is there any point in buying a water heater with 9yr or 12yr warranty? - Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-14-2012   #1
JAX
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 306 JAX has a reputation beyond reputeJAX has a reputation beyond reputeJAX has a reputation beyond reputeJAX has a reputation beyond reputeJAX has a reputation beyond reputeJAX has a reputation beyond reputeJAX has a reputation beyond reputeJAX has a reputation beyond reputeJAX has a reputation beyond reputeJAX has a reputation beyond reputeJAX has a reputation beyond repute

Default is there any point in buying a water heater with 9yr or 12yr warranty?

Been trying to figure out the best way to do this. I have read tons of people complain about their 12yr water heater failing after 2 or 3 and company not honoring the warranty.

so far the ones I have looked at are about the same build and have plastic pieces instead of brass like the current one that works but it clogged for unknown reasons.

I am going to install it myself.

so is there any point in paying more if its not going to ever make it through the warranty lifespan?

from what I have been reading, old tanks were much better than the crap out these days.

I am leaning towars a 6yr tank and just keep upkeep on it. unlike the current one which I never flushed..lol
JAX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-14-2012   #2
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 96 rodburner will become famous soon enoughrodburner will become famous soon enoughrodburner will become famous soon enoughrodburner will become famous soon enoughrodburner will become famous soon enoughrodburner will become famous soon enough

Default Re: is there any point in buying a water heater with 9yr or 12yr warranty?

Really,the only time "upkeep" is performed on a AWH is when it fails.lol
You're right about old ones being built to last,but the new ones are a lot more efficient. If you run a gas tank and never let the pilot go out,it would last decades. If it's electric,the heating elements or thermostat usually make it 8-10 years,but depending on the tank itself,might rust out in 5-6 years. I'm using a tankless,gas unit now,and after getting used to it's idiosyncrasies,ie,first faucet from the unit gets the hot water,I'll never go back,cuz nothin says nubbin like an endlessly long hot shower..
rodburner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-14-2012   #3
JAX
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 306 JAX has a reputation beyond reputeJAX has a reputation beyond reputeJAX has a reputation beyond reputeJAX has a reputation beyond reputeJAX has a reputation beyond reputeJAX has a reputation beyond reputeJAX has a reputation beyond reputeJAX has a reputation beyond reputeJAX has a reputation beyond reputeJAX has a reputation beyond reputeJAX has a reputation beyond repute

Default Re: is there any point in buying a water heater with 9yr or 12yr warranty?

I was looking at the Rheem tanks but I read a few pages the other night about how people had purchased the 9 or 12 yr tanks and 3yrs or less in they had failures and had to pay plumbers to come and replace parts and warranty didnt cover the issues.

also said customer service sucked.

so I am trying to find out if there is any real sense in spending the extra if the tank is never going to make it that long or if I am going to have to spend 1/3 the value on unexpected repairs just to keep it running.

I was really dissapointed to read of so many complaints on what was the once top rated tank.

when I say upkeep I am just talking about flushing out the tank. something really simple but I had never heard of it till mine started acting up.

looking at what is out there now, none of them even look as well made as the current 6yr tank that I am replacing.

more plastic, cheaper controls. ugh.
Old 02-14-2012   #4
DIYMA 500 Club

12V Company:
Swanson's Performance
Position:
Owner

Rep Power: 104 Swanson's Performance is on a distinguished roadSwanson's Performance is on a distinguished roadSwanson's Performance is on a distinguished roadSwanson's Performance is on a distinguished roadSwanson's Performance is on a distinguished road

Buy a Bosch tankless water heater. Mine has a 15 year warranty. Saves money from not burning the pilot and cycling constantly to maintain 40-80 gallons of water hot all the time, and heats only what is necessary.

Bosch's current top residential heater can supply 225,000 BTUs, is up to 98% efficient, and can supply a 35* rise at 12.1 GPM. If you have higher needs and/or want more capacity, you can either split the supply to the house and do kitchen/laundry on one circuit and bathrooms on another, or parallel them for increased capacity.

Residential Bosch Gas Tankless Water Heaters | Efficient Home Heating Products
Swanson's Performance is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-14-2012   #5
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

12V Company:
Ground Zero USA

Rep Power: 282 Scott@GZUSA has a reputation beyond reputeScott@GZUSA has a reputation beyond reputeScott@GZUSA has a reputation beyond reputeScott@GZUSA has a reputation beyond reputeScott@GZUSA has a reputation beyond reputeScott@GZUSA has a reputation beyond reputeScott@GZUSA has a reputation beyond reputeScott@GZUSA has a reputation beyond reputeScott@GZUSA has a reputation beyond reputeScott@GZUSA has a reputation beyond reputeScott@GZUSA has a reputation beyond repute

I agree, tank-less is the way to go nowadays. They do not cost much more, depending on what your water output will be. I will be hooking up a tank-less this summer for my mom to replace her 14 year old unit, I know she will love it.
Scott@GZUSA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-14-2012   #6
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 156 AudioBob will become famous soon enoughAudioBob will become famous soon enoughAudioBob will become famous soon enoughAudioBob will become famous soon enoughAudioBob will become famous soon enoughAudioBob will become famous soon enough

I would do the research to see if a tankless suits your needs and will meet your expectations. Being from the South, you don't have to heat the water as much as a Northerner does and that makes a significant difference to me. A tankless unit can only heat up the water a certain amount from the cold water supply.

I have read that the tankless units have improved a great deal since hitting the market, but I don't have much experience with them. Most of the residential sized hot water heaters that we use where I work are Manufactured by State and we have had good experience with them. There are only a few actual manufacturers of hot water heaters left.

It sounds to me like your dip tube is the problem. You should be able to have it repaired if that is the problem. Do you have really hard water where you live?

Lexus GS 350 AWD
Rockford Fosgate 3Sixty.3, PHD 6.1 Pro, JL 12w6v2, Audio System - Twister F4 380, JL Audio 500/1 Alpine 3513.
AudioBob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-14-2012   #7
JAX
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

how much do they run? I didnt want to fill in the info in order to get a quote for the Bosch at their website.

right now the budget is my concern as this was not an expected expense and I just bought tires the other day.

I dont have to do this right away as I still have hot water, I just dont have full pressure all the time.

I can install a regular tank heater myself. lol.

how many amps does a tankless pull? I have older electrical system in the house and I need to modernize my breaker panel. it still uses the old round fuses and not breakers. ouch
Old 02-14-2012   #8
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 945 chad has a reputation beyond reputechad has a reputation beyond reputechad has a reputation beyond reputechad has a reputation beyond reputechad has a reputation beyond reputechad has a reputation beyond reputechad has a reputation beyond reputechad has a reputation beyond reputechad has a reputation beyond reputechad has a reputation beyond reputechad has a reputation beyond repute

I'd go tankless but I'm electric, and I need to survey the load, those things are current hogs bad.

chad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-14-2012   #9
JAX
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

hard water? I really dont know if its really hard or not actually.

besides running a test how would I know? lol. my goodness. I got to become an expert just to change tanks..lol.
Old 02-14-2012   #10
JAX
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by chad View Post
I'd go tankless but I'm electric, and I need to survey the load, those things are current hogs bad.
I was looking at electric but the circuit that feeds my laundry room where the tank is already has as much on it as it can handle I "think"
Old 02-14-2012   #11
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 226 60ndown has a reputation beyond repute60ndown has a reputation beyond repute60ndown has a reputation beyond repute60ndown has a reputation beyond repute60ndown has a reputation beyond repute60ndown has a reputation beyond repute60ndown has a reputation beyond repute60ndown has a reputation beyond repute60ndown has a reputation beyond repute60ndown has a reputation beyond repute60ndown has a reputation beyond repute

tankless systems can leave you with very low pressure (because modern valves balance the system to the right temperature) not enough heat and the valve slows things down.

id get (and did recently) a basic HW tank with no warranty, probably last you 3 years, for $350 thats pennies per day..

Sears: Online department store featuring appliances, tools, fitness equipment and more

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victor_inox View Post
bad contacts- main source of miracles in electricity.
60ndown is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-14-2012   #12
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 156 AudioBob will become famous soon enoughAudioBob will become famous soon enoughAudioBob will become famous soon enoughAudioBob will become famous soon enoughAudioBob will become famous soon enoughAudioBob will become famous soon enough

You can have your water tested to see how many grains hard it is. Really hard water is hard on plumbing, especially electric hot water heaters. If your water comes from a well, odds are that it is somewhat hard. I have zero experience with tankless electric hot water heaters. I have natural gas and my hot water heater was installed when the house was built nearly 15 years ago. I try to drain it and flush it one time per year. It is even more important to do this one time per year on an electric unit.

Lexus GS 350 AWD
Rockford Fosgate 3Sixty.3, PHD 6.1 Pro, JL 12w6v2, Audio System - Twister F4 380, JL Audio 500/1 Alpine 3513.
AudioBob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-14-2012   #13
JAX
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

I think its a blockage on the cold water inlet. my neighbor's dad is a pro plumber and he told me what to check/do . so I think I will fix the problem this weekend.

some kind of valve in the cold water inlet side of the tank that is stuck.

my original plumber didnt specify cold or hot so I had been messing only with the hot water outlet when it is actually a cold water inlet issue.

makes sense after he discussed it with me

thanks. will update over the weekend
Old 02-14-2012   #14
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 945 chad has a reputation beyond reputechad has a reputation beyond reputechad has a reputation beyond reputechad has a reputation beyond reputechad has a reputation beyond reputechad has a reputation beyond reputechad has a reputation beyond reputechad has a reputation beyond reputechad has a reputation beyond reputechad has a reputation beyond reputechad has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by 60ndown View Post
tankless systems can leave you with very low pressure (because modern valves balance the system to the right temperature) not enough heat and the valve slows things down.
I refuse to use that shit, I also refuse to use a valve that just cranks the water on and just lets it rip only to adjust temp. A lot of times I dial it back to save water (well/septic user.)

chad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-14-2012   #15
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 104 atxtrd will become famous soon enoughatxtrd will become famous soon enoughatxtrd will become famous soon enoughatxtrd will become famous soon enoughatxtrd will become famous soon enoughatxtrd will become famous soon enough

The main problem with most tanks is people fail to drain them annually. Deposits, mostly calcium, build up in the tank and cause problems. We have a 50 gal on LP gas I got at Lowe's 10 years ago and it is still doing it's job. Be sure the heater has plenty of airflow around it so the burners operate properly and are not starved for air.
atxtrd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-14-2012   #16
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 132 danno14 will become famous soon enoughdanno14 will become famous soon enoughdanno14 will become famous soon enoughdanno14 will become famous soon enoughdanno14 will become famous soon enoughdanno14 will become famous soon enough

Jax- I pm'ed you my number.... call me

Courtesy of Chad:
Prepare to have your brain melted and read enough audiophile jibberish to want to freebase a baby duckling.
danno14 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-14-2012   #17
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 146 eviling is a jewel in the rougheviling is a jewel in the rougheviling is a jewel in the rougheviling is a jewel in the rougheviling is a jewel in the rougheviling is a jewel in the rougheviling is a jewel in the rougheviling is a jewel in the rougheviling is a jewel in the rougheviling is a jewel in the rougheviling is a jewel in the rough

have you looked into the none tank versions that run on gass and heat water as it passes? very very efficiant, and much easier to work on should their be issues.

http://desmond.imageshack.us/Himg708/scaled.php?server=708&filename=89483214.jpg&res=me  dium
ZED audio, Hybrid Audio, FI audio, M-Audio, Custom carputer
Quote:
Originally Posted by DIYMA View Post
PS. Tell your boss to stop sending me pictures of his cock.
eviling is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-14-2012   #18
DIYMA 500 Club

12V Company:
Swanson's Performance
Position:
Owner

Rep Power: 104 Swanson's Performance is on a distinguished roadSwanson's Performance is on a distinguished roadSwanson's Performance is on a distinguished roadSwanson's Performance is on a distinguished roadSwanson's Performance is on a distinguished road

Welcome to the party eviling! This was only discussed, oh.... say 5 hours ago!

Still working on turning your gaming computer into a small space heater? Maybe you can use a water-to-water heat exchanger and connect your desktop's water cooling to your home water heater and pick up some free hot water for coffee or something!
Swanson's Performance is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-15-2012   #19
JAX
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by danno14 View Post
Jax- I pm'ed you my number.... call me
I got it. I was in and out last night visiting the neighbors.

I am going to check it out this weekend or tonight maybe heck.
Old 02-15-2012   #20
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 116 mayhem will become famous soon enoughmayhem will become famous soon enoughmayhem will become famous soon enoughmayhem will become famous soon enoughmayhem will become famous soon enoughmayhem will become famous soon enough

My brother can attest to one huge efficiency flaw to the tankless hot water heaters. They never run out of hot water so people tend to stay in the shower longer...if you have teenage girls in the house consider this carefully. He replaced his gas 50 gallon tank about 10 years ago and saw a measurable and sustained increase in his fuel consumption.

Regarding warranty being worth it, yes, absolutely its worth it. But read the fine print...typically the warranty only covers the unit if it fails in a particular manner. The coils, electrodes and what have you are usually not covered or are a very short warranty while the thermal tank itself is whats actually covered by the warranty.

I've been a homeowner since the late 90's myself...hot water heaters are just about the most trouble free thing in any house I've had. Never had one give me a bit of trouble.

No replacement for displacement.
mayhem is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-15-2012   #21
JAX
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Been in the house since 97. Anyhow my neighbors dad is a plumber. He told me not to waste my time getting more expensive unit.

But if I do need one he will get me a good one at his cost.

We will see
Old 02-15-2012   #22
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 115 07azhhr will become famous soon enough07azhhr will become famous soon enough07azhhr will become famous soon enough07azhhr will become famous soon enough07azhhr will become famous soon enough07azhhr will become famous soon enough07azhhr will become famous soon enough

I prefer 50g tanked water heaters. I haven't tried a tankless but the fact that it has to intantly and rapidly heat the water as it passes by it would make me think that it will uses a ton of energy when heating up the water. If you use a lot of water this can add up fast. It just seems similar to my AC unit. I did the different temp settings thing for day vs night and what I ended up seeing was that the AC unit pulled a lot more watts to raise the temp or lower the temp as it does to maintain a given temp. This also fallows suit with driving. Rapid accel burns fuel fast while steady maintained single speed over the long haul will conserve fuel. Like I said though, I have never used a tankless to know one way or the other.
07azhhr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-15-2012   #23
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 175 TrickyRicky is a splendid one to beholdTrickyRicky is a splendid one to beholdTrickyRicky is a splendid one to beholdTrickyRicky is a splendid one to beholdTrickyRicky is a splendid one to beholdTrickyRicky is a splendid one to beholdTrickyRicky is a splendid one to beholdTrickyRicky is a splendid one to beholdTrickyRicky is a splendid one to beholdTrickyRicky is a splendid one to beholdTrickyRicky is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07azhhr View Post
I prefer 50g tanked water heaters. I haven't tried a tankless but the fact that it has to intantly and rapidly heat the water as it passes by it would make me think that it will uses a ton of energy when heating up the water. If you use a lot of water this can add up fast.
The new heaters are more efficient and save $$$ in the long run compared to a 30-50gallon heater.

Its the inside that matters, the new "instant" heaters have over 30sq ft heating surface while the old ones have about 12sq ft of heating surface. BIG difference if you ask me. If 12sq can heat up 30plus gallons can you imagine what 30sq can do without a tank? INSTANT HOT WATER AND NO MORE RUNNING OUT OF HOT WATER, sorry for yelling lol.

Oh and not to mention the new heaters are space savers.

We are caged by our cultural programming. Culture is a mass hallucination, and when you step outside the mass hallucination you see it for what its worth. -Terence McKenna.
TrickyRicky is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-15-2012   #24
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

12V Company:
Ground Zero USA

Rep Power: 282 Scott@GZUSA has a reputation beyond reputeScott@GZUSA has a reputation beyond reputeScott@GZUSA has a reputation beyond reputeScott@GZUSA has a reputation beyond reputeScott@GZUSA has a reputation beyond reputeScott@GZUSA has a reputation beyond reputeScott@GZUSA has a reputation beyond reputeScott@GZUSA has a reputation beyond reputeScott@GZUSA has a reputation beyond reputeScott@GZUSA has a reputation beyond reputeScott@GZUSA has a reputation beyond repute

Here is some good info on tank-less heaters. Whats interesting is you can get a $300 tax rebate for them since they are "green" compared to the wasteful tank heaters.

HowStuffWorks "How Tankless Water Heaters Work"
Scott@GZUSA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-15-2012   #25
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 146 eviling is a jewel in the rougheviling is a jewel in the rougheviling is a jewel in the rougheviling is a jewel in the rougheviling is a jewel in the rougheviling is a jewel in the rougheviling is a jewel in the rougheviling is a jewel in the rougheviling is a jewel in the rougheviling is a jewel in the rougheviling is a jewel in the rough

i work construction, i see them allot in restraunts, just did a pizza hut last week they had one in the utility closit, took up such little space they had 2 boxes mounted on the wall with some gas pipes.

not entirely sure what that random flaming was for swanson, but i hope you it made you feel better

http://desmond.imageshack.us/Himg708/scaled.php?server=708&filename=89483214.jpg&res=me  dium
ZED audio, Hybrid Audio, FI audio, M-Audio, Custom carputer
Quote:
Originally Posted by DIYMA View Post
PS. Tell your boss to stop sending me pictures of his cock.
eviling is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement