Compustar alarm in 2001 Chevy Tahoe w/ DEI 508D prox sensor - Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-23-2018   #1
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 126 Shane will become famous soon enoughShane will become famous soon enoughShane will become famous soon enoughShane will become famous soon enoughShane will become famous soon enoughShane will become famous soon enough

Default Compustar alarm in 2001 Chevy Tahoe w/ DEI 508D prox sensor

So I am going to install a Compustar CM7300 alarm in my 2001 Chevy Tahoe. While the vehicle isn't worth much, the Zapco's, Audiofrog and JL equipment is worth a lot and I intend to keep it mine.

I have the wiring schematic for the Tahoe and that is straight forward.

What I want to do is also install a DEI Proximity Sensor 508D with the intent of locking/arming the vehicle with the windows down (maybe an inch or two) and if someone comes close to the vehicle, then the windows will roll up. If someone sticks their hands inside the vehicle, then the alarm goes off.

(I would only roll the windows down when I am close to the vehicle.)

I also have the Drone DM5200 module to send any alerts to my cell phone as well.

So.... any advice how to install the DEI 508D unit to roll the windows up when someone comes close or sticks their hands inside the vehicle ??

I will be doing the install this coming weekend, so any advice is great!

Thanks!
Shane is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-24-2018   #2
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 145 What? will become famous soon enoughWhat? will become famous soon enoughWhat? will become famous soon enoughWhat? will become famous soon enoughWhat? will become famous soon enoughWhat? will become famous soon enough

Default Re: Compustar alarm in 2001 Chevy Tahoe w/ DEI 508D prox sensor

If you have remote start, why leave your windows down ever? If you're leaving the windows down to cool the vehicle, just start it.
The Directed 535T can do 4 windows up upon trigger. It has a siren trigger close input.

If you have not experienced a 508D, I suggest you see one in action. IMO you want the outer warning field to only warn when you are VERY close to the front side windows. The inner field needs to be set at least 12-18" inside the window before it triggers. It is not magic and will not detect a hand reaching into the car but will false like crazy if the fields are too large. If you do not have a sunroof, install the sensor in the headliner a little forward of the B pillar. If installed in the console, the metal seat frames and any metal drink cans, change, keys, etc that are metal above it will cause falsing problems especially when it is hot. Fields will be set more accurately if you can get the vehicle outside, away from buildings, other cars, and fluorescent lights. To set warning field, put windows up, get away from vehicle, arm it, wait 30 seconds approach vehicle and put your face close to the window as if you were looking into the vehicle. You can also wave your arm on the outside of the window. Adjust the outer field to your liking. For the inner field, put the windows down, get away from vehicle, arm it, wait 30 seconds approach vehicle and put your arm through the window slowly and wave it up and down while moving into the car. Middle of the steering wheel should cause trigger.
Sensor is affected by heat and large mass around the vehicle like walls, trucks, etc. One great feature of the Directed higher end alarms is the ability to turn the warning triggers off from the remote so it does not chirp constantly if people or vehicles are moving around the vehicle. Some window tint will affect the field size. I also suggest using a bubble/foil sunshade 24/7 to help corral the field as it will go out the windshield.

I have 3 cars with different prox sensors on them. I have had a 508D on my truck for 11.5 years and I have two DEI window control modules in the same truck so I can have one-touch up and down for all windows but I did not tie the window control modules into the alarm because IMO, remote start negates the need to put the windows down or leave them vented. YMMV.

Last edited by What?; 05-24-2018 at 03:35 PM..
What? is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-24-2018   #3
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 126 Shane will become famous soon enoughShane will become famous soon enoughShane will become famous soon enoughShane will become famous soon enoughShane will become famous soon enoughShane will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by What? View Post
If you have remote start, why leave your windows down ever? If you're leaving the windows down to cool the vehicle, just start it.
The Directed 535T can do 4 windows up upon trigger. It has a siren trigger close input.

If you have not experienced a 508D, I suggest you see one in action. IMO you want the outer warning field to only warn when you are VERY close to the front side windows. The inner field needs to be set at least 12-18" inside the window before it triggers. It is not magic and will not detect a hand reaching into the car but will false like crazy if the fields are too large. If you do not have a sunroof, install the sensor in the headliner a little forward of the B pillar. If installed in the console, the metal seat frames and any metal drink cans, change, keys, etc that are metal above it will cause falsing problems especially when it is hot. Fields will be set more accurately if you can get the vehicle outside, away from buildings, other cars, and fluorescent lights. To set warning field, put windows up, get away from vehicle, arm it, wait 30 seconds approach vehicle and put your face close to the window as if you were looking into the vehicle. You can also wave your arm on the outside of the window. Adjust the outer field to your liking. For the inner field, put the windows down, get away from vehicle, arm it, wait 30 seconds approach vehicle and put your arm through the window slowly and wave it up and down while moving into the car. Middle of the steering wheel should cause trigger.
Sensor is affected by heat and large mass around the vehicle like walls, trucks, etc. One great feature of the Directed higher end alarms is the ability to turn the warning triggers off from the remote so it does not chirp constantly if people or vehicles are moving around the vehicle. Some window tint will affect the field size. I also suggest using a bubble/foil sunshade 24/7 to help corral the field as it will go out the windshield.

I have 3 cars with different prox sensors on them. I have had a 508D on my truck for 11.5 years and I have two DEI window control modules in the same truck so I can have one-touch up and down for all windows but I did not tie the window control modules into the alarm because IMO, remote start negates the need to put the windows down or leave them vented. YMMV.
I will follow all of your install and set-up tips!

So the Directed 535T is another module I need to purchase? It would be compatible with the Compustar alarm ?

I am not installing a remote start tho. Just the alarm.
Q: How do I install the DEI 508d unit so it can roll up the windows when the inner field has been tripped? Specifically, what do I do with the wiring?? I would need the 535T as well I think?

Thanks!

Last edited by Shane; 05-24-2018 at 08:43 PM..

Old 05-25-2018   #4
DIYMA 500 Club

As best as I can tell, the following wires from the Compustar main harness will be used with this install:
(-250mA) GWA ---> to ????
(-250mA) Lock Output (POC#2) ---> to Power Lock, lt blue
(-250mA) Unlock Output (POC#3) ---> to Power unlock, white
(-250mA) Trunk Trigger Input (PIC#2) ---> ???
(+/-) Door Trigger Input ---> ???
(-) Instant Trigger Input (PIC#4) <-- from motion from proximity sensor
(-250mA) PRK Light Output (POC#7)
(-) Hood Pin (PIC#5) ---> hood pin
(+) Siren Output ---> siren wire

and unused:
(-) Disarm Disable Input
(-250mA) Horn Output
(-) IGN & Sensor bypass
(+) Front Brake Input
(-250mA) Disarm Output
(-250mA) Rearm Output
(-) Key Sense Input
(-250mA) Trunk Output
Tach Sensing Input
(-250mA) Aux 1 output
(-250mA) Aux 2 output

On the DEI 508 Prox sensor, I have a red(+), Black(-), blue, green.
How would it connect to the alarm??

Thanks so much for the help...
Old 05-30-2018   #5
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 145 What? will become famous soon enoughWhat? will become famous soon enoughWhat? will become famous soon enoughWhat? will become famous soon enoughWhat? will become famous soon enoughWhat? will become famous soon enough

Many sensors connect directly to the alarm brain for power and ground. Do NOT connect the 508D power wire to the alarm sensor port. Connect it to main alarm power or other power connection. It comes with directions. If you give the 508D constant power, it will be on while you drive and may interfere with a radar detector if you use one. You can use a relay to allow the 508D to only be powered if the ignition is off.
The 508D output trigger can be connected to the 535T siren trigger close input.
You should read the manuals for each product. I have not dealt with compustar.
What? is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-07-2018   #6
DIYMA 500 Club

I think that I have the wiring pretty much figured out. After spending a bit of time looking af the diagrams, it looks straight forward.

One question tho... With that DEI 535 Window Module, I just want the windows to all roll up if someone trips the Prox Sensor. With the 535, I would still need to cut into all four window wiring on the main switch ? Seems like that's what I need to do.

Maybe there is a different window module I should be looking at possibly? Or the DEI 535 is the one to get?

(I just want toe windows to roll up if someone trips the proximity sensor).

Thanks!
Old 06-28-2018   #7
DIYMA 500 Club

Ive got the Compustar Alarm mostly installed and working, except it isn't triggering the door locks open and closed. I can hear the alarm module clicking so, its doing something.

I am thinking that the output current isn't enough for the doors to lock and unlock.

Anyone know if the Tahoe needs a triggered relay? I can obviously us the output from the Compustar and get more current from a relay and have it triggered that way.

Just thought I would ask.

Thanks Guys !
Old 06-30-2018   #8
DIYMA 500 Club

It seems that I am not getting any output from the door lock and unlock trigger wires from the Compustar unit.

I put the DMM on it and nothing from those two trigger wires.

Suggestions?
Old 06-30-2018   #9
DIYMA 500 Club

I think the issue is that the doors are a positive trigger and the output from the alarm is a negative trigger. I need to use some relays to change the negative to a positive door lock/unlock trigger.
Old 07-11-2018   #10
DIYMA 500 Club

So, I solved all the issues I had. Basically just noob problems that in the end, were all very basic.

Thanks again !
Old 07-11-2018   #11
DIYMA 500 Club

Default SOLVED: Re: Compustar alarm in 2001 Chevy Tahoe w/ DEI 508D prox sensor

Solved
Sponsored Links
Advertisement