My car might be totaled, so i may be getting a new - Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-05-2008   #1
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 364 azngotskills has a reputation beyond reputeazngotskills has a reputation beyond reputeazngotskills has a reputation beyond reputeazngotskills has a reputation beyond reputeazngotskills has a reputation beyond reputeazngotskills has a reputation beyond reputeazngotskills has a reputation beyond reputeazngotskills has a reputation beyond reputeazngotskills has a reputation beyond reputeazngotskills has a reputation beyond reputeazngotskills has a reputation beyond repute

Default My car might be totaled, so i may be getting a new

Well i wrecked my car this weekend and to make the story short: it was rush hour Houston traffic, driving against the sun, momentary glare, braked too late and rear ended a PT Cruiser (please dont ask for pictures). It was my fault but luckily no one was hurt and i have full coverage insurance. Anyways total damage was estimated at ~$6K and my car is a 2000 Toyota Celica w/ 130K so, its up to the second adjuster to total the car. So, i might be in the market for a new car and seeing if i can get some opinions to rule out or brings some cars to the top of the list.

Budget is ~$20K for a NEW 4-door sedan (manual to keep price down). Honestly want to stay away from American cars, not that i dont like them im just not a fan (please dont debate about this in the thread, its personal preference choice). Reliability and ease of maintenance are huge concerns of mine because i plan to keep this car for a long time. Keep in mind that the cars will be priced out with or without options for around $20K

My short list consists of:

Honda Accord
Honda Civic
Mazda 3
Mazda 6
Nissan Altima
Mitsubishi Lancer
Toyota Camry
Volkswagen Jetta

I guess im just looking for opinions and insight regarding these cars and their performance as fit & finish are personal preference of course Feel free to offer other options as long as they fit the criteria and you would chose it Thanks ahead for the help in making narrowing my choices down
azngotskills is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-05-2008   #2
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 153 Dr.Telepathy SQ will become famous soon enoughDr.Telepathy SQ will become famous soon enoughDr.Telepathy SQ will become famous soon enoughDr.Telepathy SQ will become famous soon enoughDr.Telepathy SQ will become famous soon enoughDr.Telepathy SQ will become famous soon enough

Send a message via Yahoo to Dr.Telepathy SQ

Default Re: My car might be totaled, so i may be getting a new

I'm glad that you're okay?? I know that can be.

If you want my vote, I would look into the Mazda 6. They are offering some DEEP discounts on them right now and some nice rebates direct from Mazda.

Easy car to work on SQ wise. 5x7" in the front doors, deep, factory 9" opening on the rear deck for the Blowz Sub.

Plus, you can get a Mazda 6 "S" model with the V6 and manual for a very nice price right now. They are not selling. I'd say around 21K out the door for a sticker price of 27-28K loaded out.

Altima is night and day SE V6 vs. 4cyl. Plus the SE with the one option package with everying is like 4K-sticker close to 30K Way over price.

No real discounts on Hondas right now, but you couldn't go wrong with either one..Civic EX or Accord EX-

Camry is kinda boring vanilla- rental car like..no real sport to it for your price range

VW.....Jetta with the turbo 4 is real nice, but over your budget. The other models with the 5cyl are a little gruff and slow.

Mazda 3 is nice..discounts on them as well. Mazda 3 with the 5 door is nice and fits under your 20K budget.

Below $200 though, which these days doesn't seem to be much, I think you're still climbing toward the peak of the performance/value curve, and beyond $300 you're really on the downward portion of the curve for a car.-Npdang
Dr.Telepathy SQ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-05-2008   #3
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 178 LiquidClen will become famous soon enoughLiquidClen will become famous soon enoughLiquidClen will become famous soon enoughLiquidClen will become famous soon enoughLiquidClen will become famous soon enoughLiquidClen will become famous soon enough

Mazda 6 or Altima

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidnightCE View Post
your sig is a little out of date.
LiquidClen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-05-2008   #4
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 171 doitor will become famous soon enoughdoitor will become famous soon enoughdoitor will become famous soon enoughdoitor will become famous soon enoughdoitor will become famous soon enoughdoitor will become famous soon enough

Send a message via MSN to doitor

Honda Accord: very nice car, new model year.
Honda Civic: smaller, nice, 2-3 year old model.
Mazda 3: Had one of this. Nice car, eacy to work, a bit small.
Mazda 6: Big discount because the model is about to change.
Nissan Altima: New model, easy to work with, very nice acoustics.
Mitsubishi Lancer: No idea
Toyota Camry: My dad has one. Dead quiet, no need for deadening, the biggest one.
Volkswagen Jetta: all VW's seem to work great for a year or two, after that total nightmare.

If it were me the top 2 would be the Camry and the Altima, with the Altima taking first place, just by a nose.

MKV GTI - Sound system in progress....
doitor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-05-2008   #5
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 230 60ndown has a reputation beyond repute60ndown has a reputation beyond repute60ndown has a reputation beyond repute60ndown has a reputation beyond repute60ndown has a reputation beyond repute60ndown has a reputation beyond repute60ndown has a reputation beyond repute60ndown has a reputation beyond repute60ndown has a reputation beyond repute60ndown has a reputation beyond repute60ndown has a reputation beyond repute

ill never own a manual car again if i can help it,

auto tranny ftmfw.

if you cant find an auto whip for $20k there's something wrong.

after that any jap car, even vws are questionable now imo.

pick something boring to look at so thieves wont notice it and jack your bump.

bling = stolen.

who needs it?

id prolly look for something with 11,000 miles on it to save another $6k

6k buys lot of audio and a holiday and some booty.

new cars lose 15% as soon as your off the lot.

drive out in a 20k car, round the block back to dealership and only be able to sell it for 16k?,

1 block?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victor_inox View Post
bad contacts- main source of miracles in electricity.
60ndown is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-05-2008   #6
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 230 60ndown has a reputation beyond repute60ndown has a reputation beyond repute60ndown has a reputation beyond repute60ndown has a reputation beyond repute60ndown has a reputation beyond repute60ndown has a reputation beyond repute60ndown has a reputation beyond repute60ndown has a reputation beyond repute60ndown has a reputation beyond repute60ndown has a reputation beyond repute60ndown has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by doitor View Post
Honda Accord: very nice car, new model year.
Honda Civic: smaller, nice, 2-3 year old model.
Mazda 3: Had one of this. Nice car, eacy to work, a bit small.
Mazda 6: Big discount because the model is about to change.
Nissan Altima: New model, easy to work with, very nice acoustics.
Mitsubishi Lancer: No idea
Toyota Camry: My dad has one. Dead quiet, no need for deadening, the biggest one.
Volkswagen Jetta: all VW's seem to work great for a year or two, after that total nightmare.

If it were me the top 2 would be the Camry and the Altima, with the Altima taking first place, just by a nose.
thats what id also look for, dead quiet at 70 mph.

never need to deaden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victor_inox View Post
bad contacts- main source of miracles in electricity.
60ndown is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-05-2008   #7
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 197 Mless5 will become famous soon enoughMless5 will become famous soon enoughMless5 will become famous soon enoughMless5 will become famous soon enoughMless5 will become famous soon enoughMless5 will become famous soon enough

I'd go with Jetta.
Mless5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-05-2008   #8
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 267 quality_sound is just really nicequality_sound is just really nicequality_sound is just really nicequality_sound is just really nicequality_sound is just really nicequality_sound is just really nicequality_sound is just really nicequality_sound is just really nicequality_sound is just really nicequality_sound is just really nicequality_sound is just really nice

Getting into a Jetta for $20K is easy, they start at $17K. Even the Base S s going to come with more standard features than pretty much everything on your list. To get the 2.0T you have to get a GLI which is well out of your budget unless you go used.

The 2.5l motor is about as problem free as it gets and despite the naysayers, VWs can be very reliable IF you keep up with the maintenance. It's not an appliance like most Japanese cars. There is a level of owner involvement that must be remembered. If you are prepared for that VW ownership is very rewarding.

Also, N-O-T-H-I-N-G on your list has the fit and finish of ANY VW in production, period. You'd have to go back to a 94-early 99 and then VW might still have the edge. Some can knock their reliability (Not me, all 5 of mine have been problem free) but you can't beat the fit and finish. Also, they're quieter and will have less panel rattle and NHV. A liitle more difficult to take apart and reassemble, but once you learn the quirks it's not bad at all.

My 07 Civic was loud, didn't rattle TOO much, but the thing I hated the most was how easily everything scratched. An installers nightmare. It did however come apart VERY easily.

quality_sound is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-05-2008   #9
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 267 quality_sound is just really nicequality_sound is just really nicequality_sound is just really nicequality_sound is just really nicequality_sound is just really nicequality_sound is just really nicequality_sound is just really nicequality_sound is just really nicequality_sound is just really nicequality_sound is just really nicequality_sound is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by doitor View Post

I would disagree having owned 5 personally and had another 5 in the family. It's ALL about taking care of it.

quality_sound is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-05-2008   #10
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 171 MadMaxSE-L will become famous soon enoughMadMaxSE-L will become famous soon enoughMadMaxSE-L will become famous soon enoughMadMaxSE-L will become famous soon enoughMadMaxSE-L will become famous soon enoughMadMaxSE-L will become famous soon enough

Send a message via Yahoo to MadMaxSE-L

Quote:
Originally Posted by quality_sound View Post
Getting into a Jetta for $20K is easy, they start at $17K. Even the Base S s going to come with more standard features than pretty much everything on your list. To get the 2.0T you have to get a GLI which is well out of your budget unless you go used.

The 2.5l motor is about as problem free as it gets and despite the naysayers, VWs can be very reliable IF you keep up with the maintenance. It's not an appliance like most Japanese cars. There is a level of owner involvement that must be remembered. If you are prepared for that VW ownership is very rewarding.

Also, N-O-T-H-I-N-G on your list has the fit and finish of ANY VW in production, period. You'd have to go back to a 94-early 99 and then VW might still have the edge. Some can knock their reliability (Not me, all 5 of mine have been problem free) but you can't beat the fit and finish. Also, they're quieter and will have less panel rattle and NHV. A liitle more difficult to take apart and reassemble, but once you learn the quirks it's not bad at all.

My 07 Civic was loud, didn't rattle TOO much, but the thing I hated the most was how easily everything scratched. An installers nightmare. It did however come apart VERY easily.
Uh, no. Sorry dude, but my 97 maxima is 10 times the car that my g/f's 2000 Jetta VR6 is. My Max is a an SE, w/ manual tranny and cloth interior and 175k+ miles; her Jetta is loaded w/ auto, leather, heated seats, the v6 and only 75k miles and my car is STILL quieter, more refined, and requires less maintenance w/ well over twice the mileage as the V-dub. The leather in the Jetta looks cheap, the dash is made from some hard-foam like material that I flex with my hand, and there are more little problems with it than I have ever had from my 11 year old Nissan.

A new Altima would out-class a new Jetta in EVERY single aspect you could possibly judge the 2 cars in.

Quote:
I would disagree having owned 5 personally and had another 5 in the family. It's ALL about taking care of it.
That's the point - you have to keep up with it to make it last. Any idiot can own a Nissan and it will live for over 100k miles without issue. Browse the Maxima.org forums and see how many guys on there have Max's with over 300-400k miles on them and still run fine. Now go to the VWvortex.com forums and see how many are doing that, you won't find any. They won't make it to 100k without problems...

EDIT: I forgot to mention that the VW is going to cost more to maintain than the others. The Mazda's I'm not sure about, but they have never been known for their long-term reliability and I'm sure about maintainance cost for them. I wouldn't even look at the Toyota; they're quality cars don't get me wrong, but they jsut have no sport/class/appeal to me whatsoever. They are more of the Jap version of a Crown Vic...

-Matt

No room for audio on my Gixxer

Last edited by MadMaxSE-L; 02-05-2008 at 06:37 PM..
MadMaxSE-L is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-05-2008   #11
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 171 doitor will become famous soon enoughdoitor will become famous soon enoughdoitor will become famous soon enoughdoitor will become famous soon enoughdoitor will become famous soon enoughdoitor will become famous soon enough

Send a message via MSN to doitor

Quote:
I've only had 2 VW products, a 2001 Jetta and a 2006 Seat Ibiza.
Both worked great, and I loved how they feel. The fit and finish is also above average.
The Jetta has 2 years warranty in Mexico. When I had 2 years and 2 months with it the a/c compressor died on me.
The Ibiza has only 1 year warranty. At 1 year 2 months, the dash looked like a christmas tree. To make a long story short, the cars main computer died, and it was $1800 dlls to fix. I had a "nice" talk with the manager and he fixed for free.
Both cars had regular mantainance with closer intervals than recommended by VW.
I loved both cars, but I was afraid to go out of town with them.

MKV GTI - Sound system in progress....
doitor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-05-2008   #12

Rep Power: 158 Foglght will become famous soon enoughFoglght will become famous soon enoughFoglght will become famous soon enoughFoglght will become famous soon enoughFoglght will become famous soon enoughFoglght will become famous soon enough

I know you can pick up an Altima 2.5S with a 6-speed for under 20k.

Personally, I'd go used. As soon as we sell the wife's car, she is going to take my Altima, and I'm getting a used Subaru Legacy Wagon. Lots of modding potential, tons of room, very quick (low 14s in quarter) stock, and comfy.

Shit, I just looked up a new civic lx, with manual trans, 140hp engine, upgraded wheels, with some nice stuff for options, and it was 19,500msrp, with 30 city/40 highway. Nice looking car!

If you can swing the extra few bucks, look up the mazdaspeed 3. They msrp at 24k without the added options. I also remember about a year ago looking at lease prices on a Mazdaspeed 6, and they were practically giving them away at $300/month on a 0 down 39month lease.

And now I just looked at the Nissan site and they increased the price of the 2.5S to 20k starting. Still a good deal. Huge interior, 4-cyl is peppy.
Foglght is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-05-2008   #13
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 364 azngotskills has a reputation beyond reputeazngotskills has a reputation beyond reputeazngotskills has a reputation beyond reputeazngotskills has a reputation beyond reputeazngotskills has a reputation beyond reputeazngotskills has a reputation beyond reputeazngotskills has a reputation beyond reputeazngotskills has a reputation beyond reputeazngotskills has a reputation beyond reputeazngotskills has a reputation beyond reputeazngotskills has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the comments guys I know the benifets of buying used, but that not the route for me and neither is leasing. Like i said buying use/lease and buying american cars is not up for debate, personal reasons. Im keeping this car for the long run...Im not looking into really "modding" the car because i have been through that phase, just want a clean looking, comfortable daily driver....

Than being said I maintained my car very well and cant really had any problems. I know that one thing that will determine the life of the vehicle. The only problem was adding an intake and exhaust, things i wish i didnt do.

I like the little quirks not known about such as the comments made on the Volkswagon. Please keep the opinions coming...
Old 02-05-2008   #14

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 255 t3sn4f2 is a name known to allt3sn4f2 is a name known to allt3sn4f2 is a name known to allt3sn4f2 is a name known to allt3sn4f2 is a name known to allt3sn4f2 is a name known to allt3sn4f2 is a name known to allt3sn4f2 is a name known to allt3sn4f2 is a name known to allt3sn4f2 is a name known to allt3sn4f2 is a name known to all

4 door, 4 cylinder, Accord LX-P.
4 cylinder Camry LE
t3sn4f2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-05-2008   #15
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 171 MadMaxSE-L will become famous soon enoughMadMaxSE-L will become famous soon enoughMadMaxSE-L will become famous soon enoughMadMaxSE-L will become famous soon enoughMadMaxSE-L will become famous soon enoughMadMaxSE-L will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by t3sn4f2 View Post
4 cylinder Camry LE
No 4cyl. cars - they are slow as balls. Gotta have a v6

EDIT: You may not be looking for speed, but in my experience, the 4 cylinder engines are usually less refined and reliable then the 6 cylinder engines of the same make. At least for Nissan and VW, Mazda as well I believe.

-Matt

Old 02-05-2008   #16
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by t3sn4f2 View Post
4 cylinder Camry LE
Those were honestly my first choices, but just seeing what others though about other options. I know a test drive will quickly eliminate choices, this is just a little pre-buying survey and opinion thread
Old 02-05-2008   #17
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 178 coffee_junkee is a glorious beacon of lightcoffee_junkee is a glorious beacon of lightcoffee_junkee is a glorious beacon of lightcoffee_junkee is a glorious beacon of lightcoffee_junkee is a glorious beacon of lightcoffee_junkee is a glorious beacon of lightcoffee_junkee is a glorious beacon of lightcoffee_junkee is a glorious beacon of lightcoffee_junkee is a glorious beacon of lightcoffee_junkee is a glorious beacon of lightcoffee_junkee is a glorious beacon of light

If you can stand the stigma of driving a Kia, the Optima would be my choice over the Camry, Jetta, 6 and perhaps the Altima. Honestly, Kia has turned out some real turds in the pre Hyundai buyout, but the Optima is really a tough piece of work.

Main reasons the Op get's my vote: The interior makes the Camry, Altima and 6 seem like a last gen Stratus in tactile quality. Jetta is arguably better now, but in three years all the pretty low gloss painted plastics gain a lustre that gives the interior more of an "experienced" look. That's if it doesn't wear or chip off altogether. Altima, meh. Looks good drifting in the commercials, but drives just ok and the interior is decidedly low rent. Mazda 6 is on "fire sale" for a reason, the next one looks badass!

The Op can also be found pretty easily in a 5 speed transmission and they have tasty rebates/financiang offers right now. The GEMA 4 cylinder engine is a real smoothie and it's use beyond Hyundai/Kia will insure good parts availability if you drive it past the 100k warranty.

Camry is the LeSabre of the new millenium, don't ya know!
coffee_junkee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-05-2008   #18

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 181 durwood will become famous soon enoughdurwood will become famous soon enoughdurwood will become famous soon enoughdurwood will become famous soon enoughdurwood will become famous soon enoughdurwood will become famous soon enough

are you a tall person-i.e around 6ft? If so I'd recommend the mazda6 over the 3. BOth are good cars, my fiance owns the 3, I own a 6. If you have never driven a 6, you will enjoy the comfortable seats, plenty of leg room and excellent handling. I had 60K on my first one with no trouble, the second one is going strong and I'm at 42K.

Downside gas mileage is medicore. it's too bad you can't wait a little bit, the 2009 model as far as looks puts the accord and camry to shame. Other downside, stock radio is not friendly to being removed and replaced with aftermarket.

/personal opinion.

Maybe one day, enough lemmings will fill the trench, and people can cross over to the promised Nirvana.-some wiseguy.
durwood is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-05-2008   #19
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Thank for the suggestion Kris, but i just dont see myself driving a Kia. I have heard very good things about them and i think they look quite nice actually, but i can get over the name

Yea i also dont want a car that will be replace in the near future by a new body style...thanks for the insight on the Mazda 3 and 6
Old 02-05-2008   #20

Rep Power: 158 Foglght will become famous soon enoughFoglght will become famous soon enoughFoglght will become famous soon enoughFoglght will become famous soon enoughFoglght will become famous soon enoughFoglght will become famous soon enough

If you drive an Altima 2.5S with a 6-speed and don't think its fun to drive, I'd be shocked.
Foglght is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-05-2008   #21
DIYMA 500 Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foglght View Post
If you drive an Altima 2.5S with a 6-speed and don't think its fun to drive, I'd be shocked.
I'm not denying that it'd probably be peppy, but I'd never have one, especially when there's a 6 cylinder available...

Old 02-05-2008   #22

Rep Power: 176 chadillac3 will become famous soon enoughchadillac3 will become famous soon enoughchadillac3 will become famous soon enoughchadillac3 will become famous soon enoughchadillac3 will become famous soon enoughchadillac3 will become famous soon enough

Send a message via AIM to chadillac3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMaxSE-L View Post
I'm not denying that it'd probably be peppy, but I'd never have one, especially when there's a 6 cylinder available...
If a person is looking at total cost of ownership, the 4 cyl makes a lot of sense if it's fast enough for them. Car is a couple thousand cheaper, save probably 20-25% in gas costs.

I used to think the way you do, but once you get to a point where you're not as worried about what car is faster, it makes decisions a lot easier.
chadillac3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-05-2008   #23
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadillac3 View Post
If a person is looking at total cost of ownership, the 4 cyl makes a lot of sense if it's fast enough for them. Car is a couple thousand cheaper, save probably 20-25% in gas costs.

I used to think the way you do, but once you get to a point where you're not as worried about what car is faster, it makes decisions a lot easier.
Exactly my thinking
Old 02-05-2008   #24
DIYMA 500 Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadillac3 View Post

I agree 100% - however the decision will be entirely dependant on personal preference, just as you mentioned. Me personally, I think I'll always be concerned with how quick and fun to drive my vehicles are; I'm a car guy and always will be. Not that I am always hauling ass(anymore), but I like the sporty feel of a fast car that's fun to sling around when I feel the need.

Obviously the OP doesn't, and that's cool. That's why I said the 4cyl. might be ok for him. It is a good way to save a few grand on your purchase...

-Matt

Old 02-05-2008   #25
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Yea i totally respect that and coming from a 1.8L 4 cycle already i dont think i would be disappointed. I would love to have a V6 if it was in the price range, but unfortunately they arent and if they are they dont fit in the other criteria

I realize that going used would totally open my options but coming from a family who has always bought new, its hard to break the habit LOL I forgot to mention that my parents will be co-signers, so their approval pricewise is important
Sponsored Links
Advertisement