Wood boring bit stuck in tree - Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 1 Week Ago   #1

Rep Power: 85 syc0path will become famous soon enoughsyc0path will become famous soon enoughsyc0path will become famous soon enoughsyc0path will become famous soon enoughsyc0path will become famous soon enoughsyc0path will become famous soon enough

Default Wood boring bit stuck in tree

I have an old cedar tree w/ 2 trunks. They're splitting further apart, so I searched and the recommend approach is to drill a hole thru the trunks, run a threaded dowel rod thru the hole, and then tighten nuts on each end to pull the trunks together.

The problem is that the wood boring bit and the drill bit extender are stuck in 1 of the trunks. The bit spins freely, but it won't cut in any deeper if I push on it, and I can't pull it back out even w/ a vice grip. I just can't think of a scenario that would cause this. I know there is a hollow area inside the trunk, so that may have something to do w/ it.

I've tried drilling some other holes in the area, but I can't get in deep enough (there isn't much room between the tree trunks, so I can't hit the angle I want).

Below is a pic similar to what is stuck in the tree. I already drilled a hole all the way thru both trunks w/ this setup, so I know it works.

syc0path is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 1 Week Ago   #2

Rep Power: 39 nhtunes will become famous soon enoughnhtunes will become famous soon enoughnhtunes will become famous soon enoughnhtunes will become famous soon enoughnhtunes will become famous soon enoughnhtunes will become famous soon enough

Default Re: Wood boring bit stuck in tree

You have wood chips clogging the hole behind the bit head. You have to clean the hole out some. Piece of wire, compressed air?
nhtunes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 1 Week Ago   #3
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 93 RRizz is on a distinguished roadRRizz is on a distinguished roadRRizz is on a distinguished roadRRizz is on a distinguished roadRRizz is on a distinguished road

Im gonna have to agree. Your best bet would have been a long auger bit. it may take a little backyard engineering (pun intended) to get that bit back out. Really shouldn't be that difficult, though.
Was the bit much bigger than the chuck on the extension??

DEX P99rs / Zapco / Stereo Integrity / MECA Street 3rd place 2016 World Finals
RRizz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 1 Week Ago   #4

Rep Power: 40 Mahapederdon will become famous soon enoughMahapederdon will become famous soon enoughMahapederdon will become famous soon enoughMahapederdon will become famous soon enoughMahapederdon will become famous soon enoughMahapederdon will become famous soon enough

I've gotten those so stuck with packed wood behind them that they never came out. I broke a drill on one of em.

Try spinning the drill and pull out and in a bunch.
Mahapederdon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 6 Days Ago   #5

Rep Power: 0 JohnTB72 will become famous soon enoughJohnTB72 will become famous soon enoughJohnTB72 will become famous soon enoughJohnTB72 will become famous soon enoughJohnTB72 will become famous soon enoughJohnTB72 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahapederdon View Post
I've gotten those so stuck with packed wood behind them that they never came out. I broke a drill on one of em.

Try spinning the drill and pull out and in a bunch.
What he said... If you do get it out when you resume the drilling process go an inch or two at most and then keep dragging the shavings back out of the hole. You can get an 18" wood boring bit at (insert big box home improvement store of choice here) for $10 or so to avoid the extension as it just helps trap the shavings.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
JohnTB72 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 6 Days Ago   #6
Upgrade Your Membership!

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 52 Holmz will become famous soon enoughHolmz will become famous soon enoughHolmz will become famous soon enoughHolmz will become famous soon enoughHolmz will become famous soon enoughHolmz will become famous soon enough

Many people move from a spade to an auger bit.
Holmz is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 6 Days Ago   #7
Upgrade Your Membership!

Rep Power: 39 dsquared will become famous soon enoughdsquared will become famous soon enoughdsquared will become famous soon enoughdsquared will become famous soon enoughdsquared will become famous soon enoughdsquared will become famous soon enough

Cut the tree down .😂
dsquared is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 6 Days Ago   #8
Upgrade Your Membership!

Rep Power: 39 dsquared will become famous soon enoughdsquared will become famous soon enoughdsquared will become famous soon enoughdsquared will become famous soon enoughdsquared will become famous soon enoughdsquared will become famous soon enough

No seriously, you probably do more damage trying to get it out .. more holes and more chance of disease even though it’s cedar.
I’d just leave it in and drill a pilot hole for a lag bolt.
Trees will grow right around it
dsquared is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 6 Days Ago   #9

Rep Power: 53 Focused4door will become famous soon enoughFocused4door will become famous soon enoughFocused4door will become famous soon enoughFocused4door will become famous soon enoughFocused4door will become famous soon enoughFocused4door will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsquared View Post
Cut the tree down .😂
Nobody ever listens to this advice regarding old trees but they should.

The sooner you cut down the problem tree and plant a replacement the sooner the new tree gets big and beautiful.
Focused4door is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 6 Days Ago   #10
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 91 CDT FAN will become famous soon enoughCDT FAN will become famous soon enoughCDT FAN will become famous soon enoughCDT FAN will become famous soon enoughCDT FAN will become famous soon enoughCDT FAN will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsquared View Post
No seriously, you probably do more damage trying to get it out .. more holes and more chance of disease even though it’s cedar.
I’d just leave it in and drill a pilot hole for a lag bolt.
Trees will grow right around it
x2 Just get a new bit and drill a new hole.
CDT FAN is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 4 Days Ago   #11

Rep Power: 85 syc0path will become famous soon enoughsyc0path will become famous soon enoughsyc0path will become famous soon enoughsyc0path will become famous soon enoughsyc0path will become famous soon enoughsyc0path will become famous soon enough

The problem is that it's a big, old tree that's actually pretty healthy other than the split. So I don't want to cut it down, becuz a replacement tree would never get that big in my lifetime. Not to mention it would cost about $1000 to take it down.

The size also means that an auger-style bit didn't seem like a possible option. I had to drill holes about 45" deep, and it would be almost impossible to drill a hole from each side and get them to line up in the middle. The longest auger bit I could find was only 30" long. It was also $131 and would have required a 1" drill that I would have buy or rent. And it still wasn't long enough anyway!

So that means that I would have to use an extender to use an auger bit. An extender has a bulge to accommodate the shank of the bit. So what I really needed was a 3/4" bit w/ 1/4" shank in order for the extender to chase thru the hole. I had never seen an auger-style bit like that before, so that's why I used a paddle-style bit.

Then a couple days ago when I was looking for something else, I discovered that Irwin makes exactly what I was looking for:

As for the bit stuck in the tree, the problem wasn't sawdust packed in the hole -- I knew that could be a potential issue, so I frequently ran the bit in and out to clear the sawdust. I used this approach on the 1st hole and didn't have any trouble. As I mentioned, there was a hollow spot in 1 of the trunks, and some of the wood inside was dead and dried out. In fact, some of it had splintered so that it looked like the bristles of a brush. So I think what happened is that the bit hit these bristles and some of them got pushed out of the way rather than being cleanly cut. Once the bulge in the extender hit the remaining bristles, the bit wouldn't go in any further. And the bristles behind the head of the drill bit wouldn't allow it to be pulled back out either. I drilled some relief holes in the dead wood using the Irwin bit and that freed up the stuck bit enough that I was able to pull it out.

I installed a total of 3 rods (at about 4', 5', and 12' up) and the split is already noticeably better. I plan to Bondo the area where the bit got stuck (5') to seal it up and keep animals out.
syc0path is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement