Finely tuned audio VS. finely tuned engine... - Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-13-2019   #1

Rep Power: 81 jimmydee will become famous soon enoughjimmydee will become famous soon enoughjimmydee will become famous soon enoughjimmydee will become famous soon enoughjimmydee will become famous soon enoughjimmydee will become famous soon enough

Default Finely tuned audio VS. finely tuned engine...

There's no right or wrong answer here... but I was wondering what sound is more impressive to you?
  • A finely tuned car audio system?
  • Or a finely tuned high performance engine?
I'm struggling with the answer myself.
I've spent years (and tens of thousands of dollars) building an incredibly nice sounding car audio system.
Lots of trial and error. Lots of experimenting. Lots of expensive pieces, bought and sold.
I really do feel that I've reached 'Car Audio Xanadu', as far as my system goes.

With that said; I also find myself turning the stereo off, and just listening to the sweet exhaust notes from my car...
I can drive for ages, and listen to nothing but the engine and exhaust.
That crackle on downshifts, and pop every time it changes gears, is pure music to my ears.

My car is no Lamborghini... but it is pretty nice, and creates its own engine tunes.
I just find myself turning my stereo off, more and more, to listen to the vehicle sound.

Anyone else find themselves in the same boat? (or car?)

https://i.imgur.com/6f2B75s.jpg
jimmydee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-13-2019   #2

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 62 Grinder will become famous soon enoughGrinder will become famous soon enoughGrinder will become famous soon enoughGrinder will become famous soon enoughGrinder will become famous soon enoughGrinder will become famous soon enough

Default Re: Finely tuned audio VS. finely tuned engine...

This:

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

Seriously though, I've never had the opportunity to hear a finely tuned car stereo (i,e, never been to an SQ car stereo meet).

I've also never had a truly sweet sounding car or motorcycle.

Nonetheless, I think my short answer would have to be "both" (separately, of course).
Grinder is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-13-2019   #3
Upgrade Your Membership!

Rep Power: 34 GreatLaBroski will become famous soon enoughGreatLaBroski will become famous soon enoughGreatLaBroski will become famous soon enoughGreatLaBroski will become famous soon enoughGreatLaBroski will become famous soon enoughGreatLaBroski will become famous soon enough

My preferences ebb and flow. Sometimes I get on a kick where I only want to listen to podcasts. Sometimes I only want to listen to music. Sometimes nothing at all.

2017 Chevy Bolt EV - Work in Progress: Scanspeak D3004/6040-10 Beryllium tweeters, Scanspeak 12mu mids, Scanspeak 18wu midbasses, Scanspeak 32w/4878T00 13" Subwoofer, Scanspeak 10F / D3004/6020's (rear doors), Scanspeak 10F (rear fill). MiniDSP C-DSP 8x12 v2 DL, Arc Audio KS 300.2 v2, Arc Audio SKS300.6 Prototype, Arc Audio KS300.4 v2
GreatLaBroski is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-13-2019   #4

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 94 DavidRam will become famous soon enoughDavidRam will become famous soon enoughDavidRam will become famous soon enoughDavidRam will become famous soon enoughDavidRam will become famous soon enoughDavidRam will become famous soon enoughDavidRam will become famous soon enough

When I hear an awesome audio system I get goose bumps. When I hear a bad ass engine/exhaust sound I get a stiffy. Two totally different experiences! Lol

2018 Jeep GC - AF GB10s, GB25s, GS690s, Zapco & Mosconi amps, (2) AF GB12s, Helix Pro MK2 & Director, Fiio X5
My wife was furious when she overheard me say I want to do a 3 way in my Jeep
DavidRam is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to DavidRam For This Useful Post:
GreatLaBroski (07-13-2019)
Old 07-13-2019   #5

Rep Power: 82 JCsAudio will become famous soon enoughJCsAudio will become famous soon enoughJCsAudio will become famous soon enoughJCsAudio will become famous soon enoughJCsAudio will become famous soon enoughJCsAudio will become famous soon enoughJCsAudio will become famous soon enough

Nah, I used to like the sound of a throaty V8 engine and the snarl of a wailing 60-degree V6 but now I much prefer the quiet comfort of a luxury vehicle. No noise is better. The best performance car I ever drove was a Tesla Model S P85D in ludacrous mode. It was easily the fastest car I ever drove and dead quiet while doing it and a quiet car also makes for a great SQ car too so itís a win, win in my book. A good sounding SQ car just isnít as enjoyable when all you hear is the drone of an exhaust or roar of the tires. Below is the video of me driving that car with my wife laughing in the background.

https://youtu.be/ti6IqP0tyng

Sienna SB29 Focal PS165V Alpine SWS10 Mazda CX5 AF GB15 AF GB60 AF GB12 Ford F150 AF GB10 JLC5 Sundown SD310.
JCsAudio is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-13-2019   #6
Upgrade Your Membership!

Rep Power: 34 GreatLaBroski will become famous soon enoughGreatLaBroski will become famous soon enoughGreatLaBroski will become famous soon enoughGreatLaBroski will become famous soon enoughGreatLaBroski will become famous soon enoughGreatLaBroski will become famous soon enough

There's a lot of Tesla haters out there, but I LOVED my Model S.

2017 Chevy Bolt EV - Work in Progress: Scanspeak D3004/6040-10 Beryllium tweeters, Scanspeak 12mu mids, Scanspeak 18wu midbasses, Scanspeak 32w/4878T00 13" Subwoofer, Scanspeak 10F / D3004/6020's (rear doors), Scanspeak 10F (rear fill). MiniDSP C-DSP 8x12 v2 DL, Arc Audio KS 300.2 v2, Arc Audio SKS300.6 Prototype, Arc Audio KS300.4 v2
GreatLaBroski is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-13-2019   #7

Rep Power: 42 nhtunes will become famous soon enoughnhtunes will become famous soon enoughnhtunes will become famous soon enoughnhtunes will become famous soon enoughnhtunes will become famous soon enoughnhtunes will become famous soon enough

Different vehicles, I enjoy driving the old truck with the humming straight six and the light whine of the tranny and transfer case. Unfortunately the better it gets the more I find needs fixing.
nhtunes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-13-2019   #8

Rep Power: 36 ckirocz28 will become famous soon enoughckirocz28 will become famous soon enoughckirocz28 will become famous soon enoughckirocz28 will become famous soon enoughckirocz28 will become famous soon enoughckirocz28 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmydee View Post
That crackle on downshifts, and pop every time it changes gears, is pure music to my ears.
I've always seen crackles and pops as malfunctions, unburned air/fuel mixture hitting hot exhaust and exploding in said exhaust. Oh, and "IT shifts", turn in your man card right now.
I'm just kidding! I'm the same way, sometimes I listen to music, sometimes my car,
ckirocz28 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-13-2019   #9

Rep Power: 81 jimmydee will become famous soon enoughjimmydee will become famous soon enoughjimmydee will become famous soon enoughjimmydee will become famous soon enoughjimmydee will become famous soon enoughjimmydee will become famous soon enough

The two guys in this video are kinda dorky... but the video details the engine/exhaust notes of the 440i that I'm describing:

https://youtu.be/l5euMvsgpHo

At about 25 seconds into the video, they punch it, and you can see what I'm talking about.

https://i.imgur.com/6f2B75s.jpg
jimmydee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-13-2019   #10
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 117 diy.phil will become famous soon enoughdiy.phil will become famous soon enoughdiy.phil will become famous soon enoughdiy.phil will become famous soon enoughdiy.phil will become famous soon enoughdiy.phil will become famous soon enoughdiy.phil will become famous soon enough

I have that similar mpower tune and exhaust. Yeah it sounds sweet. With the windows up it's too quiet because the entire vehicle is factory sealed/deaden lol. With the windows down and passing another large vehicle (van/SUV) the sound reflected back is sweet... it crackles/pops like it's going to fall apart and spill parts all over the freeway lol

diy.phil
diy.phil is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-14-2019   #11
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 99 Lou Frasier2 will become famous soon enoughLou Frasier2 will become famous soon enoughLou Frasier2 will become famous soon enoughLou Frasier2 will become famous soon enoughLou Frasier2 will become famous soon enoughLou Frasier2 will become famous soon enough

a finely tuned 2 stroke motorcycle engine hands down,
Lou Frasier2 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-20-2019   #12
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 134 rmenergy will become famous soon enoughrmenergy will become famous soon enoughrmenergy will become famous soon enoughrmenergy will become famous soon enoughrmenergy will become famous soon enoughrmenergy will become famous soon enough

It's the entire experience for me with performance cars. I'm much more into track days & mountain back roads so the connection to the car & the feedback is more important than the engine sound. That being said, my old '66 Mustang had a built "289" that went out to 8200rpm. The sound of the mechanical valve train in that motor above 7k was awesome. The 392 that replaced it was more powerful (and reliable as it was hyd roller & only 6200rpm) but a completely different experience.

A nice car audio system is great for a commute or long drive but doesn't give the same emotional response. Satisfying but not exhilarating.
rmenergy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-20-2019   #13

Rep Power: 36 ckirocz28 will become famous soon enoughckirocz28 will become famous soon enoughckirocz28 will become famous soon enoughckirocz28 will become famous soon enoughckirocz28 will become famous soon enoughckirocz28 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmenergy View Post
It's the entire experience for me with performance cars. I'm much more into track days & mountain back roads so the connection to the car & the feedback is more important than the engine sound. That being said, my old '66 Mustang had a built "289" that went out to 8200rpm. The sound of the mechanical valve train in that motor above 7k was awesome. The 392 that replaced it was more powerful (and reliable as it was hyd roller & only 6200rpm) but a completely different experience.

A nice car audio system is great for a commute or long drive but doesn't give the same emotional response. Satisfying but not exhilarating.
Here, here! I'm a Camaro guy but those Ford small blocks at high rpm make a sound so sweet that I was almost converted when I first heard one.
ckirocz28 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to ckirocz28 For This Useful Post:
rmenergy (07-21-2019)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement