NEW PPI PC3.65C Review! - Page 2 - Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-12-2010   #26
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 183 rexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond repute

Default Re: NEW PPI PC3.65C Review!

I honestly have not had the time to take them out (or bypass them to see how it is just as a two way) I love my setup as is right now but if I can down size and take them out then that would be even better (keepin' it simple). To answer your question......WHY 4??????? one or maybe if needed two but there would be no real need/benefit for 4 that I can think of as a center.
They are amazing midrange drivers though, thats for damn sure!
rexroadj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-12-2010   #27
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 117 NSTar will become famous soon enoughNSTar will become famous soon enoughNSTar will become famous soon enoughNSTar will become famous soon enoughNSTar will become famous soon enoughNSTar will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by rexroadj View Post
I honestly have not had the time to take them out (or bypass them to see how it is just as a two way) I love my setup as is right now but if I can down size and take them out then that would be even better (keepin' it simple). To answer your question......WHY 4??????? one or maybe if needed two but there would be no real need/benefit for 4 that I can think of as a center.
They are amazing midrange drivers though, thats for damn sure!
4 because I have room for them But I don't have room for something larger than 3"

It would be in a row. I might just do two with a tweet in the middle.... Or I might do a different location with a larger mid and tweet on the armrest.

I have to agree, a pretty nice 2.5"

edit: after listening for a while..it needs a larger mids to compliment it. Since I'm using the ms8, a 3way center or better is required. This would work great on other applications.

Last edited by NSTar; 10-13-2010 at 12:58 AM..
NSTar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-16-2010   #28

12V Company:
Audio Vision
Position:
Manager

Rep Power: 0 cirodias will become famous soon enoughcirodias will become famous soon enoughcirodias will become famous soon enoughcirodias will become famous soon enoughcirodias will become famous soon enoughcirodias will become famous soon enough

good review!

congratz
cirodias is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2010   #29
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 183 rexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond repute

OK, The midrange are out! I have the truck re tuned and active off my HRU.4 They will be up for sale! I hate to sell them because they are some of the easiest to install and best sounding midrange I have ever used. I know they might be a bitch to get again if I choose too But I dont have a use for them anymore. I am good with the two way active. I am going to add a center and rears so I think I can fiddle enough to make up for anything. The xovers are available as well. I am going to offer everything up to the person who bought the midbass and tweets, if he declines I will put up a price for them.
Old 10-28-2010   #30
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 165 nismos14 will become famous soon enoughnismos14 will become famous soon enoughnismos14 will become famous soon enoughnismos14 will become famous soon enoughnismos14 will become famous soon enoughnismos14 will become famous soon enough

Send a message via AIM to nismos14

pm me the price on the midranges if he declines, please.

'05 SE-R
CAAA Member #1
My Car, My Ears.
nismos14 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-29-2010   #31
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

ok, they are sold pending payment. If it falls through I will let everyone know.
Thanks
I do have a BNIB JBL P1024 sub for sale if anyone is interested in that! I will post to the classifieds soon. $120 shipped Straight from JBL!
Old 12-21-2010   #32
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 107 blackedoutavy will become famous soon enoughblackedoutavy will become famous soon enoughblackedoutavy will become famous soon enoughblackedoutavy will become famous soon enoughblackedoutavy will become famous soon enoughblackedoutavy will become famous soon enough

I plan on running this component set with the SQ 8s on a ref 4.920 and the 2 way set on a ref 2.370 in the rear. What do you think it will sound like? I already have 4 DB drive platinum wd 12s on a Stetsom 7k2d, do you think they can keep up?

TEAM S.P.E.A.D.
TEAM XS Power
blackedoutavy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-22-2010   #33
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Hmmm, it was a great sq setup that would sound great until you mentioned the 4 12s with gobs of power. I dont mean that it will sound bad, just two different things going on at the same time. SPL and SQ. The ss ref amps are awesome and will run the shit out of anything and do so with extreme clarity. The ppi 8s are fantastic sounding subs, but make no mistake, these are subs not midbass drivers. They can play super low (maybe lower then any 8 I have used) so I am not sure where they fit into the equation with the 3way set (6.5 midbass) and then 12" subs. Unless your running the 4 12s from like 50-60 down and are adding the 8s up front for more impact? To answer your question directly.....NO those comps will NEVER keep up with 4 12's or any spl type setup. They are not crazy loud performers, they do however sound GREAT at moderate levels. If you are keeping the 4 12's on a switch or something and the 3ways, rears and 8s as everyday or normal listening then I would say it would be a perfect combo and you should have some pretty incredible listening results!
Old 12-22-2010   #34
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 107 blackedoutavy will become famous soon enoughblackedoutavy will become famous soon enoughblackedoutavy will become famous soon enoughblackedoutavy will become famous soon enoughblackedoutavy will become famous soon enoughblackedoutavy will become famous soon enough

Ok, I plan on doing sort of a hybrid setup. There is not way I can ride around listen to my 12s full tilt all day, Mid 150's is kind of loud to do that. I do have a pac lc-1 that i can turn my subs all the way off with. So should i try and build an enclosure in my doors or modify my factory console to fit an enclosure.

I have a 2004 Chevy Avalanche.

TEAM S.P.E.A.D.
TEAM XS Power
Old 12-22-2010   #35
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

That makes a lot more sense! As I said, running the components and 8sq's off those amps should sound awesome! If you have a processor with different memory settings you could try to xover the 3ways hight (100-120) with the 8s taking over at the same point down to say 50 or so and then let the 12s take over (turned down a lot of course) and see what kind of impact you might get with that? Keep me posted to your install and results!
Old 12-22-2010   #36
DIYMA 500 Club

Cool man, i will keep you posted, I'll probably start after the holidays sometime. You think sealed or ported with the 8s?

TEAM S.P.E.A.D.
TEAM XS Power
Old 12-22-2010   #37
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

I would port them. They are not big boomers. I would port on the higher side. I ran a pair ported to about 28 and it was WAY to low for those. I would shoot for 35ish at least. Sealed is not going to give much by way of volume if you plan on running these as subs without the 12s going. If your running the twelves at the same time then sealed in the console might do ok? I would shoot for ported though. They do sound nice thats for sure.
Old 02-18-2011   #38
DIYMA 500 Club

12V Company:
www.amateuraudioinc.com
Position:
Company Owner

Rep Power: 140 jmacdadd will become famous soon enoughjmacdadd will become famous soon enoughjmacdadd will become famous soon enoughjmacdadd will become famous soon enoughjmacdadd will become famous soon enoughjmacdadd will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by nismos14 View Post
What other three way systems have you heard?
I had a Swiss Audio 3-way component set with passive crossover that sounded amazing (to me).

5.25" Midbass
4" Midrange
.5" Tweeter

I put the midbass in the doors, the midrange in the kick panels and tweeters in the pillars. Ran the set from an Art Series A300.

I bought the set of eBay NIB for $80 shipped.

This PPI set-up is crazy since the mid is so small and can mount virtually anywhere, but I cannot get over the bullet appearance of the midbass...never been a fan of that style speaker...I like a traditional cone on my speakers.

To each his (or her) own!

Those Mosfet Class AB aluminum cloaked knights who have proven their strength and endurance for so long shall not rest until their time has come and they choose to retire in glory.
jmacdadd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-18-2011   #39
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 184 trojan fan has a brilliant futuretrojan fan has a brilliant futuretrojan fan has a brilliant futuretrojan fan has a brilliant futuretrojan fan has a brilliant futuretrojan fan has a brilliant futuretrojan fan has a brilliant futuretrojan fan has a brilliant futuretrojan fan has a brilliant futuretrojan fan has a brilliant futuretrojan fan has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmacdadd View Post
I had a Swiss Audio 3-way component set with passive crossover that sounded amazing (to me).

5.25" Midbass
4" Midrange
.5" Tweeter

I put the midbass in the doors, the midrange in the kick panels and tweeters in the pillars. Ran the set from an Art Series A300.

I bought the set of eBay NIB for $80 shipped.

This PPI set-up is crazy since the mid is so small and can mount virtually anywhere, but I cannot get over the bullet appearance of the midbass...never been a fan of that style speaker...I like a traditional cone on my speakers.

To each his (or her) own!

Swiss Audio?.....really!!!
trojan fan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-03-2011   #40
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 0 Audio_Adrenaline will become famous soon enoughAudio_Adrenaline will become famous soon enoughAudio_Adrenaline will become famous soon enoughAudio_Adrenaline will become famous soon enoughAudio_Adrenaline will become famous soon enoughAudio_Adrenaline will become famous soon enough

Talking Re: NEW PPI PC3.65C Review!

...The Crossovers look Knarly . What Country are these things assembled in? I don't know much yet but, I learn something new every week...
Audio_Adrenaline is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-03-2011   #41
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

The xovers are really great and compliment the set extremely well (not a fan of the set screw setup on them but its pretty common). I honestly didnt really pay attention to where it was made. That would be a great ? for Grizz. I noticed lately that this review is on the home page for the forum.....I still love seeing the pics of these....They are so F'ing sexy! I love copper I hate how I started out the review though.... It starts out very negative and that is just not the experience I had with them. I wish I had taken the time to do a better install for that particular set instead of a drop and play scenario (I didnt practice what I preach at all I think putting those midbass in a sealed enclosure would have yielded much better results and greater power handling (I am a power freak, for better or worse) The set was extremely detailed and provided a spectacular sound! For the money you absolutely cannot get a better 3way set (I would put it into the catagory of twice its retail actually). I would love to try out the SS version of this set. The tweets are completely different (although I thought these were actually quite nice) and the midbass seems a tad beefier too? The midrange is exactly the same, which is a GREAT thing. If they offered stock options on just the midrange alone I would buy into it! So tiny and so amazing. The last few years (in my opinion) SS and now PPI has really started to hit some home runs. This 3way set, the art 8s, the ss ref amps, etc..... are awesome, affordable, and most important sound incredible. Despite me being a power junky I love that they have offered lines that just dont need much power. You can easily run these three ways and two 8s or one 12 off a soundstream ref 4.920 and it would be a match made in heaven! I love that! I think its what the vast majority of the market is looking for anyway so I think they are going to do really well with it. I would recommend the 3ways and the art subs (I think they are called powerclass in the 2011 lineup) in a heartbeat to anyone that is willing to do a very good install. You get out what you put in, in this case especially!
Old 03-09-2011   #42
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 105 Vitty will become famous soon enoughVitty will become famous soon enoughVitty will become famous soon enoughVitty will become famous soon enoughVitty will become famous soon enoughVitty will become famous soon enough

I am debating this set or the SS RF3.6c which is what I think you were referring to in the above post. They will be going in my 07 escalade. Tweeter location in the A pillar, midrange in the center of the dash, and the 6.5 in the door. Would love to hear your opinion on how that type of setup would sound. Amp is as of yet undecided but would be determined by the set of components I go with.
Vitty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-09-2011   #43
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

I am a little confused as to what exactly your talking about for a setup? Would you just run the set as a two way setup but take one of the midranges for a center channel? Or are you talking about putting the midranges on the dash (both, one on left one on right) but essentially centered between the tweeter and midrange? Either is fine....as long as your not talking about running one comp set as a three way and putting the one midrange on the dash and running the other side as just a two way....that would be VERY BAD! If you have a diagram as to what exactly your refering to that would help. I would really like to try out the new SS set.
Old 03-09-2011   #44
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 105 Vitty will become famous soon enoughVitty will become famous soon enoughVitty will become famous soon enoughVitty will become famous soon enoughVitty will become famous soon enoughVitty will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by rexroadj View Post
I am a little confused as to what exactly your talking about for a setup? Would you just run the set as a two way setup but take one of the midranges for a center channel? Or are you talking about putting the midranges on the dash (both, one on left one on right) but essentially centered between the tweeter and midrange? Either is fine....as long as your not talking about running one comp set as a three way and putting the one midrange on the dash and running the other side as just a two way....that would be VERY BAD! If you have a diagram as to what exactly your refering to that would help. I would really like to try out the new SS set.
Essentially I only have room for 1 midrange speaker and it has to go dead center of the dash. My thought was to buy the PPI pc3.65c and run it as a 2 way and then use the midrange for a center channel. Then by a matching pc3.65c for the other side and run it as a two way as well, thus ditching the midrange for that set. Perhaps this is not what I should do. Maybe I should run 2 way components and then just purchase a separate center channel speaker? I don't really know. Perhaps you can shed some light on it for me. Appreciate your time.
Old 03-09-2011   #45
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

I am not sure I follow still... sorry. If you purchase a pc3.65c 3way component set you will have two tweeters, two midranges and two midbass. Your saying you can only use the tweeters and midbass for the front left and right of your vehicle correct? (midbass in the doors and tweets in the a-pillars)Thus leaving you two midrange drivers.....One of which you could use as a center channel leaving you with one extra midrange driver. If this is correct then I dont understand why you would need two sets? Am I close?
Old 03-09-2011   #46
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 154 AudioBob will become famous soon enoughAudioBob will become famous soon enoughAudioBob will become famous soon enoughAudioBob will become famous soon enoughAudioBob will become famous soon enoughAudioBob will become famous soon enough

It is quite common to do exactly what you are wanting to do as many stock systems with center channels are configured exactly that way. A two-way system in door/a-pillar and a small midrange for a center channel speaker. You should be able to run the midrange in the center full range to help raise the stage and center the image. The crossovers on the PPI set can be used for either a two-way or three-way set up so you will only use them on your left and right sides and run the center off of a dedicated channel like the stock amplifier.

Lexus GS 350 AWD
Rockford Fosgate 3Sixty.3, PHD 6.1 Pro, JL 12w6v2, Audio System - Twister F4 380, JL Audio 500/1 Alpine 3513.
AudioBob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-09-2011   #47
DIYMA 500 Club

Oh yeah, man I must be tired. I only need to buy one set. Correct, I can only use the tweets and midbass in the front left and right. That leaves me with 2 midrange drivers, one of which I was hoping to use as the center channel. Would this setup work or am I better off going a different direction?
Old 03-09-2011   #48
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitty View Post
Oh yeah, man I must be tired. I only need to buy one set. Correct, I can only use the tweets and midbass in the front left and right. That leaves me with 2 midrange drivers, one of which I was hoping to use as the center channel. Would this setup work or am I better off going a different direction?
NO that should be great! I would NOT run the midrange "full range"!!!!
Make sure you have the ability to control the xover frequencys....bandpass, maybe between 400-10khz or so? Definitely not full range, it wont handle that in any way shape or form.
For my consultation fee you can send me the left over midrange J/K
Old 03-12-2011   #49
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 154 AudioBob will become famous soon enoughAudioBob will become famous soon enoughAudioBob will become famous soon enoughAudioBob will become famous soon enoughAudioBob will become famous soon enoughAudioBob will become famous soon enough

rexroadj, you are right about full range as I was figuring that the center channel in his car that is currently there from the factory would be crossed over in say the 400-500hz on up range. That is how the factory systems in most cars are configured because they use small drivers. If not, you are correct that a true full range signal would destroy that driver in a hurry. I don't think that it would be an issue to run it without a high end filter as it would just naturally roll off pretty high due to the fact that it is a 2'' driver.

Lexus GS 350 AWD
Rockford Fosgate 3Sixty.3, PHD 6.1 Pro, JL 12w6v2, Audio System - Twister F4 380, JL Audio 500/1 Alpine 3513.
AudioBob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-12-2011   #50
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by AudioBob View Post
rexroadj, you are right about full range as I was figuring that the center channel in his car that is currently there from the factory would be crossed over in say the 400-500hz on up range. That is how the factory systems in most cars are configured because they use small drivers. If not, you are correct that a true full range signal would destroy that driver in a hurry. I don't think that it would be an issue to run it without a high end filter as it would just naturally roll off pretty high due to the fact that it is a 2'' driver.
Yeah, I knew/assumed thats what you meant... I just didnt want the guy to try it if he was not on the same page... I did try the midrange running free on the high end, and despite the fact its only a 2.5" driver.....I wouldnt trust it there either. I would say 10k is about the max I would go with it if you have any significant power to it. Which to me still puts it as a GREAT center channel if it were to be used with a bandpass filter.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement