My car might be totaled, so i may be getting a new - Page 4 - Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-06-2008   #76

Rep Power: 156 Foglght will become famous soon enoughFoglght will become famous soon enoughFoglght will become famous soon enoughFoglght will become famous soon enoughFoglght will become famous soon enoughFoglght will become famous soon enough

Default Re: My car might be totaled, so i may be getting a new

Quote:
Originally Posted by azngotskills View Post
LOL thanks for the input guys....im going to try to see if i can get used. I will have to wait and see in the next few days to see if the car is really totalled out and how much i will be getting if thats the case. Then i will have a definite budget to work out. Im looking into Infinity G35, Audi A4, BMW 3 series, Acura TL, and whatever falls around $25K but used haha....but new would be Accord, Altima, and Camry. Thanks again and i will be back for more opinions
2002-2003 Nissan Maxima, manual trans. Can be had for between 12-16k depending on miles. GREAT CAR!
Foglght is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-06-2008   #77
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 189 Infinity will become famous soon enoughInfinity will become famous soon enoughInfinity will become famous soon enoughInfinity will become famous soon enoughInfinity will become famous soon enoughInfinity will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by quality_sound View Post
I would disagree having owned 5 personally and had another 5 in the family. It's ALL about taking care of it.
Agree with you. Mine is a 2001 (but with only 55000 miles), owned since new, and the only thing we do is maintenance as scheduled, and change tires. I'm on my 5th full set of tires on this thing. I swear, my wife must get out and throw things in front of it to run over. I also have the VR6, so I don't know if it makes a difference.

I gots no stereo for now......
Infinity is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-06-2008   #78
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 94 bassfromspace will become famous soon enoughbassfromspace will become famous soon enoughbassfromspace will become famous soon enoughbassfromspace will become famous soon enoughbassfromspace will become famous soon enoughbassfromspace will become famous soon enoughbassfromspace will become famous soon enoughbassfromspace will become famous soon enoughbassfromspace will become famous soon enoughbassfromspace will become famous soon enoughbassfromspace will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadillac3 View Post
That is exactly what you should not do!!!!! That is what has gotten American in so damn much debt, and any half-ass financial advisor would say it an awful way to go about buying a depreciating asset like a car.

Look at only the bottom line: total price of the car, and in my mind look at the total cost of ownership if you're going to be smart. It took me a long time to truly get to that point.

Edit: I should that obviously if you're going to have a payment, you have to be able to afford it, but when you start looking at monthly amounts only it's easy to fall into the trap of financing a car for 72 or even 84 months at too high of an interest rate.

In addition, when y'all are talking used, many of the cars y'all have Mark looking at are going to need to be 3-4 years old to get a good deal as they all retain value very, very well. A 1 year old TL isn't exactly a deal, plus you're going to pay a higher interest rate on the used car. And it's possible the manufacturer may be offering some sort of special rate, and overall that can help make the new car a better deal than most would expect.

Now, a G35 is probably a good one to look at used since it seems to depreciate like a Nissan. It doesn't help the G35 is the luxury car of choice of the car rental companies, so if you do go to buy used, make sure you do Carfax, Mark. I'd say about 1/3 of the used G35s I did the Carfax on were rentals.
I'm definately not saying that he shouldn't worry about the total cost of the car. I'm giving him practical advice as to avoid the dealerships trap of focusing on the monthly payment while they play around with the interest and loan length to maximize their profit. Car salesmen are taught to focus on the monthly payments because it benefits there pocket.

This is another reason why I advised him to contact his local C.U. or bank before hitting the dealership. Nothing like knowing the numbers up front which cuts down on ALOT of b.s. at the dealership.

In terms of total cost of ownership, I'm assuming that would be part of the research process that he's conducting currently.

Good Info

AZ,

Contact Capital One or another independent lender, A C.U., and a bank that you or your parents do business at for loans. Don't be afraid to negotiate the terms on the loan. Money is cheap to borrow these days and they WANT to loan you money so the ball is in your court.

Another thing, get a car YOU want. Nothing like buying a car and paying a car note on a vehicle you hate.
bassfromspace is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-06-2008   #79
DIYMA 500 Club

12V Company:
RSR Audio
Position:
Analyst

Rep Power: 184 OldOneEye will become famous soon enoughOldOneEye will become famous soon enoughOldOneEye will become famous soon enoughOldOneEye will become famous soon enoughOldOneEye will become famous soon enoughOldOneEye will become famous soon enough

Send a message via ICQ to OldOneEye Send a message via AIM to OldOneEye

Quote:

In addition, when y'all are talking used, many of the cars y'all have Mark looking at are going to need to be 3-4 years old to get a good deal as they all retain value very, very well. A 1 year old TL isn't exactly a deal, plus you're going to pay a higher interest rate on the used car. And it's possible the manufacturer may be offering some sort of special rate, and overall that can help make the new car a better deal than most would expect.

Now, a G35 is probably a good one to look at used since it seems to depreciate like a Nissan. It doesn't help the G35 is the luxury car of choice of the car rental companies, so if you do go to buy used, make sure you do Carfax, Mark. I'd say about 1/3 of the used G35s I did the Carfax on were rentals.
Cars typically don't depreciate in a linear fashion. You usually take a hit right off the lot.

Another set of cars I would look at is anything that is coming off lease. Lexus and Infiniti seem to do this quite a bit (do a search on Ebay for some of the models you are looking for... if you see a ton of them in Florida and Texas coming off lease, you can probably get a deal.

Juan

2005 Subaru Legacy GT Wagon
Pioneer DEH-PRS80
JL Audio Stealthbox
Boston Acoustics GT-2125 X 3
Polk Audio SR6500
OldOneEye is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-06-2008   #80
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 151 mikey will become famous soon enoughmikey will become famous soon enoughmikey will become famous soon enoughmikey will become famous soon enoughmikey will become famous soon enoughmikey will become famous soon enough

Quote:
That is exactly what you should not do!!!!! That is what has gotten American in so damn much debt, and any half-ass financial advisor would say it an awful way to go about buying a depreciating asset like a car.

Look at only the bottom line: total price of the car, and in my mind look at the total cost of ownership if you're going to be smart. It took me a long time to truly get to that point.

Edit: I should that obviously if you're going to have a payment, you have to be able to afford it, but when you start looking at monthly amounts only it's easy to fall into the trap of financing a car for 72 or even 84 months at too high of an interest rate.
YES. YES. YES. YES. YES.

Listen to this guy.
mikey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-06-2008   #81
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 169 MadMaxSE-L will become famous soon enoughMadMaxSE-L will become famous soon enoughMadMaxSE-L will become famous soon enoughMadMaxSE-L will become famous soon enoughMadMaxSE-L will become famous soon enoughMadMaxSE-L will become famous soon enough

Send a message via Yahoo to MadMaxSE-L

Quote:
Thanks for the comments clbolt How do Acuras stack up? Looking at an Acura TL, but i might be getting a little ahead of myself but it doesnt hurt to ask...

Also maybe going with automatic for practicality traffic wise. After more talking it seems like things have changed which might have opened some doors. It might be possible to get a better car and extend the budget if i take part in the payments

Now the NEW short list

2008 Honda Accord
2008 Nissan Altima
2008 Toyota Camry
2008 Acura TL
2008 Infinity G35

I know the car varies and i dont different options come into play (ie highly optioned Altima vs base G35) But these are basically the brands that im limited to and the possibly budget they may fall under. Just looking for more guidance
Well, I like this list much better . G35 comes out on top, then the TL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiterabbit View Post
Thank you matt. I had real trouble trying to define an opinion about something I've heard in political debate, and I think you paraphrased it so perfectly, and I never, ever would have come up with it on my own.

I think what I've quoted above is the PERFECT paraphrase to something my wife says:

"I am pro choice but I would NEVER get an abortion. Just because it's not something I am willing to do with my life doesnt mean I dont think another woman should be denied the ability to choose what she wants to do with her body. It's just that I would never get an abortion."

Felt like I was reading the exact same statement. And I;ve been searching for a good way to paraphrase her statement. Thanks,
Pretty damn philosophical for a 21yr old kid, huh

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey View Post
Lexus IS300?

(You'll have to look at preowned)
A new IS should be cheaper than a new TL or G35. They look cool and are pretty quick, from what I've heard they are pretty reliable. I have a friend who has one and it's a nice car...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassfromspace View Post
$7k is a ton of money to work with on a D.P. Keep that in your pocket.

Now, the only thing you'll need the dealership for is the car. They won't need to pull your credit or anything else of that nature.

Get your pre-approval and work out the numbers with the loan officer outside of a fast paced car dealership. Then, talk to the loan person about dealerships they deal with on a regular basis. This benefits you in two ways. The relationship between the two are already established so that's less B.S. for you on the back end and they'll know who to fax the information to once you've settle on a price for the car. Also, let the loan officer know what car you're looking at so they can pull all the numbers for that car in that area. Also let him know that you have a D.P., if necessary, to augment the loan to get the desired car.

Once you know what car you want and have a dealership in mind, go and talk price. TELL THEM what car you want and at what price. If you took care of the stuff I mentioned earlier, you may even be able to skip this step and just go and sign for the car. Don't play the price game and don't be afraid to walk away from the dealership. Houston has a ton of 'em and you have money (or loan information) in your pocket.

I think that's about it.
Listen to the man, he speaks troof...

Quote:
LOL thanks for the input guys....im going to try to see if i can get used. I will have to wait and see in the next few days to see if the car is really totalled out and how much i will be getting if thats the case. Then i will have a definite budget to work out. Im looking into Infinity G35, Audi A4, BMW 3 series, Acura TL, and whatever falls around $25K but used haha....but new would be Accord, Altima, and Camry. Thanks again and i will be back for more opinions
Switching it up now, eh? Stay away from the Bimmer - unless you have a spare savings account to pay for something when it goes wrong The Audi is just a dressed up V-dub, and the G35 and the TL are still good choices...

Quote:

I am in agreement here with most of this, with the exception of the 1ys old car thing; a 1yr old car that has not been owned yet is going to be your BEST option here. You still get the low interest rate, you still get the warranty and the good deals because they dealer is trying to get the car outta their lot.

But I'd certainly stay very, very far away from a rental car...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foglght View Post
2002-2003 Nissan Maxima, manual trans. Can be had for between 12-16k depending on miles. GREAT CAR!
IMHO this is the best option mentioned so far, but I may be biased as this is what I'm currently looking for. These things are reliable, and even if you got one with 100k(not that I'd recommend that...), it will last another 100/200k at least. And since you say used is acceptable now, this is your best option so far, if you like the car that is...

No room for audio on my Gixxer
MadMaxSE-L is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-06-2008   #82

Bikinpunk

Thanked 1,348 Times in 613 Posts
Rep Power: 26021 ErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond repute

Send a message via AIM to ErinH

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMaxSE-L View Post

I am in agreement here with most of this, with the exception of the 1ys old car thing; a 1yr old car that has not been owned yet is going to be your BEST option here. You still get the low interest rate, you still get the warranty and the good deals because they dealer is trying to get the car outta their lot.

I agree completely. Stay very far away from rentals. There are a lot of hidden fees (well, maybe not so hidden if you do a bit of research) that will seriously hurt you financially if you don't abide by the restrictions put on leased cars.

Edit: Sorry, when I say "rentals" (bold) I meant leased vehicles, as I thought that's what we were talking about. In that case, STAY AWAY AWAY AWAY from rentals. Seriously. No, seriously!

Time Delay Calculator:
http://tracerite.com/calc.html

Last edited by ErinH; 02-06-2008 at 12:48 PM..
ErinH is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-06-2008   #83
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 169 MadMaxSE-L will become famous soon enoughMadMaxSE-L will become famous soon enoughMadMaxSE-L will become famous soon enoughMadMaxSE-L will become famous soon enoughMadMaxSE-L will become famous soon enoughMadMaxSE-L will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikinpunk View Post
I agree completely. Stay very far away from rentals. There are a lot of hidden fees (well, maybe not so hidden if you do a bit of research) that will seriously hurt you financially if you don't abide by the restrictions put on leased cars.
Plus they've had the shit ran out of them...

Old 02-06-2008   #84

Rep Power: 174 chadillac3 will become famous soon enoughchadillac3 will become famous soon enoughchadillac3 will become famous soon enoughchadillac3 will become famous soon enoughchadillac3 will become famous soon enoughchadillac3 will become famous soon enough

Send a message via AIM to chadillac3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMaxSE-L View Post

I was talking about 1 year old used, not a leftover from the previous model year.
chadillac3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-06-2008   #85
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 150 DejaWiz will become famous soon enoughDejaWiz will become famous soon enoughDejaWiz will become famous soon enoughDejaWiz will become famous soon enoughDejaWiz will become famous soon enoughDejaWiz will become famous soon enough

Test drove a Mazda3, unimpressed with the fit, finish, and lacking ride quality.

Madza6 was a bit better, but the interior seemed like the same cheapness.

Wife has an '05 Altima, very comfortable ride, interior is okay, nice standard features on the S model. New 08's with the CVT get nice gas mileage.

Check out the Versa... just got one myself.

2011 Kia Optima EX
Factory HU | Blaupunkt Vc660 | Infinity Kappa 800w Infinite Baffle | Soundstream TN4.900D
DejaWiz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-06-2008   #86
DIYMA 500 Club

Quote:
I was talking about 1 year old used, not a leftover from the previous model year.
I know you were - that's why I said I agreed with all that you posted BUT this. IMHO if he could find a NEW version of last years mosel on dealer lot, that would be the best compromise for him; he can still have hie NEW car that he origionally HAD to have, and he could get a good deal on it since the dealer wants it off his lot...

Not that the 1yr old used thing is a bad option now that he switched it up and said used is ok

-Matt

Old 02-06-2008   #87
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 161 BlueAc will become famous soon enoughBlueAc will become famous soon enoughBlueAc will become famous soon enoughBlueAc will become famous soon enoughBlueAc will become famous soon enoughBlueAc will become famous soon enough

If your looking for a TL then this is pretty good time to get one. The 09's(4th gen) are coming out soon, which means the 04-08's (3rd gen) should be taking a hit soon. You can always try and use that as a bargaining method.

2007 Chevy Tahoe Z71- Pioneer AVH-W4400NEX / Helix DSP.2 / Focal ES 165K2 / Morel Maximo 6 / JL Audio 12w6v3 / Arc Audio 1100.5 (highs/rear/sub) / Arc Audio KS300.2 (mids)
BlueAc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-06-2008   #88

Rep Power: 174 chadillac3 will become famous soon enoughchadillac3 will become famous soon enoughchadillac3 will become famous soon enoughchadillac3 will become famous soon enoughchadillac3 will become famous soon enoughchadillac3 will become famous soon enough

Send a message via AIM to chadillac3

Mark, go drive the cars and see what you like. We all have our preferences, and you could keep changing your list every 2 min.

Last edited by chadillac3; 02-06-2008 at 01:34 PM..
chadillac3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-06-2008   #89

Rep Power: 156 Foglght will become famous soon enoughFoglght will become famous soon enoughFoglght will become famous soon enoughFoglght will become famous soon enoughFoglght will become famous soon enoughFoglght will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by DejaWiz View Post
Test drove a Mazda3, unimpressed with the fit, finish, and lacking ride quality.

Madza6 was a bit better, but the interior seemed like the same cheapness.

Wife has an '05 Altima, very comfortable ride, interior is okay, nice standard features on the S model. New 08's with the CVT get nice gas mileage.

Check out the Versa... just got one myself.
'07 Altima 3.5SE here, 22 city/29 highway on the sticker. I see combined average with 50/50 driving at 24mpg, and about 400-430 miles per tank. And that's with the 270hp VQ motor!
Foglght is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-06-2008   #90
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 150 DejaWiz will become famous soon enoughDejaWiz will become famous soon enoughDejaWiz will become famous soon enoughDejaWiz will become famous soon enoughDejaWiz will become famous soon enoughDejaWiz will become famous soon enough

Quote:
'07 Altima 3.5SE here, 22 city/29 highway on the sticker. I see combined average with 50/50 driving at 24mpg, and about 400-430 miles per tank. And that's with the 270hp VQ motor!
Is nice!

/Borat

When I was in finishing up the purchase of my Versa this past Monday, I took a peek at the window sticker of a 2.5S Altima Coupe with the CVT. Rated at 23/31 mpg (new 2008 standards). Very nice compared to my wife's '05 2.5S rated at 21/27. For comparisons (bragging) sake, my Versa is rated at 27/33.

2011 Kia Optima EX
Factory HU | Blaupunkt Vc660 | Infinity Kappa 800w Infinite Baffle | Soundstream TN4.900D
DejaWiz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-06-2008   #91
DIYMA 500 Club

Quote:
These are badass, I raced one in my 79' Bronco right after I put the first big block in it, and it almost kept up with me . They look cool, and the VQ35DE is a good motor, almost as much so as the VQ30DE...

-Matt

Old 02-06-2008   #92
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 182 dBassHz will become famous soon enoughdBassHz will become famous soon enoughdBassHz will become famous soon enoughdBassHz will become famous soon enoughdBassHz will become famous soon enoughdBassHz will become famous soon enough

Send a message via AIM to dBassHz

Mark, I'm sorry for your loss but glad to hear that your ok. I think it was time for an upgrade anyway. You are too mature for a celica!

I didn't read through all of the posts but the latest Car and Driver did a review on a bunch of mid-sized 4-cylinder cars and the winner was the 08 Accord EX followed closely by the Altima 2.5S. Personally, I would go with the Altima because it beat all of the other cars in terms of performance and I dig the new look.

OEM 2006 Avalon HU ~ OEM Amplifiers ~ Sundown.SAE1000D
Pioneer.C720PRS ~ AA.Ava.12
dBassHz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-06-2008   #93
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 362 azngotskills has a reputation beyond reputeazngotskills has a reputation beyond reputeazngotskills has a reputation beyond reputeazngotskills has a reputation beyond reputeazngotskills has a reputation beyond reputeazngotskills has a reputation beyond reputeazngotskills has a reputation beyond reputeazngotskills has a reputation beyond reputeazngotskills has a reputation beyond reputeazngotskills has a reputation beyond reputeazngotskills has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the comments and advice guys...I have stuck to new cars only since the parents are paying for it all

I went to the Toyota and test drove the Camry V6 and the 4cyl and its a world of difference. The V6 Camry is a nice and the kicker is that they have a NEW 2007 model (same body style as 08) for cheap, but not the color i want

Also went to Nissan and test drove the Altima 2.5, very impressed with the 4cyl engine. The interior wasnt too great and it seemed kinda cheap IMO but has many positives as well

Going to Honda tomorrow and maybe a few others...
azngotskills is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-06-2008   #94
DIYMA 500 Club

12V Company:
RSR Audio
Position:
Analyst

Rep Power: 184 OldOneEye will become famous soon enoughOldOneEye will become famous soon enoughOldOneEye will become famous soon enoughOldOneEye will become famous soon enoughOldOneEye will become famous soon enoughOldOneEye will become famous soon enough

Send a message via ICQ to OldOneEye Send a message via AIM to OldOneEye

Quote:
Thanks for the comments and advice guys...I have stuck to new cars only since the parents are paying for it all

I went to the Toyota and test drove the Camry V6 and the 4cyl and its a world of difference. The V6 Camry is a nice and the kicker is that they have a NEW 2007 model (same body style as 08) for cheap, but not the color i want

Also went to Nissan and test drove the Altima 2.5, very impressed with the 4cyl engine. The interior wasnt too great and it seemed kinda cheap IMO but has many positives as well

Going to Honda tomorrow and maybe a few others...
Yup, too bad they haven't figured that one out with Nissan. Like you get 10 - 15% better engines at the expense of the interior.

The Honda isn't bad, but hard to upgrade the stereo.

Juan

2005 Subaru Legacy GT Wagon
Pioneer DEH-PRS80
JL Audio Stealthbox
Boston Acoustics GT-2125 X 3
Polk Audio SR6500
OldOneEye is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-06-2008   #95
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 175 backwoods will become famous soon enoughbackwoods will become famous soon enoughbackwoods will become famous soon enoughbackwoods will become famous soon enoughbackwoods will become famous soon enoughbackwoods will become famous soon enough

didn't read the whole thread, but if you put your budget to ~23k, then the speed3 wins outright with really no competition.

At all..

I mentioned it to you, and spent the weekend and a big chunk of last week test driving cars.

Under 30k, there really isn't much competition for a great performance car with solid gas mileage (20/30) solid interior and tons of room. There's just nothing close.

Get out and drive one. If you are willing to go to 25k out the door, check out the speed 3 gt.

there IS that big of a difference between the cars. I'd take a speed 3 on a track against an evo or sti any day of the week and it will atleast be competitive.

Yes, it's that much of a performance car.

But, I was also able to fit 3 car seats in the rear as well.

"We tried so hard to create a society that was equal, where there'd be nothing to envy your neighbor..But there's always something to envy... Something you don't have and want to appropriate. In this world-even a Soviet one-
there will always be rich and poor..."
backwoods is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-06-2008   #96
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 362 azngotskills has a reputation beyond reputeazngotskills has a reputation beyond reputeazngotskills has a reputation beyond reputeazngotskills has a reputation beyond reputeazngotskills has a reputation beyond reputeazngotskills has a reputation beyond reputeazngotskills has a reputation beyond reputeazngotskills has a reputation beyond reputeazngotskills has a reputation beyond reputeazngotskills has a reputation beyond reputeazngotskills has a reputation beyond repute

Yea im going to check out Mazada tomorrow as well You were referring to the Mazdaspeed3 correct?

Last edited by azngotskills; 02-06-2008 at 07:07 PM..
azngotskills is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement