Fitness Guru's - suggestion for very very very light cardio? - Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-04-2011   #1
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 155 USS Enterprise will become famous soon enoughUSS Enterprise will become famous soon enoughUSS Enterprise will become famous soon enoughUSS Enterprise will become famous soon enoughUSS Enterprise will become famous soon enoughUSS Enterprise will become famous soon enough

Default Fitness Guru's - suggestion for very very very light cardio?

Hey all.

I'm looking for suggestions for very light cardio.

For those who don't know, I have a host of medical problems.

One of them is a bad heart. It skips, stops, etc at random times. Sometimes very painful.
It's also gotten weak. Last October I was in the hospital, I was having a large run of skips for a few days, and got bad enough I had to be hospitalized.

I came out of it ok, but my heart is weaker for it.
I now have a very low blood pressure. My Doc has actually had me infuse MORE salt into my diet, to raise the pressure without medication. (meds would work as well, but would also make the skipping worse, putting me in even more danger)

I spent a while recovering, and the past few months have been walking around town, as well as some very minor exercises. Nothing major, just situps, pushups, a little little weights for my arms. (10 lbs)

It may sound shitty, but I can get 50 situps, 20 pushups done. And that's a big increase from what I was able to do. (barely 10 of each)

I feel stronger, and don't get winded as bad walking around.

So, i'm looking for suggestions to step it up a notch. Jogging is out of the question, too much for me yet. (within 30 seconds my heart is about to jump out of my chest, very painful, and risky)

So i'm looking for something slightly above walking. Has to be done indoors, as winter is fast approaching. (otherwise powerwalking fast would be an option)

Think buying a treadmill would be a good option?

If so, any good names I should look at?

Any other exercise machine that I may want to look into for general, all body VERY LIGHT exercise?

Keep in mind, i'm very weak with low endurance. So what I need are light exercises I can do crap tons of, as opposed to harder ones that stress my system.

All in due time, and I'm hoping that by spring i'll be strong enough to start jogging.

Thanks all!
USS Enterprise is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-04-2011   #2
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 110 9mmmac will become famous soon enough9mmmac will become famous soon enough9mmmac will become famous soon enough9mmmac will become famous soon enough9mmmac will become famous soon enough9mmmac will become famous soon enough9mmmac will become famous soon enough

Default Re: Fitness Guru's - suggestion for very very very light cardio?

Resistance bands?

You can usually get a kit of 3 or 4 at WalMart or Target. Sometimes they have a DVD included. Do what feels right, but start on the light/skinny band, whatever color that may be.

Doubling them up (folding them over in half) will increase resistance, but only you can tell if doubling up the easy one is better than just jumping up to the next one. They may seem easy, but after 15 or so reps you will change your mind!

You generally stand on the midpoint and pump your arms up and down, twist l-r, or sit on your butt and row (like a rowboat). You can also wrap them around a doorknob, or you can sink a BIG hook into the wall (PLEASE be careful!) and pull against that.

Lightweight dumbbells on a balance ball are also good, the feeling is a bit different than working with a band. Both dumbells and bands excercises can be adapted for balance ball workouts. You will work your core and back muscles, which will lead to better posture.

For a ball and bands, you should be out the door for 40ish bucks.

You might also think about a weight vest for your walks. Fill it up with sand/water or whatever. Start light, add more as you progress. Anle and arm weight are kinda in the same vein. Can you hookup with some mall walkers?
9mmmac is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-04-2011   #3
Upgrade Your Membership!

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 131 jcollin76 is just really nicejcollin76 is just really nicejcollin76 is just really nicejcollin76 is just really nicejcollin76 is just really nicejcollin76 is just really nicejcollin76 is just really nicejcollin76 is just really nicejcollin76 is just really nicejcollin76 is just really nicejcollin76 is just really nice

Do you have access to any indoor pools? Sometimes motels will let you use the pool. Swimming, water aerobics, water weight training, etc are very good for you, and easy on your joints and body.
Work tell you get your heart rate where you want it, then you can just relax poolside. After several knee injuries/surgeries, I also have to look for alternative cardio exercises. Moved from power lifting to more low weight-high rep work, to bring the cardio aspects into the weight training.
I'm sorry to hear of your physical problems, and wish you the best on recovery and strengthening your health!

08 Chevy Silverado ccsb >>>Pioneer DEX-P99RS>>>JL HD600/4×2, JL HD1200/1>>>Rainbow cal28>>>Pioneer ts-s062prs>>> Rainbow w175 platinum>>>JL zr800>>>Diyma R12 ×4 sealed>>> lots of Second skin, Raamaudio, and knuconcepts
jcollin76 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-04-2011   #4
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 104 underdog will become famous soon enoughunderdog will become famous soon enoughunderdog will become famous soon enoughunderdog will become famous soon enoughunderdog will become famous soon enoughunderdog will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcollin76 View Post
Do you have access to any indoor pools? Sometimes motels will let you use the pool. Swimming, water aerobics, water weight training, etc are very good for you, and easy on your joints and body.
Work tell you get your heart rate where you want it, then you can just relax poolside. After several knee injuries/surgeries, I also have to look for alternative cardio exercises. Moved from power lifting to more low weight-high rep work, to bring the cardio aspects into the weight training.
I'm sorry to hear of your physical problems, and wish you the best on recovery and strengthening your health!
I agree with water.

Walking is the next best.
Try speeding up your pace. Also pump your arms.
You can get ankle and wrist weights to wear also.
underdog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-05-2011   #5
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 127 FartinInTheTub will become famous soon enoughFartinInTheTub will become famous soon enoughFartinInTheTub will become famous soon enoughFartinInTheTub will become famous soon enoughFartinInTheTub will become famous soon enoughFartinInTheTub will become famous soon enoughFartinInTheTub will become famous soon enough

I work out 5 days a week. In your case I would suggest speed walking. Your pushups and situps are actually on par with the average male. Another suggestion would be for you to go to your local highschool or middle school and do some stairs in their stadium if they have one. Do NOT overdo this! take it easy and work your way up. Change your diet... Here is my diet for example...

Breakfast (Absolutely necessary to eat breakfast!) - Bowl of oatmeal with a small amount of brown or white sugar. and a large glass of water.

brunch - Maybe a small sandwich w/no or very light amount of mayo. Chicken or turkey is my choice. I take some turkey, spinach and cheese and wrap it up in a soft tortilla shell. large glass of water.

Lunch - I bake a half pound of chicken breast in the toaster over for around 35 minutes. Birdseye steamed rice packets are simple and fast. You throw them in the microwave for 5min and they're done.

Dinner - I take some deli turkey or chicken and wrap it up with some cheese in 2 tortilla shells... microwave them til the cheese it melted. roll em up and grub. Large cup of water.

When you eat small meals every 3-4 hours your body is able to digest and use the calories, protein and nutrients. This literally changes your body into a fat burning machine. The first step to being healthy is to get in shape.

Working on an install plan for my 2013 Subaru Legacy. Will post a build log soon!
FartinInTheTub is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-05-2011   #6
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 158 naiku will become famous soon enoughnaiku will become famous soon enoughnaiku will become famous soon enoughnaiku will become famous soon enoughnaiku will become famous soon enoughnaiku will become famous soon enoughnaiku will become famous soon enough

Bike + Indoor Bike Trainer. I have both a treadmill and a bike trainer, I feel like I can regulate my heart rate much easier on the bike trainer than I can on the treadmill. The added bonus of this is that when the weather is warmer out, you can then also use it outside.
naiku is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-05-2011   #7
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 153 The A Train will become famous soon enoughThe A Train will become famous soon enoughThe A Train will become famous soon enoughThe A Train will become famous soon enoughThe A Train will become famous soon enoughThe A Train will become famous soon enough

Send a message via AIM to The A Train

Quote:
Originally Posted by FartinInTheTub View Post

Lunch - I bake a half pound of chicken breast in the toaster over for around 35 minutes. Birdseye steamed rice packets are simple and fast. You throw them in the microwave for 5min and they're done.
how does that work?
The A Train is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-05-2011   #8
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 225 60ndown has a reputation beyond repute60ndown has a reputation beyond repute60ndown has a reputation beyond repute60ndown has a reputation beyond repute60ndown has a reputation beyond repute60ndown has a reputation beyond repute60ndown has a reputation beyond repute60ndown has a reputation beyond repute60ndown has a reputation beyond repute60ndown has a reputation beyond repute60ndown has a reputation beyond repute

im a big fan of elliptical trainers, whole body workout, indoors (watch tv/listen to headphones at the same time), and cheap if you can find a used one locally?

eastern CT all for sale / wanted classifieds "elliptical trainer" - craigslist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victor_inox View Post
bad contacts- main source of miracles in electricity.
60ndown is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-05-2011   #9
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 105 pdxlawyer will become famous soon enoughpdxlawyer will become famous soon enoughpdxlawyer will become famous soon enoughpdxlawyer will become famous soon enoughpdxlawyer will become famous soon enoughpdxlawyer will become famous soon enough

Ask your doctor for recommendations and if you have decent health insurance (ha ha ha no one does ) it might pay for training or physical therapy. Don't take this the wrong way, but you have a very serious health issue and strangers on the Internet are probably not the best soure of wisdom because they don't have access to your medical records or medical training.
pdxlawyer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-05-2011   #10
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 127 FartinInTheTub will become famous soon enoughFartinInTheTub will become famous soon enoughFartinInTheTub will become famous soon enoughFartinInTheTub will become famous soon enoughFartinInTheTub will become famous soon enoughFartinInTheTub will become famous soon enoughFartinInTheTub will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by ameuba10 View Post
how does that work?
I have a Cuisinart toaster over... I bake an 8oz chicken breast for maybe 40 minutes. When it gets close to done I throw in a package of Birdseye steamed rice into the microwave... It steams it in the bag and is done in 5 minutes. Good stuff!

Working on an install plan for my 2013 Subaru Legacy. Will post a build log soon!
FartinInTheTub is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-05-2011   #11
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 167 AAAAAAA will become famous soon enoughAAAAAAA will become famous soon enoughAAAAAAA will become famous soon enoughAAAAAAA will become famous soon enoughAAAAAAA will become famous soon enoughAAAAAAA will become famous soon enoughAAAAAAA will become famous soon enoughAAAAAAA will become famous soon enough

Forget treadmill.

Elliptical is better IMO. Less impact, works out your arms, if you do it in reverse you can get more of the back of your leg to work out. And there is resistance so real world activitys become easier to do.

When you do treadmill you only get better at doing treadmill as it doesn't simulate walking or running well.. but you do get all of the downfalls or running and that is joint pressure.
AAAAAAA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-05-2011   #12
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 136 SoundChaser is a jewel in the roughSoundChaser is a jewel in the roughSoundChaser is a jewel in the roughSoundChaser is a jewel in the roughSoundChaser is a jewel in the roughSoundChaser is a jewel in the roughSoundChaser is a jewel in the roughSoundChaser is a jewel in the roughSoundChaser is a jewel in the roughSoundChaser is a jewel in the roughSoundChaser is a jewel in the rough

I second the notion for physical therapy. I would not trust personal trainers, especially in your condition. I overhear a lot of personal trainers at my gym giving out bad advise.

Tai Chi can be done by just about anyone in any condition. I would recommend Yang style because there are no exerting fast movements. Stationary or freestyle push hands should be avoided, unless you and your partner take it easy.

Yoga may also be of benefit to you.

Cosmic Vibration
SoundChaser is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-06-2011   #13
Upgrade Your Membership!

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 305 subwoofery has a reputation beyond reputesubwoofery has a reputation beyond reputesubwoofery has a reputation beyond reputesubwoofery has a reputation beyond reputesubwoofery has a reputation beyond reputesubwoofery has a reputation beyond reputesubwoofery has a reputation beyond reputesubwoofery has a reputation beyond reputesubwoofery has a reputation beyond reputesubwoofery has a reputation beyond reputesubwoofery has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by underdog View Post
I agree with water.

Walking is the next best.
Try speeding up your pace. Also pump your arms.
You can get ankle and wrist weights to wear also.
Walking, YES... Ankle weights, NO - very bad for your back and spine.

I also second the indoor pool.

Kelvin

Lycan
Quote:
I'll repeat it for the miliionth time : All amps do NOT sound the same ... It's astonishing to me that nobody understands this
Who knows, some might understand now
and here's another one and another <-- click on the links
subwoofery is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-06-2011   #14
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 155 USS Enterprise will become famous soon enoughUSS Enterprise will become famous soon enoughUSS Enterprise will become famous soon enoughUSS Enterprise will become famous soon enoughUSS Enterprise will become famous soon enoughUSS Enterprise will become famous soon enough

I like the elliptical idea. I researched them a bit, and they sem lik they give a good workout that can be done on all levels, very easy, to full out crazy.
Plus, they're cheap. I had no idea. I'm gonna have to pick one up.

My insurance sucks, or I would have already used it for this. My Doc just says do what I feel I can do, but don't push it.
USS Enterprise is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement