12W7 vs 10W6v2 - Page 2 - Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-16-2006   #26

Rep Power: 0 amator will become famous soon enoughamator will become famous soon enoughamator will become famous soon enoughamator will become famous soon enoughamator will become famous soon enoughamator will become famous soon enough

Default Re: 12W7 vs 10W6v2

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Blue Blur
that is tremendously odd to me. What is supposed to be a subwoofer is more like an overgrown dedicated mono midbass?
have been told 1 cu foot would make it go lower.
amator is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-17-2006   #27
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 168 fuscobal is on a distinguished roadfuscobal is on a distinguished roadfuscobal is on a distinguished roadfuscobal is on a distinguished roadfuscobal is on a distinguished road

Send a message via Yahoo to fuscobal

Any sub will go lower in a bigger box. U can make simulations and play with the volume until u get the QTC u want. Weird what u've seen with your RTA. For me it was flat until 20Hz and when i applied a HPF at 16Hz i felt a very small diference. I don't know what to say. The 12W7 had much more authority down low but if the W6 is flat until 20Hz how low can W7 go and still be felt by the human ear ? I forgot to measure the W7 too
fuscobal is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-17-2006   #28
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 168 fuscobal is on a distinguished roadfuscobal is on a distinguished roadfuscobal is on a distinguished roadfuscobal is on a distinguished roadfuscobal is on a distinguished road

Hmm, Amator, after what you said, I've measured the box and it seems the boys made it bigger than Jl recommended. It seems it has 1cuft instead of 0.625 (recommended) and i guess that's why it stays flat until 20Hz. What's interesting, is that it doesn't loose precision also compared with the midbass and blends very well !

Old 11-20-2006   #29

Rep Power: 0 amator will become famous soon enoughamator will become famous soon enoughamator will become famous soon enoughamator will become famous soon enoughamator will become famous soon enoughamator will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuscobal
Hmm, Amator, after what you said, I've measured the box and it seems the boys made it bigger than Jl recommended. It seems it has 1cuft instead of 0.625 (recommended) and i guess that's why it stays flat until 20Hz. What's interesting, is that it doesn't loose precision also compared with the midbass and blends very well !
It looks like i shld redo till 1 cu feet then Though It blends totally with the midbass now and appears totally upfront. There is however NO low end authority or 'bloom"
Old 12-15-2006   #30

Rep Power: 0 Fellippe will become famous soon enoughFellippe will become famous soon enoughFellippe will become famous soon enoughFellippe will become famous soon enoughFellippe will become famous soon enoughFellippe will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by amator
It looks like i shld redo till 1 cu feet then Though It blends totally with the midbass now and appears totally upfront. There is however NO low end authority or 'bloom"
Right now, my initial impressions after a month of ownership is that amator is right...

I believe my box is around .7 cubic feet....hard to measure since it's fiberglass behind a wrapped quarter panel in the back of the car.

The only thing I can do is stuff with polyfill....
Fellippe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-17-2006   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fellippe
Right now, my initial impressions after a month of ownership is that amator is right...

I believe my box is around .7 cubic feet....hard to measure since it's fiberglass behind a wrapped quarter panel in the back of the car.

The only thing I can do is stuff with polyfill....
Im also gonna stuff mine with polyfill, last resort will be slightly bigger to 1 Cu foot.
I tried to play a bit of bass boost and Q ard 20-25hz using my Jl 500/1 but havent concluded whether its natural sounding enough.
Old 12-18-2006   #32
DIYMA 500 Club

Hmm, don't know if a boost at 20Hz won't stress that 10" driver too much. I don't think a boost will be able to replace the smaller cone area of a 12 or 15" driver. I did play with the boost on someone else's 10" driver and i felt the driver was stressed and unnatural sounding !
Old 01-01-2007   #33
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 197 GlasSman will become famous soon enoughGlasSman will become famous soon enoughGlasSman will become famous soon enoughGlasSman will become famous soon enoughGlasSman will become famous soon enoughGlasSman will become famous soon enough

None of these problems are present in ANY sub from Image Dynamics. Is it worth messing around with subs that don't have bottom end? If they don't all they are is a midbass driver.

///Alpine / Soundstream / Image Dynamics / MB Quart / Fountek

---Custom fabricated speaker baffles and templates---
GlasSman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-10-2007   #34

will the 10w6v2 play optimally upwards to 85 to 90hz.
Old 08-07-2007   #35
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 166 avaxis will become famous soon enoughavaxis will become famous soon enoughavaxis will become famous soon enoughavaxis will become famous soon enoughavaxis will become famous soon enoughavaxis will become famous soon enough

i own a 10w6v2 as well, in the box size recommended by JL Audio <0.7cuft3. i feel there's not much kick to it (compared to, say a 12" XLS) and its very subtle and blends very well with the mids.

what can be done?
avaxis is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-07-2007   #36
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 199 Whiterabbit will become famous soon enoughWhiterabbit will become famous soon enoughWhiterabbit will become famous soon enoughWhiterabbit will become famous soon enoughWhiterabbit will become famous soon enoughWhiterabbit will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by avaxis View Post
its very subtle and blends very well with the mids.

what can be done?
Sit back and enjoy an install well done.
Whiterabbit is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-13-2007   #37
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 166 avaxis will become famous soon enoughavaxis will become famous soon enoughavaxis will become famous soon enoughavaxis will become famous soon enoughavaxis will become famous soon enoughavaxis will become famous soon enough

what i meant to say is that..it doesn't feel like it goes low enough..
Old 08-13-2007   #38

Rep Power: 0 Fellippe will become famous soon enoughFellippe will become famous soon enoughFellippe will become famous soon enoughFellippe will become famous soon enoughFellippe will become famous soon enoughFellippe will become famous soon enough

Quote:
It's interesting, just a few posts above I'm knocking it for the same reason you are...

Now, I feel like going low enough isn't really the priority anymore but midbass integration. I feel the sub could some some EQing in the lower octaves to smoothen out the sound when I really crank them.

As for low end response, increasing amplifier power and/or increasing enclosure size would be my best bet...I've done the former and it's helped a lot. You could try polyfill if you can't rebuild your enclosure.

In an ideal world, multiple subs in big enclosures would solve all of the problems we run into.

Fellippe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-15-2007   #39
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 182 DonutHands will become famous soon enoughDonutHands will become famous soon enoughDonutHands will become famous soon enoughDonutHands will become famous soon enoughDonutHands will become famous soon enoughDonutHands will become famous soon enough

Send a message via AIM to DonutHands

so the 10w6 sounds better when placed in the passanger footwell compared to the 12w7 in the trunk. who would have guessed?

2001 Audi S4
with speakers
DonutHands is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-11-2008   #40

Rep Power: 0 cal_bot will become famous soon enoughcal_bot will become famous soon enoughcal_bot will become famous soon enoughcal_bot will become famous soon enoughcal_bot will become famous soon enoughcal_bot will become famous soon enough

IMO JL tends to be too conservative in their recommended volumes, experiment if you can. just my $.02
cal_bot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-12-2008   #41
DIYMA 500 Club

Jumping from 0.7cuft to 1cuft would help you go lower and blend it with your midbass even better !
Old 11-18-2009   #42
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 123 mark1478 will become famous soon enoughmark1478 will become famous soon enoughmark1478 will become famous soon enoughmark1478 will become famous soon enoughmark1478 will become famous soon enoughmark1478 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlasSman View Post
None of these problems are present in ANY sub from Image Dynamics. Is it worth messing around with subs that don't have bottom end? If they don't all they are is a midbass driver.

im very interested in that IDMAX sub. problem is my fiberglass enclosure would have to be modificated by adding a 1/2 inch ring to it..changing the .8 box to a bigger box. The JL wouldnt present that problem, but im very interested in trying since the reviews since to be so good on them.
mark1478 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-02-2010   #43
DIYMA 500 Club

Quote:
well.. 2 years plus down the road, i blew my 10w6v2 today while i was playing music real loud trying to stay awake. really, it didn't felt it was hitting hard down low

anyway.. should i get the 12w7 now? the amp is a JL Audio 500/1..I don't intend to change amps. but it seems the 12w7 is power hungry..

the 10w6v2 was fine, it just didn't hit hard enough.. it blended well, was fast..mids are G18RNX + LPG 25nfa

my balls do not have hair, for hair does not grow on steel.
Old 03-02-2010   #44
Upgrade Your Membership!

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 309 subwoofery has a reputation beyond reputesubwoofery has a reputation beyond reputesubwoofery has a reputation beyond reputesubwoofery has a reputation beyond reputesubwoofery has a reputation beyond reputesubwoofery has a reputation beyond reputesubwoofery has a reputation beyond reputesubwoofery has a reputation beyond reputesubwoofery has a reputation beyond reputesubwoofery has a reputation beyond reputesubwoofery has a reputation beyond repute

I would choose a more efficient subwoofer since you will use "only" 500rms:
AE Speakers --- Superb Quality, Unforgettable Performance, Definitely.

In the right box, they'll hit lows, hit hard and blend with your mids better than a lot of subs out there.

Get the biggest sub you can (taking into account the enclosure size)

Kelvin

PS: they can custom subs to have a 4ohm voice coil.

Lycan
Quote:
I'll repeat it for the miliionth time : All amps do NOT sound the same ... It's astonishing to me that nobody understands this
Who knows, some might understand now
and here's another one and another <-- click on the links
subwoofery is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-02-2010   #45
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 94 bassfromspace will become famous soon enoughbassfromspace will become famous soon enoughbassfromspace will become famous soon enoughbassfromspace will become famous soon enoughbassfromspace will become famous soon enoughbassfromspace will become famous soon enoughbassfromspace will become famous soon enoughbassfromspace will become famous soon enoughbassfromspace will become famous soon enoughbassfromspace will become famous soon enoughbassfromspace will become famous soon enough

Quote:
well.. 2 years plus down the road, i blew my 10w6v2 today while i was playing music real loud trying to stay awake. really, it didn't felt it was hitting hard down low

anyway.. should i get the 12w7 now? the amp is a JL Audio 500/1..I don't intend to change amps. but it seems the 12w7 is power hungry..

the 10w6v2 was fine, it just didn't hit hard enough.. it blended well, was fast..mids are G18RNX + LPG 25nfa
The w7 would be a fine upgrade. Contrary to popular belief, the w7 on 500 watts will be plenty.
bassfromspace is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement