorious beacon of lightchithead is a glorious beacon of lightchithead is a glorious beacon of lightchithead is a glorious beacon of lightchithead is a glorious beacon of lightchithead is a glorious beacon of lightchithead is a glorious beacon of lightchithead is a glorious beacon of lightchithead is a glorious beacon of lightchithead is a glorious beacon of light

This is a very good review. The Boston G5 has been in my crosshairs for quite some time now, but like you, the price is a determining factor for my purchases. And I haven't come across the right price yet on one.
chithead is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-21-2009   #8
DIYMA 500 Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by chithead View Post
This is a very good review. The Boston G5 has been in my crosshairs for quite some time now, but like you, the price is a determining factor for my purchases. And I haven't come across the right price yet on one.
They're definitely hard to come by now that Boston discontinued the G5 line. Best bet is the $170 G510-4 at Crutchfield and the $80 SPS 10" replacement assembly from SonicElectronix. I picked up the SPS-G51044 from SonicElectronix 'just in case'. Figure it's better to buy one now when they're available rather than wait until stock is even more scarce than it is now.

You can also pick up the GTR10 for $60 from SonicElectronix if you want to go the passive radiator route.

SonicElectronix only accepts phone orders for the SPS assemblies as they're special order.

Old 08-21-2009   #9
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 184 chithead is a glorious beacon of lightchithead is a glorious beacon of lightchithead is a glorious beacon of lightchithead is a glorious beacon of lightchithead is a glorious beacon of lightchithead is a glorious beacon of lightchithead is a glorious beacon of lightchithead is a glorious beacon of lightchithead is a glorious beacon of lightchithead is a glorious beacon of lightchithead is a glorious beacon of light

GREAT idea. Better to get the recones while you can since it is such an "easy" repair.
chithead is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-21-2009   #10
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 161 Brian Steele will become famous soon enoughBrian Steele will become famous soon enoughBrian Steele will become famous soon enoughBrian Steele will become famous soon enoughBrian Steele will become famous soon enoughBrian Steele will become famous soon enough

Quote:

Is that the PR in the bottom half of your pic?

Brian Steele
www.diysubwoofers.org
Brian Steele is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-21-2009   #11
DIYMA 500 Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Steele View Post
Is that the PR in the bottom half of your pic?
Yup, he's running the GTR12. If you look closely you can see the 'GTR' on the non-inverted cone.

Tceejay, how large is your enclosure?

E

Old 08-21-2009   #12
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 161 Brian Steele will become famous soon enoughBrian Steele will become famous soon enoughBrian Steele will become famous soon enoughBrian Steele will become famous soon enoughBrian Steele will become famous soon enoughBrian Steele will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by ealvar View Post
Yup, he's running the GTR12. If you look closely you can see the 'GTR' on the non-inverted cone.
Ok - I was a bit curious, as the typically PRs should not be used facing up or down like that, due to cone sag (a PR's cone is usually significantly heavier than an active driver's cone). However, BO's site doesn't mention this, and even gives sample designs with the PR in that position. I wonder how they tackled the cone sag problem...

Brian Steele
www.diysubwoofers.org
Brian Steele is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-21-2009   #13
DIYMA 500 Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by ealvar View Post

Tceejay, how large is your enclosure?

E
its 1.0 cuft net
Old 08-23-2009   #14
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 125 sapp591 will become famous soon enoughsapp591 will become famous soon enoughsapp591 will become famous soon enoughsapp591 will become famous soon enoughsapp591 will become famous soon enoughsapp591 will become famous soon enough

I have 2 G510-4 in a custom ported box tuned to 32Hz running on a pdx 600.1, soon to be powered by a Zed Audio Leviathan. I love them, most people that listen to mine think they are 12s. Thinking about possiably selling them when my new amp arives, as they will being drivin by 1200 watts per pair vs 600 now. I think I will see how they do first before I sell them!
sapp591 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-25-2009   #15
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 190 BigRed is just really niceBigRed is just really niceBigRed is just really niceBigRed is just really niceBigRed is just really niceBigRed is just really niceBigRed is just really niceBigRed is just really niceBigRed is just really niceBigRed is just really niceBigRed is just really nice

I have 2 G5 12's in an ib config in my BMW, and they absolutely kick ass. very underrated in terms of sq. I had 4 of them in a Mercedes sealed and they sounded great and pounded if you wanted them to. i agree, definitely a sleeper sub in terms of recognition

Team Zapco
"once you go floor, you'll never go door"
"I can easily make the most expensive car stereo system sound like junk in less than 30 seconds"
BigRed is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-18-2009   #16
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 126 ta_nhra02 will become famous soon enoughta_nhra02 will become famous soon enoughta_nhra02 will become famous soon enoughta_nhra02 will become famous soon enoughta_nhra02 will become famous soon enoughta_nhra02 will become famous soon enough

If anybody has time. Check this out for a second. Do you guys know each other?

Read where it says Cutout & Mounting Dimensions

Boston Acoustics **NEW** G5 10" Single 4 Ohm Subwoofer - eBay (item 280424708221 end time Dec-16-09 09:42:15 PST)
ta_nhra02 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-18-2009   #17
DIYMA 500 Club

This place

Rep Power: 40147 schmiddr2 has a reputation beyond reputeschmiddr2 has a reputation beyond reputeschmiddr2 has a reputation beyond reputeschmiddr2 has a reputation beyond reputeschmiddr2 has a reputation beyond reputeschmiddr2 has a reputation beyond reputeschmiddr2 has a reputation beyond reputeschmiddr2 has a reputation beyond reputeschmiddr2 has a reputation beyond reputeschmiddr2 has a reputation beyond reputeschmiddr2 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ta_nhra02 View Post
Do you guys know each other?
LOL. Good find.
schmiddr2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-18-2009   #18
DIYMA 500 Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by ta_nhra02 View Post
If anybody has time. Check this out for a second. Do you guys know each other?

Read where it says Cutout & Mounting Dimensions

Boston Acoustics **NEW** G5 10" Single 4 Ohm Subwoofer - eBay (item 280424708221 end time Dec-16-09 09:42:15 PST)
Wow... can't believe the guy basically copied and pasted most of my review. I have no idea who this guy is.

I'm going to send him a message... if he's going to use my words he should at least have some kind of attribution.

Old 11-18-2009   #19
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 187 rexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond repute

I have been a long time fan of the g5 subs.... I feel like they were a pretty good deal regardless msrp or "online" based on what you get out of them. I also feel the G3 is an equally great sub in its own right and is a little less $. Boston Acoustics is one of the old school local companys that have always done it "right" quality vs. cost. They are like old A/D/S (were not that far from each other either) Boston has managed to stay in the game and stay at a high level. I have recomended them several times all over this forum but no one ever wants to take the plunge.....Glad to hear your review!
rexroadj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-18-2009   #20
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 126 ta_nhra02 will become famous soon enoughta_nhra02 will become famous soon enoughta_nhra02 will become famous soon enoughta_nhra02 will become famous soon enoughta_nhra02 will become famous soon enoughta_nhra02 will become famous soon enough

Do I get some sort of DIYMA purple heart for this? Lol just kidding. This is not right. Please keep us updated!
ta_nhra02 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-18-2009   #21

Rep Power: 0 rugdnit is a jewel in the roughrugdnit is a jewel in the roughrugdnit is a jewel in the roughrugdnit is a jewel in the roughrugdnit is a jewel in the roughrugdnit is a jewel in the roughrugdnit is a jewel in the roughrugdnit is a jewel in the roughrugdnit is a jewel in the roughrugdnit is a jewel in the roughrugdnit is a jewel in the rough

Has anybody heard the G5 and a soundsplinter rli-10??? any comparisons or observations?
rugdnit is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-19-2009   #22
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 130 240sxguy will become famous soon enough240sxguy will become famous soon enough240sxguy will become famous soon enough240sxguy will become famous soon enough240sxguy will become famous soon enough240sxguy will become famous soon enough

he apologized and pulled the description.
240sxguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-19-2009   #23
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 171 cubdenno will become famous soon enoughcubdenno will become famous soon enoughcubdenno will become famous soon enoughcubdenno will become famous soon enoughcubdenno will become famous soon enoughcubdenno will become famous soon enoughcubdenno will become famous soon enough

Send a message via ICQ to cubdenno

My friend runs 2 g5-10's in his car. Great subs. As for rl-i, I have listened to Sound Splinter and love the TC based subs. In the right box, I don't think you will go wrong. I believe the SS will take more power though but power handling is really a function of the enclosure so issues I have seen regarding the G5 were enclosure related.

It is very easy to conflate cause and effect that are unrelated in audio design. In fact, the entire audiophile industry is based upon this ease of fallacy.

"Heck yeah you can spend more to get the same sound."
cubdenno is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-19-2009   #24
DIYMA 500 Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by 240sxguy View Post
he apologized and pulled the description.
Yup... he was pretty quick about it. I told him he could use the review, no problem, just as long as he gave proper attribution or linked back to the original review here on DIYMA.

No harm no foul, I spose. Thanks to ta_nhra02 for spotting this.

Old 11-19-2009   #25

Rep Power: 0 rugdnit is a jewel in the roughrugdnit is a jewel in the roughrugdnit is a jewel in the roughrugdnit is a jewel in the roughrugdnit is a jewel in the roughrugdnit is a jewel in the roughrugdnit is a jewel in the roughrugdnit is a jewel in the roughrugdnit is a jewel in the roughrugdnit is a jewel in the roughrugdnit is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by cubdenno View Post
My friend runs 2 g5-10's in his car. Great subs. As for rl-i, I have listened to Sound Splinter and love the TC based subs. In the right box, I don't think you will go wrong. I believe the SS will take more power though but power handling is really a function of the enclosure so issues I have seen regarding the G5 were enclosure related.
sorry to Hi-Jack this thread... just curious... and thank you!
rugdnit is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement