Hybrid Audio L1 Pro Special Edition ĖFirst Impressions - Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-06-2009   #1
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 141 ISTundra will become famous soon enoughISTundra will become famous soon enoughISTundra will become famous soon enoughISTundra will become famous soon enoughISTundra will become famous soon enoughISTundra will become famous soon enough

Default Hybrid Audio L1 Pro Special Edition ĖFirst Impressions

Iíve had my pair of HAT L1 Pro SEís (#54 in black) installed for a few days now, and I have seen very little feedback on these so far, so hereís my first crack at a short review of them.

Installation details: The L1ís are mounted low in the front doors and right next to L6ís. The tweeter mount is angled up at about 15 degrees and slightly back towards the dome light. The driverís side tweet is probably 60-70 degrees off axis from the driver position; the passenger side is probably less than 30 degrees off. I have a set of the regular L1 Proís that was previously installed in this location, and since both sets have the same form factor, I was able to A/B them for comparison. Here is the install location.

I run the L1ís off the 25w rear channels of a JL 500/5, with the L6ís running off the 100w front channels. I use the onboard crossovers of the amp, and the results of my experimentations with the crossover points are explained below. The sub channel and rear fill were faded out during testing.

Visuals: The L1 Pro SE is a stunner. The copper phase plug and trim ring look very upscale. The open mesh design of the grille really shows them off nicely. It looks nice with the grille removed, but I am leaving mine in place to keep grubby hands away. The original L1ís kinda look like vanilla when compared side by side with these. Iím very pleased with the way they look in my install, although I am wondering if I shouldnít have bought silver instead.

Listening Impressions: Right away after installing the SEís, I noticed improved/wider imaging and heightened presence of the sound stage over the original L1ís. The off-axis response is noticeably improved. The driver side tweeter normally fires directly into my leg and is somewhat attenuated because of it. If I move my leg out of the way, I can hear a noticeable difference in the original L1, but the SE is much less affected by this. Overall, vocals sound clearer and more detailed with the SEís.

With the original L1ís, I preferred to cross them over at about 4500 hz/24db slope. The SEís sounded fine at that setting, but they really shine playing lower. I A/Bíed them both at different points for effect. I liked the SEís crossed at about 3500 khz; when I play the originals that low, there is some distortion and harshness present. I did not play either of them any lower than ~2500 hz, which seemed to be missing some detail for both sets. At the top end, I didnít hear much difference; although overall Iíd say the clarity of the SEís is more apparent throughout its range.

If you canít tell, Iím really pleased with the SEís. In my system, they really make a noticeable improvement in the vocal range, off-axis response, and overall clarity. I canít say that Iíve demoíed a bunch of high-end drivers to compare them with, but I will say without a doubt that these are the best tweeters I have ever heard. If anyone in the Phoenix area wants to listen for themselves, let me know. I donít have a baller system thatís going to blow anyone away, but I bet anyone will be able to hear the differences I mention here.
ISTundra is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-18-2010   #2
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 142 TEGBOY will become famous soon enoughTEGBOY will become famous soon enoughTEGBOY will become famous soon enoughTEGBOY will become famous soon enoughTEGBOY will become famous soon enoughTEGBOY will become famous soon enough

Default Re: Hybrid Audio L1 Pro Special Edition ĖFirst Impressions

Nice review, so 3500k at 24db slope? I have spent ages messing around with my SE's trying to find the right xover point. My are pillar mounted.
TEGBOY is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-18-2010   #3
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 141 ISTundra will become famous soon enoughISTundra will become famous soon enoughISTundra will become famous soon enoughISTundra will become famous soon enoughISTundra will become famous soon enoughISTundra will become famous soon enough

I've switched to the Pioneer P99 deck now, and am experimenting again with HP points/slope/levels on these. They sound really bright below 5khz on the new deck with TA. The auto-tune on the P99 wants to HP these at 8Khz/12 db slope, surprisingly, but it doesn't sound all that bad, but I'd like to get these sounding good when playing lower.
ISTundra is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2010   #4
dkh
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 144 dkh will become famous soon enoughdkh will become famous soon enoughdkh will become famous soon enoughdkh will become famous soon enoughdkh will become famous soon enoughdkh will become famous soon enough

Try 18dB slopes between 4.5 - 8k...

I heard with a-pillar installs and more than 40 deg off-axis this might work wonders...

Make it happen...

Team Hybrids UK
dkh is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement