Old to recording studio, new to car audio - Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-17-2019   #1

Rep Power: 5 St7_77 will become famous soon enoughSt7_77 will become famous soon enoughSt7_77 will become famous soon enoughSt7_77 will become famous soon enoughSt7_77 will become famous soon enoughSt7_77 will become famous soon enough

Default Old to recording studio, new to car audio

whee. Post #1. Title says the generals. Honda Accord V6 2010 sedan, 7 speaker "premium" (more like "poopium") system. Haven't started swapping it out yet..
St7_77 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-17-2019   #2

Rep Power: 31 ckirocz28 will become famous soon enoughckirocz28 will become famous soon enoughckirocz28 will become famous soon enoughckirocz28 will become famous soon enoughckirocz28 will become famous soon enoughckirocz28 will become famous soon enough

Default Re: Old to recording studio, new to car audio

Quote:
Originally Posted by St7_77 View Post
whee. Post #1. Title says the generals. Honda Accord V6 2010 sedan, 7 speaker "premium" (more like "poopium") system. Haven't started swapping it out yet..
Welcome to DIYMA! Poke around a bit, there's a wealth of information here, and some very helpful professionals, too.
ckirocz28 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-17-2019   #3

Rep Power: 5 St7_77 will become famous soon enoughSt7_77 will become famous soon enoughSt7_77 will become famous soon enoughSt7_77 will become famous soon enoughSt7_77 will become famous soon enoughSt7_77 will become famous soon enough

Thanks! Btw, is it 100 posts or 250 to get to classifieds? I saw different things in different places on the site.

Old 05-17-2019   #4

Rep Power: 31 ckirocz28 will become famous soon enoughckirocz28 will become famous soon enoughckirocz28 will become famous soon enoughckirocz28 will become famous soon enoughckirocz28 will become famous soon enoughckirocz28 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Thanks! Btw, is it 100 posts or 250 to get to classifieds? I saw different things in different places on the site.
That I don't know. I did see someone mention 250 earlier today, though.
ckirocz28 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-17-2019   #5

Rep Power: 12 jcesl2 will become famous soon enoughjcesl2 will become famous soon enoughjcesl2 will become famous soon enoughjcesl2 will become famous soon enoughjcesl2 will become famous soon enoughjcesl2 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
You should be able to view them and reply in them now. Pretty sure I had 5 or so posts first time I bought something.

2012 Mercedes E63 / Audison bit DMI, bit One HD, TH quattro, TH 1.5 II violino, TH 6.5 II SAX / Hertz HP 802, ML 2500.3 / Build Log
jcesl2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-17-2019   #6

Yeah. I think it's 100 or 250 to sell something. But that's okay. It'll be a spell before I have anything to sell.
Old 05-17-2019   #7

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 53 dcfis will become famous soon enoughdcfis will become famous soon enoughdcfis will become famous soon enoughdcfis will become famous soon enoughdcfis will become famous soon enoughdcfis will become famous soon enough

What Mains ya got?
dcfis is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-18-2019   #8

You mean at the studio?
Old 05-18-2019   #9

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 53 dcfis will become famous soon enoughdcfis will become famous soon enoughdcfis will become famous soon enoughdcfis will become famous soon enoughdcfis will become famous soon enoughdcfis will become famous soon enough

Yes in your studio
Old 05-18-2019   #10

Tannoy SGM10B and
Auratone 5C (late 70s) are the primaries, and sometimes

Yamaha NS-10M and
Acoustic Energy AE1...
And headphones wise HD600 (much preferred over the bass-boosted 650s)....
DAC = DíBox.
Old 05-18-2019   #11

Enthusiast

Nice, My buddy listens to DMT 12s that came out of a studio in new york. Can you explain why everyone used ns-10s? Ive talked to many people and they just say its a standard, everyone has them. Though noone claims they sound good
Old 05-18-2019   #12

The point is not to sound good in the studio (except for client playback perhaps). The point is for it to ďtranslateĒ to other stereos beyond the the studioís monitors. Despite whatís common in car audio, frequency response is NOT the only important measure - not for a studio monitor anyway. There are many flatter speakers than the ones I use and definitely ones with better low end extension. Back to the NS10. Itís a sealed cabinet. This means the low end (for this driver and cab at least) starts rolling off at maybe 100 or ~75hz at best. BUT the lows that are there are much faster / more accurate (outside of freq response). NS10s also have a nasty frequency peak somehwhere around 2-7K (sorry to not be more specific) and donít have great high frequency extension either. Sounding like a horrible speaker yet? Honestly I love auratones even more which are nicknamed ďhorrortonesĒ because they are so mid centric.... NS10s though. So, that nasty frequency spike forces an engineer to smooth out the vocals or if the electric guitars or cymbals or whatever are too spiky right around the frequencies where our ears are most senseitice. The lack of deep low end also helps us stay focused on whatís most important in a mic - the mid range. Why mids? Because our ears hear mids easier than highs or lows, especially when listening at low volume (google fletcher musnson curve). Plus we have no idea whose stereo will have great highs and lows but even the crappiest Apple earbuds or laptop speakers still has some mids. Mixing with the primary focus on the mids also means the mix comes out louder (and not due to compression) because we naturally get the midrange more ďfullĒ sounding, and thatís loudest to the way humans hear plus takes less wattage to reproduce than low end (think about loud rock records, there isnít actually much bottom end on a lot of them - sadly because it got squashed away in the loudness wars for some recordings in the last 20ish years). Lastly, Since NS10s arenít very loud in the lows (theyíre there but fairly rolled off) it lets the mix engineer know whether too much of the bass guitar, or floor tom, or even vocalís energy is made up of deep lows. If you mix solely on some scooped modern studio monitor (most of the crap available these days), it can sound bangin in the studio and then take it to a car with a stock system, especislly an older car without good lows, and all the volumes of the instruments in the mix may seem to be way different than what you heard in the studio. Why? Several reasons. But one is that the mix had too much energy (at least for certain instruments/sources) below say 80-100Hz. Maybe the floor tom didnít need to have ALL its 250-700 gutted (or even more). Maybe the bass guitar actually needs a HPF or low shelf reduction not a low end boost. Etc etc. mixing records is a bit more complicated frequency wise than it might appear and a lot of if it counterintuitive.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to St7_77 For This Useful Post:
audiobaun (05-19-2019), bbfoto (05-19-2019), diy.phil (05-18-2019)
Old 05-18-2019   #13

I hope these posts are counting cause thatís a knowledge post, ha.... PS. Thereís a common misconception that ďwell great engineers work on shorty speakers like NS10s so my earbuds/computer speakers/bottom dollar GC junk will work fineĒ. Nope, odds are the junk most people have around their house are not closed enclosures, do not have good crossovers, are artificially bass boosted, etc, etc. The NS10 standards arenít accidentally standard. They are because they work. They can be pretty hairy to listen to, especially if not on a good amp and positioned well, but they translate well (so long as they arenít the only speaker used, or the person has enough experience to know not to go boosting severely at frequencies those speakers barely reproduce). Almost no one mixes with those only though. Everyone uses them along side some more full bandwidth speakers. A lot of stuff is different in the studio though from car audio. Phase alignment has to be MUCH better when youíre tinkering inside a mix. Example - subs are rarely incorporated well in studios and it screws stuff up. Ramble, ramble, ramble....
The Following User Says Thank You to St7_77 For This Useful Post:
diy.phil (05-18-2019)
Old 05-18-2019   #14

Rep Power: 10 OldNewbie will become famous soon enoughOldNewbie will become famous soon enoughOldNewbie will become famous soon enoughOldNewbie will become famous soon enoughOldNewbie will become famous soon enoughOldNewbie will become famous soon enough

This reminds me of when I used to sell hi-fi in the 80's and people would come in looking for this or that because 'That's what the Pros' use." Pro's (DJ's or others) are not listening in a living room trying to enjoy the music. Their objectives are much different than yours.
OldNewbie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-18-2019   #15

Yep^... what he said. Although it does also change what we find enjoyable after awhile.
Old 05-18-2019   #16

Enthusiast

Well the reason Im saying is so many of my Super high end home audio guys are going more and more to powered studio monitors. Eggleston and Wilson speakers are being replace with M2s (all the rage and changed my whole perspective of home playback). A Guy that had Harbeth are using Amphion studio monitors, another with Sonus Faber Extremas he worships are sharing time with JBL 708 monitors.

Things are shifting very quickly in high end home audio.
Old 05-18-2019   #17

Rep Power: 82 dgage will become famous soon enoughdgage will become famous soon enoughdgage will become famous soon enoughdgage will become famous soon enoughdgage will become famous soon enoughdgage will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcfis View Post
Well the reason Im saying is so many of my Super high end home audio guys are going more and more to powered studio monitors. Eggleston and Wilson speakers are being replace with M2s (all the rage and changed my whole perspective of home playback). A Guy that had Harbeth are using Amphion studio monitors, another with Sonus Faber Extremas he worships are sharing time with JBL 708 monitors.

I really think some of the speakers you mentioned switching from are more impressive for their cost than their audio playback acumen but my Wilson exposure is limited but what I have heard left me questioning peopleís sanity. Iíve heard the JBL M2s and they are impressive though definitely need a sub when pushed. And the 708Ps are a nice smaller speaker. Also heard the JBL 4722s (with upgraded comp driver) and they were effortless in a med size home theater room, which makes sense since they were designed for an actual theater.

I build large home theater subwoofers and I am constantly annoyed how poorly some sound engineers neuter or wreck the low frequency extension on movie soundtracks.
dgage is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-18-2019   #18

Quote:

No offense but the speakers you mentioned (minus amphion), I donít know any engineers using them (and amphions, kinda a passing fad it seems in studios but Iím not sure. I heard them once and they were pleasant, like way too soft sounding for mixing, but maybe it was the amphion class D amp). Ironically a lot of high end engineers are more toward hifi companies than ďstudio monitorĒ companies. Examples - ATC, ProAc, B&W, PMC, NS10 is a home bookshelf speaker, etc... Not to say that there arenít guys on stuff like Barefoots (DSPíd to death Iím my opinion. Sounds like what chromatic aberration looks like.. but I digress). Iím more for old school solid science generally than odd new tech. Doing it right takes longer. Having a good sounding room is more effort than getting speakers that promise to only radiate sound forward and such, but so far Iíve not liked overly complex science thatís often a bandaid for just doing the old way really really well.
Old 05-18-2019   #19

PS. This is always the case though. M2 for example may sound ďimpressiveĒ. And thatís the goal of hifi perhaps. As a worker though, if those are the huge ones I heard awhile back, they sounded impossible to actually work on. There are some good JBLs, from way back in the day. The new ones I canít hang with... If you/ your friends get a chance to hear some big ATC stuff, see what you think. It may not go super deep in the lows (some models) but everything else is far more natural sounding than most stuff out there.
Old 05-18-2019   #20

Rep Power: 82 dgage will become famous soon enoughdgage will become famous soon enoughdgage will become famous soon enoughdgage will become famous soon enoughdgage will become famous soon enoughdgage will become famous soon enough

I agree. Iíll take decent speakers in a well-planned room than great speakers in a mediocre (for audio) room.
dgage is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-18-2019   #21

Enthusiast

Quote:
PS. This is always the case though. M2 for example may sound ďimpressiveĒ. And thatís the goal of hifi perhaps. As a worker though, if those are the huge ones I heard awhile back, they sounded impossible to actually work on. There are some good JBLs, from way back in the day. The new ones I canít hang with... If you/ your friends get a chance to hear some big ATC stuff, see what you think. It may not go super deep in the lows (some models) but everything else is far more natural sounding than most stuff out there.
Many were into atc pmc a decade or so back. Imo the home stuff cannot hold their own anymore. Bruce Botnick, Frank Filipetti and Kenny Mixx have switched and YouTube about it.
Old 05-18-2019   #22

Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgage View Post
I really think some of the speakers you mentioned switching from are more impressive for their cost than their audio playback acumen but my Wilson exposure is limited but what I have heard left me questioning peopleís sanity. Iíve heard the JBL M2s and they are impressive though definitely need a sub when pushed. And the 708Ps are a nice smaller speaker. Also heard the JBL 4722s (with upgraded comp driver) and they were effortless in a med size home theater room, which makes sense since they were designed for an actual theater.

I build large home theater subwoofers and I am constantly annoyed how poorly some sound engineers neuter or wreck the low frequency extension on movie soundtracks.

You are in the know then. Yes the 4722 is impressive with that beryllium comp driver. I think your criticism of the eggleston and Wilson are correct but in a slightly different context. Seems like you are a pro at multichannel and look at it from that lens. The big Wilson's and egglestons were impressive in 2 channel rooms built around them at moderate listening levels. As far as the scan speaks and dynaudios could go. Implemented to the max, then those guys who dropped a ton of cash still realized they were still listening to a 6 inch or two and a dome tweet. They weren't "Live" sounding, they couldn't boogie and Gedlee came and opened people's eyes and they realized jbl and Altec and tannoy mastered this decades ago. Then the tons of diy big driver coax kits and ob kits made way for 4429 the big heritage tannoys k2 then the pro stuff to make their way into the hardcore 2 channel guys homes.

So while you might criticize the m2 in a multichannel system it's absolutely a monster in small to medium 2 channel rooms. I'm glad they are starting to overlap though.
Old 05-18-2019   #23

Enthusiast

Oh and st7 I've got two Accords a 7th and 9th gen and might be able to help on your 8th where they overlap. Redoing my ib wall right now, maybe my single 15 baffle would for the 8th gen
Old 05-18-2019   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgage View Post
I agree. Iíll take decent speakers in a well-planned room than great speakers in a mediocre (for audio) room.
Iíd probably agree but thatís not what I meant. I meant my definition of a great speaker is one whose PHYSICAL properties work such that DSP isnít needed (or other weird newfangled tech that is ďimpressiveĒ but often sacrifices fidelity). Itís really common for modern speakers to look great on paper cause all they print is loudness, sensitivity and frequency extension. But that tells us nothing about phase or timing (you can have flat frequency response and still have a speaker that sounds like crap because itís all phasey in the crossovers or for other reasons, or because the timing is horrible, perhaps it doesnít ďresolveĒ well and you lose the ends of reverb tails - SUPER common in modern active speakers but no one knows cause they havenít heard stuff that does resolve.. or at least that was me a few years ago).
Old 05-18-2019   #25

Quote:
Many were into atc pmc a decade or so back. Imo the home stuff cannot hold their own anymore. Bruce Botnick, Frank Filipetti and Kenny Mixx have switched and YouTube about it.
Have switched to what?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement