Review "Unexpected Creations" - Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-19-2010   #1
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 178 Se7en has much to be proud ofSe7en has much to be proud ofSe7en has much to be proud ofSe7en has much to be proud ofSe7en has much to be proud ofSe7en has much to be proud ofSe7en has much to be proud ofSe7en has much to be proud ofSe7en has much to be proud ofSe7en has much to be proud ofSe7en has much to be proud of

Default Review "Unexpected Creations"

Hey folks,

This is a review of Don Amann and Unexpected Creations. I wasn't really sure which section to put this in although I suppose it could be considered a prelude to an install log. Regardless, I've done all the Itrader stuff but this seems like a slightly different circumstances where I was not purchasing a used item from another member but buying something new from someone who runs a business but is also active on this forum. Seeing as how this is a business, I figured it only fair to evaluate the product that this business provides.

From the very first PM Don was very prompt, direct and professional. Shortly after that we were on the phone discussing products, system ideas and alternatives to those ideas. Don was always very friendly, knowledgeable and professional. Although Don is direct and opinionated, he has always been honest and I never felt as if Don was trying to make a quick buck off of me. Similarly, he was very patient with me and always made time to answer any questions that I had. This literally went on for weeks while I made my decisions and Don never lost composure and always made more time for me including a couple of 1AM calls.

For comparison sake, most audio shops (home and car) can barely make the time for me at all. It almost always feels like a quick sell and whoever gets me out of store fastest with a head unit purchase gets a free toaster and a lap dance.

This is really at the center of why I chose to write this product review. The product that Don provides is in my opinion, 2nd to none. If there were a Porsche or Ferrari of customer service, it would be "Unexpected Creations".

I ended up going with a full Esotar 2 setup as well as a "black" TRU Tech Super Billet 8. As opposed to going with the Esotar 650 mid bass, I decided to go with the Esotec 182 or 172. Don arranged to have Dynaudio send a dummy driver to me for measurement purposes (who does that?) and I ultimately went with the 182s.

A few weeks later, Don listed a few TRU demo amps in the classified section. I decided to buy the 2200 and 4100 from him and have them sent back to TRU to have the cases black anodized to match the Billet 8 as well as upgraded op amps. I'm not sure if I should say this, but I later found out that Don had TRU do custom white LEDs for all of the amps as well has having both amps upgraded to "S" cards and Stage III as a thank you for my business.

Honestly, I feel honored to have had the opportunity to do business with Don as well as consider him a friend. I appreciate his honesty and directness but above all else his business integrity. Honestly, I'm not sure how or if I can repay him beyond extending my strongest recommendation towards him and continuing to do business with him in the future.

Thanks again Don!

and now some pics

Speakers:

Se7en is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-19-2010   #2
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 178 Se7en has much to be proud ofSe7en has much to be proud ofSe7en has much to be proud ofSe7en has much to be proud ofSe7en has much to be proud ofSe7en has much to be proud ofSe7en has much to be proud ofSe7en has much to be proud ofSe7en has much to be proud ofSe7en has much to be proud ofSe7en has much to be proud of

Default Re: Review "Unexpected Creations"

Amps:

Old 01-19-2010   #3
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 362 azngotskills has a reputation beyond reputeazngotskills has a reputation beyond reputeazngotskills has a reputation beyond reputeazngotskills has a reputation beyond reputeazngotskills has a reputation beyond reputeazngotskills has a reputation beyond reputeazngotskills has a reputation beyond reputeazngotskills has a reputation beyond reputeazngotskills has a reputation beyond reputeazngotskills has a reputation beyond reputeazngotskills has a reputation beyond repute

Damn thats SEXY!!! Don is as well
azngotskills is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2010   #4
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 219 Mooble has a reputation beyond reputeMooble has a reputation beyond reputeMooble has a reputation beyond reputeMooble has a reputation beyond reputeMooble has a reputation beyond reputeMooble has a reputation beyond reputeMooble has a reputation beyond reputeMooble has a reputation beyond reputeMooble has a reputation beyond reputeMooble has a reputation beyond reputeMooble has a reputation beyond repute

Unbelievable beauties!

Pioneer 880PRS, Tru SSLD6, Morel Supremo Piccolo, Hertz ML 1600, Morel 12" Ultimo, Tru Copper C7.4, Clarion DPX11551
Mooble is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-19-2010   #5
DIYMA 500 Club

12V Company:
12Vtools
Position:
Owner

Rep Power: 138 12vTools will become famous soon enough12vTools will become famous soon enough12vTools will become famous soon enough12vTools will become famous soon enough12vTools will become famous soon enough12vTools will become famous soon enough

Don never fails to Impress with his product knowledge , attention to detail and great follow through.
You are in very capable hands.

Custom router bits and Tools for 12v Fabrication
www.12vtools.com
Facebook.com/12vTools
Instagram.com/12vtools
Don says I am awesome !
12vTools is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-19-2010   #6
Upgrade Your Membership!

"Authentic to the Music"

12V Company:
Melodic Acoustic
Position:
Founder/CEO

Rep Power: 193 Melodic Acoustic has a spectacular aura aboutMelodic Acoustic has a spectacular aura aboutMelodic Acoustic has a spectacular aura aboutMelodic Acoustic has a spectacular aura aboutMelodic Acoustic has a spectacular aura aboutMelodic Acoustic has a spectacular aura aboutMelodic Acoustic has a spectacular aura aboutMelodic Acoustic has a spectacular aura aboutMelodic Acoustic has a spectacular aura about

Man I'm so Jealous right now of those TRU Billets, man those are just beautiful.

That's going to be an amazing sounding system.

Congrats on some amazing products sir!!!

So what is the Head and Processor to match the above beauties?

Mark Brooks
CEO/Founder
Melodic Acoustic "Authentic to the Music"
Melodic Acoustic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-19-2010   #7
DIYMA 500 Club

Thanks for the compliments. I must admit that I'm pretty excited right now

As for the source I'm dealing with a difficult OEM situaion. Basically there is no physical space in the dash of the car and I'm working with GM's "CAN-BUS" so I will be using a Bit One for the time being. If I need to at a later date, I can add a Wadia/Ipod source for high res playback.

If there were a way to get a good raw signal I'd probably use a professional piece.
Old 01-19-2010   #8

Tends to get irritable

12V Company:
Unexpected Creations/ eXquisite Marketing
Position:
Owner/Installer/Rep/Lead Janitor

Rep Power: 5000 6spdcoupe has a reputation beyond repute6spdcoupe has a reputation beyond repute6spdcoupe has a reputation beyond repute6spdcoupe has a reputation beyond repute6spdcoupe has a reputation beyond repute6spdcoupe has a reputation beyond repute6spdcoupe has a reputation beyond repute6spdcoupe has a reputation beyond repute6spdcoupe has a reputation beyond repute6spdcoupe has a reputation beyond repute6spdcoupe has a reputation beyond repute

Send a message via AIM to 6spdcoupe

Wow, thank you so much my friend. I was excited to see the pics, but your kind words are overwhelming in flattery.

Now, get to work !

Helix DSP PRO
Dual Brax MX4s
Dyn Esotar ~430s~110s
Micro-Precision 7.16 MKIII
Dual Focal 33KX IB
6spdcoupe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-19-2010   #9

Tends to get irritable

12V Company:
Position:

Rep Power: 5000 6spdcoupe has a reputation beyond repute6spdcoupe has a reputation beyond repute6spdcoupe has a reputation beyond repute6spdcoupe has a reputation beyond repute6spdcoupe has a reputation beyond repute6spdcoupe has a reputation beyond repute6spdcoupe has a reputation beyond repute6spdcoupe has a reputation beyond repute6spdcoupe has a reputation beyond repute6spdcoupe has a reputation beyond repute6spdcoupe has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by azngotskills View Post
Damn thats SEXY!!! Don is as well

:::blushing::: Aww Mark.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooble View Post
Unbelievable beauties!
Thanks !

Ohh .. you are referring to the amps huh ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by g0a View Post
Don never fails to Impress with his product knowledge , attention to detail and great follow through.
You are in very capable hands.

Thanks Joey, I sure do try !

Helix DSP PRO
Dual Brax MX4s
Dyn Esotar ~430s~110s
Dual Focal 33KX IB
Old 01-19-2010   #10
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

12V Company:
High Definition Mobile Audio
Position:
Owner

Rep Power: 339 Niebur3 has a reputation beyond reputeNiebur3 has a reputation beyond reputeNiebur3 has a reputation beyond reputeNiebur3 has a reputation beyond reputeNiebur3 has a reputation beyond reputeNiebur3 has a reputation beyond reputeNiebur3 has a reputation beyond reputeNiebur3 has a reputation beyond reputeNiebur3 has a reputation beyond reputeNiebur3 has a reputation beyond reputeNiebur3 has a reputation beyond repute

+1

Don is everything you said and more. His knowledge and helpfulness is second to none....and he is fun to talk to as well!!!

You have an amazing setup there that you will be very happy with. Install properly and you will be in sonic bliss!!!
Niebur3 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-19-2010   #11

Tends to get irritable

12V Company:
Position:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niebur3 View Post
+1

Don is everything you said and more. His knowledge and helpfulness is second to none....and he is fun to talk to as well!!!

You have an amazing setup there that you will be very happy with. Install properly and you will be in sonic bliss!!!
Thanks Jerry, and I owe you a call !

Helix DSP PRO
Dual Brax MX4s
Dyn Esotar ~430s~110s
Dual Focal 33KX IB
Old 01-19-2010   #12
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 173 BodegaBay will become famous soon enoughBodegaBay will become famous soon enoughBodegaBay will become famous soon enoughBodegaBay will become famous soon enoughBodegaBay will become famous soon enoughBodegaBay will become famous soon enough

That is some sexy high class gear. I've been getting my gear fix from The Don since 2003 and he never disappoints.

2008 VW GTI 4-Door DSG
BodegaBay is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-20-2010   #13
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 122 Stage7 will become famous soon enoughStage7 will become famous soon enoughStage7 will become famous soon enoughStage7 will become famous soon enoughStage7 will become famous soon enoughStage7 will become famous soon enough

Congrats on your new toys, please keep us posted with the installs.

Ditto x 100 about Don @ Unexpected Creations. I've recently had the pleasure of doing business with Don. He spent countless hours with me demoing, educating, and patiently babysitting my indecisiveness for a relatively small sale comparatively. He took time away from his family to make sure I left there with a decision I would not second guess, and keep me happy. He earned a new customer that night in every way.

Great guy. He is truly a professional without peer.

...now, we just need to send him some nicotine patches to help him kick the cigarettes. lol
Stage7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-20-2010   #14
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 265 quality_sound is just really nicequality_sound is just really nicequality_sound is just really nicequality_sound is just really nicequality_sound is just really nicequality_sound is just really nicequality_sound is just really nicequality_sound is just really nicequality_sound is just really nicequality_sound is just really nicequality_sound is just really nice

Don is good people.

quality_sound is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-20-2010   #15
DIYMA 500 Club

12V Company:
Car Teks Inc.
Position:
Jack of all trades

Rep Power: 152 Tonyguy will become famous soon enoughTonyguy will become famous soon enoughTonyguy will become famous soon enoughTonyguy will become famous soon enoughTonyguy will become famous soon enoughTonyguy will become famous soon enough

Damn............................that is just soooooo sexy right there.

Refs: pionkej,sdsport92064,biga3723,lsm,rockinridgeline, scura,VPElectricity,negativegain,teenycar,MorfiusX ,pneffkell,JAX,jmhinkle,velozity,roxj01,pwlabrat

Tonyguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-20-2010   #16
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 418 ryan s has a reputation beyond reputeryan s has a reputation beyond reputeryan s has a reputation beyond reputeryan s has a reputation beyond reputeryan s has a reputation beyond reputeryan s has a reputation beyond reputeryan s has a reputation beyond reputeryan s has a reputation beyond reputeryan s has a reputation beyond reputeryan s has a reputation beyond reputeryan s has a reputation beyond repute

Less time with audio stuff, more time watering your houseplants

Did that big amp come in the rifle case?

'11 Accord Coupe with Premium Audio. Decent. System in planning stage...
"Plan for the best, EQ for the rest" - Zaph

ryan s is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-20-2010   #17
DIYMA 500 Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan s View Post
Less time with audio stuff, more time watering your houseplants
Man, that thing is such a lost cause. I have had that thing in 3 houses now and no matter where I put it, how much light, water, etc. it's just hopeless. It now serves two purposes. 1. A constant reminder of the fragility of life. 2. A diffuser for left main speaker in my home rig

Quote:
Did that big amp come in the rifle case?
Yes indeed.
Old 01-20-2010   #18
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 418 ryan s has a reputation beyond reputeryan s has a reputation beyond reputeryan s has a reputation beyond reputeryan s has a reputation beyond reputeryan s has a reputation beyond reputeryan s has a reputation beyond reputeryan s has a reputation beyond reputeryan s has a reputation beyond reputeryan s has a reputation beyond reputeryan s has a reputation beyond reputeryan s has a reputation beyond repute

Oh that's right...I saw the "ficus in each corner" posted in another thread. It's such a good idea...and cool looking...and cheap...etc

I love that foam packing job...way better than the Styrofoam that gets everywhere.

'11 Accord Coupe with Premium Audio. Decent. System in planning stage...
"Plan for the best, EQ for the rest" - Zaph

ryan s is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-20-2010   #19
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 162 lucas569 will become famous soon enoughlucas569 will become famous soon enoughlucas569 will become famous soon enoughlucas569 will become famous soon enoughlucas569 will become famous soon enoughlucas569 will become famous soon enough

TRU amps are sexy! so they throw in a free watch when you buy DYN eh?
lucas569 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-20-2010   #20
DIYMA 500 Club

Quote:
Oh that's right...I saw the "ficus in each corner" posted in another thread. It's such a good idea...and cool looking...and cheap...etc
At the old house I actually had a couple of palms back there. It's arguable if it actually did anything, seeing as how tall the trunks of those pants were. It did look good though. I gave the palms away when I moved because they had grown to almost 17' tall and wouldn't fit in the new place.

The Ficus in the original picture didn't do well in that room either (probably due to the light).

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucas569 View Post
TRU amps are sexy! so they throw in a free watch when you buy DYN eh?
I like the pic with the watch in it because with the construction of those 430s it's hard to tell you're looking at such a small driver.
Old 01-20-2010   #21
DIYMA 500 Club

12V Company:
performance audio of las vegas
Position:
sales

Rep Power: 129 gymrat2005 will become famous soon enoughgymrat2005 will become famous soon enoughgymrat2005 will become famous soon enoughgymrat2005 will become famous soon enoughgymrat2005 will become famous soon enoughgymrat2005 will become famous soon enough

Don's a jerk!

Just kidding.

I got the other B2200 from that sale from the fed-ex gods today.

Thing is a friggin work of art I tell ya. Thanks Don! You the man. I'll bump up your itrader rating later on (like you need lit...lol).

It was cool spending a little time in Vegas with ya. But don't worry, I wont tell...cuz what happens in Vegas, stays in Vegas...lol

Be sure to let me know if you go back out to Jon's in Cali, we'll meet up and shoot the breeze.

Congrats Se7en!
gymrat2005 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-20-2010   #22
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 0 ecktor will become famous soon enoughecktor will become famous soon enoughecktor will become famous soon enoughecktor will become famous soon enoughecktor will become famous soon enoughecktor will become famous soon enough

Nice equipment, Se7en. I really need to make it out to one of the Austin meet-ups... are you planning a build log?

I gotta give kudos to Don as well. He's going out of his way to help me out with a noisy Rainbow amp that I bought used from someone else. When I get a new car in a few months, Don is the guy I'm calling.

E

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiniVanMan View Post
If it seems like I'm attacking you, it's because I am.
ecktor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-20-2010   #23

12V Company:
Do work
Position:
M.E.C.P certified

Rep Power: 0 tinctorus will become famous soon enoughtinctorus will become famous soon enoughtinctorus will become famous soon enoughtinctorus will become famous soon enoughtinctorus will become famous soon enoughtinctorus will become famous soon enough

Send a message via AIM to tinctorus

I would like to know what car this is going into
All you said is dealing with OEM and the can bus system

You know there are plenty of ways around that setup right?

Or do you not think anything aftermarket will look right in the dash??
tinctorus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-20-2010   #24
DIYMA 500 Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by gymrat2005 View Post

I got the other B2200 from that sale from the fed-ex gods today.

Congrats Se7en!
Thanks and congrats to you. They are a thing of beauty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecktor View Post
Nice equipment, Se7en. I really need to make it out to one of the Austin meet-ups... are you planning a build log?

E
Yes, there will be a full build thread but unfortunately against the spirit of DIYMA. I will be seeking professional help on this one and I'm at the tail end of the installer selection process.
When I started this system I had grand visions of doing this myself but quickly realized that I was getting way in over my head. This was a lot of money for me to come up with and I want to make sure that I get the value back out of the gear. In my mind the install is far more important than the equipment. Similarly, too many misteps with the install will cost me more in vehicle depreciation than the equipment itself. To this 2nd point, I've been seriously considering just buying a project car (on the cheap) that I could do the install to and work on over time.

We'll see.
Old 01-20-2010   #25
DIYMA 500 Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinctorus View Post
I would like to know what car this is going into
All you said is dealing with OEM and the can bus system

You know there are plenty of ways around that setup right?

Or do you not think anything aftermarket will look right in the dash??

Sponsored Links
Advertisement