Carpet questions - Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-09-2018   #1

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 91 Jscoyne2 has a spectacular aura aboutJscoyne2 has a spectacular aura aboutJscoyne2 has a spectacular aura aboutJscoyne2 has a spectacular aura aboutJscoyne2 has a spectacular aura aboutJscoyne2 has a spectacular aura aboutJscoyne2 has a spectacular aura aboutJscoyne2 has a spectacular aura about

Default Carpet questions

So im having a really hard time finding replacement carpet for the Subaru and im wondering how hard it is too mold your own.

Has anyone tried this? Is it difficult? If not, im thinking of adding foam padding to the bottom isolate from the vibrations and sound.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk
Jscoyne2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-09-2018   #2

Rep Power: 13 bravesbaseball17 will become famous soon enoughbravesbaseball17 will become famous soon enoughbravesbaseball17 will become famous soon enoughbravesbaseball17 will become famous soon enoughbravesbaseball17 will become famous soon enoughbravesbaseball17 will become famous soon enough

Default Re: Carpet questions

Are you sold on carpet?

I'm actually in the process of ripping the interior out of my 03 Maxima and I'm seriously thinking about using mass loaded vinyl designed for use as a floor liner, instead of carpet with a mass backing.

Something like this:

https://www.sounddeadenershowdown.co...ier-mats-60x54
bravesbaseball17 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-09-2018   #3
Upgrade Your Membership!

Rep Power: 42 Bnlcmbcar will become famous soon enoughBnlcmbcar will become famous soon enoughBnlcmbcar will become famous soon enoughBnlcmbcar will become famous soon enoughBnlcmbcar will become famous soon enoughBnlcmbcar will become famous soon enough

I removed stock carpet and used a CCF/MLV layer as floor then used SDS Cargo mat material on top of that which more CCF/MLV with a cosmetic pebble finish layer. Here are some pics of when I was putting it in.

Caveats for using the SDS Cargo Mat Material are that it is expensive and not the easiest to work with (thick and heavy). You have to plan out the cuts and folds very carefully to not waste material.
Bnlcmbcar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to Bnlcmbcar For This Useful Post:
bravesbaseball17 (11-09-2018)
Old 11-09-2018   #4

Rep Power: 13 bravesbaseball17 will become famous soon enoughbravesbaseball17 will become famous soon enoughbravesbaseball17 will become famous soon enoughbravesbaseball17 will become famous soon enoughbravesbaseball17 will become famous soon enoughbravesbaseball17 will become famous soon enough

Holy cow that looks great!

Exactly what I want my interior to look like...it's essentially a giant WeatherTech mat.

Two questions -

1. How many of the mats did you have to buy to cover your floor?

2. I've got tan leather seats and tan/beige/light brown trim. In your opinion, how do you think the black floor would go with that trim?
Old 11-09-2018   #5
Upgrade Your Membership!

Rep Power: 42 Bnlcmbcar will become famous soon enoughBnlcmbcar will become famous soon enoughBnlcmbcar will become famous soon enoughBnlcmbcar will become famous soon enoughBnlcmbcar will become famous soon enoughBnlcmbcar will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by bravesbaseball17 View Post
Holy cow that looks great!

Exactly what I want my interior to look like...it's essentially a giant WeatherTech mat.

Two questions -

1. How many of the mats did you have to buy to cover your floor?

2. I've got tan leather seats and tan/beige/light brown trim. In your opinion, how do you think the black floor would go with that trim?
1. I ordered 2 mats. I have 2016 Honda Civic Sedan. 1st mat provided enough coverage for the interior from the front (bottom of firewall) to the back (bottom of back bench). 2nd mat will be used for the trunk.

2. Tough call more of what your personal tastes are. Personally I went with a function over cosmetics vibe with the civic build.
Old 11-09-2018   #6
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 109 seafish has a spectacular aura aboutseafish has a spectacular aura aboutseafish has a spectacular aura aboutseafish has a spectacular aura aboutseafish has a spectacular aura aboutseafish has a spectacular aura aboutseafish has a spectacular aura aboutseafish has a spectacular aura aboutseafish has a spectacular aura aboutseafish has a spectacular aura about

So are their acoustic advantages of the SDS cargo mat other then external noise reduction due to density??

"THE BASS OF THE PEOPLE IS THE GOD OF GOD"
seafish is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-09-2018   #7
Upgrade Your Membership!

Quote:
Originally Posted by seafish View Post
So are their acoustic advantages of the SDS cargo mat other then external noise reduction due to density??
Not to my knowledge. It is literally the same thing as Second Skin Luxury Liner Pro but with an extra thin (but durable) cosmetic layer on top of the MLV.
The Following User Says Thank You to Bnlcmbcar For This Useful Post:
seafish (11-09-2018)
Old 11-09-2018   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bnlcmbcar View Post
1. I ordered 2 mats. I have 2016 Honda Civic Sedan. 1st mat provided enough coverage for the interior from the front (bottom of firewall) to the back (bottom of back bench). 2nd mat will be used for the trunk.

2. Tough call more of what your personal tastes are. Personally I went with a function over cosmetics vibe with the civic build.
I hear ya. I was more curious if you had done something like that yourself, and what your result was like.

I've noticed that a lot of new cars use more contrast in this way - black carpet and different colors for the rest of the interior, so I'm confident it will look good.

And regardless of what it looks like, I agree completely with you on the function over form argument. As I was looking for mass backed carpeting, I found an article on Jalopnik that stopped me in my tracks: "...consider this: the very existence of floor mats is a condemnation of the failure of the carís carpet to do its job. If the carpet needs another bit of removable carpet over it to protect it, something is deeply, profoundly wrong."

https://jalopnik.com/carpet-in-cars-...t-a-1783975814
Old 11-10-2018   #9

Rep Power: 41 JH1973 will become famous soon enoughJH1973 will become famous soon enoughJH1973 will become famous soon enoughJH1973 will become famous soon enoughJH1973 will become famous soon enoughJH1973 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bnlcmbcar View Post
I removed stock carpet and used a CCF/MLV layer as floor then used SDS Cargo mat material on top of that which more CCF/MLV with a cosmetic pebble finish layer. Here are some pics of when I was putting it in.

Caveats for using the SDS Cargo Mat Material are that it is expensive and not the easiest to work with (thick and heavy). You have to plan out the cuts and folds very carefully to waste material.
Dang that looks nice!!

"Rumors of Bob but never Bob.........So what is it you tell people you do these days Bob?"
JH1973 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-10-2018   #10
Upgrade Your Membership!

The most comparable product to the SDS Cargo mat is DynaMatís DynaDeck product. If you you google image DynaMat DynaDeck you can see more examples of what can be achieved with the material.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement