C608GTI MKII Review!!! - Page 3 - Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-20-2010   #51
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 183 rexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond repute

Default Re: C608GTI MKII Review!!!

definitely the family guy midget in the well Tee Hee laugh!!!!
rexroadj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-20-2010   #52
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 133 kizz will become famous soon enoughkizz will become famous soon enoughkizz will become famous soon enoughkizz will become famous soon enoughkizz will become famous soon enoughkizz will become famous soon enough

Lmao thats funny

Alpine HU, Alpine H800
Sinfoni Solo AD-LIB powering Sinfoni Eroico M series
Arc Audio XDI 1100.1 powering IDMAX 12

Car...sounds...awesome!!!
kizz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-20-2010   #53
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 119 electroman187 will become famous soon enoughelectroman187 will become famous soon enoughelectroman187 will become famous soon enoughelectroman187 will become famous soon enoughelectroman187 will become famous soon enoughelectroman187 will become famous soon enough

If I keep seeing this thread, I'm going to have to make the 20 minute drive from Manchester to hear these buggers!
electroman187 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2010   #54
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 183 rexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond repute

A local!!!!! awesome! I used to live in manchester a couple years ago. I can tell you it aint pretty, and it aint perfect (like my grammar) but for a simple drop in set with little to no eq I think they are pretty damn impressive!
Old 06-03-2010   #55

Rep Power: 0 red03vette will become famous soon enoughred03vette will become famous soon enoughred03vette will become famous soon enoughred03vette will become famous soon enoughred03vette will become famous soon enoughred03vette will become famous soon enough

Rexroadj, what kind of tweeter mounting options do they give ya? can they be mounted coaxial?

thanks duce
red03vette is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-03-2010   #56
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Just flush and surface mounts but they are very flexible and can be positioned in unlimited angles. No coax unfortunately, they look like they could but they dont.
Old 06-03-2010   #57

Rep Power: 0 red03vette will become famous soon enoughred03vette will become famous soon enoughred03vette will become famous soon enoughred03vette will become famous soon enoughred03vette will become famous soon enoughred03vette will become famous soon enough

judging by your review you have heard (and owned) alot of nice sets that you compared these to. have you heard the hertz mlk165's? and if so how do they compare to the JBL's? currently i own and run a set of kicker ss56.2's and i am not super thrilled with them. the JBL's look like they might fit the bill for me provided i can get them at a cost i can afford.

thanks duce
Old 06-04-2010   #58
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Yeah I have certainly run the mill when it comes to amps, subs and speakers over the years......I suppose I have gone through a good many decks as well.....its been fun and a great learning experience to play with all that stuff. I really enjoyed it, I am not as into the testing as I used to be. I have to admit.....I really actually liked the ss component sets as well as the new rs and qs sets. I found the ss to be great for acoustic material as well as detailed vocalists. They were a tad querky in the tuning department but all in all I enjoyed them. Of the three you mention..... the jbl, kicker, and the hertz, I would say you have three different animals there. Hertz without question is fantastic stuff. The MLK's are awesome. Very neutral and detailed and I suppose revealing is a good term to use with them. I would say that with higher power you would get less return from them vs. the jbl or kicker. I also found the tweeter to break up a little easy. Keep in mind I power the hell out of my stuff so it might be just due to the severe punishment they were taking from me. That might be one of the reasons why I love the JBL's. 400+ a side all day long and the pretty much laugh at me. the kicker would not be able to do the same as well but can get insanely loud and run with a hearty 200+ (pretty sure they run at 3ohms anyway) If your a heavy midbass guy then none of them will be able to hold the jock of the Jbl's. Top end and midrange is also tough....I love the top end and midrange of the jbls and the hertz but again depending on power/volume the hertz just wont keep up. If your looking mainly at 100watts or so up to 200 then the hertz might be the way to go, also assuming your sub can take over pretty high (say 100-150ish) I dont know, I hate getting caught up in these types of comparisons since there are so many awesome sets out there depending on price and use. Sorry I am not of to much help here. Best suggestion is to read as much as possible and get out and hopefully demo them all.
keep me posted as to what you choose and how you like them!
Old 06-04-2010   #59
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 133 kizz will become famous soon enoughkizz will become famous soon enoughkizz will become famous soon enoughkizz will become famous soon enoughkizz will become famous soon enoughkizz will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by rexroadj View Post
If your looking mainly at 100watts or so up to 200 then the hertz might be the way to go, also assuming your sub can take over pretty high (say 100-150ish)

Im a little confused, are you saying that with the hertz you need to cross them high? like 100-150hz hp?

Alpine HU, Alpine H800

Old 06-05-2010   #60
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

I suppose I should be more specific......In my LARGE doors IB the hertz would not handle below 100hz well at all! However that was with large gobs of power...... In smaller ib doors with 100 watts you might be ok with lower xover points..... Again I "challenge" the hell out of my components
Old 06-05-2010   #61
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 0 synth808 will become famous soon enoughsynth808 will become famous soon enoughsynth808 will become famous soon enoughsynth808 will become famous soon enoughsynth808 will become famous soon enoughsynth808 will become famous soon enough

I will also add, as I used to own a set of these before the mids froze (literally the driver side cone would freeze and then thaw in the right conditions) in the winter, the tweeters are exactly as described. I was very nervous about them being bright as I am very sensitive to anything of the sort, but these blew me away. The other thing I noticed was a lack of listening fatigue. These are the only speakers I could play for 2+ hours at varying volumes and not get fatigued listening to.
synth808 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-05-2010   #62
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Thank you for the addition! I am glad I was not the only person that was shocked with the lack of listening fatigue or brightness of the tweeters. That is very odd about the mid freezing? I figured if it doesnt freeze around here then it wouldnt freeze anywhere (except maybe minesota)
Old 06-06-2010   #63

thanks Rexroadj, i will let you know what happens.

duce
Old 06-06-2010   #64
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 0 synth808 will become famous soon enoughsynth808 will become famous soon enoughsynth808 will become famous soon enoughsynth808 will become famous soon enoughsynth808 will become famous soon enoughsynth808 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by rexroadj View Post
Thank you for the addition! I am glad I was not the only person that was shocked with the lack of listening fatigue or brightness of the tweeters. That is very odd about the mid freezing? I figured if it doesnt freeze around here then it wouldnt freeze anywhere (except maybe minesota)

to make a long story short, my crusty 96 accord has an issue where moisture has a tendency to get into the door cavity on the driver's side due to a missing wheel well liner that I'm too lazy to fix. Well, when it would snow heavy wet snow or rain and then freeeze, the mid would literally freeze until it warmed up. Did this for a couple of winters before I got the bug to change them.
synth808 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-07-2010   #65
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Ok, at some point in time hopefully this week I am going to be trying out my imprint I have laying around active on this set. I only have 100x4 available, it will be interesting to see what it does on 100 per mid. And if its any better active. I am not sure how it will work but I will also try the imprint with the 400 per side passive
Old 06-07-2010   #66
DIYMA 500 Club

definately let us know about that rex. Im still interested in these comps just because i like jbl stuff. even thought im happy with what i have now, i will be trying these in the future, just to feed my curiosity.

Alpine HU, Alpine H800

Old 06-08-2010   #67
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 119 namboy27 will become famous soon enoughnamboy27 will become famous soon enoughnamboy27 will become famous soon enoughnamboy27 will become famous soon enoughnamboy27 will become famous soon enoughnamboy27 will become famous soon enough

thanks for the review bro!! i currently have some image dynamics xs 65's. they are my first set of components so i was pretty impressed=)

but after reading your review i really wanna get some more midbass like how you describe.

have you heard the xs65's and what are your thoughts about them compared to the jbl's.

and your so humble when you give out your opinion. i love opinions!! thats what makes this "hobbie" entertaining lol
namboy27 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-08-2010   #68
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

kizz... from what you have told me the prs set is coming along nicely. Remember what I said..................... if it aint broke, either dont fix it or break it!

Namboy
Thanks for the kind words and for suffering through my 3 pages of bs. Just remember opinions are just like aholes, we all got em and they all smell like poo!
I love the xs set! I dont think they get as low (with authority) as the JBL but they are easily as snappy/accurate (maybe even a tad more) Do the most you can with what you have before spending extra $$$$
Old 06-08-2010   #69
DIYMA 500 Club

lol, I don't want to break these.

Alpine HU, Alpine H800

Old 06-09-2010   #70
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Ok, sorry if the post have been lack luster and short lately. I recently threw up (no idea why?) all over my laptop and had to replace the keyboard. It just came today and its in. I had been typing about half of the letters (plastic tabs off) with a pen really hard to get a letter to show up!
So I have the imprint in and running the setup via the passives still. I had a slight cluster fuck during the process and a little leading up to it. I was having an issue with the right side going in and out of signal due to a bad rca cable. It sucks because the are the super $$$ monster pro xln that are as thick as 4-2 gauge wire. I just switched the sub wires with the fronts on the imprint and deck and all should have been fine.......However since those xln pro's lock onto terminals like nobodys business it broke the left left front terminal on the back of the deck so I had to use the rear rca outputs..... Shouldnt be a problem unless I play a dvd or something (I imagine that would cause a problem) and I actually listen to dvd concerts alot!

My first impressions were as follows......

I started with the soundtrack from CrazyHeart (great movie if you havent seen it) I am a BIG country fan and love some of the remastering of some of the old classics as well as the production of the new stuff. Its a real quality recording..... Some of the songs from Jeff Bridges are dark rustic sounds with extremely heavy but should be controlled midbass/sub bass. It was fantastic!!! The seperation was superb, details were spot on (and there is lots of them) and most amazing was the imaging...... Dont get me wrong, the imprint isnt perfect by any stretch.... It does some funky things with the sub, and it did make things a little brighter then I prefer, not over bright or anything, I just like things a little more laid back then most. Now I should also mention that I only took 4 mic measurements from the driver headrest (not all in the exact same place) and I did not touch a thing when it was done. Hooking up the laptop or even just fiddling with the remote will go a long ways. For the price they can be had for and for what they can do with a simple 2.1 setup it is awesome if you follow the directions accordingly. I would also recommend turning off the sub when taking measurements or just using the deck direct and forget about running the sub from the imprint. A lot of people think that its bad because it makes the sub have less output, thats not the problem for me. It just seems........ not what I like I guess.

I am sure the imprint would yield even greater results running the two way set active. I know I used it for a while before, active on a set of mb quart qsd's and it was pretty great. I also used it with a three way setup active between the amps and processor and it was a little funky....I think the setup was a little to tricky for the processor.

If I get time I will try it out active. I would say with the ms-8 and bitone being the leaders for processors right now I would guess the imprint will be pretty cheap. I would say for the money it would be a great pic up if you dont like to tune, have the capabilities or just flat out dont have time.

I have a bunch more listening impressions but I am sick of typing and pretty sure no one cares that much to read 50 pages of .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. ...........................
Old 06-13-2010   #71
DIYMA 500 Club

I'll read it all

Alpine HU, Alpine H800

Old 06-25-2010   #72

Rep Power: 0 jimbno1 will become famous soon enoughjimbno1 will become famous soon enoughjimbno1 will become famous soon enoughjimbno1 will become famous soon enoughjimbno1 will become famous soon enoughjimbno1 will become famous soon enough

I read you did not like the PRS set and particularly the tweeters, which is pretty much in line with all the other reviews I have read.

But can you give a comparison of just the mids? I take it that the JBL plays lower but what about the midrange, vocals, etc? I have read many other reviews that say the JBL mids pound but the midrange is lacking. I take it you prefer the JBL, even in the midrange? Say from 300 Hz to 3 KHz?

I have pretty much narrowed it down to PRS and JBL, but I plan to run active with different tweeter no matter which one I choose. So I am ONLY interested in the mids.
jimbno1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-25-2010   #73
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Well as it says in the initial review.....I thought the midrange was impecable. I was astounded to hear it especially considering the reviews I had read about the lack there of. I think most of the reviews are from people that didnt really use them, I think maybe they just saw them in a store or read the description from JBL, etc...... I am still completely satisfied with them. I have run them with all types of power both insanely high and pretty low (low in my book, high in anyones I have to say....I think you would be doing yourself a dis-service by not at least trying out the tweeters...(on either set for that matter) You already paid for them. The tweeters on the jbl set might have supprised me the most. I bought them thinking the same thing you are. No tweets and run active........Hooked em up for the hell of it and never looked back. Obviously everyone is different and a lot depends on power and placement. Tweets should go as far off axis as possible!!! Let us all know what you end up doing and how you like it!
Old 06-26-2010   #74

Rep Power: 0 jimbno1 will become famous soon enoughjimbno1 will become famous soon enoughjimbno1 will become famous soon enoughjimbno1 will become famous soon enoughjimbno1 will become famous soon enoughjimbno1 will become famous soon enough

I plan to try the stock locations which for the tweters are in the sail panels. I don't think there will be sufficient room for the JBLs but I will see. Still contemplating the choice between the JBLs and the PRS.
jimbno1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-27-2010   #75
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

The Jbl's are pretty beefy for sure....However the prs arent exacly slim by any stretch! I have my tweets in the a-pillars and mids in the doors. I think great results can be had with both sets. I suppose it comes down to power on tap, space available, and budget (although they are pretty similar on price) I honestly did not take the time to really fudge with the prs set. I played for about a half hour on tweeter locations before mounting but I should have tried a few other options. I also should have tried them out active to see what they were capable of in the setup I put them in. The passives play a big part in the installation. Some sets will tell you how they were designed or have adjustments to account for on or off axis. A well designed passive xover along with proper installation can and will yeild awesome results.
What ever you choose be sure to come back and let us know what you got and how you like it. This isnt a jbl608 fan site, its just a review and there are TONS of people going through the same decisions you are now so if they can read both sides from people who used both it will be a great help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement