C608GTI MKII Review!!! - Page 2 - Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-22-2010   #26
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 186 rexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond repute

Default Re: C608GTI MKII Review!!!

? Right? GFY
rexroadj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-22-2010   #27
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 93 bassfromspace will become famous soon enoughbassfromspace will become famous soon enoughbassfromspace will become famous soon enoughbassfromspace will become famous soon enoughbassfromspace will become famous soon enoughbassfromspace will become famous soon enoughbassfromspace will become famous soon enoughbassfromspace will become famous soon enoughbassfromspace will become famous soon enoughbassfromspace will become famous soon enoughbassfromspace will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemareen View Post
the industry itself is done so your anger is as worthless as the shit stuck on my boxers.
Gay.
bassfromspace is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-24-2010   #28
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 121 fahrfrompuken will become famous soon enoughfahrfrompuken will become famous soon enoughfahrfrompuken will become famous soon enoughfahrfrompuken will become famous soon enoughfahrfrompuken will become famous soon enoughfahrfrompuken will become famous soon enough

rexroadj,

I was very impressed by the review you wrote on these speakers. I am currently in the market for 2 pair. Actually, I already bought some just based on price and what they sounded like at Custom Sounds in the sound board. I got the Eclipse SC6900 for the front and the SP6900 for fill.

Now I am really thinking of making my system a real SQ system. My current components I have purchased are:

Pioneer AVIC-X910BT head unit
Eclipse SC6900 Component 6x9s (front)
Eclipse SP6900 Point Source 6x9s (rear)
Eclipse SW8000 10" sub
Phoenix Gold X200.4 four channel amp
Phoenix Gold X600.1 monoblock amp
LPL44 remote bass knob

These are going in a 2007 Toyota Camry SE
This car has 6x9s stock and openings at the extreme corners of the dash near the windshield (this is where I will mount my tweets).

I am really rethinking my choices for speakers. I am considering the:
Alpine Type X PROs
Pioneer TS-C720PRS
JBL C608GTI MKII (of course)

I would like speakers that are above all things accurate, handle mucho power, and be of high quality. If they are a little harsh I can tune them or EQ that out. I just really want them to be loud when I want and them to be and sound excellent at all volume levels. I am considering getting 2 pair of whatever I choose and just running the rears very low for fill only.

Please let me know what you think about my setup so far, thanks.
fahrfrompuken is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2010   #29
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 186 rexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond repute

I will get into this in more depth a little later, I have company over. I like your choices and gear already, lots of great options here. I will get into some more detail tonight or tomorrow though. Thanks
Justin
Old 04-24-2010   #30
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Ok, here is my take on the above speakers you have for choices as well as the power you have on tap......
First off, I cannot recommend enough that you use the 4 channel bridged to what ever component set you so choose. The difference in dynamics, volume and midbass production will be night and day without question. If you MUST use the rears (I personally am not as against it as most if done properly) see if you can use the decks amp for them and figure out a way to level a way your happy with via the amps gain/rear volume. Or just pick up a cheap 2channel for the rears. I have owned the prs set, I have not owned the alpines but have heard them several times....I am actually a big fan of those components despite being somewhat of an alpine hater over the years. I find them to be extremely natural and soothing out of the box. They can handle pretty decent amounts of power and can achieve pretty fair volume (no where near the other two sets in either capacity). I was not overly pleased with the prs set....I found the midbass/midrange to be quite nice and the set to be put together overall VERY nice as far as quality. I could not get the tweeter to an acceptable sound for me, however to be absolutely honest I did not give them a whole lot of listening in various locations. I mounted them low (kicks) which I am not usually a fan of in my truck but needed to do all that I could to tame them. I did not get a chance to run them active, and assume that doing so with that set, would have yielded much better results. I know that they can handle a lot of juice but the tweeters run a little to hot and harsh for me, its almost like they have a ceiling as to how much power gets dispersed between the set and as more power gets to the passives to much goes to the tweets. Obviously this can be tuned but I cant stand things that require so much work out of the box. Again the midbass is outstanding as was as the vocal midrange department of that set. They are tanks! Again, if volume, clarity, extreme power handling (getting what you give) and $ in the mix I dont think there is much that is going to compete with the gti's. If someone offered me each set for free I would still take the jbl's. But please keep in mind, this is nothing more then my opinion, I am sure others will give there take (hopefully only the few that have actual experience with the sets and done properly!!!!). For me I would gauge between the alpines and jbl's. I think you will get more volume at any level with the gti's but with less then 200watts you might get better overall sound with the alpines? I dont know..... Also the location of the tweeter being so off axis (if I am understanding correctly) the jbls might be a great fit too. The alpines off axis that much might dissapear. I dont know buddy, I really dont feel comfortable trying to steer you one way because of the way I feel. It just wouldnt be fair since its just an opinion. But I love mine!!!!
Old 04-24-2010   #31
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 116 Nemesys66 will become famous soon enoughNemesys66 will become famous soon enoughNemesys66 will become famous soon enoughNemesys66 will become famous soon enoughNemesys66 will become famous soon enoughNemesys66 will become famous soon enough

Hi Rexroadj...
I just wanted to ask a question.
I am the veeeeery happy owner of a pair of C608Gti MkI and I pretty much agree with all that was said (especially about the plastic covers of the Xovers...damn them!).
Here is my thing:
Used to run a pretty nice setup but badly tuned imho. Focal FP 4.75 to the Gti front doors and Boston RX97 in the hatch deck (I know I know...) of my Golf 4.
Found an old Bose acoustimass 5 (one of the first ever produced I guess) under my bed. Managed to try it in between and got pretty nice results but was definitely needing a tiny amp to run it alone out of my HU.
Went to wander on forums (including and especially THIS forum) and felt i wanted more SQ... result:
I ended buying second hand gear on eBay.
First a Dls A3, then a 50.4 and a 90.2 from Sinfoni and finally went for a 150.2 from the same damn italians that definitely know how to build audio things.
Even though I havent received them yet, I managed to find what I suppose being a never used pair of T595 Limited (aaaaahhhh cant wait!!!). Wont tell the price until I try them to b sure they work... :-p
I have a H650 from Alpine and my idea was this:
HU to h650
Run the 595 with the 150.2, C608 from the 90.2 and tweeters from half the 50.4, Other half (dual mono the 50.4 is) into the Bose just as a sub fill.
But you said the C608 cant be Bi ampeeeeeeeed yoooooooou!!!! :'-(
Can they? can't I just sweep away (or spade away) those huuuge Xovers?
Thanks in advance and sorry for the novel. Kinda new at this...
Nemesys66 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-24-2010   #32
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 127 kvndoom will become famous soon enoughkvndoom will become famous soon enoughkvndoom will become famous soon enoughkvndoom will become famous soon enoughkvndoom will become famous soon enoughkvndoom will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by fahrfrompuken View Post
I am really rethinking my choices for speakers. I am considering the:
Alpine Type X PROs
Pioneer TS-C720PRS
JBL C608GTI MKII (of course)

I would like speakers that are above all things accurate, handle mucho power, and be of high quality. If they are a little harsh I can tune them or EQ that out. I just really want them to be loud when I want and them to be and sound excellent at all volume levels. I am considering getting 2 pair of whatever I choose and just running the rears very low for fill only.

Please let me know what you think about my setup so far, thanks.
The Alpine SPX pro's are very unforgiving in less-than-perfect doors. I have mine hi-passed around 90Hz, any lower and they fart when I crank it up. If the JBL's have more punch and are more forgiving, go for them no doubt. The overall sound is wonderful, don't get me wrong, but they require some work if you want to go deep with them. Love those SPX tweeters though. Out of this world...

Who gives a fuck, I can't hear above 15kHz anyway...
2007 Altima 3.5SE- Kenwood DDX-771, NVX V-series, Phoenix Gold RSDC12
kvndoom will become famous soon enough
kvndoom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-24-2010   #33
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemesys66 View Post
Hi Rexroadj...
I just wanted to ask a question.
I am the veeeeery happy owner of a pair of C608Gti MkI and I pretty much agree with all that was said (especially about the plastic covers of the Xovers...damn them!).
Here is my thing:
Used to run a pretty nice setup but badly tuned imho. Focal FP 4.75 to the Gti front doors and Boston RX97 in the hatch deck (I know I know...) of my Golf 4.
Found an old Bose acoustimass 5 (one of the first ever produced I guess) under my bed. Managed to try it in between and got pretty nice results but was definitely needing a tiny amp to run it alone out of my HU.
Went to wander on forums (including and especially THIS forum) and felt i wanted more SQ... result:
I ended buying second hand gear on eBay.
First a Dls A3, then a 50.4 and a 90.2 from Sinfoni and finally went for a 150.2 from the same damn italians that definitely know how to build audio things.
Even though I havent received them yet, I managed to find what I suppose being a never used pair of T595 Limited (aaaaahhhh cant wait!!!). Wont tell the price until I try them to b sure they work... :-p
I have a H650 from Alpine and my idea was this:
HU to h650
Run the 595 with the 150.2, C608 from the 90.2 and tweeters from half the 50.4, Other half (dual mono the 50.4 is) into the Bose just as a sub fill.
But you said the C608 cant be Bi ampeeeeeeeed yoooooooou!!!! :'-(
Can they? can't I just sweep away (or spade away) those huuuge Xovers?
Thanks in advance and sorry for the novel. Kinda new at this...
Ok first off......AWESOME AMPS! I had the 650 and actually really liked it, I thought the auto eq was pretty adequate at minimum gives a great starting point! I am pretty sure you can run the sub, rears (awesome set by the way, classics!) and the 608 active from the processor. Problem solved! And it should sound great! I will have to look into the processor again since its been a while since I used it (gave it to my brother in law, maybe I will take a peak at it again and play with it to confirm?) Hope this helps, if I missed something just ask me again. I am exauhsted and a little slow to begin with
Old 04-24-2010   #34
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by kvndoom View Post
The Alpine SPX pro's are very unforgiving in less-than-perfect doors. I have mine hi-passed around 90Hz, any lower and they fart when I crank it up. If the JBL's have more punch and are more forgiving, go for them no doubt. The overall sound is wonderful, don't get me wrong, but they require some work if you want to go deep with them. Love those SPX tweeters though. Out of this world...
Yes......those tweeters were VERY well done without question. The midbass will not go anywhere near the jbl's as you said, but sound great none the less. I was very impressed with that set every time I heard them.
Thanks for chiming in, I hate to be just giving my opinion on this stuff, its just that.....my opinion.
Old 04-24-2010   #35
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 121 fahrfrompuken will become famous soon enoughfahrfrompuken will become famous soon enoughfahrfrompuken will become famous soon enoughfahrfrompuken will become famous soon enoughfahrfrompuken will become famous soon enoughfahrfrompuken will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by rexroadj View Post
I think you will get more volume at any level with the gti's but with less then 200watts you might get better overall sound with the alpines?
As far as power, the Phoenix Gold Xenon amps are underrated. I had the x100.4 before and the actual birthing card that came with it showed it actually measured 462 watts RMS. If I had to guess the x200.4 should be about 923 watts. At least that is what the birthing card that came with one another guy owned said. If I run this amp bridged I should get a true 450 watts plus to each side which is similar to what you are running. The only question at this point is how clean is the power. I think that the Phoenix Gold Xenons are similiar to the Soundstream as far as cleanliness of the signal, though I am not sure of the fidelity. These amps I purchased are new old stock, not some new amps they just made. I feel really fortunate to find these still new in the box.

It is not too late though, I could still sell these on eBay or Craigslist and get the Soundstream 920 like you have and maybe get a 1000W Soundstream Reference to push my sub. How do they do on subs?

Anyway, I think my system could rival yours in power if not in cleanliness of the signal. I am also not too happy with the Bluetooth on my Pioneer and I may switch it out for a Kenwood that has the Parrot Bluetooth.

2013 MECA Street World Champion
2013 IASCA Rookie Runner-Up
Link to my 2013 VW Jetta Sportwagen TDi build log
fahrfrompuken is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-24-2010   #36
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

No, I think your amp is more then adequate in all cases mentioned. Those are absolutely fantastic amps and the power is great. As much as I love the ss refs. I dont see the point of selling what you have for them, what you have is great. I can safely say that your volume worries will disapear in a hearbeat with that power and that comp set. It seems like you have done your research as best as one can until things are actually in the car. Thats the bulk of the work right there! Just keep us all posted what you end up doing and what your thoughts are on it. Best of luck to you, hope it works out well!
Old 04-26-2010   #37
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 116 Nemesys66 will become famous soon enoughNemesys66 will become famous soon enoughNemesys66 will become famous soon enoughNemesys66 will become famous soon enoughNemesys66 will become famous soon enoughNemesys66 will become famous soon enough

Thumbs up Re: C608GTI MKII Review!!!

Quote:
Ok first off......AWESOME AMPS! I had the 650 and actually really liked it, I thought the auto eq was pretty adequate at minimum gives a great starting point! I am pretty sure you can run the sub, rears (awesome set by the way, classics!) and the 608 active from the processor. Problem solved! And it should sound great! I will have to look into the processor again since its been a while since I used it (gave it to my brother in law, maybe I will take a peak at it again and play with it to confirm?) Hope this helps, if I missed something just ask me again. I am exauhsted and a little slow to begin with
Hi Rex,
First, thank you for your quick reply... since you said you were having company, I hope you hadn't have to sneak out to reply... :-p
I had a call from my volks today who received the 595 in France (as I live like 10000 miles from them...) and they seem legit! Had my dad put them on a scale to weight them and play with the cone by the phone...still laughing imagining how he must think how wacked his son is!
They were most likely sleeping in a storage somewhere as they are like new with manual and box. Had a doubt because I found bunch of "brand new" one where i live but they weight like 1 kilo each and are soooooooooo chinese made. So I guess I found myself an Antics/legend with still a couple of good sounding hours in them...
As for the setup, your review made my day lighter. I was running the c608 in coax configuration but was planning to mount the tweeters in the dash side windows vents, facing upright. If off-axis is the deal, they should be very happy there. The H650 cant deal with non-coax comps on a single channel so I had to go Bi-amp, which wasnt such a heartache... (you gotta love all those Sympho's stacked together... he he he.
My only doubt is about the rear fill/hatch deck... Not very SQ but I will figure a setup that works with the 595. I will surely remove the tweeters and use only the woofers.
Havent decided yet between the 150.2 or the DLS A3 but I guess space will come into discussion as I want some kind of Hybrid Show/stealth install (try to shove 3 dudes + golf bags or suit cases in a golf 4 with all this gear is the idea).
Anyway, will gladly post pics of the making and final result when am done and especially my impressions about the way it sound (am already preparing the playlist to test it all...yummmmy!!!)
Thanks for the patience and support
Merciiii!!!!
I am pretty excited about the whole thing
Old 04-26-2010   #38
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

No need for a thanks.....I just hope it works out well for you.... Keep us posted!
Old 05-10-2010   #39
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 0 SafariLS1 will become famous soon enoughSafariLS1 will become famous soon enoughSafariLS1 will become famous soon enoughSafariLS1 will become famous soon enoughSafariLS1 will become famous soon enoughSafariLS1 will become famous soon enough

rexroadj thanks for the review! im looking into getting a set. i was wondering if you knew the ohm ratings of each driver because i am going to be running them active. Thanks in advance!
SafariLS1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-11-2010   #40
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

I will double check but I am pretty sure they are all 4ohm but I will look into it to confirm
Old 05-11-2010   #41
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

I looked and am almost certain they are 4ohms. I am not sure what it matters if your running active. I know there not 2ohms so it should be an issue for your amps?
Old 05-12-2010   #42
DIYMA 500 Club

Quote:
I will double check but I am pretty sure they are all 4ohm but I will look into it to confirm
Indeed 4 Ohms...
Old 05-12-2010   #43
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemesys66 View Post
Indeed 4 Ohms...
Thank you for confirming!
Old 05-15-2010   #44
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 136 kizz will become famous soon enoughkizz will become famous soon enoughkizz will become famous soon enoughkizz will become famous soon enoughkizz will become famous soon enoughkizz will become famous soon enough

what is the difference between the first gti's and the mkII? set? I cant find any info anywhere between the two and the differences.

Alpine HU, Alpine H800
Sinfoni Solo AD-LIB powering Sinfoni Eroico M series
Arc Audio XDI 1100.1 powering IDMAX 12

Car...sounds...awesome!!!
kizz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-15-2010   #45
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Not sure?
Old 05-18-2010   #46
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 136 kizz will become famous soon enoughkizz will become famous soon enoughkizz will become famous soon enoughkizz will become famous soon enoughkizz will become famous soon enoughkizz will become famous soon enough

still enjoying the gti's? have you tried these with less power at all? what are your opinions on say 100watts per side or 100watts to mid and 60 to tweet active?

Alpine HU, Alpine H800

Old 05-18-2010   #47
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

I think it would still be extremely loud. I first had them running via the passives on about 145ish and they were still fantastic. You will get more from them active at that power then I did passive. I will respond to your pm now as well.
Old 05-20-2010   #48
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 163 redcalimp5 is a glorious beacon of lightredcalimp5 is a glorious beacon of lightredcalimp5 is a glorious beacon of lightredcalimp5 is a glorious beacon of lightredcalimp5 is a glorious beacon of lightredcalimp5 is a glorious beacon of lightredcalimp5 is a glorious beacon of lightredcalimp5 is a glorious beacon of lightredcalimp5 is a glorious beacon of lightredcalimp5 is a glorious beacon of lightredcalimp5 is a glorious beacon of light

Hey rex, how much power you giving to these mids running active? What crossover points seem to work best with them with rock/metal?

Alpine~Rainbow~TRU
redcalimp5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-20-2010   #49
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Sorry man, I have not run them active. No means right now to do so, really dont have a need either. But I am running 400+ per side with the passives...... They laugh at me
Old 05-20-2010   #50
DIYMA 500 Club

Is it a ha ha laugh or more like a tee hee laugh? Lol

Alpine HU, Alpine H800

Sponsored Links
Advertisement