NEW PPI PC3.65C Review! - Page 3 - Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-12-2011   #51
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 154 AudioBob will become famous soon enoughAudioBob will become famous soon enoughAudioBob will become famous soon enoughAudioBob will become famous soon enoughAudioBob will become famous soon enoughAudioBob will become famous soon enough

Default Re: NEW PPI PC3.65C Review!

I think that you would know since you have actually ran them before. I ran a pair of 2" small peerless and CDT speakers that way and they were nice, but one set was poly with an aluminum dust cap and one set was treated paper.

I was contemplating running either the PPI or the SoundStream set in my Lexus. I was going to run the mid in the door and the 2.5" and tweeter in the stock location on the dash, which is not a huge obstacle. I would have to fabricate a bracket because the factory sound system is configured with just a tweeter there. The Mark Levinson system has a mid and a tweeter on the dash so there is room there.

I opted to try a two-way system with the mid in the door and the tweeter in the dash location. My factory system also has a center channel in the dash so I will have to work to blend it in and try to get the best stereo separation and center image that I can. I think that I am like you in that I like to try to keep it as simple as possible.

Are you still liking your Boston SPZ's??? I ran the Boston Pro Series back in the early 90's in a competition car and I absolutely loved them. I also was running all SoundStream DII series amplifiers. I had a center channel in my car in 1990 using a Boston Pro 4.2 set with an Audio Control ESP-3. It was a lot of work removing the entire dash and fabricating brackets and etc... but it was well worth it in the end. I am going to run a Polk MM6501 set in this car just because I want to try something different.

Lexus GS 350 AWD
Rockford Fosgate 3Sixty.3, PHD 6.1 Pro, JL 12w6v2, Audio System - Twister F4 380, JL Audio 500/1 Alpine 3513.
AudioBob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-12-2011   #52
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 183 rexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by AudioBob View Post
I think that you would know since you have actually ran them before. I ran a pair of 2" small peerless and CDT speakers that way and they were nice, but one set was poly with an aluminum dust cap and one set was treated paper.

I was contemplating running either the PPI or the SoundStream set in my Lexus. I was going to run the mid in the door and the 2.5" and tweeter in the stock location on the dash, which is not a huge obstacle. I would have to fabricate a bracket because the factory sound system is configured with just a tweeter there. The Mark Levinson system has a mid and a tweeter on the dash so there is room there.

I opted to try a two-way system with the mid in the door and the tweeter in the dash location. My factory system also has a center channel in the dash so I will have to work to blend it in and try to get the best stereo separation and center image that I can. I think that I am like you in that I like to try to keep it as simple as possible.

Are you still liking your Boston SPZ's??? I ran the Boston Pro Series back in the early 90's in a competition car and I absolutely loved them. I also was running all SoundStream DII series amplifiers. I had a center channel in my car in 1990 using a Boston Pro 4.2 set with an Audio Control ESP-3. It was a lot of work removing the entire dash and fabricating brackets and etc... but it was well worth it in the end. I am going to run a Polk MM6501 set in this car just because I want to try something different.
I am interested in the SS 3way setup. The tweeter has me intrigued and the midrange is the same (great decision there and the midbass I believe has a little more excursion capability so I think it would be a moderate or possible upgrade over the ppi set (to me anyway). In a vehicle like a lexus I think the ppi set could really shine. Sounds like the stock locations would actually be perfect for them. I am pretty sure the set (xover etc) was designed for that placement exactly.
I am still loving my SPZ's! I still have a LOT of work left to do with my install to get them prime. I am finishing my ported center console for my BA G510 today (hopefully). Its been built and tested with pretty good results so I have to finish making it pretty!

WOW you were doing a center channel WAY before it was cool or common! GOOD for you! I am sure it was an assload of work (better you then me The rest of the setup was pretty killer too!
Let me know how the polk's work out. They seem like EXCELLENT comps and have been getting some really rave reviews.
rexroadj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-12-2011   #53
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 154 AudioBob will become famous soon enoughAudioBob will become famous soon enoughAudioBob will become famous soon enoughAudioBob will become famous soon enoughAudioBob will become famous soon enoughAudioBob will become famous soon enough

When you have a certain Grand National sitting next to you in the judging lanes, you better do something unique to get some attention. At one point on IASCAs' judging sheet you received extra points for using processors. However, there were some purists out there that thought that processing was a band-aid and did not want to use it.

When I first decided to do the center channel I took some depth measurements and realized that I would have to slightly modify a/c duct work. I actually went through two dashes getting it right. Fortunately, they were not too expensive from the local pick and pulls because there were a lot of totaled Mustangs that were in like new condition!!!

Lexus GS 350 AWD
Rockford Fosgate 3Sixty.3, PHD 6.1 Pro, JL 12w6v2, Audio System - Twister F4 380, JL Audio 500/1 Alpine 3513.
AudioBob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2011   #54
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 102 asat11 will become famous soon enoughasat11 will become famous soon enoughasat11 will become famous soon enoughasat11 will become famous soon enoughasat11 will become famous soon enoughasat11 will become famous soon enough

Rexroad, have you ever heard the Pioneer PRS 720's? How would these compare? Thinking about these two setups....
asat11 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-22-2011   #55
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 183 rexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond repute

I owned the prs set for a very short time. I was not a fan but I didnt give them much of a shot.... Lacking install locations and didnt get a chance to go active on it so my opinion is not exactly an acceptable one. The set had some legit potential though... As far as a comparison???? I dont think there is one.... First of all as a three way setup vs. two way there are going to be some clear distinctions..... (in my particular install). The PPI midbass is no where near as robust as the PRS..... The tweeters are a big difference also....being metal vs. soft.... I actually like metal dome tweeters because of my install location being pretty off axis. The PRS tweets did NOTHING for me... but then again I think active would have helped a great bit...I also assume being more on axis would yeild different results... I will say this, the midrange that comes with the PPI set is worth the retail price alone...this makes the set IMO. I also think that the xovers are well designed (although I HATED the terminals on it)..... Sorry I cant be of more help with your comparison...I really didnt do either set justice as far as time and or install plan... I would like to have time with both sets again
Old 03-22-2011   #56
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 102 asat11 will become famous soon enoughasat11 will become famous soon enoughasat11 will become famous soon enoughasat11 will become famous soon enoughasat11 will become famous soon enoughasat11 will become famous soon enough

Gonna put them in a 96 Saturn SL2 Front doors and A pillars, power is a fosgate power 500a2, also have another power 500 running 2 10" Diamond M5 Subs. Sound deadened the trunk, rear deck and doors with 45 mil EPDM, replacing some Diamond M5 6" components that have seen better days.... The M5's seem to have lost alot of the tight mid bass they had when I had them in a 01 New Beetle.... looking to regain SQ - I can live with a bit less volume if I gain clarity and articulation, but I do like a great song loud.,... mostly rock and any kind of great guitar work....
asat11 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-23-2011   #57
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 0 isteb will become famous soon enoughisteb will become famous soon enoughisteb will become famous soon enoughisteb will become famous soon enoughisteb will become famous soon enoughisteb will become famous soon enough

i actually lusted for it.. until soundstreams rf3.6c's came out.. looks like a carbon copy or exact copy of ppi's 3.65c *sigh
isteb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-23-2011   #58
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

The midrange is the only thing shared actually
Old 04-23-2011   #59
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 103 onefaststang will become famous soon enoughonefaststang will become famous soon enoughonefaststang will become famous soon enoughonefaststang will become famous soon enoughonefaststang will become famous soon enoughonefaststang will become famous soon enough

So what are the actual differences between the 2 sets?
onefaststang is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-24-2011   #60
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

The xover points are different (I think) and you cant run the 3way as a two way, the midbass is completely different...Grizz talked about all the differences but I dont recall all of them, and the tweets are a great deal larger and different materials.. Cosmetically they are moderately similar. I would love to try them out personally, as the PPI set was INCREDIBLY impressive, especially for the cost!
Old 04-24-2011   #61
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 103 onefaststang will become famous soon enoughonefaststang will become famous soon enoughonefaststang will become famous soon enoughonefaststang will become famous soon enoughonefaststang will become famous soon enoughonefaststang will become famous soon enough

I would like to try a set of either by I'm not sure which. I love the copper color of the ppi set but have read the mid bass is lacking.
Old 04-30-2011   #62
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 0 moparbar will become famous soon enoughmoparbar will become famous soon enoughmoparbar will become famous soon enoughmoparbar will become famous soon enoughmoparbar will become famous soon enoughmoparbar will become famous soon enough

Awesome,
I am also thinking of installing this system in my '04 dodge ram. Do you think it's possible to mount the midrange in the door above the switches (behind where the side mirror mounts)? Do you think the imaging would be any better?
moparbar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-30-2011   #63
DIYMA 500 Club

I emailed grizz on the differences between the 2 sets. The only real difference between them is the tweeter. The rest is just cosmetics. I ordered a set of the ppi's. Maybe I can instal them in the next couple weeks. I plan to try the mid and tweet in the factory mach 460 sail panel in my mustang. With a little work of course.
Old 04-30-2011   #64
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by onefaststang View Post
I emailed grizz on the differences between the 2 sets. The only real difference between them is the tweeter. The rest is just cosmetics. I ordered a set of the ppi's. Maybe I can instal them in the next couple weeks. I plan to try the mid and tweet in the factory mach 460 sail panel in my mustang. With a little work of course.
? I could have swore that the midbass was a bit different... More xmax or something to that degree? I will have to look up what he said before.... Eitherway....The ppi set is great!
Old 04-30-2011   #65
DIYMA 500 Club

From what he told me the ss has a cast basket and different heatsink (magnet) shape but the drivers perform the same.
Old 05-05-2011   #66
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 132 91dime will become famous soon enough91dime will become famous soon enough91dime will become famous soon enough91dime will become famous soon enough91dime will become famous soon enough91dime will become famous soon enough

What kind of mounting options do you have with the tweeters from this set?

96 S10 3 way active 13 Golf R
91 s10 4 way active 11 Gti autobahn
91dime is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-06-2011   #67
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

If I remeber correctly it was only flush mount and the setups for it were terrible! (metal clips that go in the back?)
I didnt use them...I made my own...
Old 01-10-2014   #68
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 120 tonynca will become famous soon enoughtonynca will become famous soon enoughtonynca will become famous soon enoughtonynca will become famous soon enoughtonynca will become famous soon enoughtonynca will become famous soon enough

I'm thinking of picking up a set of these to replace my PPI 365cs. Do you think it's an upgrade?
tonynca is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-10-2014   #69
DIYMA 500 Club
Upgrade Your Membership!

the darkside is loud

12V Company:
Automotive Inspections Services
Position:
Owner

Rep Power: 235 Darth SQ has a reputation beyond reputeDarth SQ has a reputation beyond reputeDarth SQ has a reputation beyond reputeDarth SQ has a reputation beyond reputeDarth SQ has a reputation beyond reputeDarth SQ has a reputation beyond reputeDarth SQ has a reputation beyond reputeDarth SQ has a reputation beyond reputeDarth SQ has a reputation beyond reputeDarth SQ has a reputation beyond reputeDarth SQ has a reputation beyond repute

LMAO!
I have three sets of these and I still don't know what they sound like mounted.

Bret
PPI-ART COLLECTOR

"It's amazing how good things sound in print."-Anon
Darth SQ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-13-2014   #70
Upgrade Your Membership!

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 354 rton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by PPI-ART COLLECTOR View Post
LMAO!
I have three sets of these and I still don't know what they sound like mounted.

Bret
PPI-ART COLLECTOR
And now you're going to have to buy three sets of these to replace them...
Precision Power Intros First Car Audio Speakers With AMT Tweeter | ceoutlook.com
rton20s is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-13-2014   #71
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 120 tonynca will become famous soon enoughtonynca will become famous soon enoughtonynca will become famous soon enoughtonynca will become famous soon enoughtonynca will become famous soon enoughtonynca will become famous soon enough

Wrong link dude

http://www.ceoutlook.com/2014/01/03/...h-amt-tweeter/

Those are ugly as hell though
tonynca is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-13-2014   #72
Upgrade Your Membership!

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 354 rton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond reputerton20s has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonynca View Post
Wrong link dude

No. It isn't. The link I posted to was to a press release about the new Precision Power "Power Class" 3 way components with AMT Tweeter.
rton20s is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-13-2014   #73
DIYMA 500 Club
Upgrade Your Membership!

the darkside is loud

12V Company:
Automotive Inspections Services
Position:
Owner

Rep Power: 235 Darth SQ has a reputation beyond reputeDarth SQ has a reputation beyond reputeDarth SQ has a reputation beyond reputeDarth SQ has a reputation beyond reputeDarth SQ has a reputation beyond reputeDarth SQ has a reputation beyond reputeDarth SQ has a reputation beyond reputeDarth SQ has a reputation beyond reputeDarth SQ has a reputation beyond reputeDarth SQ has a reputation beyond reputeDarth SQ has a reputation beyond repute

Lol!
Don't do this to me. ><
Wow...they've changed everything in the set.

Bret
PPI-ART COLLECTOR

"It's amazing how good things sound in print."-Anon

Last edited by Darth SQ; 01-13-2014 at 07:07 PM..
Darth SQ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-13-2014   #74
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 166 AAAAAAA will become famous soon enoughAAAAAAA will become famous soon enoughAAAAAAA will become famous soon enoughAAAAAAA will become famous soon enoughAAAAAAA will become famous soon enoughAAAAAAA will become famous soon enoughAAAAAAA will become famous soon enoughAAAAAAA will become famous soon enough

The midrange in that set looks huge. Would be hard to install.
AAAAAAA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-24-2014   #75
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 85 tat2bass will become famous soon enoughtat2bass will become famous soon enoughtat2bass will become famous soon enoughtat2bass will become famous soon enoughtat2bass will become famous soon enoughtat2bass will become famous soon enough

Looks like a normal size mid to me. It is an ugly ass set though. I loved the look of the previous set. And I wonder why they moved away from using the neo motors
tat2bass is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement